PDA

View Full Version : Here is Blvins' take on the AD situation

stoopified
10/14/2006, 07:13 PM
for whatever little value I place in it.
1 AD is done at OU,will not even play in bowl game.
2 Patrick is now the starter
3 Madu will come out of redshirt.This point I find interesting because according to Merv Johnson (who watches practices)Chris Brown practices with the varsity while Madu and Murray run scout team.This conversation took place today during pre-game call-in.We were actually discu
ssing next year but I would think the same reasoning would apply to this situation.

My take for what that is worth is that IF he is able AD WILL play in the bowl game. Unlike Dean I think it is possible AD comes back to prove his durability after being hurt the last two years.I can't help but think an injury free year would boost his stock after two injury plagued years.Thats IMHO of course.What do my fellow Sooner Fans think?

GottaHavePride
10/14/2006, 07:15 PM
Big risk of coming back next year and getting injured AGAIN, further lowering his NFL stock. Might as well go now, especially since running backs in general have durability issues even without having injury problems in college.

StoopTroup
10/14/2006, 07:16 PM
I think Dean might be right on this one.

Rhino
10/14/2006, 07:20 PM
He won't be back next year and needs to sit out the bowl game too to make sure he's ready for the combine.

Big Red Ron
10/14/2006, 07:20 PM
I think this seals the deal. Dean is usually a full 180 degrees from reality.

Remember, "Bob Stoops is going to Florida?"

jk the sooner fan
10/14/2006, 07:39 PM
with no MNC, and no Heisman......i'd bet money that if healthy, he'd play in the bowl game to get the 150ish yards to top Billy Sims

BoonesFarmSooner
10/14/2006, 07:48 PM
Did Deano give any odds?

spaceman
10/14/2006, 07:52 PM
Did Deano give any odds?99%...No 90%...No 80%...?

letsroll
10/14/2006, 08:50 PM
Why would he risk injury again in a bowl game just for billy sims record, Is that record worth several million dollars to anyone for the risk?

tulsaoilerfan
10/14/2006, 08:53 PM
Personally, i would rather see AD sit out the bowl game and make sure he is completely healthy for the NFL draft; the young man has given his all to us for 3 seasons, and it would be totally selfish of us, and the coaches, to expect him to play any more this season

Big Red Ron
10/14/2006, 09:02 PM
Personally, i would rather see AD sit out the bowl game and make sure he is completely healthy for the NFL draft; the young man has given his all to us for 3 seasons, and it would be totally selfish of us, and the coaches, to expect him to play any more this seasonSome have character and conviction. Some even have loyalty and value education. I think people will be surprised by AD's decision.

Soonerus
10/14/2006, 09:05 PM
I do not think Madu is ready, could be disasterous...

astro5169
10/14/2006, 11:02 PM
Like we are not selfish...

He should have been pulled from this not close at all game. He didnt need to be in there.

JohnnyMack
10/14/2006, 11:03 PM
I do not think Madu is ready, could be disasterous...

:rolleyes:

SOONER44EVER
10/14/2006, 11:04 PM
Before the game Dean said there was NO WAY AD wouldn't break the OU career rushing record.

Scott D
Here's my take on Dean Blevins.

He should just become a traditional weathergirl on the evening news. Smile, look pretty, and read monosyllabic words off of a teleprompter. Nothing that requires thinking.

colleyvillesooner
Madu is the one they said pre game that was getting the snaps to play, not Brown. They re-inforced this after the game. Brown and Murray will still red-shirt.

JohnnyMack
10/14/2006, 11:06 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Someone's been drinking.

SoonerMajic
10/14/2006, 11:06 PM
I am glad the national media has not jumped on the "he should not have been in there" bandwagon, at least yet.

The game was clearly in control, but there was nothing wrong with having him in there for helping with his push to the Heisman, particuliarly since Patrick has not been able to hold on to the ball.

Everybody would have been griping if he came out before that series.

Rhino
10/14/2006, 11:08 PM

He should just become a traditional weathergirl on the evening news. Smile, look pretty, and read monosyllabic words off of a teleprompter. Nothing that requires thinking. You act like he doesn't do that now with News9.

I wonder if 04 ever wrote (not transcribed) the entire copy of a sportscast or a Blitz like my friend did when he interned there.

It's the smart thing to do though. When there's a live mic and Deano is left to his own devices, he does things like call Shelley Smith of ESPN "the fat girl".

colleyvillesooner
10/14/2006, 11:09 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Someone's been drinking.

heh, no just tired. :D

SOONER44EVER
10/14/2006, 11:10 PM
I am glad the national media has not jumped on the "he should not have been in there" bandwagon, at least yet.

The game was clearly in control, but there was nothing wrong with having him in there for helping with his push to the Heisman, particuliarly since Patrick has not been able to hold on to the ball.

Everybody would have been griping if he came out before that series.
Nothing wrong except the fact he could have a season ending injury when abother back dould be in doing the mop up duty.

Scott D
10/14/2006, 11:11 PM
You act like he doesn't do that now with News9.

I wonder if 04 ever wrote (not transcribed) the entire copy of a sportscast or a Blitz like my friend did when he interned there.

It's the smart thing to do though. When there's a live mic and Deano is left to his own devices, he does things like call Shelley Smith of ESPN "the fat girl".

Well he still thinks he does sports, so he's not doing the weather ;)

man00
10/14/2006, 11:22 PM
AD would be crazy to come back next year. OL may or may not be better, no QB, OU would use him up and risk another injury.

GottaHavePride
10/14/2006, 11:31 PM
Nothing wrong except the fact he could have a season ending injury when abother back dould be in doing the mop up duty.

Yeah, but with six minutes left, the backup RB could fumble the ball to ISU two or three times.

SOONER44EVER
10/14/2006, 11:33 PM
Yeah, but with six minutes left, the backup RB could fumble the ball to ISU two or three times.
We'll never know what a backup RB or QB will do at OU.

MiccoMacey
10/14/2006, 11:46 PM
I'm hearing KW said AD wouldn't play in the bowl...no reason to risjk injury for one game.

Taxman71
10/15/2006, 07:54 AM
Claiming AD should have been sitting is a joke. We are only half way through the season and our offense sputtered the entire second half for the second week in a row. We needed the work against a 1st string defense to get things going and find our rythm. And the game, as anyone who watched the Oregon knows, was definitely not out of reach.

ashley
10/15/2006, 08:05 AM
Does anyone recommend pulling off with the score as it was. Of course not.

jrsooner
10/15/2006, 08:13 AM
I am glad the national media has not jumped on the "he should not have been in there" bandwagon, at least yet.Personally, I think he was in there so late out of respect for his dad. All I heard from the announcers were how good of friends stoops is with their coach, and how he probably would try not to run up the score.

Just speculation, but I think Stoops left AD in there for his dad to see another touchdown since it was a big "family" day for AD. I see it more as a nod of "thanks/respect" for AD than "let's beef up the score".

batonrougesooner
10/15/2006, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see AD play in the bowl game if healthy. I would bet he would want to. You can be sure he doesn't want yesterday's play to be his last in a Sooner uniform either.

I doubt the coaches pressure him. I think they will let him play if he is able and willing.

AD doesn't need to prepare for the combine. He doesn't need to work out for the NFL scouts at all. He is one of the very rare players who has nothing left to prove. I don't know what a fourty yard time or vertical leap will prove that hasn't already been proven. He doesn't even need to take the Wonderlick-Young aptitude test.

stoopified
10/15/2006, 08:58 AM
I think this seals the deal. Dean is usually a full 180 degrees from reality.

Remember, "Bob Stoops is going to Florida?"My thinking exactly,althought I am not saying AD IS coming back I ain't convinced that he is gone yet either.As for the bowl game I AM convinced if he is medically cleared he will play.

As for those who would criticize Bob for having AD in the game with 6 minutes to play,I have one question: Where have you been the last three years ?Bob has played his starter late into the game and even for the ENTIRE game often in his coaching career.Injuries can happen on the first play of the game as easily as the last.

Egeo
10/15/2006, 09:31 AM
We'll never know what a backup RB or QB will do at OU.
where were you in 2005?

OUHOMER
10/15/2006, 09:40 AM
Personally, I think he was in there so late out of respect for his dad. All I heard from the announcers were how good of friends stoops is with their coach, and how he probably would try not to run up the score.

Just speculation, but I think Stoops left AD in there for his dad to see another touchdown since it was a big "family" day for AD. I see it more as a nod of "thanks/respect" for AD than "let's beef up the score".

I think you hit the nail on the head

The VIIIth
10/15/2006, 09:50 AM

He should just become a traditional weathergirl on the evening news. Smile, look pretty, and read monosyllabic words off of a teleprompter. Nothing that requires thinking.

Yeah but there's one other take on Dean. He picked up the rock in a very hostile stadium when the starting QB and best RB were gone due to injury earlier in the game, put it where it needed to go, made key plays and set up the winning FG with time running out in the 4th.

Ohio State 1977.

Because of that, Dean gets all the slack he ever needs from me.

SoonerRoads
10/15/2006, 09:51 AM
Just a thought here and you all tell me what you think. Personally, I hope someone sits AD down and talks to him about NOT coming out for NFL Draft this coming year. He is a tremendous RB without question. But a RB that has been injured and missed games the last three years. He could easily be classified as "injury prone" by NFL scouts and though he has great upside potential, with the NFL being a business, they may be a little tentative about investing millions in signing bonuses to someone who has a tendency to be injured. If they view it that way, it may be in AD's best interest to come back for another season and try to get through an entire season without missing games due to injury, break Billy Sim's record and possibly win the Heisman. That would add so much more stock to his position with NFL teams. I am sure that agents are going to be playing on his feelings for his family and his Dad in particular and how much he could do with all money for them. But I honestly believe that it is NOT in his best interests(regardless of how much he means to the Sooners) to announce for the draft. If he is classified as "injury prone" and it would drop him into the second round(stranger things have happened), it would cost him literally millions of dollars. I hope that a wise counselor(one that has no vested interest one way or another) sits him down and goes over all of this with him.

I believe that this decison, whichever way it may go, will ultimately determine whether we see AD in a bowl game or not. If he comes back for a bowl game, I think he comes back next year. If he doesn't, then I think we can all wave goodbye and just wish him the best.

Ultimately though, the only person who really knows is AD. I guess we will wait and see.
In any case,
Boomer Sooner

The VIIIth
10/15/2006, 09:53 AM
My thinking exactly,althought I am not saying AD IS coming back I ain't convinced that he is gone yet either.As for the bowl game I AM convinced if he is medically cleared he will play.

Especially when he only needs about 200 yards to become the all time leading rusher.

The whole deal is just really sad...like TS Elliot said, not with a bang but a whimper.

Big Red Ron
10/15/2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah but there's one other take on Dean. He picked up the rock in a very hostile stadium when the starting QB and best RB were gone due to injury earlier in the game, put it where it needed to go, made key plays and set up the winning FG with time running out in the 4th.

Ohio State 1977.

Because of that, Dean gets all the slack he ever needs from me.Then I hope Patrick Fletcher gets his jorb.

OU Adonis
10/15/2006, 11:42 AM
Some have character and conviction. Some even have loyalty and value education. I think people will be surprised by AD's decision.

Who says he can't still go to school and be in the NFL?

TXBOOMER
10/15/2006, 12:59 PM
I think AD is getting some big signing bonus offers from Agents right now and will not be playing in the bowl game. He is done at OU. Good luck to AD. Now, let's all move on just like AD will move on.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/15/2006, 04:06 PM
...break Billy Sim's record...

You lost me. What was that again?

I coulda swore you was talkin' about Billy Sim, the virtual running back from t3h int4rw3b.