PDA

View Full Version : Beginning of the official fallout (re: Miami)

Scott D
10/15/2006, 10:51 AM
CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -Miami coach Larry Coker said Sunday that at least eight Hurricane players will be suspended for their role in a sideline-clearing brawl against Florida International.

The fight came in Miami's 35-0 win Saturday night against Florida International, which plays across town. It was the teams' first ever meeting.

Coker said the five players ejected in the third-quarter fight - offensive linemen Derrick Morse and Chris Barney, running back Charlie Jones, and cornerbacks Carlos Armour and Bruce Johnson - would be suspended.

Coker also suspended safeties Anthony Reddick and Brandon Meriweather and fullback James Bryant. The lengths of the suspensions had not been determined.

"I don't have many bad days," Coker said. "This is a bad day."

The fight marred what was supposed to be the beginning of a friendly rivalry between two schools with players who grew up battling each other on high school fields in South Florida.

But even after reviewing tape, it's impossible to say when tensions began escalating.

There were many instances of heated words being exchanged from the game's opening minutes, especially after FIU's Chandler Williams - one of the eight Golden Panthers who'd later be ejected - dived helmet-first at prone Miami defender Kenny Phillips following a first-quarter interception.

But later, unsportsmanlike turned into unruly - or worse.

Following a Miami extra point that put the Hurricanes up 14-0, pushing and shoving broke out among linemen. Moments later, FIU's Chris Smith wrestled Miami holder Matt Perrelli to the ground, and punched him in the chin.

With that, the fracas was on.

FIU's Marshall McDuffie Jr. charged in and kicked Perrelli in the helmet. Miami lineman Derrick Morse jumped onto the Smith-Perrelli pile, FIU's Lionel Singleton followed suit and threw a punch toward the head of the Hurricanes' Calais Campbell - and benches began to empty.

Several players appeared to throw punches, including Miami's Bryant, DajLeon Farr and Ryan Hill, and Meriweather was seen attempting to stomp on FIU players.

Reddick charged across the field, helmet raised high over his head, and slammed it into FIU cornerback Robert Mitchell.

Florida International's ejected players were Williams, Singleton, Smith, McDuffie Jr., fullback John Ellis, linebacker Mannie Wellington, tight end Samuel Smith and defensive end Jarvis Penerton.

So it begins.

Flagstaffsooner
10/15/2006, 10:55 AM
"I don't have many bad days," Coker said. "

Funny stuff.

Scott D
10/15/2006, 11:03 AM
amusingly if it wasn't for the brawl, it might have gotten all of 10 seconds of coverage from ESPN since the game was on a local broadcast.

mrowl
10/15/2006, 11:15 AM
still looking for the article about the TV color guy getting fired.

StoopTroup
10/15/2006, 11:19 AM
I'm just glad there were cameras at the game.

BillyBall
10/15/2006, 11:21 AM
I'm just glad there were cameras at the game.

And that they didn't get stolen....

ClintonSooner
10/15/2006, 11:50 AM
all I can say is haha

SoonerLB
10/15/2006, 12:08 PM
This is gonna be a big blow to the Southern Florida Coke Dealers Association. ;)

IronSooner
10/15/2006, 12:21 PM
Thug life baby, alive and well in South Florida

Cam
10/15/2006, 09:51 PM
still looking for the article about the TV color guy getting fired.
What did he do/say that got him fired?

SCOUT
10/15/2006, 10:00 PM
They were just being F'n Soldiers and representing their U!

I am sure Kellen is proud.

Rhino
10/15/2006, 10:31 PM
31 players have been suspended now. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/10/15/miami.suspensions.ap/index.html?cnn=yes)

TrophyCollector
10/15/2006, 10:41 PM
suspended??? the dude that swung his helmet at people needs to be kicked off the team and in jail.

CrimsonandCreamForever
10/15/2006, 11:02 PM
F 'em...... f 'em all.

OklahomaTuba
10/15/2006, 11:08 PM
Seeing the co-cains go down in flames is about the only fun thing to watch this season.

Well, that and waiting for John L Smith to have another mental breakdown.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/15/2006, 11:19 PM
2 of the miami guys that were suspended are kids they got from texas.

sooneron
10/15/2006, 11:25 PM
That chicken **** coCaine cleat stomper needs to be thrown off the team. Good jorb cleaning up scUM's image larry.

CatfishSooner
10/15/2006, 11:34 PM
Can anyone imagine OU ever doing some **** like that?? AND then celebrating afterwards... Stoops would go ballistic!

AzianSooner
10/15/2006, 11:40 PM
and when i think about it, i recognizing that we are down too.

Echoes
10/15/2006, 11:43 PM
And that they didn't get stolen....

ahahahahhahahahahha good one man

tommieharris91
10/15/2006, 11:44 PM
Did stuff like that brawl ever happen while Switzer was around? I'm too young to remember.

sooneron
10/15/2006, 11:48 PM
no