PDA

View Full Version : My boss just asked me

Osce0la
10/12/2006, 01:11 PM
to put my John Henry on a report I gave him earlier. This isn't the first time he's said this, so I know it wasn't just some mistake and he accidentally said it. He seriously thinks you call a signature a John Henry...

How would I go about letting him know a signature is referred to as a "John Hancock", not a "John Henry" without making him feel like too much of an a**?

This is the boss that refers to everything (and I do mean EVARYTHING) as "this guy". As a matter of fact, what he said to me was "We got confirmation on this guy a few minutes ago...so if you will just put your John Henry on this guy for me..."

reading over this, this seems to be setting itself up for some easy ghey jokes...

sanantoniosooner
10/12/2006, 01:13 PM
Write "JOHN HENRY" on your unit and whip it out next time he asks for it.

Osce0la
10/12/2006, 01:15 PM
But he keeps telling me to put it on "this guy"...could this be an easy sexual harrassment suit?

royalfan5
10/12/2006, 01:17 PM
This thread would be alot funnier if your real name was John Hancock. Is it?

sanantoniosooner
10/12/2006, 01:17 PM
If he wants to watch, you've got grounds for a case yourself.

IB4OU2
10/12/2006, 01:18 PM
Just tell him, Sorry my "Steel Driven' Man" is currently indisposed.

Boomer.....
10/12/2006, 01:19 PM
It's Herbie Hancock.

picasso
10/12/2006, 01:21 PM
Write "JOHN HENRY" on your unit and whip it out next time he asks for it.
oh man, I died. killer!

dolemitesooner
10/12/2006, 01:21 PM
heh

picasso
10/12/2006, 01:23 PM
http://artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGPORTRAITS/music/portrait200/drp100/p118/p11849ylcaj.jpg
"John Henry why do we do these things?"

Osce0la
10/12/2006, 02:00 PM
heh...

at a few posts in this thread... :D

TUSooner
10/12/2006, 02:04 PM
I'm so far behind in this race to the gutter that I don't even know why I'm posting.

Osce0la
10/12/2006, 02:08 PM
Seriously folks, I'm very disturbed by this...

heh.

critical_phil
10/12/2006, 02:11 PM
fyi

JOHN HENRY/JOHN HANCOCK - "As every schoolboy knows, the biggest, boldest and most defiant signature on the Declaration of Independence was scrawled by John Hancock of Massachusetts. So completely did it overshadow the autographs of the other founding fathers that the term 'John Hancock' has become synonymous with 'signature' and each of us at the one time or another has spoken of 'putting his 'John Hancock' at the bottom of a document. In the West, a half century and more later, the phrase became altered to 'John Henry,' and nobody knows quite why. Suffice it that, in the words of Ramon Adams's excellent collection of cowboy jargon, 'Western Words': 'John Henry is what the cowboy calls his signature. He never signs a document, he puts his 'John Henry' to it!' Incidentally, there seems to be no connection between the John Henry of cowboy slang and the fabulous John Henry of railroad lore, who was so powerful that he could outdrive a steam drill with his hammer and steel, This legend has been traced to the drilling of the Chesapeake and Ohio Big Tunnel through West Virginia in the 1870s - substantially later than the first use of John Henry by cowpokes of the Old West." From "Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins" by William and Mary Morris (HarperCollins, New York, 1977, 1988).

Stoop Dawg
10/12/2006, 02:16 PM
to put my John Henry on a report I gave him earlier. This isn't the first time he's said this, so I know it wasn't just some mistake and he accidentally said it. He seriously thinks you call a signature a John Henry...

How would I go about letting him know a signature is referred to as a "John Hancock", not a "John Henry" without making him feel like too much of an a**?

You could show him this:

JOHN HENRY/JOHN HANCOCK - "As every schoolboy knows, the biggest, boldest and most defiant signature on the Declaration of Independence was scrawled by John Hancock of Massachusetts. So completely did it overshadow the autographs of the other founding fathers that the term 'John Hancock' has become synonymous with 'signature' and each of us at the one time or another has spoken of 'putting his 'John Hancock' at the bottom of a document. In the West, a half century and more later, the phrase became altered to 'John Henry,' and nobody knows quite why. Suffice it that, in the words of Ramon Adams's excellent collection of cowboy jargon, 'Western Words': 'John Henry is what the cowboy calls his signature. He never signs a document, he puts his 'John Henry' to it!' Incidentally, there seems to be no connection between the John Henry of cowboy slang and the fabulous John Henry of railroad lore, who was so powerful that he could outdrive a steam drill with his hammer and steel, This legend has been traced to the drilling of the Chesapeake and Ohio Big Tunnel through West Virginia in the 1870s - substantially later than the first use of John Henry by cowpokes of the Old West." From "Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins" by William and Mary Morris (HarperCollins, New York, 1977, 1988).

It certainly doesn't make HIM look like an ***. ;)

Stoop Dawg
10/12/2006, 02:17 PM
fyi

bastard!

Osce0la
10/12/2006, 02:37 PM
Ahhh...so he thinks he's a cowboy...

That doesn't make me feel any better about this...

UNSeeN_
10/12/2006, 02:55 PM
Funny. I remember the "this guy" post u made about your boss. I was willing to let that slide, but now I realize he may be an idiot for sure.

Osce0la
10/12/2006, 02:58 PM
The "this guy" thing is about to drive me out of my mind...

proud gonzo
10/12/2006, 03:07 PM
a lot of people say "John Henry"

crawfish
10/12/2006, 03:14 PM
Next time he asks for your "John Henry"...

Slam the paper with a sledgehammer.

Osce0la
10/12/2006, 03:30 PM
Next time he asks for your "John Henry"...

Slam the paper with a sledgehammer.
Best idea in this thread :D

Osce0la
10/12/2006, 03:31 PM
Or I could just slam my hand down on the paper really hard and make train noises and see what he does...

GottaHavePride
10/12/2006, 03:34 PM
Or I could just slam my hand down on the paper really hard and make train noises and see what he does...

He'll just think you're Terry Tate.

Widescreen
10/12/2006, 03:39 PM
Maybe he thinks it's a joke. Kinda like "rocket surgery" (instead of "rocket science" or "brain surgery").

sanantoniosooner
10/12/2006, 04:24 PM
Maybe he thinks it's a joke. Kinda like "rocket surgery" (instead of "rocket science" or "brain surgery").
BWAHAHAHAHA
I like that one.

hee hee.

whew.

:O

MamaMia
10/12/2006, 04:32 PM
The next time he asks for your John Henry, you could draw a cowboy hat on the capital letter of your last name. :D

SoonerBBall
10/12/2006, 07:48 PM
Ask him if he means your "Herbie Hancock".