PDA

View Full Version : Horse-pig exposed by the DO

Flagstaffsooner
10/12/2006, 10:19 AM
OU fan shows spirit

By Jesse Olivarez
The Oklahoman

As Erik Gransberg walked Monday among the lunchtime crowds lining the streets of Bricktown, few people paid him much notice.
In reality, nothing about the 25-year-old's appearance stood out. He was dressed casually in blue jeans and a crimson-colored University of Oklahoma pullover.
Few people in the crowd, if any, could guess they might have last seen Gransberg along the sidelines during an OU football game.
Gransberg is neither a player nor an assistant coach. He was the team's mascot.
During the 2005-06 school year, Gransberg donned the horse costume known to OU faithful as Sooner. That yearlong effort has paid off. Gransberg is now one of 12 people vying to win the Capital One 2006 Mascot Challenge.
For Gransberg, it's a dream come true.
"I'm just excited to be a part of this," Gransberg said. "It really is a big honor."
Gransberg and his competitors, who include the University of Wisconsin's Bucky Badger and Georgia Tech University's Buzz, among others, are competing for more than $10,000 in prize money that will be awarded to the winning school's mascot department.
For Lori Kemmet, the spirit coordinator for OU's athletic department, the money would be a windfall.
"We could really use the help," Kemmet said.
Gransberg said he was first approached to become the Sooner mascot in the summer of 2005. About two years before, the school's student council adopted a resolution calling for a new mascot to be created. After some thought, the council decided to create a mascot team -- Boomer and Sooner. The duo, who are named after the ponies that pull the Oklahoma Schooner at football games, were then charged with the task of firing up the fans at all University of Oklahoma athletic events.
The newly created mascots made their debut in September 2005. Kemmet said the first few games were rough.
"It was a mixed bag," she said. "Some fans absolutely hated Boomer and Sooner, but we noticed they started to have a small following by the end of the season. Especially among our younger fans."
She credited a good share of the quick turnaround to Gransberg's work.
"He was always working hard to be in the places where all the fans gather," she said. "He worked hard to become a visible part of our games."
For Gransberg, a Norman resident, it was only the latest of his attempts to support his favorite team. Before signing on to become Sooner, Gransberg served four years as an OU cheerleader. The tips he learned cheering along the sidelines helped prepare him for his future work as a mascot.
"I learned about the importance of being hydrated," he said. "I also learned what I could and shouldn't eat before a game."
Gransberg prepares for each game by consuming large amounts of water and nutrient-rich sports drinks. He also eats a light meal of tuna or chicken to help get him through. Despite these measures, Gransberg still sheds between 14 to 17 pounds a game, he said. The tough toll on his body is what concerns his mother most.
Gwen Gransberg, 51, fears that her son may injure himself doing his signature backflip at a game, but she keeps her fingers crossed.
"He never does anything half-heartedly," she said. "He likes to work hard as long as he can play hard."
Erik Gransberg, who graduated in May, recently passed the reins of the Sooner costume to another student. Just as he was about to settle down into his post-college career as a civil engineer for a firm in Oklahoma City, he auditioned and won the mascot jobs for the Oklahoma RedHawks, Oklahoma City Blazers and Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz.
Although he's sure he will enjoy his new jobs, he's certain that nothing will ever be quite like cheering for Sooner fans on Saturdays in the fall. "OU games are magical," he said. "You can't really describe it ... it's awesome." :pop:

Boomer.....
10/12/2006, 10:33 AM
I had some engineering classes with him. Pretty cool guy.

Octavian
10/12/2006, 10:35 AM
The newly created mascots made their debut in September 2005. Kemmet said the first few games were rough.

"It was a mixed bag," she said. "Some fans absolutely hated Boomer and Sooner, but we noticed they started to have a small following by the end of the season. Especially among our younger fans."

The only ones who even halfway like those embarrassments also watch Blues Clues.

Those things are a curse and we should retire them and move on.

Boomer.....
10/12/2006, 10:41 AM
OU fan shows spirit
Despite these measures, Gransberg still sheds between 14 to 17 pounds a game, he said.

:eek:

Setem, you listening.

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/12/2006, 11:04 AM
I'm sure he's a very nice young man. I'm sure that he works very hard at what he does.

They still need a good killin'.

william_brasky
10/12/2006, 11:08 AM
The newly created mascots made their debut in September 2005.

And our teams have been **** since. Coincidence?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/12/2006, 05:13 PM
Poor guy. Anyone wanna steal his costume?

1stTimeCaller
10/12/2006, 05:36 PM
his dad was the best professor I had at OU.

I heard that the Erik guy would do that backflip at the end of the day when he interned for a highway contractor.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/12/2006, 05:40 PM
I'm sure he's a very nice young man. I'm sure that he works very hard at what he does.

They still need a good killin'.

Gawd, you turn me on with that purty talk...

stoopified
10/12/2006, 06:16 PM
I still want to know what was wrong with TOP DAWG?At least he didn't look so lame.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/12/2006, 07:21 PM
Did Kirk Kickingbird(Little Red) have a son or nephews or such? The war dance was EXCELLENT!

Stitch Face
10/12/2006, 08:11 PM
Despite these measures, Gransberg still sheds between 14 to 17 pounds a game, he said.

Yeah, maybe if the game was three days long. On a desert island.

85Sooner
10/13/2006, 10:49 AM
I was the Bleacher Creature ( anyone remember that wierd costume?) several times for the 89ers back in 82-83.
Atleast he gets the fall weather. That costume was hot all throughout the summer.

Flagstaffsooner
10/13/2006, 10:58 AM
And our teams have been **** since. Coincidence?I think not.

DarrellZero
10/13/2006, 11:41 AM
Is this the guy that almost killed that poor cheerleader by running into her in mid-flip?

TexasLidig8r
10/13/2006, 02:18 PM
I don't why but everytime I read the words, "horse-pig" I just bust out laughin.

I am disappointed that one of the Fark Masters hasn't taken a pic or vid of the horse pig and have him being run over by a train or somethin.

Flagstaffsooner
10/13/2006, 02:45 PM
I don't why but everytime I read the words, "horse-pig" I just bust out laughin.

I am disappointed that one of the Fark Masters hasn't taken a pic or vid of the horse pig and have him being run over by a train or somethin.As bad as they are they are better than your cow-pig.

the_ouskull
10/13/2006, 04:19 PM
I created a shot called "the horse pig" in honor of how bad I hate those f'ing things... What kind of person that considers themself an OU fan would willingly don those things...? Honestly...?

The shot, is 3oz of Crown, 1oz of Coke, and 1oz of Sprite. I wanted it to hurt people as bad as seeing those "costumes" hurts me.

the_ouskull

SouthFortySooner
10/13/2006, 04:38 PM
A beautiful fall afternoon, the leaves were golden. A perfect day for football.
The grass was mown to perfection.... and then a horse pig runs out onto it... less than poetic dont'cha think? :mad:

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2006, 05:06 PM
cue back to 84 Orange Bowl...

OU gets a 15 yard penalty for crazed horse-pig running out on the field and dry humping the ref

yermom
10/13/2006, 05:13 PM
I created a shot called "the horse pig" in honor of how bad I hate those f'ing things... What kind of person that considers themself an OU fan would willingly don those things...? Honestly...?

The shot, is 3oz of Crown, 1oz of Coke, and 1oz of Sprite. I wanted it to hurt people as bad as seeing those "costumes" hurts me.

the_ouskull

[:dean:]way to gay up some Crown [/:dean:]

BigDeezy
10/13/2006, 07:33 PM
So, if I read this right, this guy is the former "Sooner" mascot, and he is the one competing in the mascot challenge, but neither of our current mascots are in the mascot challenge. Is that right?

TheHumanAlphabet
10/14/2006, 03:37 AM
I was the Bleacher Creature ( anyone remember that wierd costume?) several times for the 89ers back in 82-83.
Atleast he gets the fall weather. That costume was hot all throughout the summer.

Heh, I probably threw beer on you or screamed Eighty "Fing" Niners at you during college beer nights at "One" Sports stadium...;)

SoonerBorn68
10/14/2006, 09:19 AM
The horsepig is a joke. The only reason it was made was to compete in that stupid Capital One mascot challenge. I'd rather get rid of the curse early.

Boomer, Sooner, the Schooner, and Top Dawg are just fine. We have tradition--the horsepig just gays it up.