PDA

View Full Version : The national rap on OU is no leaders....

Soonerus
10/14/2006, 12:00 AM
...no "difference makers, sans AD", no game breakers....may be true(except AD)....

mightysooner
10/14/2006, 12:02 AM
And that rap would be correct.

Soonerus
10/14/2006, 12:05 AM
should not be true but I also, am afraid it may be true....why ???

mightysooner
10/14/2006, 12:13 AM
Certainly not for a lack of athletes. Don't know if anybody else noticed, but our teams is FAST and ATHLETIC. We were faster and more athletic than Texas but we didn't bring that to bare on them. Instead, our delicate psyche crept in to the picture....again....and we "choked". Why? We had control of the game going in to halftime and then........{KAHACK!}

The last mentally tough team we had won the Rose Bowl. Since then it seems like we've been playing with creampuffs.

What's happened to Birdine? Ah You? Rufus? And why does our secondary continue to suck year in and year out? This secondary has better athletes than any secondary Stoops has had in his tenure in my opinion. Why do they suck so bad?

Soonerus
10/14/2006, 12:15 AM
Certainly not for a lack of athletes. Don't know if anybody else noticed, but our teams is FAST and ATHLETIC. We were faster and more athletic than Texas but we didn't bring that to bare on them. Instead, our delicate psyche crept in to the picture....again....and we "choked". Why? We had control of the game going in to halftime and then........{KAHACK!}

The last mentally tough team we had won the Rose Bowl. Since then it seems like we've been playing with creampuffs.

What's happened to Birdine? Ah You? Rufus? And why does our secondary continue to suck year in and year out? This secondary has better athletes than any secondary Stoops has had in his tenure in my opinion. Why do they suck so bad?

A lot of truth in there....

Big Red Ron
10/14/2006, 12:19 AM
Well if Reggie Smith isn't a difference maker then I don't know what one is.

Malcom Kelly too.

mightysooner
10/14/2006, 12:24 AM
Speaking of Reggie Smith.......let me get you guys opinions. It was asked in the press conference to Bob if he thought Reggie had more impact at safety than corner and Stoops cut him off and said "definitely". Really Bob? Can we see some highlights of Reggie making a difference at safety? I haven't seen that. I don't see him breaking up passes or intercepting balls. However I HAVE seen him making a difference at corner breaking up passes and intercepting balls. Much more of a difference than DJ.
Note: Allen Patrick was recruited as a true safety and he was a top 100 safety coming out of highschool yet we have him playing only on special teams. I'm just sayin'....

So my question is.....do you guys think Reggie has more impact at safety? Or at cornerback? What's your opinion?

Soonerus
10/14/2006, 12:25 AM
given our corners, maybe corner...

soonerhubs
10/14/2006, 12:31 AM

Not to be redundant, but I think it goes back to the old adage, "It all begins up front."

Back when the Interior D-linemen were disrupting and hurrying plays, the secondary were able to be more of a threat. Since everyone else has to compensate for the lack of penetration up front, there are going to be struggles back there.

I may be wrong, but I really don't think I am in this case. I'm sure there are other problems as well, but I think it would be less evident if the Interior linemen stirred things up more. :pop:

mightysooner
10/14/2006, 12:43 AM
Not to be redundant, but I think it goes back to the old adage, "It all begins up front."

Back when the Interior D-linemen were disrupting and hurrying plays, the secondary were able to be more of a threat. Since everyone else has to compensate for the lack of penetration up front, there are going to be struggles back there.

I may be wrong, but I really don't think I am in this case. I'm sure there are other problems as well, but I think it would be less evident if the Interior linemen stirred things up more. :pop:

Okay I'll buy that to an extent. But think about this......we had a strong front last year that had a great pass rush with Dvoracek, Ah You, and Thibadeux and we could stop the run. Would you agree with that? Now.....was our secondary any better last year WITH that line than they are this year? Or what about the year before with Cody and Dvoracek? Something to think about.....

soonerhubs
10/14/2006, 01:03 AM
Okay I'll buy that to an extent. But think about this......we had a strong front last year that had a great pass rush with Dvoracek, Ah You, and Thibadeux and we could stop the run. Would you agree with that? Now.....was our secondary any better last year WITH that line than they are this year? Or what about the year before with Cody and Dvoracek? Something to think about.....
Fair enough. Like I said, I'm sure there are other mitigating factors.

MarylandSooner
10/14/2006, 08:18 AM
Speaking of Reggie at safety or corner, it did not seem he was even playiing against Texas. It was like we were hiding him back there or something. Move him back to corner.

william_brasky
10/14/2006, 09:03 AM
AD's the only one they repeatedly give opportunities to make plays.

Don't get me wrong, AD is effin' awesome, but spread the ball around a little. It seems the staff is set on getting him the Heisman.

aurorasooner
10/14/2006, 09:04 AM
after all the pre-season hype on the defense, we don't have one player on SI's midseason AA team (and rightfully so). I'm beginning to think that the a lot of the preseason outlook comming out of norman is all spin. I was figuring that at least one of the DEs, rufus, and reggie would at least be on the 2nd team. iowa state, missouri, kansas state, and texas all have players on the 2nd team. how embarrassing for a bob stoops coached team. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/midseason.all.americans/index.html

DeWare94
10/14/2006, 12:31 PM
malcolm kelly is a gamebreaker IMO