PDA

View Full Version : Tramel dogpiles on!

stoopified
10/15/2006, 08:51 AM
AS if AD's injury is not enough of a blow to THE SOONER FAMILY(sorry can't use Smellybergers' Sooner Nation,I despise anything that reminds me of him)Tramel has to add salt to the wound.

Tramel says IF we rally around Thompson and Venables we COULD still finsh 8-4 or 9-3.While I have a huge man-crush on AD I just don't see this as a one man team.IF and I admit it is abig if,we can get an adequate ground attack going we can win all our remaining games.Granted AP,Gute and our freshmen are unproven BUT there is a reason they were recruited by OU.Gute and Patrick are the guys who stayed while Tennial and Choice left for greener pastures of more playing time.The move seems to have worked for them as they are major factors in their teams sucess.I am willing to bet that Patrick and Gute and IMHO possibly Brown can have sucess in OUr final 7 games.

One reason I say that we can win all OUr remaining games is That Our remaining TBs are talented.A second reason is that OUr D is playing better and better as the season goes along.The third reason is that we will be an unknown aspect on offense for OUr upcoming foes without AD and Bob and his guys WILL use that to full advantage.The final reason that I expect use to have agood cahance to win out is simple,NOBODY on the remaining schedule is better than average.

I could be wrong and often am but like Bob and OUr Sooners I refuse to assume we will lose just because we lost one player(albeit a VER Y talented player).

SoonerRoads
10/15/2006, 09:07 AM
I have to agree and for one reason. Think back to last year when AD went down. I could be mistaken, but I thought that the team actually pulled together more and became more of a team unit because they felt they had to. I think we became a better all round offensive unit last year when AD was out and it only helped us when he was able to get back in the line-up.

I think that sometimes, when teams have a dominatiing player like AD, they begin to lean on him more expecting him to pull phenomenal plays out on a regular basis. If you have a back that breaks arm tackles and hits the hole a little quicker than another back, you get accustomed to the fact that you don't have to hold your blocks as long. With AD out, I think everyone will exert more effort in their individual positions. I know that may sound crazy, but I swear I thought that they all gave more effort as a "team" after he went down last year. I hope that we will see the same this year.

Here we go again..............Boomer Sooner

Flagstaffsooner
10/15/2006, 09:09 AM
Reading Trammel is like getting your prostate checked.

LiteCOL
10/15/2006, 09:14 AM
I am truly concerned about Tramel’s mental health. I had to quit listening to him on the radio because he often just goes off the deep end. Even Rhode has quit defending him.

He has taken Stoops’ attitude toward the media this year personally, and seems to have an axe to grind or a point to prove. I wish he would move on...

The only thing I agree with him on is Gutierrez. I would like to see him start over Patrick (if no other reason than I keep wanting to call him Patrick Collins rather than Allen Patrick! :D)

stoopified
10/15/2006, 09:29 AM
Reading Trammel is like getting your prostate checked.Yeah but one is torture but necessary,the other just plain torture.Reading Tramel for me is a lot like what they say about shock jock Howard Stern:I keep listening to hear what outrageous thing he will say next.With Tramel I keep reading to see how much more BS he can come up with.

jdsooner
10/15/2006, 09:35 AM
Last night I heard him interviewed on national television. They asked him what this meant to OU and he said, "Iceberg. The Titanic has hit an iceberg."

This summer as I was driving home from vacation on the day that it was announced that Bomar was leaving, I heard Tramel interviewed on sports radio. He was asked what this meant to Sooner football. "Iceberg. The Titanic has hit an iceberg." He used the same analogy twice! I didn't know that the Titanic hit two icebergs.

As I watched him last night, I could tell that he didn't care about AD or OU. He was just excited to be interviewed on national tv.

Soonerus
10/15/2006, 09:37 AM
greek derivation of the word trammel = *******

StoopTroup
10/15/2006, 09:37 AM
AD would have had an easy 200 yards per game this year with a better O-Line.

I'm hesitant to say that our running game is OK without AD.

Last year Patrick and Guts had some shining moments in some series...but they are no AD.

I've been concerned since season's start that this ALL DAY, Different Gear, etc...might bring us an injury to AD.

I never thought it would be an injury like a collarbone...freak accident IMO.

Patrick and whoever else Stoops and Venables decide to use as a replacement for AD will have to seriously step it up.

The pressure also comes on the receiving unit too.

They better quit dropping balls.

sooner518
10/15/2006, 09:38 AM
Thompson is a better QB than Bomar was last year. Our WR's are a hell of alot better than they were last year. Screw Tramel. we'll be fine.

fadada1
10/15/2006, 09:39 AM
Reading Trammel is like getting your prostate checked.
with the titanic.

Soonerus
10/15/2006, 09:39 AM
I think Q, I mean Gute, may be a big factor....

stoops the eternal pimp
10/15/2006, 09:49 AM
I see Gute running sprint draws in the future...we will definitely be in the shotgun a whole lot

Ash
10/15/2006, 09:59 AM
Trammel is a dog's pile.

stoopified
10/15/2006, 11:58 AM
I have to say I agre.. with ALL the above.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/15/2006, 12:18 PM
take off your blinders. 9-3 is only one loss away with 2/3 of our remaining schedule on the road.

Sooner98
10/15/2006, 12:23 PM
take off your blinders. 9-3 is only one loss away with 2/3 of our remaining schedule on the road.

Yep. We were probably a 9-3 team with AD. Without, who knows?

(waits for the obligatory negspek)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/15/2006, 12:26 PM
Yep. We were probably a 9-3 team with AD. Without, who knows?

(waits for the obligatory negspek)

i thought we were an 8-4 team with him and bomar.

Sooner98
10/15/2006, 12:44 PM
I was talking about this year - how we were probably going to end up 9-3 with AD.

TXBOOMER
10/15/2006, 12:55 PM
We have Colorado, Mizzou, aTm, tech, Baylor and OSU left on the schedule. I don't see anyway in the world we don't lose at least one or more of these games to these shatty teams without AD. I hope I'm wrong but 4 of these games are going to be on the road and I don't think this grOUp minus AD will have a lot of success on the road. Let's all face it when Jason White graduated we began a rebuilding era that will continue until we get a QB in here that is gonna start two three years for us. Boomer Sooner!

Scott D
10/15/2006, 01:04 PM
I was talking about this year - how we were probably going to end up 9-3 with AD.

so was he.

Desert Sapper
10/15/2006, 01:29 PM
Colorado is starting to turn its season around -- Pimp-slapping Tech 30-6 is big

Mizzou lost a close one at aTm, but their QB is good, and they played us tight a few years ago on Faurot Field when we were in much better shape than we are now.

aTm sucks, but they always play well against us in the giant concrete dog kennel. They beat Mizzou yesterday. That could be big for their confidence, especially if we drop the game at Mizzou.

Tech sucks and we get them at home. That should be good for us, but if they ever figure out how to play this year, it will be against us.

Baylor sucks, but they hung 31 points on a Texas team that shut us out in the second half of the RRS. Granted, they gave up 63, but it also took a miracle for us to beat these guys last year.

OSU...well, they suck, too. That also probably means they will give us fits in the booger pickin. We haven't shown up well against the pokes on their home field, not even when we were stomping a mudhole in everybody else.

So...we COULD lose the rest of our games. We COULD also, without much of a stretch in imagination, win the rest of our games. I'm not convinced that either will happen. Mexi-Q and AP will make for a good 1-2 punch in the upcoming games. Hopefully ENA can hit guys when they are less open due to 1-2 more defenders lined up deeper in coverage.

I'm hoping for 9-3 and a decent bowl (like the Cotton or Holiday).

I'll still be disappointed with any further losses, but I'm a Sooner fan. We're supposed to just win, baby.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/15/2006, 02:36 PM
Last year Patrick and Guts had some shining moments in some series...but they are no AD.

Hello, understatement of the century. I'm hope and reason. Nice t' meetcha.

But the point is, Gute can get it done. He got it done last year when he was called. If he can degrease the handle on the pigskin a lil', Gute can be a very serviceable replacement. The fact that I have a man-crush on him only helps to rose color my glasses a lil' bit more, but this guy is a long, cool drink of effervescent heart and desire in a flashy can of whoop-***. And I like that. A bunch.

So yeah, he ain't no AD. And the front five are gonna have to get on their saddle and bone up. But can we still get it done?

Damn straight we can.

Heads up, ENA. The corners and safeties are gonna be comin' on a regular basis.

Scott D
10/15/2006, 06:08 PM
anyone who thinks we need to use a one back system is insane...that's not what this offense is designed to do.

NWOSURanger
10/15/2006, 06:41 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if they are even thinking about giving Clapp the ball, now?

TheUnnamedSooner
10/15/2006, 06:55 PM
Berry Tramel is an idiot.

JohnnyMack
10/15/2006, 06:59 PM
anyone who thinks we need to use a one back system is insane...that's not what this offense is designed to do.

I know you keep harping on that point, but how effective was AD out of the I this year?

Scott D
10/15/2006, 07:03 PM
I know you keep harping on that point, but how effective was AD out of the I this year?

I'm more referring to a 'Post AD' backfield. the I formation is his specialty, that and probably the split back pro formation. However, Gute isn't an I formation back, nor is he a workhorse back that should really have more than 15-18 carries. Patrick should probably go back to safety since we went through this whole point of recruiting a bunch of tailbacks specifically for next season because we expected Adrian to be gone.

That being said, Patrick will probably get about 20-22 touches (fewer if he redevelops Hicksonitis, and Gute the rest).

rossg
10/15/2006, 07:21 PM
The biggest game that I am worried about is the game at Kyle Field. I just don't understand why aTm always plays up for us. They get thrashed by Texas, the sand aggies, and someone else every year, but they sure seem to have OUr number.

I Bury Paul
10/15/2006, 07:40 PM
I've got mixed emotions about AD's injury. In no way would I ever wish it on anyone, especially one of the top running backs in recent college history.

I want OU to do well after losing to Texas because of the shot in the arm to scheduling strength and to raise the intensity level of the rivalry. But there's the recruiting factor that makes me want to see the opposite.

But even without AD I think OU will be alright. I remember back a few years ago when the 'Horns knocked out your quarterback and thinking "we got them now." Huepel came in (or was is Jason White) and never missed a beat and was pretty much the man until he graduated.

It's unfortunate but it's an opportunity for some other high valued recruit to shine.

And aTm is starting to get all high and mighty again. They need to be knocked down to where they normally reside.

JohnnyMack
10/15/2006, 08:10 PM
I'm more referring to a 'Post AD' backfield. the I formation is his specialty, that and probably the split back pro formation. However, Gute isn't an I formation back, nor is he a workhorse back that should really have more than 15-18 carries. Patrick should probably go back to safety since we went through this whole point of recruiting a bunch of tailbacks specifically for next season because we expected Adrian to be gone.

That being said, Patrick will probably get about 20-22 touches (fewer if he redevelops Hicksonitis, and Gute the rest).

Oh. Well yeah, we'd have to be semi-retarded to stick with the I at this point.

mikeelikee
10/15/2006, 08:38 PM
Could we please run the shovel pass with Gute, just once?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/15/2006, 10:13 PM
Oh. Well yeah, we'd have to be semi-retarded to stick with the I at this point.

that almost sounds like a dare...

stoopified
10/16/2006, 11:08 AM
take off your blinders. 9-3 is only one loss away with 2/3 of our remaining schedule on the road.Like Bob I REFUSE TO CONCEDE ANY GAMES.

JohnnyMack
10/16/2006, 11:23 AM
that almost sounds like a dare...

Heh. KW will have us in the wishbone by halftime Saturday night.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/16/2006, 11:32 AM
we are missing some key pieces for just about any of our offenses. our move to the pro style has made us score like a typical pro team. unfortunately, college teams score a tad bit more...

rhombic21
10/16/2006, 11:57 AM
I think that without AD, we will open up the offense a lot more, and in many ways I think that will make us more effective. I have no idea why Kevin Wilson and Chuck Long decided that just because AD was in the lineup, we had to be a power team. Look at last year when he got hurt and in the Holiday bowl. We played a ton better because we opened the offense up, used more misdirection and passing, and stopped trying to run AD into 8 and 9 man fronts.

I have seen several times this year when they've had Malcom Kelly and/or Juaqin Iglesias in single coverage, and rather than trying to make the defense pay with a big play, we hand it off to AD and hope that he can make something happen. MTSU was a perfect example of this. We could have thrown for 400 yards if we wanted to, but it was obvious that the coaches were determined to get AD his yards. I wish our coaches would stop worrying about the damn Heisman trophy, and just try to beat the snot out of everybody. They did the same thing with Jason White (only in the other direction), where we started passing it every down late in the season. The Heisman is over-rated anyways.

We are a finesse offense. Look at what Paul is doing on third down and medium and in the two minute drill. He takes the team right down the field and we score almost every time. He's converting a really good amount of third and longs. The reason that I bring those two situations up is that you can't say "well the defense is worried about AD, so that isn't a good measure of our passing game", because those are obvious passing situations.

I have no idea why we suddenly decided to become an I formation team. Our shotgun passing game is ten times more effective, and our running game out of the gun seemed to work pretty well last year. I remember Gute putting up 170 yards against Baylor. I happen to think that AD would have put up HUGE numbers of we'd run the offense that we did when he got hurt. Yeah, he's not quite as effective out of the 'gun, but teams also can't line as many people in the box to stop us, so he gets more running lanes. Look at what West Virginia does running the ball out of the shotgun. Look at Texas.

Look, I'm not saying that the guys behind AD are going to be better. Far from it. But I think that it might make the offense better as a whole, because we have a lot of talent, particularly at WR and TE, that we don't use nearly enough. Spreading the ball around more, and not worrying about any one guy's statistics, will take better advantage of our talent, and keep the defense off balance. And Allen Patrick and Gute are more than capable backups. Hell, they were going to be starters in a few months anyways, so they obviously have some talent. They're better than KeJuan Jones and Renaldo Works were, and we played for a NC with KeJuan and Works at HB.

soonerloyal
10/16/2006, 12:10 PM
Oh, hell, I've been listening to BT bitch and moan about Sooner football for years, and I don't even begin to care about his opinion on sports in general. He used to complain at PTA meetings how he hated the sport of soccer - until his daughter H. started playing, and then his tune changed. He's a great dad, a wonderful guy in person...but his take on OU football is full of ****.