PDA

View Full Version : Will Wilson open the play book?

achiro
10/16/2006, 12:23 PM
So does Wilson continue the same basic schemes or does he start to get a little more creative? I had planned on starting a thread titled "Is AD to Wilson as Young was to Davis?" but we all know that is beside the point now.

Anyway, what do you think?

BASSooner
10/16/2006, 12:27 PM
The only way he opens his playbook is if he quits his 50/50 pass/run BS and starts becoming less predictable, and develops plays that actually work.

Widescreen
10/16/2006, 01:19 PM
I don't think the playcalling has been bad. I think execution has been bad at times. We would've looked better offensively Saturday had Iglesias not decided to grow stonehands. Or if PT hadn't launched that pass 10 feet over the receivers head into the stands. etc.

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/16/2006, 01:23 PM
Who is Will Wilson ?

;)

bixby28
10/16/2006, 01:55 PM
I think the offense will be less conservative with Thompson now. He's a good runner out of the pocket, but we'll see.

The Maestro
10/16/2006, 01:57 PM
I go four wides with one of those being a tight end...rotating Joe Jon and Jermaine. One back set and make this offense nuttier than squirrel terds. No reason not to get real imaginative now. Keep running...he did with Damien Anderson at Northwestern...but spread out the defense.

MikeInNorman
10/16/2006, 02:50 PM
Because it's incredibly easy to totally change your offense in the middle of the season, and all. :rolleyes:

Just like NCAA 2006!

The Maestro
10/16/2006, 02:53 PM
Yeah, cause we've never done that this year...oh, yeah. That was five wides.

My bad.

achiro
10/16/2006, 02:55 PM
Because it's incredibly easy to totally change your offense in the middle of the season, and all. :rolleyes:

Just like NCAA 2006!
So I guess we put you in the no changes column?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/16/2006, 05:18 PM
reverses 70 times in a row!

TJKDone
10/16/2006, 05:25 PM
"Is AD to Wilson as Young was to Davis?"

Wilson < Davis <<< Long <<<< Mangino <<<<< Leach

As a Longhorn, I pray that Wilson is the OC for years to come.

Hook'em

SoonerRoads
10/16/2006, 05:38 PM
The Playbook HAS to change. Mr. 90% is history so they have to do something different and mix it up more. I hated seeing AD go down, both for the team and for him, but this is going to make our Offense less predictable unless he catches the dreaded "third and long disease"(1st down run, 2nd down run, 3rd down scramble from blitz and attempt predictable pass for a first down). And while they are at it, they might try throwing to someone other than Malcolm Kelly for touchdowns(10 passing TD's, 6 of which were to Kelly). I am sure that opposing D-Coordinators aren't going to notice that tendency. He might be the only one who seems to be able to catch the ball right now, but they better find a solution for that ASAP.

It is going to be interesting to see what they decide to do.

Anyone hear whose Redshirt they are planning to pull?????

Boomer Sooner

Jackal
10/16/2006, 06:04 PM
I think the offense will be less conservative with Thompson now. He's a good runner out of the pocket, but we'll see.

Why do people keep saying this, I haven't seen PT run.......his mobility and pocket presence near Drew Bledsoe's level.

Jdog
10/16/2006, 08:09 PM
Why do people keep saying this, I haven't seen PT run.......his mobility and pocket presence near Drew Bledsoe's level.

Guess you didn't see him as White's back up.

TrophyCollector
10/16/2006, 09:37 PM
The only way he opens his playbook is if he quits his 50/50 pass/run BS and starts becoming less predictable, and develops plays that actually work.

Good lord, all the guy has done is put up 396 yards and over 32 points per game. The majority of which has been passing yards, though very balanced. That's more yards per game than Texas or USC or Florida or Ohio St. or Notre Dame.

Do you know why he handed it to AD so much? Because he is the best player in all of college football and he would be a complete ****ing idiot if he didn't. How freaking creative are you going to get on your running plays? How much more successful are you going to be running than 170 yards per game to go with 200+ passing?

Yea, ****ing stupid Chuck Long and dumb *** Kevin Wilson - all they do is AD left, AD right, AD up the middle. Too bad we don't have a god damn offensive guru like Joe Dickenson. Joe D. would line AD up at wide receiver and run a double reverse option to AD - that would work for sure.

There sure are some lost Sooner fans.

goingoneight
10/16/2006, 10:39 PM
They won't be happy until we run some ancient running offense like A&M does and only score 14 points and run down useful time on the clock. I have seen KW use the I a lot, but so what??? That keeps defenses honest, and is/was AD's strength as we all know. People hating on KW need to look at all the times Chuck long ran it up the middle on third and really long. That's just asking your opponent "Hey, will you take this easy field position???"

KW has run several play-action, rollouts, reverses and TE plays so far with what is basically a I-formation team. Call me crazy, but running that kind of stuff with a young OL and a rusty QB situation (though he's playing great) is pretty damn ballsy if you ask me...

TheUnnamedSooner
10/16/2006, 10:40 PM
reverses 70 times in a row!

Then fake it!

achiro
10/16/2006, 11:00 PM
They won't be happy until we run some ancient running offense like A&M does and only score 14 points and run down useful time on the clock. I have seen KW use the I a lot, but so what??? That keeps defenses honest, and is/was AD's strength as we all know. People hating on KW need to look at all the times Chuck long ran it up the middle on third and really long. That's just asking your opponent "Hey, will you take this easy field position???"

KW has run several play-action, rollouts, reverses and TE plays so far with what is basically a I-formation team. Call me crazy, but running that kind of stuff with a young OL and a rusty QB situation (though he's playing great) is pretty damn ballsy if you ask me...
I pretty much agree with you here. Also, to be clear, I think KW can be a great OC. I just think he hasn't had to be horribly creative with AD. Now I think he may need to be. That was the point of this thread. The good news though is that I think he has the talent(his and the players) to do it. We shall see.

snp
10/16/2006, 11:08 PM
Then fake it!

What are you, Chuck Long? :rolleyes:

stoopified
10/17/2006, 01:31 PM
Junk all this I and spread stuff and get back to OUr roots,the Split-T.Eddie Crowder could teach it to Bob and the guys.

n8v_ndn
10/17/2006, 01:59 PM
Trust the 'tache guys.

He had to be creative to get that kinda production at Northwestern, and it's been a pretty balanced attack so far this year.

caphorns
10/17/2006, 02:08 PM
more laterals ;)

toast
10/17/2006, 02:13 PM
more laterals ;)

why, is the same referee crew working our game again? ;)

BASSooner
10/17/2006, 02:29 PM
Good lord, all the guy has done is put up 396 yards and over 32 points per game. The majority of which has been passing yards, though very balanced. That's more yards per game than Texas or USC or Florida or Ohio St. or Notre Dame.

Do you know why he handed it to AD so much? Because he is the best player in all of college football and he would be a complete ****ing idiot if he didn't. How freaking creative are you going to get on your running plays? How much more successful are you going to be running than 170 yards per game to go with 200+ passing?

Yea, ****ing stupid Chuck Long and dumb *** Kevin Wilson - all they do is AD left, AD right, AD up the middle. Too bad we don't have a god damn offensive guru like Joe Dickenson. Joe D. would line AD up at wide receiver and run a double reverse option to AD - that would work for sure.

There sure are some lost Sooner fans. I do understand what you are saying. BUT if plays with AD do NOT work, use other tactics that do work. That's all I am sayin. Try to be somewhat balanced, yes to be less predictable but, when you are nearing the end of a game and the score is close and you don't wont the opposing team to have the ball, still try to make a 1st down rather than having plays that don't work(i am talking about games where the run-game just did not work). That is what KW does, and it is sickening. When a game is over, and you're ahead by 3 or 1, score! So it makes it harder for the opposing team to do the same.

snp
10/17/2006, 02:54 PM
I do understand what you are saying. BUT if plays with AD do NOT work, use other tactics that do work. That's all I am sayin. Try to be somewhat balanced, yes to be less predictable but, when you are nearing the end of a game and the score is close and you don't wont the opposing team to have the ball, still try to make a 1st down rather than having plays that don't work(i am talking about games where the run-game just did not work). That is what KW does, and it is sickening. When a game is over, and you're ahead by 3 or 1, score! So it makes it harder for the opposing team to do the same.

AD was one of the leading rushers in the nation this year. I don't think you understand what the term "plays do not work" means.

Also, he was PA the hell outta ISU. I was loving it.

MikeInNorman
10/17/2006, 03:14 PM
Because that's what offensive coordinators do: they try as hard as they can to find plays that don't work, and when they find those gems, they stick with them. Again, :rolleyes:

n8v_ndn is right on. Listen. Learn.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2006, 03:18 PM
I foresee many fire Kevin Wilson threads in the future...and also Brent Venables....and Bob Stoops.....and Cale Gundy...and that kid that gave me a ripped program at the Iowa State game....

goingoneight
10/17/2006, 07:56 PM
So you forsee the admins letting Nick rejoin? :D

KW has been just as unlucky as any Sooner this year. Young, inexperienced OL, released starting QB for you-know-why and had to start over new with a converted WR (god bless you paul, you're doing great) now injured AD and on top of that, tough schedule and officiating that ranks among the worst in history. Remember how we got away from that BS same-old-same-old in the Holiday Bowl and beat the fifth-ranked team in the country with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores??? KW is a good hire, and he's not afraid to uses his cojones every now and then. Any time you run a play-action rollout against a defense you know nothing about, first game of the season, with a QB we all know his situation being rusty and all, I say he's doing the best we could expect him to.

PAW
10/17/2006, 08:14 PM
Stoops said there would be more diversity in the offense.

On if the coaches believe backup running backs will bring some diversity to the offense:
“We do. Jacob (Gutierrez) is a guy that is hard to tackle in a phone booth. Allen (Patrick) is a guy that is a little more like Adrian, who is good downhill. But he is also good in the shotgun. He and Chris Brown have really good moves and vision, and can hit some great seams in our practices and scrimmages. So we will see. But they do, and they are great players.”

I think we will see a lot less I-formation.

Scotty
10/17/2006, 08:21 PM
Stoops said there would be more diversity in the offense.

What the hell's diversity?

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/photo/david_koechner.jpg

:D

Al Gore
10/17/2006, 09:43 PM
Who is Will Wilson ?

;)Played for the Royals.....