PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna miss Adrian.

Harry Beanbag
10/15/2006, 07:50 PM
I'm not even thinking about what he means to the team for the rest of the season, I'm just talking about as a representative of the university and as a man. He was the biggest recruit to set foot in Norman since Marcus Dupree, and while they had similar on the field ability and raw talent, they couldn't have been more different.

I've had man-love for Adrian since his first carry against Bowling Green just two short years ago. He has been a man among boys on the field since his arrival on campus, yet it was always a struggle for him due to problems out of his control. 2004 was a dream season for him and for the program up until the game of which we do not speak. If Stoops would have started him from day one, like he probably should have, he would have had well over 2000 yards and maybe have been the first freshman Heisman winner. But that's the way Stoops rolls, he makes you earn everything you get in this program (yes, I'm still holding Bob on that pedestal), which I think is one of the major reasons Peterson decided to come to Norman in the first place.

It's a shame that he had to spend two of his three years here with such subpar offensive lines, very young receivers, and average QB play. What could he have accomplished the last two seasons without being the only weapon that opposing defenses feared and gameplanned against? Not to mention last season's nagging ankle injury and the broken bone halfway through this year. With all things being equal and Peterson healthy, we could have witnessed back to back Barry Sanders type seasons out of him before he moved on. Just seems like a waste. I just hope he doesn't feel that way.

This brings me to why I'm really going to miss him. He is the toughest, bruisingest (if that's a word), most stubborn running back I've ever watched play college football. His speed, power, and attitude on the field was truly something to behold, it's too bad that the rest of the team never was able to take his queue. He played every play like it could be the difference in the game, like it was a defining moment in his life, and they were. At least once a game, every game, he left me shaking my head in amazement at his ability and desire. It might have only been a 3 yard gain, but he made those short runs legendary.

And for all his toughness and barbarism on the gridiron, it was his youth and childish smile that endeared him to me. He has a grin that must light up any room he walks into. I'm not ashamed to say that the College Gameday feature on him and his dad yesterday morning brought a couple of tears to my eye. I'm not a talented enough writer to adequately explain the way I feel about him and his choice to become a Sooner, but I have finally found a someone to supplant Jamelle as my favorite Sooner of all time.

Thank you Adrian.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/college/img7784943.jpg

All_Day_28
10/15/2006, 08:01 PM
Perfectly said..:(

StoopTroup
10/15/2006, 08:10 PM
He's still a Sooner...

Always will be a Sooner...

There should be a DVD of all his great runs.

JohnnyMack
10/15/2006, 08:18 PM
it's too bad that the rest of the team never was able to take his queue. He played every play like it could be the difference in the game, like it was a defining moment in his life, and they were. At least once a game, every game, he left me shaking my head in amazement at his ability and desire.

Yup. The rest of the team spent the last 2.5 years watching him run the ball and hoping he'd bail them out. Here's hoping they show some sack or we'll be in the Ft. Worth Bowl.

Soonerus
10/15/2006, 08:54 PM
His type do not come along very often....

proudsoonergal
10/15/2006, 09:03 PM
I agree with Harry. Well said.

Yup. The rest of the team spent the last 2.5 years watching him run the ball and hoping he'd bail them out. Here's hoping they show some sack or we'll be in the Ft. Worth Bowl.

This makes me think about what people have said about Missouri this year. I've heard several times that while Brad Smith was the QB, the Mizzou team would just watch him play and hope that he could bail them out. Now that Smith is gone, and has a newbie QB, the team has played more like ... a team, and not waited around for Smith to bail them out. Any thoughts on whether this has been happening at OU, and whether the team will play more like a team now?

boomrsoonr
10/15/2006, 09:08 PM
I'm thinking we'll be seeing more of him in the future. And I'm not talking about on Sunday or Monday nights.

This injury is gonna hurt his chances to go early in the draft and get the truly big bucks. If he's smart, and he is when he's not diving into the end zone, I think he'll play for us next year. It'll give him another shot at the Heisman (which is now gone) and another year to get back onto the radar for the NFL scouts. There's a lot of football left this year, and he'll all but disappear from their score cards.

Here's to hoping for a Senior season out of AD.

josh09
10/15/2006, 09:19 PM
that was INCREDIBLE.

very touching. im really gonna miss him too, he was great.

TheGodfather889
10/15/2006, 09:28 PM
I couldn't have said that any better myself. For the rest of my life I could see myself looking at our future runningbacks and calling them "mediocre" when I compare them to Adrian. I don't know if OU or anyone will get a back as good as Adrian. He has rare talent, just a freakish athlete and man child. I could hope that he would return for his senior year because he's hungry. But this injury won't hurt his draft status. He would and will have amazing numbers in the combine. Even though we didn't really accomplish anything while Adrian was here, besides the Big XII Title. I'm very happy he's a Sooner. I'm so happy he came here and gave me and everyone else those breathtaking plays. Adrian will go on my list as my 2nd favorite Sooner of all time. Only ex Sooners are allowed on my list and no one's passing Jason at the top.

SactoSooner
10/15/2006, 09:38 PM
Well said, Harry. And I'm so so so grateful to have had probably the one and only opportunity I'll ever have to see Adrian represent OU and meet you and your beautiful wife all on the same day.

AlbqSooner
10/15/2006, 10:36 PM
we could have witnessed back to back Barry Sanders type seasons out of him before he moved on.
Great post Harry and I agree. However, Barry Sanders had one - count 'em one - season as a starter at pokie state. He was a back up to Thurman for two years and then got the starting nod his junior - and final - year. Adrian did it his freshman year and we had another 2 partial seasons to marvel at all that he brought.

Biggest thing about Adrian to me is that with all his talent and all his accomplishments, we just didn't hear any of the self-aggrandizement that has become so commonplace among athletes.

God Bless him in whatever his decisions in life are.

Crimson Kid
10/15/2006, 11:14 PM
I'll allways look back fondly on these last few seasons with AD, im gald we had the honor of having this fine young gentlemen play for OU.

jbstrick
10/15/2006, 11:23 PM
This sucks.

I feel like my wife just left me and stole the plasma TV.

olevetonahill
10/15/2006, 11:31 PM
Its prolly my faualt I was at the atm game when he got hrut
i was there yesterday when he got hurt
damn me :mad:

ashley
10/16/2006, 07:29 AM
Anyone who thinks this will hurt his draft status doesn't know what they have been looking at.

TexasLidig8r
10/16/2006, 08:34 AM
He's a warrior.

I remember when he was recruited... he didn't do the crap that many high school kids do today.. "Well, I like Texas today.. Oklahoma tomorrow..." He made his decision and although certainly didn't like his statement of "I'm coming to Oklahoma to play for a championship.." at the time it was said, their was some legitimacy to it.

He seemed to be gracious in victory and did not make excuses after defeats.

As a strong supporter and alum of your biggest rival, I will certainly be glad to see him move on to the next level after this year. Nonetheless, he is a good representative of your school.

Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

olevetonahill
10/16/2006, 09:04 AM
He's a warrior.

I remember when he was recruited... he didn't do the crap that many high school kids do today.. "Well, I like Texas today.. Oklahoma tomorrow..." He made his decision and although certainly didn't like his statement of "I'm coming to Oklahoma to play for a championship.." at the time it was said, their was some legitimacy to it.

He seemed to be gracious in victory and did not make excuses after defeats.

As a strong supporter and alum of your biggest rival, I will certainly be glad to see him move on to the next level after this year. Nonetheless, he is a good representative of your school.

Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

left handed are you ?

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
10/16/2006, 09:08 AM
He'll be back next year.

astro5169
10/16/2006, 09:18 AM
I was there when he got the ball the first time and the last as a Sooner. It was electric. Hair is standing up on my neck still and I am bald.

Octavian
10/16/2006, 09:21 AM
One of the best running backs in college football history.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/669/peterson3dr7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Thanks for the memories.

Pricetag
10/16/2006, 10:52 AM
I started missing him the day he jogged out on the field against Bowling Green. I just knew that it was going to go quickly, and that we'd need to thoroughly enjoy every second of it. I hate it that he didn't get a chance to play a full three seasons.

SouthFortySooner
10/16/2006, 04:00 PM
What I noticed first was I didn't even need to see his name on the back of his jersey to know he was in the game. Bowling Green on. He just had presence. Boomer