PDA

View Full Version : FAA over-reaction #237

Penguin
10/13/2006, 09:24 PM
FAA restricts Manhattan flight path (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/10/13/faa.plane.crash.ap/index.html)

"Fixed-wing planes have been banned from the East River corridor in New York unless the pilot is in contact with air traffic control, the Federal Aviation Administration said Friday."

I have 2 problems with this.

#1: ATC fatigue is a real issue. New York Center talks to thousands of flights a day. But now, they are required to keep track of silly prop jobs?

#2: How could any of these new rules have prevented this tragedy?

Man, we live in a reactionary society.

proud gonzo
10/13/2006, 09:26 PM
yep

afs
10/13/2006, 10:01 PM
honestly, what is the reaction time for the FAA to notify Homeland Defense that there is a prop aircraft not talking to them, and then for Homeland Defense to scramble military aircraft able to shoot them down? especially in NYC where the military pilots would have to get visual ID prior to engagement simply b/c of the number or A/C already in the air and then to determine the collateral damage effect of shooting a plane in mid-town?

Newbomb Turk
10/13/2006, 10:17 PM
so would you be happier if any pilot were allowed to fly anywhere they wished?

jdsmith
10/13/2006, 10:19 PM
umm, under VFR a pilot pretty much can up to a point. you have to assume that at some point you will be met by an armed aircraft if you're flying somewhere you shouldn't be. but the questions is what are the reaction times and is it short enough to prevent an attack?

GottaHavePride
10/13/2006, 11:06 PM
"Fixed-wing" planes? I must not understand this classification. Is there a plane in regular use other than the recently-retired F-14 that isn't fixed-wing?

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 11:08 PM
You mean overreaction #237 this month, right?

CrimsonandCreamForever
10/13/2006, 11:12 PM
"Fixed-wing" planes? I must not understand this classification. Is there a plane in regular use other than the recently-retired F-14 that isn't fixed-wing?
By "fixed-wing" they mean something not a helicopter, since a helicopter's "wings" (main rotor) move and an airplane's dont, for the most part.

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 11:16 PM
"Fixed-wing" planes? I must not understand this classification.

CNN must have misquoted the FAA. It's "fixed-wing aircraft", i.e. airplanes and gliders.

1stTimeCaller
10/14/2006, 12:52 PM
Why does CNN hate fixed wing aircraft?