PDA

View Full Version : Paul Thompson on life without AD

Ash
10/15/2006, 09:31 PM
along with other coaches and players. That's the most interesting part of the article, the rest is pretty cut and dried.

Apologies if it's been posted already:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6064906

No. 20 Sooners face life without Peterson

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) - If Adrian Peterson plays for Oklahoma again this season, it'll be in a bowl game.

Whether it's a BCS game or a some pre-New Year's Day bowl in a less-than glamorous location is up to his teammates.
Peterson broke his collarbone at the end of a 53-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter of Saturday's 34-9 win against Iowa State. A bowl game return is considered the best-case scenario, and that leaves 20th-ranked Oklahoma (4-2, 1-1 Big 12) seeking ways to get by without their best player for the second straight season.

"I see it as a great challenge to see where we can go," offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said. "If we're going to get back to being a championship football team, we'll respond to this the right way and we'll continue to mature and grow."

The Sooners used a slew of running backs during a four-game span last year when Peterson was nursing a sprained ankle and still were successful running the ball. Oklahoma went 3-1 in that span, with the only loss coming to Texas, as Kejuan Jones, Jacob Gutierrez, Donta Hickson and Allen Patrick split Peterson's carries. The quartet combined to average 117 yards in Peterson's absence.

"We'll work with what we've got and adapt like we always have," coach Bob Stoops said Sunday. "I feel good about all those guys and the way they have played."

Patrick and Gutierrez are the only two left from those reserves, and they'll most likely split time in Oklahoma's backfield.

Wilson said Patrick, a converted defensive back who has 43 career rushes for 198 yards and two touchdowns, "is our second guy, and we feel very good about him." He said Gutierrez would be the Sooners' No. 2 back, with Mossis Madu leading a pack of freshmen who'd be next in line.

Oklahoma's lack of depth can be traced back to Peterson. Georgia Tech starter Tashard Choice and Courtney Tennial, who has started the last two games for Tulsa, both left the Sooners after Peterson's runner-up finish in the Heisman voting in 2004.

Quarterback Paul Thompson said the team can rally around Patrick and Gutierrez, who are leaders on special teams for the Sooners. They also combined for 222 rushing yards in a win against Baylor last season.

"Real reliable guys," Thompson said. "Gute has been here for a while, knows the system, knows the protections well. One of the stronger guys on the team. He reminds me a lot of Quentin Griffin, with his shiftiness, size and speed. I think we'll be good with those guys in there."

More production will also be needed from Thompson, who only moved back to quarterback after starter Rhett Bomar's dismissal on the eve of fall camp for breaking NCAA rules. But this year, the passing game is much farther along that it was when Peterson went down last season. It was only after Peterson's injury last season that receiver Malcolm Kelly emerged as an option for Oklahoma.

Now he's the Sooners' top receiver, with 23 catches for 460 yards and six touchdowns.

"I know there's going to be a lot more pressure on the receivers now because we're going to be throwing the ball more," Kelly said. "I think everybody knows that. It's not a secret."

The main question is who can spark the Sooners' offense now. Besides being a steady force and grinding out yards, Peterson also was a big play waiting to happen. Oklahoma hadn't had a significant drive on its first six possession in the second half Saturday when Peterson peeled out on his 53-yard run.

"You can always expect that out of Adrian," Thompson said. "Not to say that other guys can't, but Adrian's definitely proven that over time. That's something you can't replace, but the guys that we have coming in are definitely great backs and they're going to help us win some games."

After overcoming the loss of their starting quarterback already this fall, the Sooners certainly aren't ready to just call it a season.

"Everybody thought we were going to just fall off," Kelly said. "We overcame that.

"Everybody's going to say we're probably back down in the dumps again. It's just another hurdle we're going to have to jump over as a team."

westcoast_sooner
10/15/2006, 11:57 PM
A cynic might say "what else is he going to say." But think about it. When the idiot got kicked off the team, we all thought we were doomed. Paul has played so well all season, not perfect, but so much better than anyone expected.

What makes us think that we're doomed without AD? Before a bunch of you flame me for that statement, here are reasons I have to be optimistic about the remainder of the season.

1. Offensive line is coming along nicely.
2. Paul's play and decision making.
3. D is finally coming around.
4. None of our remaining opponents are the caliber of the teams that we've "lost" to.
5. Our coaching staff.
6. The kind of kids we recruit have a lot of talent. AD was a special once-in-a-lifetime player, but we don't offer a kid without talent. Sure there are busts, and kids that don't see the field, but I've got a lot of faith in the ability that our kids have when they get here, and the coaching staff's ability to help the kids grow.

I'll admit I tend to look through Crimson colored glasses when it comes to my beloved Sooners, but I think all this gloom and doom talk is way premature.

I'm going to miss AD a lot. But there's no way we don't come out ready for CU on Saturday and kick some Buffalo up and down the field, IMO.

Ash
10/16/2006, 12:04 AM
I thought it was pretty interesting that KW laid out the depth chart. There have been several threads about whose redshirt is going to get pulled, etc. It's Mossis, he'll be number 3 behind Patrick and Gute.

I also thought it was interesting that PT noted Gute's familiarity with the system especially the protections. Something people tend to gloss over is the fact that RBs have to block as well as run. It will be interesting to see how they utilize Patrick and Gute.

I know none of this comes as a big surprise and some people probably blow it off, but I also thought it would be refreshing change of pace from some of the meltdown threads. Actually reading quotes from the team reported by a real news source as opposed to ranting about some pubescent blogger's ingorant statements, etc.

Frozen Sooner
10/16/2006, 12:17 AM
I guess my question is how often is Madu really getting in the game anyhow?

I mean, I assume that he only gets in in case either Patrick or Gutierrez gets hurt-so why even bring it up?

Ash
10/16/2006, 12:22 AM
I guess my question is how often is Madu really getting in the game anyhow?

I mean, I assume that he only gets in in case either Patrick or Gutierrez gets hurt-so why even bring it up?

Patrick needs to protect the ball better than he has been as well. And Gute seems to be more of a change-of-pace option if anything. You're probably right, but it's something to consider that he might get playing time.

Just trying to start a conversation that isn't about the venom that rival fans and bloggers spew about OU, or who is a real fan, etc.

I'll try to do better next time.

Frozen Sooner
10/16/2006, 12:27 AM
Sorry, Ash, I wasn't trying to run you down. I was commenting on Kevin Wilson saying the 'shirt was coming off Madu. I didn't make that clear and you read what I wrote instead of what I meant.

I don't understand his logic-Madu's probably never getting in the game, so it doesn't matter if KW says his redshirt is on or off-if he doesn't go in, he's still in redshirt.

j_s_ou_1
10/16/2006, 12:33 AM
4. None of our remaining opponents are the caliber of the teams that we've "lost" to.
5. Our coaching staff.
6. The kind of kids we recruit have a lot of talent.
1. Coming along...yes, not quite nicely yet.
2. Keep in mind he had Peterson to keep the defense in the box.
3. Ehhh, they could play a LOT better.
4. I disagree, A&M and OSU are gonna be a lot tougher than some think.
5. Ok.
6. Apparently they aren't being too smart though. Hopefully they can keep themselves on the field.

Ash
10/16/2006, 01:07 AM
Sorry, Ash, I wasn't trying to run you down. I was commenting on Kevin Wilson saying the 'shirt was coming off Madu. I didn't make that clear and you read what I wrote instead of what I meant.

I don't understand his logic-Madu's probably never getting in the game, so it doesn't matter if KW says his redshirt is on or off-if he doesn't go in, he's still in redshirt.

I get ya now. Sorry about that.

He might have been asked who would be next if AP or Gute don't or can't go. I see your point, though. To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Murray isn't higher on the depth chart - or at least being mentioned as an option.

Widescreen
10/16/2006, 08:28 AM
Originally I thought it didnt make sense to pull one of the freshmens redshirt. However, thinking back about the MTSU game when AP got some playing time, he looked completely gassed from the few carries he got. Every time the camera was one him, he was really breathing hard. If Gut is in good condition, we will probably be OK but otherwise, pulling a redshirt may be absolutely necessary.

Pricetag
10/16/2006, 09:42 AM
4. I disagree, A&M and OSU are gonna be a lot tougher than some think.

I don't think anyone is saying we have a bunch of cupcakes left on the schedule, but these guys are not close to Oregon or Texas.

westcoast_sooner
10/16/2006, 10:27 AM
I don't think anyone is saying we have a bunch of cupcakes left on the schedule, but these guys are not close to Oregon or Texas.

That was my point - Thanks PT.

westcoast_sooner
10/16/2006, 10:33 AM
First game is Saturday against a Colorado team that isn't the same group as played in the Big XII championship and got routed last year. They LOST to a Div II team, and they only have one win all season. They played Georgia tough between the hedges, but UGA has been exposed this year.

Our D has to play well, but that isn't new. I think KW will change some things, and there will be new wrinkles that the opposition hasn't seen yet. I'd expect the CU D to drop into coverage or blitz Paul now, and probably dare us to run. If AP can hold onto the ball and get a couple of creases here and there, and give to Gute, also, we'll be OK.

soonerloyal
10/16/2006, 10:44 AM
I want to see a hella lot more passes going to Malcolm Kelly. He's way underutilized. I wouldn't ask for this to be the way that's corrected, but he definitely deserves more opportunitities to score.

stoopified
10/16/2006, 11:02 AM
A cynic might say "what else is he going to say." But think about it. When the idiot got kicked off the team, we all thought we were doomed. Paul has played so well all season, not perfect, but so much better than anyone expected.

What makes us think that we're doomed without AD? Before a bunch of you flame me for that statement, here are reasons I have to be optimistic about the remainder of the season.

5. Our coaching staff.
6. The kind of kids we recruit have a lot of talent. AD was a special once-in-a-lifetime player, but we don't offer a kid without talent. Sure there are busts, and kids that don't see the field, but I've got a lot of faith in the ability that our kids have when they get here, and the coaching staff's ability to help the kids grow.

I'll admit I tend to look through Crimson colored glasses when it comes to my beloved Sooners, but I think all this gloom and doom talk is way premature.

I'm going to miss AD a lot. But there's no way we don't come out ready for CU on Saturday and kick some Buffalo up and down the field, IMO.
I agree and said pretty much the same thing in a couple of threads this weekend.

mxATVracer10
10/16/2006, 04:04 PM
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Murray isn't higher on the depth chart - or at least being mentioned as an option.

They (i.e. James Hale on the "sooner practice report") say that Murray is still nursing a mean case of the turf toe and will not have his redshirt pulled due to him not being able to go 100%

Ash
10/16/2006, 04:11 PM
They (i.e. James Hale on the "sooner practice report") say that Murray is still nursing a mean case of the turf toe and will not have his redshirt pulled due to him not being able to go 100%

Thanks for that tidbit! Turf toe is a biznatch. Too bad.