PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Morning News Rips OU Players

fwsooner22
10/12/2006, 07:57 AM
Sooners' star power missing

The players whom the Sooners were counting on most to pack a punch have not delivered

11:20 PM CDT on Wednesday, October 11, 2006

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

NORMAN, Okla. – Last week's loss to Texas highlighted one of Oklahoma's biggest problems through the first five games. Some of the Sooners' best players have underperformed.

For any team to be successful, experienced players have to make big plays and provide an intangible spark. Some of OU's veterans simply have not done that, especially those on defense.

And coach Bob Stoops can't figure out why.

"We're doing a lot of things that we've done here traditionally for eight years," he said, "and we haven't been able to come up with that big play, whether it be a deflection for an interception, a sack that rips the ball out, whatever. We've just got to keep pushing for that kind of play."

Stoops usually doesn't call out players in public. Yet there are clues that indicate a growing level of frustration inside the Barry Switzer Center.

Rufus Alexander

The linebacker had five sacks last year, 17 tackles for loss and plenty of big hits. In August, he was a preseason All-American and a named to multiple award watch lists. His reputation warranted such recognition.

"Prior to this year, you're saying," defensive coordinator Brent Venables said.

Alexander leads OU in tackles (41) and has one sack, but the senior hasn't been the game-changing force he was before.

"We set the bar high here," Alexander said. "Guys are pushing too hard to make all the great plays. You've just got to relax, starting playing and let loose."

Larry Birdine

The defensive end hasn't been the same since a torn biceps injury forced him to sit out most of the 2005 season. He was primarily a third-down rush end in 2003 and 2004 and had 11 sacks. He's got one this year as a starter.

After making only one tackle against UT, Birdine said, "I was a nonfactor in the second half."

"At this time, I figured I'd be amongst the leaders in tackles and sacks at my position," said Birdine who has 15 tackles and one sack. "So far through the year, I feel like I've just been average. Just a regular player."

C.J. Ah You and Calvin Thibodeaux

Ah You was the Big 12's defensive newcomer of the year last season and the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl defensive MVP. Thibodeaux had 10 sacks and 17 tackles for losses playing on the opposite side. They were an impressive tandem of defensive ends.

Neither has made an impact this year. Ah You batted down Colt McCoy's first pass attempt Saturday at the Cotton Bowl. He also drove McCoy into the ground in the second half – after the UT quarterback had thrown a 7-yard touchdown pass. Thibodeaux had a team-high three tackles for losses against UT.

"At times, we put it together," Thibodeaux said, "but we weren't consistent throughout the whole game."

Duke Robinson and Brandon Walker

The offensive line has been solid all season. But coaches are so agitated with false starts by the guards that they're threatening personnel changes. Robinson has five illegal-procedure penalties, a team high, and Walker has three.

The sophomores could be multiyear starters, but both must sharpen their focus, offensive line coach James Patton said.

"Their effort has been outstanding," Patton said, "but nothing matters if they can't get off on the right count."

Adrian Peterson and Paul Thompson

Even though they've played well, Peterson and Thompson said they can improve.

Peterson, a junior running back, tripped over the senior quarterback's foot on third-and-2 from the UT 15 when an easy first down was in sight. Stoops also said Thompson had "every opportunity" to throw the ball away once instead of taking a sack.

"Guys have to take a look in the mirror and see what you can do to make this one of the best teams," Peterson said.

E-mail [email protected]

SoonerInKCMO
10/12/2006, 08:03 AM
Sounds more like the DMN is reporting on the players and coaches ripping on themselves.

OUDoc
10/12/2006, 08:03 AM
Sounds fair to me.

achiro
10/12/2006, 08:15 AM
Sounds fair to me.
I agree

Partial Qualifier
10/12/2006, 08:24 AM
"Guys are pushing too hard to make all the great plays. You've just got to relax, starting playing and let loose."

Eww. It's hard to get past that kind of funk. We're short on great players players right now, I think it really is that simple.

BIG_IKE
10/12/2006, 08:37 AM
Sounds more like the DMN is reporting on the players and coaches ripping on themselves.
I was just about to say that..
sounds like some self reflection that just happens to be printed by the DMN..
You can fault the Dallas Morning News for reporting what Sooners say about Sooners. I think it says alot about the players character to acknowledge their shortcomings....

That being said...NOW DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!:mad:

fwsooner22
10/12/2006, 08:40 AM
What you guys don't see here are the related pictures.........fumbles....missed tackles.......It is over a half a page and it is not flattering.........This is not the kind of stuff we need floating around Texas............Its time to kick someones a%% and put some of this crap to rest..........We can't go 11-7 or so over the next 20 games...........It has to stop...............

tbl
10/12/2006, 08:49 AM
HAS to stop...

OklahomaRed
10/12/2006, 08:58 AM
Mojo rests on a couple of key plays. Missed passes early, missed tackles, fumbles, play calling, completed passed on your secondary, and then the referees jump in on the fun. O.U. has to put all this to rest and get back to winning. Attitude is 50% of the game. All this bashing from other players, the coaches, and the fans has to stop. Someone on the team has to step up and be a leader. Stoops is paid to be the leader, and he has his work cut out for him. Someone on the team has to step up and be a leader. I think the Bomar deal is effecting the team more than we think.

Sooners through thick and thin !

LiteCOL
10/12/2006, 08:59 AM
What you guys don't see here are the related pictures.........fumbles....missed tackles.......It is over a half a page and it is not flattering.........This is not the kind of stuff we need floating around Texas............Its time to kick someones a%% and put some of this crap to rest..........We can't go 11-7 or so over the next 20 games...........It has to stop...............

Can't be worse than the crap the Sunday Oklahoman had last week, and that's "our" paper.

TopDawg
10/12/2006, 09:01 AM
This all stems from not having a dominant force at DT. That's the main ingredient we're missing. A dominant DT frees up the DEs and keeps opposing offensive linemen off the linebackers. Last year we had it, this year we don't.

C&CDean
10/12/2006, 09:02 AM
If you call that "ripping" then you've lived a very sheltered life.

stoopified
10/12/2006, 09:24 AM
I would REALLY be ****ed off if the article wasn't so accurate.

Tear Down This Wall
10/12/2006, 09:49 AM

Absolutely. I'm the first to criticize the DMN, but this guy simply took what OU players said about themselves and printed it. So, criticize OU players for ripping themselves if you must criticize anyone for recognizing the truth. Or, at least, be thankful they realize there is a problem.

Think about the fake Roy Williams and his old "They're not better than us, they're just not!" tantrums. At least our players admit they bear some blame in the 3-2 start. Admitting you've got a problem is the first step.

The next step is to pummel Iowa State and Colorado back-to-back like in the days of yore....

picasso
10/12/2006, 10:11 AM
This all stems from not having a dominant force at DT. That's the main ingredient we're missing. A dominant DT frees up the DEs and keeps opposing offensive linemen off the linebackers. Last year we had it, this year we don't.
we don't have linebackers shooting the gaps and making big plays either.

fwsooner, I agree with you but we also saw it live on the field.:mad:

TUSooner
10/12/2006, 10:20 AM
I would REALLY be ****ed off if the article wasn't so accurate.
Actually, I'm more pi$zed off BECAUSE it IS accurate. :(

MiccoMacey
10/12/2006, 10:33 AM
What we have on defense:

One shutdown corner in Marcus Walker.

One stud at FS in Reggie Smith.

A slew of people who have played at a high level before, but are not getting it done this year in Birdine, Ah You, Thibs and Alexander.

What we don't have on defense:

A DT playing like they want to play for OU.

That "one guy" who could be counted on to shore up our defense.

Widescreen
10/12/2006, 11:54 AM
What's up with Mccoy? He had tons of hype. Where's the production? Is he not big enough or something?

fwsooner22
10/12/2006, 01:18 PM

If I would have written "DMN and OU" most people would not even bother to read it.

"Sheltered Life" HAHAHAHA.............I bring an article to the table and the mod gets personal..........we must have lost to UT..........

Scott D
10/12/2006, 01:45 PM
This guy is a pretty decent writer. He had a good article on Jammal Brown a couple of years ago. If you are offended by this, you probably had your candy stolen from you in pre-school too.

PalmBeachSooner
10/12/2006, 01:53 PM
Not that they couldn't use a good ripping but there was nothing malicious about the article. I think they painted the picture exactly as it is.

fwsooner22
10/12/2006, 02:04 PM
Idioits.............Its the Dallas Morning News.........we don't need them interviewing our players and getting them to criticize each other..........do none of you get this...........IT STINKS.........people read this crap and think "sinking ship"..............You must have all been the ones sitting around me at the Cotton Bowl with your hands under your butts just taking it like a stepchild.

No I didn't get my candy stolen and no I did lead a sheltered life.......I think I smell a paper getting players to turn on each other..........It would not be the first time.........

C&CDean
10/12/2006, 02:10 PM
Idioits.............Its the Dallas Morning News.........we don't need them interviewing our players and getting them to criticize each other..........do none of you get this...........IT STINKS.........people read this crap and think "sinking ship"..............You must have all been the ones sitting around me at the Cotton Bowl with your hands under your butts just taking it like a stepchild.

No I didn't get my candy stolen and no I did lead a sheltered life.......I think I smell a paper getting players to turn on each other..........It would not be the first time.........

1. Did you just call me an "idioit?"

2. Nobody gives a **** about the DMN.

3. People who matter read the DMN and think "sinking ship?" Um, ok.

4. What were you doing at the Cotton Bowl? Screaming obscenties at Stoops? Cussing the players? And in reality, how do you take an *** beating?

5. Conspiracy theory much?

6. Get over it.

Scott D
10/12/2006, 02:15 PM

wow...tinfoil hat much?

GrapevineSooner
10/12/2006, 02:41 PM
It's the autorantic Sooner fan. ;)

jk the sooner fan
10/12/2006, 02:54 PM
stupidity.....

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/12/2006, 02:59 PM
fwsooner22 = NickZeppelin!

soonerboy_odanorth
10/12/2006, 06:00 PM
1) Entirely accurate article and I've got -0- problem with it.

2) There is only one mental block this team needs to get over...they are NOT going to catch a break from the officials or the opposing team EVAR. If they want it, they have to go and TAKE it! No one is going to give it to them. You want a turnover? Quit waiting for the mistake... make them make a mistake. You want a call to go your way? Go for longer stretches without mental lapses than the other team does. Developing that mental toughness is all this team lacks. And there is one guy that this ultimately boils down to: Bob.

So we either believe that he will do it, or allow that even Bob could have an off year coaching.

Your answer, ladies and gents, will be on the road at Mizzou.

Stitch Face
10/12/2006, 06:19 PM
What you guys don't see here are the related pictures.........fumbles....missed tackles.......It is over a half a page and it is not flattering.........

If I remember right some of that stuff did, indeed, happen at the game, so the pictures may represent actual facts.

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2006, 06:21 PM
Agreed, they are just telling the truth; i see nothing wrong with that article

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/12/2006, 06:33 PM
Agreed, they are just gleefully broadcasting the truth; I see nothing wrong with that article, especially coming from that Sooner-loving Dallas print media.fixd

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/12/2006, 06:57 PM
Nancy Pelosi will ALSO fix the defense if we elect her!!

10/12/2006, 07:04 PM
Nancy Pelosi will ALSO fix the defense if we elect her!!She will play the game WITHOUT a defense. (Her team will be purely offensive, and will stick with the old, worn out game plan)

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/12/2006, 07:13 PM
Bull**** William!!! Nancy already promised to lower Middle class taxes, lower gas prices, destroy unemployment, get all of Al Qaeda surrender, save all page's sphincters, and get to the bottom of that Tv show Lost!!! Fixing OU's defense would be no problem!!

10/12/2006, 07:18 PM
Bull**** William!!! Nancy already promised to lower Middle class taxes, lower gas prices, destroy unemployment, get all of Al Qaeda surrender, save all page's sphincters, and get to the bottom of that Tv show Lost!!! Fixing OU's defense would be no problem!!Then I MUST vote for her!

Cam
10/12/2006, 07:51 PM
1) Entirely accurate article and I've got -0- problem with it.

2) There is only one mental block this team needs to get over...they are NOT going to catch a break from the officials or the opposing team EVAR. If they want it, they have to go and TAKE it! No one is going to give it to them. You want a turnover? Quit waiting for the mistake... make them make a mistake. You want a call to go your way? Go for longer stretches without mental lapses than the other team does. Developing that mental toughness is all this team lacks. And there is one guy that this ultimately boils down to: Bob.

So we either believe that he will do it, or allow that even Bob could have an off year coaching.

Your answer, ladies and gents, will be on the road at Mizzou.
100% spot on.

Texas Golfer
10/12/2006, 09:44 PM
While I'm not a big fan of the DMN, I can't say they're not on the mark with this article.

SoonerBorn68
10/12/2006, 09:50 PM
Sometimes the truth hurts.

Let's play some ball boys--we still got 7 games to win.

SoonerRoads
10/12/2006, 11:01 PM
There has been a great deal of speculation about what the heck is happening and just as many theories. I know everyone is frustrated and a little bewildered by OU's performance(or the lack thereof) so far this year. We can try to blame it on the Ref's(and granted, it isn't as if we have been getting the benefit of the doubt from the zebra's). It seems to me that our team lacks focus and poise. Mental errors like "illegal procedure" and fundamental errors like not holding onto the ball, all come from coaching. I am, and have been and will continue to be, a huge Bob Stoops fan. But a head coach is only as good as his assistant coaches. They can make a head coach look like a genius, or the leader of the Keystone Cops performing a chinese fire drill. At this point, I think our team is somewhere in between and at a real crossroads.

I don't have insider knowledge as to what is really happening in Norman, but I wish I did as I am just as frustrated as everyone else. A defense that we all thought was going to be our strong suit has turned out to be probably the biggest disappointment and I just can't believe that these players that performed very well last year, suddenly don't have it within them to perform this year. I have to wonder if it isn't the defensive scheme that we are employing and I also have to wonder why we can't seem to properly evaluate and coach the talent we have so as to be able to get a set line-up in the secondary? Is the answer....coaching? I know we lost some key players at key positions and that we don't seem to have a dominate interior defensive lineman this year. But at the beginning of the season, the talk all over the country was that we might actually have the four best defensive ends in the entire country right there in Norman. These are the same players at DE that were there last year, so what is the difference this year? Subtle changes in our defensive philosophy or scheme? It all comes back to coaching. And mind you, this is half my opinion and half me wondering out loud because I don't have the answer.

For the rest of the year, all we can do is support the boys and be loyal fans and I suspect that this is going to all shake out. I donlt think that Coach Stoops will put up with this kind of peformance much longer and while he may be loyal to his coaches, he is also accustomed to winning and I think will make whatever changes are necessary to make that happen. I am glad our guys realize their shortcomings, even if they were profiled in the DMN, but now I just want to see them do something about that.

Hang in there guys and gals. The sun will come up tomorrow and we will all be happy Sooner fans again. Buckle up, the ride isn't over yet.
Boomer Sooner!

UNSeeN_
10/13/2006, 08:56 PM
I thought the article was fair. We haven't really lived up to the pre-season expectations this year. I do think Rufus is still doing well on defense, but aside from him...our defense is very inconsistent. AD would be doing better if the O-line was doing better. When Thompson is hot, he great. When he's not, great googly moogly. I feel like we have the talent this year, but what happens to the O after Peterson leaves? More rebuilding! Sorry, just got into ramble mode for a min...

mightysooner
10/14/2006, 12:06 AM
Article seems fair and on point to me. Maybe we should get better?