PDA

View Full Version : question - re: mac vs pc

jk the sooner fan
10/13/2006, 03:51 PM
ok, so mac has some pretty good commercials that make pc's seem like a bad idea

to a guy like me who isnt anymore computer savvy than any other net user....what is the real difference between a mac and pc?

and how different is the "user friendliness" of the mac compared to the pc? does it have an entirely different look?

Petro-Sooner
10/13/2006, 03:52 PM
Good question. One that I have often pondered. Layman answers please.

jk the sooner fan
10/13/2006, 03:53 PM
yes, layman

no jkm or norm speak.....i mean, you can answer, but be sure and dumb it down

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/13/2006, 03:54 PM
I've used both. They say Macs are good if you do a lot of graphics. I do graphics all the time and I don't see where one is any better than the other.

It really just depends on what you are used to using.

The Mac does have an entirely different look. For instance if you are used to using the little windows sign on your keyboard a lot, you have to use something else.

jk the sooner fan
10/13/2006, 03:55 PM
ummm, HELLOOOOOOOO surfing the net, geez

Petro-Sooner
10/13/2006, 03:56 PM
ummm, HELLOOOOOOOO surfing the net, geez

Exactly, its not like we are writing code here. :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/13/2006, 03:58 PM
What the craphell? Is that not dumb enough for you two? Surfing the net is the same.

jk the sooner fan
10/13/2006, 03:59 PM
thats not what the commercial says

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/13/2006, 04:00 PM
It's a Mac commercial. Mac tends to be rather snobbish. If you are really contemplating moving to Mac, I would visit the Apple store and play with the machines there.

49r
10/13/2006, 04:01 PM
they have twice the megaflips (MF) as most other computers. That's a lot of mf's

Mjcpr
10/13/2006, 04:01 PM
Aren't Mac's generally more expensive than a similarly outfitted PC?

Beef
10/13/2006, 04:02 PM
Aren't Mac's generally more expensive than a similarly outfitted PC?
Seems that way. Mac=less beer and strippers.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/13/2006, 04:03 PM
I believe so, hence the snobbery. Mac purists think PC's are crap, but most offices use the Windows interface,.

Mjcpr
10/13/2006, 04:04 PM
**** it then.

49r
10/13/2006, 04:06 PM
There are a few minor (yet fundamental) user interface changes that the average PC user would need to get used to. Generally, any software you can get off the shelf (except for some games) for PC's is also available for Macs, however, some downloadable programs aren't available (programs such as Trillian, etc). But other than that, I'd say the biggest difference is not needing to have a bunch of anti-virus and anti-spyware software loaded on my mac.

1stTimeCaller
10/13/2006, 04:06 PM
OK guys, I'll ask for you being as jk is too shy to ask. Can you watch the pron the same way or do the wimmins in the pron look different when viewed on a Mac?

49r
10/13/2006, 04:07 PM

Higher quality components (such as graphics processors and displays) = pr0n in more vivid detail!

GottaHavePride
10/13/2006, 04:08 PM
With the newest windows releases there is very little difference between mac and pc. The biggest difference I notice is that if you're the kind of person capable of digging around in your computer settings to tweak its performance or fix things yourself it's generally easier to get to those controls on a pc - mac buries them a little farther down. That's why I like PCs.

Other than that, PCs have better software available for business applications and gaming, while Macs have better software for digital graphics, video, and audio editing. And Macs cost more and aren't really upgrade-able. That's another big downside to Macs for me. I like being able to pop the case open and add another hard drive, a gig of ram, new video card, etc. and have essentially a new computer for a few hundred dollars instead of shelling out $5000 for the equivalent performance gain on a new Mac.

Mjcpr
10/13/2006, 04:08 PM
Okay, so 49r is a Mac user.....anyone else?

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 04:10 PM
ok, so mac has some pretty good commercials that make pc's seem like a bad idea

Most of Apple's commercials are full of ****, which is sad because the Mac can stand on it's own merits without having to rely on bashing the competition. Around here, we like to call that inferiority complex "aggy".

For example, I have never caught a virus on a PC, or even had an infection prevented by my AV software. Follow some basic precautions (apply security updates on a regular basis and don't open strange e-mail attachments) and you'll be golden.

and how different is the "user friendliness" of the mac compared to the pc? does it have an entirely different look?

Apple durka durkas go on and on and on and on about how easy it is to use a Mac, but guess what? If you're already used to Windows it's not that easy. On a basic philosophical level MacOS and Windows are the same (you have files and folders and programs to run), but there are some significant differences.

GottaHavePride
10/13/2006, 04:11 PM
For example, I have never caught a virus on a PC, or even had an infection prevented by my AV software. Follow some basic precautions (apply security updates on a regular basis and don't open strange e-mail attachments) and you'll be golden.

This is also true. Not being an idiot makes using either system much easier. ;)

49r
10/13/2006, 04:12 PM
With the newest windows releases there is very little difference between mac and pc. The biggest difference I notice is that if you're the kind of person capable of digging around in your computer settings to tweak its performance or fix things yourself it's generally easier to get to those controls on a pc - mac buries them a little farther down. That's why I like PCs.

Other than that, PCs have better software available for business applications and gaming, while Macs have better software for digital graphics, video, and audio editing. And Macs cost more and aren't really upgrade-able. That's another big downside to Macs for me. I like being able to pop the case open and add another hard drive, a gig of ram, new video card, etc. and have essentially a new computer for a few hundred dollars instead of shelling out $5000 for the equivalent performance gain on a new Mac.

That's a myth. It has been for years. The biggest difference is that you can't just put any kind of hardware into your Mac. I'm just sayin' :)

jk the sooner fan
10/13/2006, 04:15 PM
ok, i think we've exceeded the point of dumbing it down.......we got the pron question answered

mods, please lock this thread ;)

GottaHavePride
10/13/2006, 04:16 PM
That's a myth. It has been for years. The biggest difference is that you can't just put any kind of hardware into your Mac. I'm just sayin' :)
Yeah, but I just did several internet searches and found absolutely no place online that sells Mac components so you can upgrade your Mac. It may exist, but the accessibility succs.

;)

EDIT: I just found www.macsupportstore.com but about the most you'll get from them is a video card or logic board.

SoonerInKCMO
10/13/2006, 04:16 PM
Most of Apple's commercials are full of ****, which is sad because the Mac can stand on it's own merits without having to rely on bashing the competition. Around here, we like to call that inferiority complex "aggy".

Precisely. Back in the day, I worked in desktop and network support at a shop that had Macs, WinPCs and Sparcstations. We had sales/support reps in all the time for both hardware and software. By far... and I mean BY FAR the Mac people were the biggest aggy-like pricks I could have imagined. They lied about what their products could do. They lied about what their competitors' products could do. And when called on their lies, they called me a liar as well.

**** Macs. **** 'em in their overpriced, overhyped, sorry aggy asses.

SoonerInKCMO
10/13/2006, 04:19 PM
And every time I see those Mac vs. PC commercials I'm reminded of the Apple guys we had on site and want to beat the holy crap out of that Mac dork in the commercials.

49r
10/13/2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah, but I just did several internet searches and found absolutely no place online that sells Mac components so you can upgrade your Mac. It may exist, but the accessibility succs.

;)

EDIT: I just found www.macsupportstore.com but about the most you'll get from them is a video card or logic board.

Well, what do you need to upgrade? And for what system?

yermom
10/13/2006, 04:20 PM
you can add RAM, hard drives and video cards, but the video cards have to be Mac specific

i like Mac laptops, but i doubt i would buy a desktop... you can buy a LOT of PC for what the Mac costs, i don't really see the benefits outweighing that cost

as something of a power user, i like the backend junk like SSH being built in, and X Windows. well, that and the firewall and security aspects. although, i do like the XP SP2 firewall ok

btw, if you miss Trillian, try Adium (http://adiumx.com/)

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 04:27 PM
By far... and I mean BY FAR the Mac people were the biggest aggy-like pricks I could have imagined. They lied about what their products could do. They lied about what their competitors' products could do. And when called on their lies, they called me a liar as well.

Back in the 90's, MacOS sucked donkey balls. It crashed all the ****ing time. It was even worse than Windows 3.1 Yeah, I said it. (Actually, I never had any problems with Windows 3.1.) But to listen to the Mac Jihad it never crashed. Ask those same people about MacOS 7 or 8 or whatever now and they'll finally admit that it was crap before they start regaling you with tales of OS X's superiority.

You guys, seriously, OS X is so awesome. It never crashes. It's way better than that stupid Winblows crap Kyle uses. Stupid Jew.

NormanPride
10/13/2006, 04:28 PM
Fast forward pr0n in QuickTime is hella funny.

49r
10/13/2006, 04:29 PM
you can add RAM, hard drives and video cards, but the video cards have to be Mac specific

i like Mac laptops, but i doubt i would buy a desktop... you can buy a LOT of PC for what the Mac costs, i don't really see the benefits outweighing that cost

as something of a power user, i like the backend junk like SSH being built in, and X Windows. well, that and the firewall and security aspects. although, i do like the XP SP2 firewall ok

btw, if you miss Trillian, try Adium (http://adiumx.com/)

iChat is practically the same as Trillian anyway, you can connect to AIM, ICQ, and MSN (through jabber). Not sure about Y!.

Yeah, you're right, you can buy a LOT of PC for what you pay for a Mac desktop, but you also get a LOT of Mac for that money too. i.e. the components are about the same at similar pricepoints. The biggest difference is Apple doesn't make el cheapo loss-leader computers like Dell and the others do to get you in the door.

But I don't much care if people love or hate Apple computers. I don't really want to see too many folks buy them...cause the more popular they become the more likely I'm going to have to eventually use AV software.

GottaHavePride
10/13/2006, 04:29 PM
Well, what do you need to upgrade? And for what system?

I don't - I use a PC. :D

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 04:30 PM
Fast forward pr0n in QuickTime is hella funny.

Installing QuickTime for Windows is like giving your computer herpes. It's not fatal, but good luck getting rid of it.

49r
10/13/2006, 04:34 PM
I don't - I use a PC. :D

Yeah, I used to like to fart around with my computer, too. It was always so much fun to install a new card or something.

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 04:34 PM
but you also get a LOT of Mac for that money too.

Plus, keep in mind that MacOS comes bundled with more software than Windows.

Mainly because when Microsoft tries to bundle stuff with Windows, Apple and other companies sue them for anti-trust violations. :rolleyes:

Flagstaffsooner
10/13/2006, 04:35 PM
Are the people who produce the Mac ads the same people who do them for the Dems?

yermom
10/13/2006, 04:36 PM
Installing QuickTime for Windows is like giving your computer herpes. It's not fatal, but good luck getting rid of it.

it's no Symantec ;)

the thing that bugs me about it is that every time you upgrade iTunes it upgrades Quicktime and undoes your preferences about it not starting with Windows, etc...

GottaHavePride
10/13/2006, 04:37 PM
it's no Symantec ;)

the thing that bugs me about it is that every time you upgrade iTunes it upgrades Quicktime and undoes your preferences about it not starting with Windows, etc...

...and not putting the damn icon in the system tray.

Petro-Sooner
10/13/2006, 04:37 PM
Are the people who produce the Mac ads the same people who do them for the Dems?

ZING.....

yermom
10/13/2006, 04:38 PM
iChat is practically the same as Trillian anyway, you can connect to AIM, ICQ, and MSN (through jabber). Not sure about Y!.

Yeah, you're right, you can buy a LOT of PC for what you pay for a Mac desktop, but you also get a LOT of Mac for that money too. i.e. the components are about the same at similar pricepoints. The biggest difference is Apple doesn't make el cheapo loss-leader computers like Dell and the others do to get you in the door.

But I don't much care if people love or hate Apple computers. I don't really want to see too many folks buy them...cause the more popular they become the more likely I'm going to have to eventually use AV software.

if you spend a grand on a PC, that is going to be a beast of a computer, the Mac Pro just starts at 2.5 times that

49r
10/13/2006, 04:39 PM
Plus, keep in mind that MacOS comes bundled with more software than Windows.

I think this is a myth, too. MacOS just comes bundled with more useful software

jk the sooner fan
10/13/2006, 04:39 PM
i'm so glad i gave you puter geeks a thread to talk amongst yourselves in ;)

49r
10/13/2006, 04:41 PM
if you spend a grand on a PC, that is going to be a beast of a computer, the Mac Pro just starts at 2.5 times that

If you spend a grand on a PC, you're going to get about the same amount of computer you paid a grand for your iMac for.

No way you get two dual-core Xeon processors and 500 GB storage for a grand.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2006, 04:43 PM
I had a mac laptop with whatever MacOS version was before OSX and that sumbeetch crashed all the freaking time.

It was the first, last, and only Mac that I will ever own.

(i love my ipod though)

handcrafted
10/13/2006, 04:47 PM
Boy, there seems to be an awful lot of ignorance in this thread. Dose of reality:

Mac Pros:

1. far, far better, more powerful, flexible and stable OS that is really much easier to customize once you get the hang of it. XP tries to copy OS X's functionality but fails miserably. The Windows admin tools are garbage. However, if you want to, you can run Windows on a Mac now, as they are using Intel chipsets.

2. No need for firewall or anti-virus software. The amount of viruses/spyware that can infect a Mac are so miniscule that it's not worth installing protection. Very secure.

3. Quality of components is generally better than PC makers. Apple has superior QC. Macs bundled applications RMFO.

Mac cons -- the GUI is different enough that it takes a little getting used to. However, innerweb operates the same and the Mac now runs all Windows programs natively. Customization requires some knowledge of UNIX if you want to be able to do anything under the hood. Price point is a little higher but Macs have a lot more standard features than same-priced PCs.

handcrafted
10/13/2006, 04:48 PM
I had a mac laptop with whatever MacOS version was before OSX and that sumbeetch crashed all the freaking time.

It was the first, last, and only Mac that I will ever own.

(i love my ipod though)

Well, every PC I have ever owned crashed all the freaking time.

49r
10/13/2006, 04:49 PM
There's only one group of people more passionate about Apple computers than Mac enthusiasts....and that's the Mac haters! :D

handcrafted
10/13/2006, 04:49 PM
If you spend a grand on a PC, you're going to get about the same amount of computer you paid a grand for your iMac for.

No way you get two dual-core Xeon processors and 500 GB storage for a grand.

Werd. And I wonder if yermom is including the cost of a monitor in his price. iMacs come with.

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 04:50 PM
dual-core Xeon processors

Intel processors are pieces of ****. Everybody knows that. PowerPC chips outperform Intel chips in every Photoshop benchmark test paid for by Apple there is. Hey, stupid Windblows users, how does it feel to be stuck with a second-rate processor?

What's that? Apple is moving to Intel? Sweeeeeet.

handcrafted
10/13/2006, 04:51 PM
There's only one group of people more passionate about Apple computers than Mac enthusiasts....and that's the Mac haters! :D

There's really no reason for anyone to hate Macs. Some might prefer crap PCs, but that's okay, the world needs the white trash computer geeks. :D

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2006, 04:52 PM
Well, every PC I have ever owned crashed all the freaking time.

See, my PC never crashes though. I used to have crash problems with 98 but XP has not crashed or frozen on me one single time.

yermom
10/13/2006, 04:52 PM
no one needs 2 dual-cores ;)

i like the iMacs, but they aren't really upgradable, i like having a tower and a separate monitor(s)

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 04:54 PM

For the record, I don't Macs, just Apple and certain sanctimonious Mac users. It's a computer, not a "lifestyle choice".

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2006, 04:55 PM
I did put the apple sticker from my ipod on my HP laptop.

IB4OU2
10/13/2006, 04:56 PM
My wife love's Macs because she's a graphic artist and I'm a PC fan 'cause I'm white trash....

NormanPride
10/13/2006, 04:56 PM
You can tell mdklatt is one of those Windows users that is "troubled" by mac users. I've always thought this an odd phenomenon. It's like an OU fan being "troubled" by an aggy. They're just not a threat. Now, Linux users...

yermom
10/13/2006, 04:57 PM
go on... :mad:

;)

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 04:58 PM
You can tell mdklatt is one of those Windows users that is "troubled" by mac users.

I'm troubled by bull****, regardless of the source. :cool:

1stTimeCaller
10/13/2006, 04:59 PM
ya know. I've always heard the stereotype about Mac users and wondered if it was true. Thanks to Handcrafted I can see that it is. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2006, 04:59 PM
I think the issue seems to be a greater problem with mac users than macs themselves which I totally understand.

Most seem to be the hippy sort with whom I avoid associating.

yermom
10/13/2006, 05:00 PM
heh

i'm pretty impartial, really. i'm using all three about about every day

IB4OU2
10/13/2006, 05:01 PM
I think the issue seems to be a greater problem with mac users than macs themselves which I totally understand.

Most seem to be the hippy sort with whom I avoid associating.

you know my wife?

handcrafted
10/13/2006, 05:01 PM
See, my PC never crashes though. I used to have crash problems with 98 but XP has not crashed or frozen on me one single time.

Count yourself fortunate, then. I've had my current Gateway about a year now. I wanted a Mac, but I had to have one in a hurry and price was a consideration. I'm constantly dealing with application crashes, audio/video problems, and the admin tools are so counterintuitive that it annoys the hell out of me. I hate the registry and want to drown its kittens. It locks up half the time when I try to shutdown or restart. A coupla weeks ago I got a nasty-azz spyware/hijackware attack that walked right through a gaping hole in Internet Exploder and took over my entire system. The "firewall" didn't even blink or know there was a problem. I had to download specialized command line apps to get rid of it.

Need I go on?

yermom
10/13/2006, 05:02 PM
i stopped at Internet Exploder ;)

handcrafted
10/13/2006, 05:03 PM
ya know. I've always heard the stereotype about Mac users and wondered if it was true. Thanks to Handcrafted I can see that it is. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'm here to serve. :D

GottaHavePride
10/13/2006, 05:03 PM
Boy, there seems to be an awful lot of ignorance in this thread. Dose of reality:

Mac Pros:

1. far, far better, more powerful, flexible and stable OS that is really much easier to customize once you get the hang of it. XP tries to copy OS X's functionality but fails miserably. The Windows admin tools are garbage. However, if you want to, you can run Windows on a Mac now, as they are using Intel chipsets.

2. No need for firewall or anti-virus software. The amount of viruses/spyware that can infect a Mac are so miniscule that it's not worth installing protection. Very secure.

3. Quality of components is generally better than PC makers. Apple has superior QC. Macs bundled applications RMFO.

Mac cons -- the GUI is different enough that it takes a little getting used to. However, innerweb operates the same and the Mac now runs all Windows programs natively. Customization requires some knowledge of UNIX if you want to be able to do anything under the hood. Price point is a little higher but Macs have a lot more standard features than same-priced PCs.
OK, to point #1 I would say I haven't had a PC crash on me in nearly a decade, but I've had a LOT of Macs crash. Thus, in my own personal experience, the Mac OS is NOT more stable. As to powerful, power is in the applications the OS will run, the OS is just a framework that just needs to not crash. Advantage - PC.

On point #2 I would say anyone not running AV and firewall software, no matter what platform they're using, deserves whatever happens to their computer when someone gets around to writing a virus for Macs. But I'm a paranoid, suspicious bastard when it comes to any device with internet connecivity. Advantage - even

And point #3 I would say that's why you're supposed to do some research about the parts you're buying before you go installing a turd inside your computer. Caveat emptor. Advantage - PC (in my view, competition between a lot of manufacturers is better)

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2006, 05:04 PM
Count yourself fortunate, then. I've had my current Gateway about a year now. I wanted a Mac, but I had to have one in a hurry and price was a consideration. I'm constantly dealing with application crashes, audio/video problems, and the admin tools are so counterintuitive that it annoys the hell out of me. I hate the registry and want to drown its kittens. It locks up half the time when I try to shutdown or restart. A coupla weeks ago I got a nasty-azz spyware/hijackware attack that walked right through a gaping hole in Internet Exploder and took over my entire system. The "firewall" didn't even blink or know there was a problem. I had to download specialized command line apps to get rid of it.

Need I go on?

Geezus, maybe Gateway is the problem. They used to be pretty decent I think, but everyone I know that has one now complains.

I have a HP laptop now and before that a Sony Vaio desktop both running XP and never had a single problem. I've had the typical slowdowns from spyware and stuff, but I got all of that taken care of with a firewall and watching what I do online.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2006, 05:05 PM
you know my wife?

There's a joke to be found here, but I'm not that witty.

yermom
10/13/2006, 05:06 PM
Gateway succs btw

handcrafted
10/13/2006, 05:06 PM
I used a Mac for 3 years at a previous job and during that time it crashed precisely once, and that was due to a bug in an upgrade.

GottaHavePride
10/13/2006, 05:07 PM
Gateway succs btw

Indeed.

yermom
10/13/2006, 05:07 PM
i've crashed them more than a few times, but it's nothing like the pre-OSX days

still lots better than Wind0z3 or Linux in that respect though

handcrafted
10/13/2006, 05:10 PM
i've crashed them more than a few times, but it's nothing like the pre-OSX days

still lots better than Wind0z3 or Linux in that respect though

Truth.

You can crash OSX if you really try, but it's bloody difficult.

GrapevineSooner
10/13/2006, 05:18 PM
I'm just wondering why the concept of strong passwords is so difficult for some of my customers to tackle.

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 05:20 PM
You can crash OSX if you really try, but it's bloody difficult.

We've got a Linux box here that has NEVER crashed (i.e. never needed a three-finger salute), and it's been up continuously for several years now (minus a couple of extended power outages). We've also got an NT4 machine that's been running forever without crashing. The only BSODs I've ever seen with a Win2000/XP machine have been due to dying hardware.

Now IE crashes more than it's fair share, but it never takes down anything else with it.

yermom
10/13/2006, 05:24 PM
my Linux box that i use as a workstation hangs all the time, if you are using them without the gui, or just for server/work type stuff it's fine.

browsing the web with Flash/video stuff will kill it in short order

Mjcpr
10/13/2006, 05:26 PM
So jk, this answer your question?

:D

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 05:33 PM
my Linux box that i use as a workstation hangs all the time, if you are using them without the gui, or just for server/work type stuff it's fine.

Maybe that explains it.

browsing the web with Flash/video stuff will kill it in short order

:les: Quit looking at pr0n and get back to work!

Stoop Dawg
10/13/2006, 05:57 PM
Mac used to be able to achieve technical superiority because they controlled all of the components (hardware & OS). It's much easier to QC when you control both.

PCs have always had the "problem" of accepting any kind of trashy hardware the guy in the garage wanted to throw in there and the OS was expected to accept it and work automatically.

Unfortunately, Apple was unable to capitalize on its technical superiority. Probably mostly due to price.

As klatt indicated, Mac now supports Intel processors and runs Windows apps. That's really all you need to know about Macs.

(P.S. "Security by obscurity" is not "security" at all - just ask Firefox)

SoonerInKCMO
10/13/2006, 06:02 PM
There's really no reason for anyone to hate Macs. Some might prefer crap PCs, but that's okay, the world needs the white trash computer geeks. :D

I don't hate Macs... just Mac users. ;)

SoonerInKCMO
10/13/2006, 06:05 PM

Need I go on?

User. Error. :texan:

Like SicEm, I've never had a crash with my current XP running PC - I've had it for about 1.5 years.

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 06:20 PM
A coupla weeks ago I got a nasty-azz spyware/hijackware attack that walked right through a gaping hole in Internet Exploder and took over my entire system.

99.9% of remote IE exploits come from servers/web sites that you have no business pointing your browser to in the first place, e.g. wAr3z sites and Russian beastiality pr0n. Or did you click on a link in a bogus e-mail and then hit "OK" when you were asked to install a new ActiveX control?

The "firewall" didn't even blink or know there was a problem.

Are you using SP2? Do you install security updates on a fairly regular basis (even monthly is usually good enough)?

Stoop Dawg
10/13/2006, 06:22 PM
Are you using SP2? Do you install security updates on a fairly regular basis (even monthly is usually good enough)?

Why do security updates for a real OS when you can just use an obscure OS that is not targetted by hackers and call it "secure"?

;)

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 06:27 PM
Why do security updates for a real OS when you can just use an obscure OS that is not targetted by hackers and call it "secure"?

;)

Apple puts out plenty of security updates for OS X, including at least one that had to be recalled because of the showstopper bugs it introduced. And then I'm sure they sent out a press release saying, "At least we're not as bad as Windows." Aggies.

royalfan5
10/13/2006, 06:29 PM
Mac used to be able to achieve technical superiority because they controlled all of the components (hardware & OS). It's much easier to QC when you control both.

PCs have always had the "problem" of accepting any kind of trashy hardware the guy in the garage wanted to throw in there and the OS was expected to accept it and work automatically.

Unfortunately, Apple was unable to capitalize on its technical superiority. Probably mostly due to price.

As klatt indicated, Mac now supports Intel processors and runs Windows apps. That's really all you need to know about Macs.

(P.S. "Security by obscurity" is not "security" at all - just ask Firefox)

Apple was so poorly run for so much of it's history that it made it impossible for them to sustain their early advantage in the Personal Computing field. More than anything, that relagated Apple to a pertpual niche player.

soonerboomer93
10/13/2006, 06:31 PM
Higher quality components (such as graphics processors and displays) = pr0n in more vivid detail!

I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure that the highest end available video cards aren't supported on the MAC. I know they do have some nVidia cards avaialbe, but drivers for the top of the line cards aren't available.

Frozen Sooner
10/13/2006, 06:32 PM
I'm actually strongly considering purchasing a MacBook Pro next year. I'm gonna wait until they make one with either a BluRay or HD-DVD drive (likely BluRay, just to hedge my bets on the format war-and Apple is signed on for BluRay right now.)

soonerboomer93
10/13/2006, 06:34 PM

;)

A MAC uses standard interfaces for it's drives, so it will accept the normal off the shelf hard drive. The memory used to be a proprietary interface that required very specific timing, but I'm not sure on this. They do use PCI-express now for their video interface so in theory support any video card, however you have to find drivers for them.

soonerboomer93
10/13/2006, 06:41 PM

Mac Pros:

Anyone using any system exposed to the internet should be running anti-spyware and anitvirus software. To do otherwise is asking for toruble. MAC's OS does have security wholes that are known and have not been patch. It's a matter of the people looking into these exploits are fewer because of market share reasons. If you want to make virus knews you go after the company with 90% market share, not the compnay with 10%

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 06:50 PM
Anyone using any system exposed to the internet should be running anti-spyware and anitvirus software.

If you turn on Windows Update and delete emails from somebody you've never heard of with the subject "Weighty letter. You should to read DESIREE" (keeping in mind that your name is not Desiree) you don't even need AV or anti-spyware software to keep you 99% safe.

BajaOklahoma
10/13/2006, 06:57 PM
JK, several years ago oue District upgraded our old Macs to PCs.
I hated the Macs. I am not a computer geek, but I started working/playing on computers when the OS was DOS and the memory consisted of 2 5 1/4" floppies. The Macs drove me crazy. It shouldn't have been that hard to dela with a Mac, but I just didn't get it.

Frozen Sooner
10/13/2006, 07:12 PM
JK, several years ago oue District upgraded our old Macs to PCs.
I hated the Macs. I am not a computer geek, but I started working/playing on computers when the OS was a bunch of punchcards and the memory was vacuum tubes.

Fixed.

Granny.

;)

Ted's currently purring away. :D

soonerboomer93
10/13/2006, 07:37 PM
If you turn on Windows Update and delete emails from somebody you've never heard of with the subject "Weighty letter. You should to read DESIREE" (keeping in mind that your name is not Desiree) you don't even need AV or anti-spyware software to keep you 99% safe.

True, it might not be needed, but it's safer to have.

49r
10/13/2006, 08:19 PM
I'm actually strongly considering purchasing a MacBook Pro next year. I'm gonna wait until they make one with either a BluRay or HD-DVD drive (likely BluRay, just to hedge my bets on the format war-and Apple is signed on for BluRay right now.)

Interesting since you just purchased HD-DVD for your home theater. But it should be one hella sweet laptop.

49r
10/13/2006, 08:23 PM
...you go after the company with 90% market share, not the compnay with 10%

I'll be real happy if the ratios stay right about there. Keep buyin' PC's chuck! :D

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 08:23 PM
Interesting since you just purchased HD-DVD for your home theater.

Now he's got his bases covered. ;)

49r
10/13/2006, 08:28 PM
no one needs 2 dual-cores ;)

Depends on your definition of "needs"! :D

BajaOklahoma
10/13/2006, 08:30 PM
Mike, my stepfather worked for IBM for years. He used to bring home punchcards before Christmas. Spray paint them green and they made great wreaths - well, to a kid anyway.

Told ya I'm part of the old crowd.

Getem
10/13/2006, 08:50 PM
Token Linux user post

You mean, you joes PAID for software that CRASHES?!! :mack:

mdklatt
10/13/2006, 08:58 PM
You mean, you joes PAID for software that CRASHES?!! :mack:

Hell no! Campus licensing agreements rawk. :D

soonerboomer93
10/13/2006, 09:27 PM
Corp WinXP pro is nice

Frozen Sooner
10/13/2006, 09:34 PM
Interesting since you just purchased HD-DVD for your home theater. But it should be one hella sweet laptop.

Like I said-hedging my bets. In a year or so the format war should be much clearer-and at that point if BluRay looks like it's going to win, I'll just buy a lappy with it included. If HD-DVD is still the clearly superior format by both price and comparison test, I'll wait until Apple embraces HD-DVD.