PDA

View Full Version : Why not Demarco Murray?

SoonerStormchaser
10/14/2006, 08:39 PM
With all the mentioning of Patrick, Gute, Madu and Brown as to who replaces AD for the rest of the season, why not pull the redshirt off Demarco Murray?

After all, didn't we recruit him to BE Peterson's replacement?

Scott D
10/14/2006, 08:41 PM
you forgot to suggest we move Patrick back to safety since he likes to hit people, and move DJ Wolfe back to halfback.

GottaHavePride
10/14/2006, 08:46 PM
Well, Patrick and Gute will be in the mix no matter what; I've only heard the coaches mention pulling Madu's redshirt, not Brown's. As for Madu, I can think of two possible reason's the coaches would look at him first.

1. Possibly, despite Murray or Brown having greater potential, Madu is more game ready at this particular moment.

2. Possibly, despite the hype surrounding Murray, Madu has shown himself to be just flat better.

The only other reasoning I could think of is wanting to keep the extra year of eligibility for Murray, but Stoops has never been reluctant to put a true freshman on the field if they're the best player we have at that position.

Wait, I thought of another:

3. Madu may be a different type of runner than Murray or Brown, and a type that would complement Patrick and Gute. There's no sense pulling a shirt off Brown or Murray if they're the same style of runner as Patrick or Gute.

tomtom
10/14/2006, 09:11 PM
maybe ou should recuit a migit like arkansaw's or better yet a leperchaun who can hide behind a linemans leg. g o sooners

boomersooner28
10/14/2006, 09:13 PM
maybe ou should recuit a migit like arkansaw's or better yet a leperchaun who can hide behind a linemans leg. g o sooners

:confused:

:pop:

Big Red Ron
10/14/2006, 09:14 PM
USC recruited Murray as a db. We could use one.

Just sayin...

DrZaius
10/14/2006, 09:27 PM
Though I am excited to see Murray play....His high school videos were explosive.
I think Gute or Patrick will do fine. I expect our rushing numbers to be affected for sure but enough in the end.

Maybe now we will see the TE play I have been waitng for all season.

bixby28
10/15/2006, 06:24 PM
I heard on the Sports Animal that Murray still has a turf-toe injury that is healing up. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the freshman at this point, but i'd leave them on the bench with Gut' and Patrick still here.

OUAndy1807
10/15/2006, 07:23 PM
if we pull someone out of redshirt, I think we're crazy.

How would you like to have Marcus Walker as a sophomore right now, not a junior?

ADs_Agent
10/15/2006, 07:58 PM
with Peterson out, is it time to let DeMarco Murray lift his redshirt and play, or do we see if Allen Patrick or Gute can get it done? Problem is, Malcolm Kelly and the other stud receivers won't see so much 1 on 1 coverage anymore without the respect for AD.

SoonerinSouthlake
10/15/2006, 08:01 PM

How would you like to have Marcus Walker as a sophomore right now, not a junior?

would love it...but we would probably have lost to Texas A and M two years ago at Kyle Field and not been in the Orange Bowl. Of course at this point not having been at that Orange bowl doesnt sound so bad

MichelleDawn
10/15/2006, 08:17 PM
While AD is one of the greatest backs to wear an OU jersey, he isn't the only back to come out of Norman. We've had a tremendous amount of success with our backs...it's part of our tradition. We'll be fine at running back.

OklahomaTuba
10/15/2006, 08:24 PM
I'd love to see Patrick at safety. He is one of the hardest hitters I have ever seen.

the_ouskull
10/15/2006, 08:29 PM

When you need a stupid-*ssed post, you don't ask SkullSkull, you ask TomTom.

the_ouskull

Widescreen
10/15/2006, 08:38 PM
IMO we don't need Murray or the other redshirts. Patrick and Mexi-Q can handle the RB-by-committee. As for the receivers, well, they're going to have to nut up and be big boys. This is D-1 football and they've had the benefits that come with the attention AD got. And they've been very good. Now we'll get to see just how good they can be.

OUAndy1807
10/15/2006, 08:38 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80582

sooner94
10/15/2006, 09:23 PM
I saw a girl lift her red shirt in New Orleans once. A bunch of people gave her some beads for doing it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/15/2006, 10:46 PM
would love it...but we would probably have lost to Texas A and M two years ago at Kyle Field and not been in the Orange Bowl. Of course at this point not having been at that Orange bowl doesnt sound so badlol

SouthFortySooner
10/16/2006, 02:11 PM
Even without the link to Murray's turf toe, I had thought he missed to much early to be ready now.?

mxATVracer10
10/16/2006, 04:25 PM
I saw a girl lift her red shirt in New Orleans once. A bunch of people gave her some beads for doing it.

got pics? :pop:

southern sooner
10/16/2006, 05:03 PM
i cant wait to see him play...

Pepper
10/16/2006, 06:51 PM
Can any of the running backs we have break a 30+ yard run every game? Not being sarcastic or saying yes or no. Just curious what you guys think their talent level is.

Rufnek76
10/16/2006, 08:32 PM
We definitely need help from anyone who can tackle on defense....Patrick and Guetterrez might be great kids but we need some explosiveness...bring on Madu or Murray....please!!!

HELP!!!!! I'm livin' amongst the Texans~~~:mad: :mad: :mad:

sooneron
10/16/2006, 09:32 PM
For the last time...

MURRAY IS STILL SUFFERING FROM TURF TOE!!! as per, Stoops.

AlabamaSooner
10/16/2006, 09:34 PM
DO NOT PULL THE REDSHIRT OFF.

Crimsontothecore
10/16/2006, 10:01 PM
Next year we have Patrick, Gute, Murray, Madu and Brown! Can you say LOADED!!?
Those guys will run ALL DAY!

rhombic21
10/16/2006, 10:16 PM
Somebody has to lose the redshirt for special teams. Both Gute and Patrick play on almost every special teams unit. Obviously they can't do that anymore.

Murray is out because of the turf toe, and from what I understand, Madu is further along than Brown, but it's neck and neck between them.

goingoneight
10/16/2006, 10:20 PM
Murray is awesome according to practice reports, when the practices were open to the public, though... no Murray seen. They said he could do it all, they said he would return kicks with Reggie, no Murray. Methinks he's really good (maybe not Heisman good yet) and the coaches decided to hold off on him with the turf toe incident and being that we've needed AD desperately up to this point...

snp
10/16/2006, 10:39 PM
Can any of the running backs we have break a 30+ yard run every game? Not being sarcastic or saying yes or no. Just curious what you guys think their talent level is.

Allen Patrick had a runs last year of 27 and 28 yards so obviously not.

sooneron
10/16/2006, 10:51 PM
ONCE again, as per Stoops, Murray "still hobbling" with turf toe.

emoinwinter
10/16/2006, 10:56 PM
The "turf toe" is something to throw off Colorado's scent. He is going to be on opening kickoff returning with Reggie.

rainiersooner
10/16/2006, 10:57 PM

Obviously that would be great: but we pulled his redshirt because Bassey was getting burned bad at A&M in a game we were losing. If you believe that Walker shoring up the defense helped us win that game, you can't ask that question really without asking if you'd rather we lost. Now, seeing as winning helped us get to the orange bowl where we were promptly humiliated, maybe the answer is yes, it would be better to have lost and have Walker for another year. But hindsight is 20/20.:P

SoonerJLB
10/17/2006, 12:21 PM
USC recruited Murray as a db. We could use one.

Just sayin...

BRR,

SC really reruited DM as a DB because they were already so deep at the RB position (at least at the time). It wasn't because they thought he wouldn't be a good RB.

yermom
10/17/2006, 12:35 PM
BRR,

SC really reruited DM as a DB because they were already so deep at the RB position (at least at the time). It wasn't because they thought he wouldn't be a good RB.

i think he's just saying that he's probably no slouch as a DB

rexnvegas
11/8/2006, 03:18 PM
I used to live in Vegas. My daaughter graduated with Demarco. Is he redshirted? If he has played, how did he do? What kind of college RB does he look like he is going to be?

sooneron
11/8/2006, 03:28 PM
I used to live in Vegas. My daaughter graduated with Demarco. Is he redshirted? If he has played, how did he do? What kind of college RB does he look like he is going to be?
He has not played, we think he will be good. The staff pulled the redshirt off Chris Brown during the Col game. Strange move for only four plays.

Fraggle145
11/8/2006, 03:28 PM
Didnt we pull the redshirt from Brown in the Colorado game? says he had 4 carries for 12 yds.

fwsooner22
11/8/2006, 03:43 PM
hurt not ready..................for 1,457th time

Ruuuuuufus
11/8/2006, 06:52 PM
attitude

TheUnnamedSooner
11/8/2006, 07:05 PM
Can't Brown still redshirt since he only played in 4 plays? I thought there was some kind of limit on playing time where you can still redshirt a player. I could be wrong...

IronSooner
11/8/2006, 09:17 PM
Has to be in the beginning of the year. If you pull a shirt in October, it's pulled. I think the rule says you can regain your redshirt year if you only play in less than the first 25% of the season. By October when it's gone, it's gone.

Ruuuuuufus
11/8/2006, 10:24 PM
unless Brown just happens to come up with a mysterious injury then there's no way for him to redshirt this year.

sooner94
11/8/2006, 11:16 PM
yeah, we have wasted 1 year of elgibility for Brown. Those were 4 awesome carries in the Col game. But, couldn't Gute have taken those?

washington's fave
11/9/2006, 12:26 AM
Why use him if you're not ready to use him 15 carries a game!! Any thing less would be a criminal offense!!