PDA

View Full Version : Don't pull McCoy now!!!

The Maestro
10/12/2006, 10:16 AM
http://www.newsok.com/sports/main/

I can't believe this is even a discussion! We are 3-2 and need miracles to even get into the BCS mix! Why would they think of pulling Gerald McCoy's redshirt at this point? Just let him keep getting better! I don't care if he is our best D-lineman by the end of the year...the year is lost as far as the big picture is concerned. Sure, we can still have a tremendous year, but what would pulling McCoy's redshirt after 5 games do? We won't play any teams as good as the two teams we've lost to the rest of the season.

I understood pulling Marcus Walker's redshirt back then cause we were in the title hunt. This year is different. Leave McCoy on ice and break him out as a stud from day one next season.

yermom
10/12/2006, 10:33 AM
ugh

Sooner in Tampa
10/12/2006, 10:35 AM
If he earns the chance to play...then he should. I would love for him to keep his redshirt, but if he is better than someone on the field...he deserves to play.

C&CDean
10/12/2006, 10:38 AM
The season isn't even half over yet. If we need McCoy (and it looks very much like we do), the coaches think he's ready, and he wants to play, then pull his shirt. Giving him 6-7 games this year would make him a hell of a lot better over the next 3 years.

ultimatesooner1
10/12/2006, 10:39 AM
the 85 scholarship limit causes lots of guys to play too early. I'm kinda torn on this one, get experience now or save him for next year. Whatever the coaches decide to do, I am happy with

yermom
10/12/2006, 10:40 AM
and if he's that good, he may leave early...

CtheB
10/12/2006, 10:44 AM
GK is not Tommie Harris, but I think you've got to think the same way about him. Assuming no injuries, GK is probably gone for the 2009 draft.

colleyvillesooner
10/12/2006, 10:44 AM
The season isn't even half over yet. If we need McCoy (and it looks very much like we do), the coaches think he's ready, and he wants to play, then pull his shirt. Giving him 6-7 games this year would make him a hell of a lot better over the next 3 years.

Ditto.

Fugue
10/12/2006, 10:47 AM
word, Miama is early next year right? Games under his belt makes the center of the line stronger right off the bat next year. Plus, crazy shat can still happen this year and if he can help now, he needs to play.

melbitoast
10/12/2006, 11:02 AM
what the heck is going on with Granger? he was the #1 DT recruit 2 years ago, and was just as heralded as McCoy. i see Pendleton and Bennett a lot, but is Granger really getting much playing time?

sooneron
10/12/2006, 11:19 AM
If he's better than what's out there, put him on the field. The experience will come in handy later.

Rhino
10/12/2006, 11:42 AM
what the heck is going on with Granger? he was the #1 DT recruit 2 years ago, and was just as heralded as McCoy. i see Pendleton and Bennett a lot, but is Granger really getting much playing time? Stoops said Granger played about 20 snaps on Saturday...so, yep.

TXBOOMER
10/12/2006, 08:09 PM
If he is good enough to play he should play. We are graduating a lot on D and need all the game experience we can get. Red Shirts don't help you like they used to with limited scholarships.

CrimsonChampion
10/12/2006, 08:24 PM
Even if he's good enough to play this year I just can't think of a reason to put him in the mix. Yes, it would help us defensivly and would make a factor for the rest of the season, BUT, OU is about championships and we need him around for awhile. If we can wait till next season he'll be that much more prepared, just a rs fresh, and we'd have a guy to anchor our D-Line for years to come. We will be in the title hunt next year, and a few years after that until we graduate guys and have to rebuild again. I think our D will be good enough to win out and contend for a nice bowl game this year, adding McCoy would help, but do we really wanna burn a year off his Sooner career knowing we are gonna need him in our national championship contending seasons to come?

I wanted the guy on the field against Texas and Oregan, it's all over, we lost, we need to get the best we can out of this season with the guys we have out there, THEN, think about complete Sooner DOMINANCE this coming offseason.

Sirus
10/12/2006, 08:58 PM
i thought this was gonna be a thread about that Colt kid.:D

MiccoMacey
10/12/2006, 09:19 PM
Even if he's good enough to play this year I just can't think of a reason to put him in the mix. Yes, it would help us defensivly and would make a factor for the rest of the season, BUT, OU is about championships and we need him around for awhile. If we can wait till next season he'll be that much more prepared, just a rs fresh, and we'd have a guy to anchor our D-Line for years to come. We will be in the title hunt next year, and a few years after that until we graduate guys and have to rebuild again. I think our D will be good enough to win out and contend for a nice bowl game this year, adding McCoy would help, but do we really wanna burn a year off his Sooner career knowing we are gonna need him in our national championship contending seasons to come?
I wanted the guy on the field against Texas and Oregan, it's all over, we lost, we need to get the best we can out of this season with the guys we have out there, THEN, think about complete Sooner DOMINANCE this coming offseason.

I don't know you so don't take this the wrong way, but I detest these types of attitudes.

1) The season is not over. We still have a lot to play for. Big Twelve and NCAA championships are pretty much obviously out, but if you're only a fan of OU football during the years we have a chance to win it all, go away. A 10-2 season is a pretty darn good season, and trying to circle the wagons now is like throwing in the towel. This attitude is why most people outside of Oklahoma call us spoiled. "We want it all, or we'll see you next year."

How about we finish the season and enjoy what comes out of it. I'm sure the players are more upset about losing two games than we are. I thought athletics and sports were here to teach us life experiences, to fight through adversity, to never quit even when things aren't going the way you want them to. But this attitude says it all: pack it in and try next year.

2) Do you really think that we can't replace the people we have now. 'Cause that's what you're saying when you say "hold him out this year so we can have a better team in 2009". When he goes, we'll find another stud who can play as well or better than he. To think otherwise is a defeatist mentality.

By your logic, in June you should have been calling for AD to redshirt this year and let Bomar and the OLine get another year under their belt so we could have a hell of a shot next year. I mean, since we're only about championships.

I say play him now (if the coaches and he agree he's ready). We will always recruit well. Not one person has been indespensible.

I'm not meaning to make this personal, but...damn...you hit on the two major things I hate about fans in this sport. So I apologize if this hits you wrong, or you think I'm attacking you specifically.

Texas Golfer
10/12/2006, 09:23 PM

I agree. The toughest part of the schedule is behind us. I think we can win out this year without him and get four full years out of him.

GottaHavePride
10/12/2006, 11:25 PM
If he's the best player available, get him on the field. If that means he's only around for 3 more years, that's what recruiting is for.

soonerhubs
10/12/2006, 11:29 PM
I'm all about getting him out there if he's ready. I would thrive on seeing our D-line Dominate the game like the Days of Tommie Harris and co.

WA. Sooner
10/13/2006, 02:19 AM
Never hold back. Always put the best you got on the field!

StoopTroup
10/13/2006, 05:30 AM
You owe it to your Seniors IMO.

The guys that stay 4 and 5 years and pOUr their hearts OUt for Sooner Football deserve to be supported by the best guys you have IMO.

Put the best you have out there each and every game.

Exception: If your Depth Chart is loaded...you don't burn the shirt.

It's not the case in this instance IMO.

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
10/13/2006, 09:42 AM
I agree. The toughest part of the schedule is behind us. I think we can win out this year without him and get four full years out of him.

He redshirts this year, plays his r-freshman year, and plays his soph year, then he might enter the draft. This kid was a freak in HS, if he turns in those performances in College he will be highly osught after so our chances of having him any longer than 3 years might go bye-bye.

colleyvillesooner
10/13/2006, 10:02 AM
Can we wait until he plays a down in a game before we say he's leaving early? If he was SO dominant, he'd be on the field, like Tommie was.

Desert Sapper
10/13/2006, 10:19 AM
He redshirts this year, plays his r-freshman year, and plays his soph year, then he might enter the draft. This kid was a freak in HS, if he turns in those performances in College he will be highly osught after so our chances of having him any longer than 3 years might go bye-bye.

I agree fully. Three years out of HS is the rule, not three years on the field. Whether he burns his RS and plays as a true Frosh, Soph, and Junior, or he RS this year and plays as a RS Frosh and Soph, we lose him after three. It is better to get 3 years out of him than two before he heads to the No Fun League. If he performs on the field, it might just get those other DTs to start playing better. It sounded to me like the only thing keeping him off the field this year was the experience of the guys ahead of him. Stoops, Venables, and Shipp have all been high on this guy since he got on campus. Whatever needs to happen to get the D-Line to actually play TACKLE football is key. Last week looked better, but eh. This is OU football. D-Line is something we've prided OUrselves on in the past. This year has been a terrible exception. With as many dudes as we had coming back at DE, this should have been a banner D-Line year. Something needs to happen right now. It should have happened about 5 weeks ago, IMO.

Blues1
10/13/2006, 10:26 AM
If the Young Man is ready to play ..?? - If the coaches think he can Help -??
Then put on your chin strap and knock someone down,,,,!!!

Rock on

birddog
10/13/2006, 10:30 AM
i'm sorry bob cob but i agree with playing him if he's ready. if we can win out and finish 10-2 we'll be in good shape for signing day. it's a win now mentality and bob's always been that way.

OklahomaRed
10/13/2006, 10:41 AM
Put your best players on the field. We need to go 10-2, win our bowl game, and then come back out next year ready to go. JMO.

Sooners through thick and thin !

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/13/2006, 10:47 AM
i'm sorry bob cob but i agree with playing him if he's ready. if we can win out and finish 10-2 we'll be in good shape for signing day. it's a win now mentality and bob's always been that way.

The early spin I had heard was the McCoy didn't play because he wasn't ready. I doubt he has done much in the last few weeks to be more ready. I think the coaches all along thought he was good enough to play but thought that we didn't need help at DT. I really though DT was so good and deep that we didn't need him this year. Overall they have been OK, but not having someone like Dvoracek has shown.

If this week week 8 or 9 then burning a RS wouldn't make much sense. Still a lot of season now and if he turns out to be as good as we think he is he probably won't be here 4 years anyway.

Also just because we aren't playing for a NC this year does not mean the season is over.

The Maestro
10/13/2006, 10:59 AM
Can we wait until he plays a down in a game before we say he's leaving early? If he was SO dominant, he'd be on the field, like Tommie was.

Exactly! How many players have ever redshirted their freshman year because they weren't ready and then skipped out after their sophomore year of eligibility because they were NFL ready? That doesn't happen.

I don't want people to think that I feel like this year is over. The BCS mix is over really due more in part to where we stand in the rankings right now and the lack of great competition on our schedule the rest of the way. But I guarantee that if we go 11-2 I will call this a great season based on the adversity we faced before it even started in August. I'm not giving up...I'm excited about the next two weeks of scrimmages and I hope like heck that Missouri is still unbeaten when we go up there and remind them that their program has a long way to go.

As well, until Stoops wins in dominating fashion in college station or stillwater I will consider those tough games, but one's where our boys can get great wins for the program. We owe Tech from last year so I remain very excited about what lies ahead.

I guess I am just thinking about this from the McCoy family standpoint. I wouldn't want to have my son miss out the oregon and texas game and then get on the field. I just don't understand how you could be NOT ready for those games and all of the sudden ready after them. That's very "Mack Brown with Cedric Benson" if you ask me. Besides, what kind of impact is he going to have? Maybe 6 to 10 plays a game? If I were McCoy or his father my personal opinion would be to just wait and come out of the gate like a bull next season. Not cause this season is in the tank or over, but because I have already missed out on five games, including the two marquee games of the year.

C&CDean
10/13/2006, 11:31 AM
I've got a kid who plays football. I wanna see him on the field. And I don't care who they're playing. If his family is in it strictly for the NFL prize at the end of the rainbow, then his family is ****ed up.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/13/2006, 11:38 AM

well, he did have the fact that we only had 4 DTs on campus going for him. i think one of the things jacked up about recruiting rankings is kids who are 5*'s have a much much higher probability of declaring for the NFL early whether they are ready or not.

Tear Down This Wall
10/13/2006, 11:47 AM
Listen, Tommie Harris played as a freshman, Derrick Strait, Michael Thompson, Rocky Calmus, Roy Williams, etc. If the guy can keep opposing OLs off the linebackers so Rufus and Latimer can finally make some plays then do it.

I wouldn't even jack around with Pendelton and Bennett anymore. I'd stick Granger and McCoy in there and rotate in the other 300+ pounder Coleman. We are getting absolutely crushed in the middle. Linemen are walking over Pendleton and Bennett and moving on down to take Rufus and Latimer out of plays.

I swear I don't know what happened to Stoops' old mindset of getting the best guys on the field, but it's been missing for too long. They need to demolish Iowa State and Colorado. I mean destroy them. None of this 10-7 crap at halftime, or tied at halftime and after the third quarter.

Get out there and play four quarters of ball with your best players and where they belong! That means not only putting big guys in the middle, but moving Reggie Smith back to corner, pick one of the other four or five safeties on the squad to actually play safety, put Juaquin Iglesias back on kickoffs with Reggie Smith, and quit f'n around!

They're trying to overthink the whole thing. It's sickening.

ADs_Agent
10/13/2006, 12:16 PM
let the man play, the coaches know more then us lurkers.

JohnnyMack
10/13/2006, 12:21 PM
Can he play the nickel instead of Nic Harris?

Maybe?

soonerinabilene
10/13/2006, 12:25 PM
if he is ready, stoops will pull it. if he doesnt put him in, that tells me stoops doesnt think he is ready.

TexasLidig8r
10/13/2006, 01:14 PM
This is why you need someone to play inside...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2oewFesLys

Octavian
10/13/2006, 01:36 PM

sweet.

it's good to have someone here like you who can copy and paste a vid link to point out what we've all recognized for over a month.

FlatheadSooner
10/13/2006, 01:36 PM
I would have really liked to see some G.McCoy on c.McCoy.

:cool:

The Maestro
10/13/2006, 01:49 PM
I've got a kid who plays football. I wanna see him on the field. And I don't care who they're playing. If his family is in it strictly for the NFL prize at the end of the rainbow, then his family is ****ed up.

So let's say he's not a future NFL star. Then that means he only has about 50 games of college football where he can ride out his career. He's missed out on 5 of those, but would still have all of them if he just goes ahead and waits until next year.

It's all an opinion issue. If he wants to play and Stoops thinks he's ready, he'll play. I'm just saying if it were me and my kid and I had the opportunity to play in four OU-texas games and I didn't even get to see the field in one of those I would prefer to wait and get a crack at all four.

Blues1
10/13/2006, 01:57 PM
There is No Future -- The Future is Now....!!!! ---- :eek:

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2006, 02:04 PM
Look at Curtis Lofton...He is in his soph year and is has played mostly on special teams...would have been nice to shirt him...

The thing is if McCoy looked like a difference maker in practice, he would be on the field already

TexasLidig8r
10/13/2006, 02:17 PM
sweet.

it's good to have someone here like you who can copy and paste a vid link to point out what we've all recognized for over a month.

You're welcome. I'm just trying to add to my esteemed reputation as just another ray of sunshine meant to brighten and enlighten your day. :D

The Maestro
10/13/2006, 02:21 PM
Hopefully we can keep ISU under 250 yards as well...without turnovers, stupid penalties and very questionable calls.

Tear Down This Wall
10/13/2006, 04:18 PM

Wow. Just look at Bennett getting pushed backward and out of the way. Those Texas OLs who got shut out by us in 2004 must be thinking they're playing the game on a different planet now.

Pathetic. Very, very Pathetic.

Surely opposing linemen wouldn't basically push McCoy and Granger backwards 10 yards. I mean, if Bob sticks them in there and they do, fine. At least it's freshmen being pushed around and not juniors.

What a joke.