PDA

View Full Version : ***200***

Sooner24
10/13/2006, 12:02 AM
This Saturday will be my 200th OU home game in a row.

I never imagined when I went to that first game I would not miss a home game for 35 years.

I have been fortunate to see some great players, not just for OU, but the opposing teams as well. In this stretch I have been witness too four National Championships, two Heisman winners, and numerous other award winning players. I have sat through searing heat, driving rain, bitter cold and even on occasion, some really nice weather too. I have saved every program and ticket stub, not just from the home games, but all 257 games home and away, that I have attended. Hot Dogs were a dollar, Cokes were $.50 and programs were a dollar, when I started my streak. Where I parked back then was free and now is $10.00. You might see a few people eating sandwiches at their car, before the game and that was considered serious tailgating. You never saw anyone drinking beer while walking around outside the stadium. There were no traffic lights on Highway 9 and you could be on the Interstate in ten minutes from the time you got to your car. There was no upper deck on either side of the stadium and the south end zone was wooden bleachers like you might find at a small town high school field. There was no SoonerVision and the band played during timeouts instead of the non-stop giveaway, recognition crap that goes on during the games today. Tickets cost $6.00 no matter who the opposing team was. You could carry your own food and drinks into the game. Bob Barry and Jack Ogle called the games. Wait a minute Bob Barry is still calling the games! Some idiot would always be sitting on the wall and they would come on the PA and tell everyone that it was 67 feet to the ground and please get off the wall. Captain Dave Boyett gave traffic reports in the KTOK helicopter, "Red Rover Over". The fans never booed the opposing team unless it was OSU. You could walk across the field after the game. The national anthem ended in Brave instead of Sooner.

I'm sure I have missed some things but all in all it's been a fun ride.

Soonerus
10/13/2006, 12:20 AM
Congratulations !!!!!

yermom
10/13/2006, 09:29 AM
that's awesome

this is my 6th year of home games :D (3rd of every game)

what do you do with the tickets? i have all mine, but i haven't figured out what to do with them

mikeb
10/13/2006, 09:31 AM
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colleyvillesooner
10/13/2006, 09:37 AM
that's awesome

this is my 6th year of home games :D (3rd of every game)

what do you do with the tickets? i have all mine, but i haven't figured out what to do with them

I started taping them to the program and putting them in these:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8503/p1010069i2lq2.jpg

Boomer.....
10/13/2006, 10:18 AM
That's awesome! Congrats.

Blues1
10/13/2006, 10:20 AM
Thats a Great Record.....!!!!

You are For Sure Rockin' ----- :)

The Maestro
10/13/2006, 11:12 AM
Congrats! And I hate your guts...in a very healthy jealous kinda way!

DarrellZero
10/13/2006, 11:42 AM
So I guess you showed up all through the Blake years.

You deserve a medal just for that.

SoonerLB
10/13/2006, 12:42 PM
Congrats! I've only missed a handful of games in the last 25+ years, but then again, I have to watch them on TV or listen to them on radio, which is how my grandfather got me started on Sooner football way back when.

BoonesFarmSooner
10/13/2006, 12:57 PM

Wow!!!!!

Helluva streak, Dean!

OK2LA
10/13/2006, 01:06 PM

I never imagined when I went to that first game I would not miss a home game for 35 years.

I have been fortunate to see some great players, not just for OU, but the opposing teams as well. In this stretch I have been witness too four National Championships, two Heisman winners, and numerous other award winning players. I have sat through searing heat, driving rain, bitter cold and even on occasion, some really nice weather too. I have saved every program and ticket stub, not just from the home games, but all 257 games home and away, that I have attended. Hot Dogs were a dollar, Cokes were $.50 and programs were a dollar, when I started my streak. Where I parked back then was free and now is $10.00. You might see a few people eating sandwiches at their car, before the game and that was considered serious tailgating. You never saw anyone drinking beer while walking around outside the stadium. There were no traffic lights on Highway 9 and you could be on the Interstate in ten minutes from the time you got to your car. There was no upper deck on either side of the stadium and the south end zone was wooden bleachers like you might find at a small town high school field. There was no SoonerVision and the band played during timeouts instead of the non-stop giveaway, recognition crap that goes on during the games today. Tickets cost $6.00 no matter who the opposing team was. You could carry your own food and drinks into the game. Bob Barry and Jack Ogle called the games. Wait a minute Bob Barry is still calling the games! Some idiot would always be sitting on the wall and they would come on the PA and tell everyone that it was 67 feet to the ground and please get off the wall. Captain Dave Boyett gave traffic reports in the KTOK helicopter, "Red Rover Over". The fans never booed the opposing team unless it was OSU. You could walk across the field after the game. The national anthem ended in Brave instead of Sooner.

I'm sure I have missed some things but all in all it's been a fun ride.

Wow! I'm impressed! By my math, that makes you about . . . . 38 years old? Right? :D

Congrats on an impressive streak!

FlatheadSooner
10/13/2006, 01:46 PM
Well done my Sooner brother! Carry on.

The Maestro
10/13/2006, 02:52 PM
So in that time give us your best game, worst game, hottest game, coldest game, etc.

BigDeezy
10/13/2006, 07:36 PM
Wow. That is simply cool.

jk the sooner fan
10/13/2006, 07:56 PM
i'll bet you never saw Kerry Jackson start a game at QB

Crimson Kid
10/13/2006, 08:14 PM
I sure eny you, i wish i could have seen that many games..

Congrats.

TXBOOMER
10/13/2006, 08:27 PM
Congrats. That is unreal. I'm more impressed that you control your seen to the point that you have never had a work or family situation trump an OU game in the last 35 years.

Wishboned
10/13/2006, 08:42 PM
Holy cow.

That is just outstanding.

SoonerDood
10/13/2006, 09:25 PM
what's our record in those 200 games?

Sooner24
10/13/2006, 11:13 PM
i'll bet you never saw Kerry Jackson start a game at QB

I bet you're right. ;)

Sooner24
10/13/2006, 11:41 PM
So in that time give us your best game, worst game, hottest game, coldest game, etc.

Best game if I had to pick just one would be the 2000 Nebraska game. That was the game that said we were back and back in a big way.

Worst game was the 1997 Texas A&M game. That was the lowest I had ever seen us go.

Hottest was the Alabama game in 2002. I had been to a lot of games that were hot but I don't remember anything like that.

Coldest game would be the 1992 Kansas State game. The 1997 A&M game was cold but the 1992 K-State game was even colder.

Wettest would be a toss-up between the 1974 Missouri game the 1980 Stanford game or the 1981 Colorado game. If I just picked one the 81 Colorado game just because everything in my billfold was as wet as I was.

Saddest game was the 1975 Nebraska game. When Joe Washington, Steve Davis, LeRoy and Dewey Selmon, Jimbo Elrod, Tinker Owens, Billy Brooks, Tony DiRienzo ( I went to high school with him), Jim Littrell, Terry Webb and Kerry ( I never started a game at OU) Jackson ;) all walked off that field for the last time was really sad.

Sooner24
10/13/2006, 11:52 PM
Congrats. That is unreal. I'm more impressed that you control your seen to the point that you have never had a work or family situation trump an OU game in the last 35 years.

In 1998 I went to my granddads funeral the day of the Texas Tech game and was not going to go to the game but my grandmother told me the day before "Your Papaw wouldn't want you to miss the game and neither do I'" so right after the game my two boys and I went home changed clothes and made it to Norman before kickoff. That is the closest I have come to missing a home game in 35 years. Just 13 days later on December 1st, the same day that OU hired Bob Stoops, my only brother, who at the time was on the Norman PD, died of a heart attack. 1998 wasn't the best of years.

Crucifax Autumn
10/14/2006, 03:19 PM
That sounds like my family!

Sooner24
10/14/2006, 10:17 PM
Not quite what I had in mind for 200. :(

OUstud
10/14/2006, 10:37 PM
I knew from the second someone asked you your worst game that you would pick the A&M game, 1997.