PDA

View Full Version : office 2007 thoughts

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2006, 12:17 PM
they forced us to upgrade to the 2007 release candidate (vista in 2 weeks :norm: )

sharepoint integration is beyond slick. this is probably the best part of the new application

new menu system (the ribbon) - some will like it, i don't. the file menu isn't intuitive, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to open a document without using ctrl-o.

graphics are cool.

excel allows you to freeze an unlimited number of panes. it has more than 65k rows. lots of good useable stuff there.

outlook is busy, busy, busy. at least stuff folds back, but they are trying to give you way too much information.

they didn't do a blasted thing with infopath which was the one tool that needed some updating :mad:

http://www.ouportal.com/sshot.jpg

NormanPride
10/12/2006, 12:24 PM
Ugh. My biggest pet peeve is workspace on the screen. I don't want my typing area cluttered up with a bunch of candy-like icons that do nothing for me at the moment. I would rather dig through a menu than deal with all the crap ALL the time. I'll make my own toolbar, thankyouverymuch.

Widescreen
10/12/2006, 12:27 PM
That UI looks kind of gay. But since MS is basically the only game in town, we'll all just take it.

hurricane'bone
10/12/2006, 02:24 PM
they forced us to upgrade to the 2007 release candidate (vista in 2 weeks :norm: )

sharepoint integration is beyond slick. this is probably the best part of the new application

new menu system (the ribbon) - some will like it, i don't. the file menu isn't intuitive, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to open a document without using ctrl-o.

graphics are cool.

excel allows you to freeze an unlimited number of panes. it has more than 65k rows. lots of good useable stuff there.

outlook is busy, busy, busy. at least stuff folds back, but they are trying to give you way too much information.

they didn't do a blasted thing with infopath which was the one tool that needed some updating :mad:

http://www.ouportal.com/sshot.jpg

So that's office for 2 year olds right?

Jesus that looks like ****.

yermom
10/12/2006, 04:19 PM
That UI looks kind of gay. But since MS is basically the only game in town, we'll all just take it.

there are other options... ;)

Cam
10/12/2006, 08:24 PM
We'll be waiting until March or April to upgrade to Vista. We may sell loaded computers, but we sure as hell don't provide them for our employees. It took us 4 months to convince Finance that we needed 1 gig of memory. We finally finished that upgrade last week. Now we'll need 2gig for Vista. Knowing our Finance guys, it may be more like a year before we "upgrade" to Vista.

yermom
10/12/2006, 09:40 PM
2GB?

dang...

GottaHavePride
10/12/2006, 09:47 PM
YEah, my computer is NOT Vista-ready

OklahomaTuba
10/12/2006, 09:49 PM
I spent the week in San Francisco attending DreamForce 2006, which is Salesforce.com's big user conference.

Anyways, some high level Google guys were there and during the keynote they seemed to allude to some pretty big stuff coming out in the next year or two to directly challenge MS. Like the google spreadsheet stuff, just more powerful.

Oh, and salesforce.com is a kick *** application.

Sooner_Bob
10/12/2006, 10:29 PM
We'll be waiting until March or April to upgrade to Vista. We may sell loaded computers, but we sure as hell don't provide them for our employees. It took us 4 months to convince Finance that we needed 1 gig of memory. We finally finished that upgrade last week. Now we'll need 2gig for Vista. Knowing our Finance guys, it may be more like a year before we "upgrade" to Vista.

2 Gigs of RAM for Vista? Whoa. I hadn't heard that.

MamaMia
10/12/2006, 11:40 PM
I was hoping this was on the wrong board and that you were at the office thinking about football. ;)

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2006, 11:42 PM
I've been using Office '07 since they issued the first beta.

I love it actually.
I can see why some hate the new interface, but it's more in line with the way I would design something.

sooner_born_1960
10/13/2006, 12:04 AM
there are other options... ;)
Preach it.

49r
10/13/2006, 12:28 PM
You can tell it to Minimize the ribbon. That's what I did and it made me much happier.

49r
10/13/2006, 12:29 PM
Oh, and PowerPoint got some sweet upgrades.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/13/2006, 12:40 PM
Oh, and salesforce.com is a kick *** application.

dude, stick with siebel or sap - they pay way better.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/13/2006, 12:42 PM
2GB?

dang...

try 4 GB if you use anything other than outlook...

Cam
10/14/2006, 09:45 AM
try 4 GB if you use anything other than outlook...
From what I'm hearing, 1gig is the MINIMUM if you're running Visata. As with any other MS OS, you need to at least double the minimum if you want to do anything but surf the net.

We're also got a couple proprietary apps that suck down the memory as well. Add that to our end users who absolutely have to have 40 windows open at once and they're in for a world of hurt.