PDA

View Full Version : Got a tour of the pentagon today...

sooneron
10/15/2006, 11:38 PM
All I can say is Wow! It was really awe-inspiring. Seeing all of that history- Bradley/MacArthur/Ike in the corridors was supah cool. Also, the congressional medal of honor room had an air to it that was, just different. Seeing all those names was incredible.

Something I'll never forget.

SicEmBaylor
10/16/2006, 12:39 AM
Bradley/MacArthur/Ike
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

jk the sooner fan
10/16/2006, 06:27 AM

I negged you for that.....Omar Bradley is one of the greatest Generals to ever wear a uniform....the other two werent slouches either

Okla-homey
10/16/2006, 06:41 AM
All I can say is Wow! It was really awe-inspiring. Seeing all of that history- Bradley/MacArthur/Ike in the corridors was supah cool. Also, the congressional medal of honor room had an air to it that was, just different. Seeing all those names was incredible.

Did you have a coke and a smile at the "Ground Zero Cafe" in the center of the courtyard? (so named because it is undoubtedly on every nuke-armed America hater's target list)

picasso
10/16/2006, 09:08 AM
I negged you for that.....Omar Bradley is one of the greatest Generals to ever wear a uniform....the other two werent slouches either
if I'm not mistaken. the 3 of them kinda helped out with the WWII effort.

OklahomaTuba
10/16/2006, 09:10 AM

What the hell???

Okla-homey
10/16/2006, 09:15 AM
He's doesn't like Brad, Mac or Ike because they didn't believe in states rights to maintain chattel slavery or something.

Jerk
10/16/2006, 09:16 AM
Also, the congressional medal of honor room had an air to it that was, just different. Seeing all those names was incredible.

Randall Shughart's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Shughart) family is selling off his personal firearm's collection next Saturday. I think it's in PA. I think it's kind of sad, really.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e192/joelnro/ShugartSale.jpg

SicEmBaylor
10/16/2006, 01:32 PM

Bradley>Ike>Mac

Bradley was a great great general I'll give you that, but he all too often had an infantry officer's mindset in a rapidly fluid mobile warfare campaign. This was fine when an offensive would bog down, but not so fine when dictating large scale armor movement.

Ike was the greatest staff general the US has ever, and probably will ever have. It'd doubtful there are many other officers who could have kept the glue of the trans-atlantic alliance sticking throughout the war at times when it could very easily have come unglued. That being said, he was lacking in both strategic and especially tactical ability. Although, the latter is forgivable since he rarely involved himself with tactical decisions (n. africa being an example).

MacArthur should have been relieved of command for his conduct during the first part of the Pacific War. He later did a fantastic job at his island hopping campaign, but the way in which he commanded during the initial invasion of the Philipines is borderline criminal. The Inchon invasion during Korea went well, but his service there was rather lacking as well. I do admire MacArthur for his perception of the threat posed by communist expansion.

jk the sooner fan
10/16/2006, 02:40 PM
chuckle......

sooneron
10/16/2006, 06:23 PM
Homey- didn't have a coke in the courtyard, as it was Sunday and the snack bar was closed down. Our guide (my relative) told us about how the soviets thought the center of the courtyard was a hidden silo- good stuff!

As for the Mac/Ike Bradley stuff, I don't really care as I think they were great servicemen of high character that served our country to the best of their abilities. My cousin thinks VERY highly of Ike and he went to WP. I wonder what classes sic'em had, that he didn't.

Also saw the 9/11 memorial and chapel. VERY moving. The cousin's office is on the same side/ring as where the plane hit. He was on the other side of the pentagon watching the tower ftg when the plane hit. Didn't even know it happened til the alarm went off.

BG's have some nice offices, as an aside.

1stTimeCaller
10/16/2006, 06:39 PM

and really sweet belts. Was he wearing his old school cavalry belt?

Okla-homey
10/16/2006, 07:01 PM
Bradley>Ike>Mac

Bradley was a great great general I'll give you that, but he all too often had an infantry officer's mindset in a rapidly fluid mobile warfare campaign. This was fine when an offensive would bog down, but not so fine when dictating large scale armor movement.

Ike was the greatest staff general the US has ever, and probably will ever have. It'd doubtful there are many other officers who could have kept the glue of the trans-atlantic alliance sticking throughout the war at times when it could very easily have come unglued. That being said, he was lacking in both strategic and especially tactical ability. Although, the latter is forgivable since he rarely involved himself with tactical decisions (n. africa being an example).

MacArthur should have been relieved of command for his conduct during the first part of the Pacific War. He later did a fantastic job at his island hopping campaign, but the way in which he commanded during the initial invasion of the Philipines is borderline criminal. The Inchon invasion during Korea went well, but his service there was rather lacking as well. I do admire MacArthur for his perception of the threat posed by communist expansion.

Its obvious you got that from certain books. just saying.

Okla-homey
10/16/2006, 07:03 PM
Homey- didn't have a coke in the courtyard, as it was Sunday and the snack bar was closed down. Our guide (my relative) told us about how the soviets thought the center of the courtyard was a hidden silo- good stuff!

As for the Mac/Ike Bradley stuff, I don't really care as I think they were great servicemen of high character that served our country to the best of their abilities. My cousin thinks VERY highly of Ike and he went to WP. I wonder what classes sic'em had, that he didn't.

Also saw the 9/11 memorial and chapel. VERY moving. The cousin's office is on the same side/ring as where the plane hit. He was on the other side of the pentagon watching the tower ftg when the plane hit. Didn't even know it happened til the alarm went off.

BG's are a dime a dozen in the Puzzle Palace. You oughtta get a load of some of them DoD SES types' digs. Shazaam.

Penguin
10/16/2006, 07:13 PM
There will be no criticizing of any military person!

EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jk the sooner fan
10/16/2006, 07:59 PM
Its obvious you got that from certain books. just saying.

my thoughts exactly....that or he's a recent graduate of the war college!

and Penguin....dont you have some veterans benefits to bitch about?

Sooner_Bob
10/16/2006, 08:08 PM
DOH!

sooneron
10/16/2006, 08:08 PM
and really sweet belts. Was he wearing his old school cavalry belt?
Nope, civvies on Sunday

sooneron
10/16/2006, 08:09 PM
BG's are a dime a dozen in the Puzzle Palace. You oughtta get a load of some of them DoD SES types' digs. Shazaam.
Actually, he has a two star's office.

Penguin
10/16/2006, 08:23 PM
and Penguin....dont you have some veterans benefits to bitch about?

Woah! I'm on your side! I follow these rules:

Rule #1: Don't criticize any part of the military.

Rule #2: Nobody is allowed to have a different opinion.

Now let's go shoot some hippies.

10/16/2006, 08:37 PM
What a great visit to one of our nation's landmarks.

I plan to do the DC tour in three years. By then, both of our kids (now 9 and 4) might get something out of it. I really want to do this.

SicEmBaylor
10/16/2006, 08:41 PM
My debate coach back in HS was a Vietnam fighter pilot and later went to work as an Air Force contingency planner (whatever the technical name is for that I don't know).

The story he told us about replacing all of the F-4s and crews in Europe with F-15s is an awesome story.

Anyway, one of my bestfriends has had a job offer from the Pentagon as a civillian intelligence analyst of some sort (not sure exactly what). So it'd be awesome if he could get me a pretty good tour of the place. :D