PDA

View Full Version : People in the know about CSS

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 05:32 PM
So, I keep reading that I should stop using the 'align' attribute in my HTML tags and do that using CSS instead. Okay, great...now how do I do that?

As a replacement for this:

<p align="right">

This doesn't seem to do anything:

p { text-align: center }

And I have similar problems with <table>, etc.

:confused:

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 06:04 PM
Now it decides to work. :mad:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/13/2006, 06:14 PM
cacheing is the suck with an external stylesheet

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 06:22 PM
cacheing is the suck with an external stylesheet

Yeah, I think that's it.

Refresh. No, seriously. I'm not playing around, dammit, REFRESH. REFRESH, REFRESH, REFRESH!!!! Ah, there it goes.

Sooner_Bob
10/13/2006, 06:39 PM
I hear CSS can save a ton of work if you use it right . . . I just can't force myself to go through all of my sites and make sure it's coded correctly though.

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 06:52 PM
I hear CSS can save a ton of work if you use it right . . . I just can't force myself to go through all of my sites and make sure it's coded correctly though.

From the little bit I've used it I like it a lot. It's just going to take some effort to figure out the new CSS way of doing everything.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/13/2006, 07:31 PM
From the little bit I've used it I like it a lot. It's just going to take some effort to figure out the new CSS way of doing everything.

you sound like my SAP teacher. dude was talking about "new" technologies like xml...

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 07:44 PM
you sound like my SAP teacher. dude was talking about "new" technologies like xml...

The bleeding edge is not your friend when you've got to worry about browser compatibility in the South Pacific. :cool:

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 08:21 PM
AARGH!! Still can't get a table to center if it's inside a form unless I do it the old-fashioned way.

This works:

<form>
<table align="center>
</table>
</form>

This does not:

table { text-align: center }

Nor does this:

form table { text-align: center }

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 08:56 PM
AARGH!! Still can't get a table to center if it's inside a form unless I do it the old-fashioned way.

A ha!

table { margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto }

CSS = PWND