PDA

View Full Version : How message boards have shaped our perception

PDXsooner
10/12/2006, 02:43 PM
Have you ever stopped to wonder how much our perception of other schools and their fans have changed since the inception of the message board? It used to be after a tough loss against Nebraska, you'd wait until the next morning and peruse the paper, then on Monday you might run into the one Nebraska fan in the office and he was either cool or an idiot -- and from there you decide whether "Nebraska fans are handling it well" or "Husker fans are a bunch of pricks."

Now it's a quick jaunt over to the opposing team's message board, take a quick look at some of the subject lines, and scurry back over to report what the other team's fan base is saying. God forbid you get one renegade poster who posts a "the refs cheated" thread, then a lurking longhorn runs back to their site and claims "All Sooners think the refs cheated - what a bunch of whiners!!!".

It's really wierd. I think that most message boards are the extreme 5% of fanbases and in no way reflect the majority of fans. For example, I think the OU fanbase as a whole is pretty knowledgable and realistic, but most posters (especially on OUinsider) are temperamental, moody, bandwagoning idiots.

Boomer.....
10/12/2006, 03:15 PM
Go on :pop:

fwsooner22
10/12/2006, 03:43 PM
Hmmmmmmm

Soonermagik
10/12/2006, 04:01 PM
All this deep thinking is hurting my brain.

soonervegas
10/12/2006, 04:10 PM
I do think message boards have shaped my perception of rivals, etc.

When I was younger I used to root for OSU when they were not playing OU, not passionately but I wanted them to do well since they were a "state school". Since the advent of the message board and talk radio I want them to go 1-10 every year and frankly would prefer if they would just drop their football program.

As far as Texas...I knew they were full of themselves when I was young and nothing has come along to change that perception.

colleyvillesooner
10/12/2006, 04:15 PM
I do think message boards have shaped my perception of rivals, etc.

When I was younger I used to root for OSU when they were not playing OU, not passionately but I wanted them to do well since they were a "state school". Since the advent of the message board and talk radio I want them to go 1-10 every year and frankly would prefer if they would just drop their football program.

As far as Texas...I knew they were full of themselves when I was young and nothing has come along to change that perception.

I take it that one win is against Texas? :D

Crimsontothecore
10/12/2006, 04:30 PM
I hear ya. I used to think osu fans were jealous, wannabe, irritating inbreds...and message boards have absolutely confirmed my suspicions.:P

Blues1
10/12/2006, 08:57 PM
Back IN THE Old Days - (1950's) We never even Worried or thought too much about other teams fans - Of course when you go 47 straight everybody was Looking at us.... They said we were Spoiled...And we were...!!!!!!....:D

Still R'
and Still Spoiled....!!!

Soonerus
10/12/2006, 08:59 PM
Back in the old days we worried and bitched in solitude....

Blues1
10/12/2006, 09:02 PM
Back in the old days we worried and bitched in solitude....

Amen....!!!!...:)

Soonerus
10/12/2006, 09:08 PM
Amen....!!!!...:)

Aggies would kick the dog or hug the sheep....

Blues1
10/12/2006, 09:14 PM
Norte Dame Fans and OU Fans Probably Started this whole thing about Ripping other Fans - So the truth is We are mostly likely The Fans that started this fad "IF" you want to call it that....???

Soonerus
10/12/2006, 09:16 PM
you are so blue.....