PDA

View Full Version : how message boards have shaped our perception

PDXsooner
10/12/2006, 03:19 PM
i should have posted this in the south oval in the first place:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever stopped to wonder how much our perception of other schools and their fans have changed since the inception of the message board? It used to be after a tough loss against Nebraska, you'd wait until the next morning and peruse the paper, then on Monday you might run into the one Nebraska fan in the office and he was either cool or an idiot -- and from there you decide whether "Nebraska fans are handling it well" or "Husker fans are a bunch of pricks."

Now it's a quick jaunt over to the opposing team's message board, take a quick look at some of the subject lines, and scurry back over to report what the other team's fan base is saying. God forbid you get one renegade poster who posts a "the refs cheated" thread, then a lurking longhorn runs back to their site and claims "All Sooners think the refs cheated - what a bunch of whiners!!!".

It's really wierd. I think that most message boards are the extreme 5% of fanbases and in no way reflect the majority of fans. For example, I think the OU fanbase as a whole is pretty knowledgable and realistic, but most posters (especially on OUinsider) are temperamental, moody, bandwagoning idiots.

Fugue
10/12/2006, 03:20 PM
I'm way too stupid to get this deep. :( :texan:

colleyvillesooner
10/12/2006, 03:22 PM
:pop:

proud gonzo
10/12/2006, 03:23 PM
I don't visit other message boards and i don't really interact with opposing team fans on here.

Fugue
10/12/2006, 03:27 PM

nice vcash

Osce0la
10/12/2006, 03:28 PM
I try to avoid our rivals message boards. However, I did notice that one Miami board a Noles fan can have a civil conversation and give their thoughts on the Miami game they had seen on Saturday, but on the other Miami board if you give any comments (not flames, but general conversation) you will get slammed by their posters.

Mjcpr
10/12/2006, 03:29 PM
On the contrary, it has only confirmed my belief that all Texas fans are tremendous *******s.

Osce0la
10/12/2006, 03:32 PM
On the contrary, it has only confirmed my belief that all Texas fans are tremendous *******s.
You probably don't need message boards for that...

Just like I didn't need message boards to figure out that Gator fans are classless jacka**es.

colleyvillesooner
10/12/2006, 03:33 PM
nice vcash

**** TCU.

Fugue
10/12/2006, 03:34 PM
**** TCU.

heh

colleyvillesooner

Just like I didn't need message boards to figure out that *insert in-state rival here* fans are classless jacka**es.

fixed

Osce0la
heh

I don't really mind Miami fans too much though, they're usually decent people.

PDXsooner
10/12/2006, 03:36 PM
it's probably a damn good idea to

a) not visit other message boards
b) not interact with opposing fans on these

royalfan5
10/12/2006, 03:38 PM
I didn't really start to loath other Nebraska fans until I discovered internet messesage boards.

Mixer!
10/12/2006, 03:58 PM

Just like I didn't need message boards to figure out that Gator fans are classless jacka**es.

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/8636/bethsparty8oh.jpg