PDA

View Full Version : Favorite OU-ISU memories!!!

The Maestro
10/11/2006, 11:26 PM
Good Lord, this board needs a new topic!

Ah, hell...I remember hangin' half a hundred on them on an annual basis during the Switzer era, except for a tie in 1981 when Donnie Duncan and Dwayne Crutchfield provided enough in a 7-7 tie...OU still almost won the game on a deflected pass that barely missed Buster Rhymes hands. Yes, I was there.

I remember one of the first ESPN night games...in Ames, actually...where Switzer and Sooners struggled but won.

1990...uugggh...QB draw...a kick to the nerts!

I remember a few years ago when Mr. Wonderful was supposed to come into Norman and cause problems. Did our starters play in the second half?

Okay...I confess. There are not many great OU-ISU memories. But it's who we play THIS week...instead of LAST week!

tbl
10/11/2006, 11:32 PM
I remember a few years ago when Mr. Wonderful was supposed to come into Norman and cause problems. Did our starters play in the second half?

That was my wifes first and only Sooner game. It was cold, wet, and miserable weather, but I was loving the game. Good times...

Wishboned
10/11/2006, 11:37 PM
My very first OU game was against Iowa State in 79.

Billy Sims ran wild and it was 38-7 by the end of the game.

picasso
10/12/2006, 12:19 AM
I remember the time Jamelle was eating hotdogs on the sidelines in the 2nd half.

I remember that one year in high school ISU let me play safety a little early in the 4th quarter (instreet clothes outta da stands). I begged for a chance to return a punt but alas we were unable to stop OU's 4th string.

I too recall the QB draw game.:mad:

I also remember that time Switzer was coaching for Dallas and compared the Bengals to Iowa State.

yermom
10/12/2006, 12:25 AM
remember the Heisman guy there for Seneca Wallace in '02?

we got lotsa rain that year... about half the home games were wet

Soonerus
10/12/2006, 12:25 AM
Trying to remember your favorite OU/ISU memories is like trying to remember your favorite memories of your neighbor's dog, three houses down...there just aren't that many...

sooner518
10/12/2006, 12:40 AM
i was at the game when ISU beat us in Norman. They ran a fake punt and were able to run out the clock because of it.

Fraggle145
10/12/2006, 01:12 AM
remember the Heisman guy there for Seneca Wallace in '02?

we got lotsa rain that year... about half the home games were wet

HAHAHAHA! ya I remember that... this was one of my fondest sooner memories. There were these two ISU fans in football pads and helmet (freezing their balls off) it was friggin cold that year... They were spray painted gold!! They were telling us how bad we were gonna lose and how Seneca was gonna win the heisman. All while attempting to bum beers from us!We of course were talkin some good smack with the help of some chili, some beers from texas, and a little Jager and whiskey for the cold.... Well needless to say we embarassed them... I just always wondered how much of a jack *** that guy felt like around half time... good times.

:pop:

Spanish Sooner
10/12/2006, 01:22 AM
My least favorite ISU moment is an effect of my favorite ISU moment. My favorite ISU moment was when we killed them in 02 when seneca was making his heisman case(which he lost thanks to us), anyways I loved what i saw of the game, however, since I was watching at home, and because we were killing them so bad, ABC decided to pull the game and instead air the second half of the tOSU-Wisconsin game, now I, my brother, and my dad were ****ed. We didn't care that we were embarrasing ISU, we wanted to watch the game

Jimminy Crimson
10/12/2006, 01:54 AM
Mark Bradley played Seneca on the scout team and we totally pwned the Clones. Fast forward one year and Mark Bradley pwns the Clones in Ames.

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2006, 05:54 AM
Series record is 65-5-2.
We have outscored ISU 2179-632 an average score of 30.2633-8.7778
The last time ISU beat OU was 1990 (we lost 33-31) Before then the last time we lost to ISU was 1961 (we lost 21-15)

How many memories can there actually be?

Partial Qualifier
10/12/2006, 06:51 AM
How many memories can there actually be?

1) The 1990 QB draw game ....ugh! wtf!

2) In Ames one year, I remember Jerald Moore breaking a long one with one DB to beat for a long TD.. the guy's coming up from across the field and Jerald lowered his shoulder.. CRACK! dude crumpled like a paper bag and Jerald went on to score. Maybe the hardest hit i've ever seen a RB lay on a DB.

3) pwning Seneca

that pretty much sums it up for me.

tbl
10/12/2006, 08:57 AM
65-5-2???? Yowza!!!!!

batonrougesooner
10/12/2006, 09:00 AM
Mark Bradley played Seneca on the scout team and we totally pwned the Clones. Fast forward one year and Mark Bradley pwns the Clones in Ames.

I remember that game. Cool and wet.

How I long now for such a defense.

SoonerStormchaser
10/12/2006, 09:05 AM
I loved the 2002 beatdown (ISU nor Seneca Wallace ever recovered from that 49-3 woodshed beating)...the first freaking score. They high snapped the ball to the punter...he picked it up and promptly got the punt blocked into the endzone...he runs and tries to kick it out of the back of the endzone but totally whiffs on the kick...Wes Sims recovers it for a TD.

...and the rout was on...

stoopified
10/12/2006, 10:04 AM
I don't really have any FAVORITE memories of ISU because they are like osu,I expect to beat them and the only time they create memories is with upsets or near misses.However I do have two VIVID flashbacks to ISU games.The first is when they beat Gibbs with a slow-footed QB who ran about 6 draw plays for over 100 yards to beat us 33-31.

.The most memorable part actually was after the final gun.The ISU fans,players and coaches were celebrating and going nuts(Who could blame them,first win over OU in Norman since Noah landed the ARK).An old man (at least in his 60's stood on his seat in the south endzone,extended both hands flying the double bird and shouted" F*ck you "at the ISU celebrants.I just about died laughing,it suddenly put things in perspective for me and broke my foul mood.

The second recollection I have is during the Boo days.We were losing to ISU and in dusgust i started leaving with about 2 minutes left.As I rounde the ramp on my way downI stopped to watch the video-screen and saw Ahmed Kabba(I think) make a great catch which helped the boys pull a last second victory from the jaws of defeat.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/12/2006, 10:20 AM
I remember we struggled with them a couple of times in the '80s because we always played them the week after texass. I think that's when Switzer coined the phrase 'Texas hangover.'

The Maestro
10/12/2006, 10:23 AM
I remember we struggled with them a couple of times in the '80s because we always played them the week after texass. I think that's when Switzer coined the phrase 'Texas hangover.'

YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR!!!

CtheB
10/12/2006, 10:55 AM
I'd say I have two:

1.) 2002 game---The sound you heard was Seneca Wallace's Heisman hopes shattering on the Owen Field grass. 7 yards offense in the first half.

2.) When ISU brought their old McDonald's corporate uniforms into Norman where the seniors had red helmets and the rest of the team wore yellow. Ridiculous.

Hon Mention: TBS broadcast from 2003 where JW threw for 300+, and the defense made the country's least notable OB turned WR (Austin Flynn) look like a kitten amongst the wolves.

sooneron
10/12/2006, 11:44 AM
Gawd! That 02 game was wet. I think I finally dried off from that one about a year ago!
02 Colorado game was drenched
I think the UTEP or So Fla game were poured on vehemently. I remember them calling time for the storm to pass.

Taxman71
10/12/2006, 11:59 AM
My very first OU game was against Iowa State in 79.

Billy Sims ran wild and it was 38-7 by the end of the game.

Same here. I sat in the old green bleachers in the south endzone trying to figure out why some Clones wore yellow helmets and some wore red.

OUstud
10/12/2006, 02:44 PM
That Boo game in 1998 was a good one. My dad took me and 3 of my friends and I remember it was Halloween...and it completely sucked until the end, it was either Sills or Reese who scored the winning TD.

The Maestro
10/12/2006, 02:53 PM
Ooh! I just thought of another one!

How about the 43-40 win at Iowa State in the Gibbs era? Maybe it was the first year in 1989. ISU was coming back late and tried an onside kick that Eric Bross, I believe, returned for a touchdown when it bounced right up to him.

C&CDean
10/12/2006, 02:58 PM
Mrs. C&CDean and Dan Cody's mom at ISU tailgate.

http://www.soonerfans.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Sooner_Football/2003/Iowa_State_Tailgate_and_Trip_Photos_10-4-03&image=t031004-16.JPG&img=&tt=img

Me and Dan Cody's mom and dad. He's about 8 freaking feet tall.

http://www.soonerfans.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Sooner_Football/2003/Iowa_State_Tailgate_and_Trip_Photos_10-4-03&image=t031004-18.JPG&img=8&tt=img

Dean and the lovely Mrs. C&CDean

http://www.soonerfans.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Sooner_Football/2003/Iowa_State_Tailgate_and_Trip_Photos_10-4-03&image=t031004-29.JPG&img=16&tt=img

Phil and his beautiful Aggie Bride

http://www.soonerfans.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Sooner_Football/2003/Iowa_State_Tailgate_and_Trip_Photos_10-4-03&image=t031004-36.JPG&img=24&tt=img

ISU pimptastic pimpatronic pimpmopimp

http://www.soonerfans.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Sooner_Football/2003/Iowa_State_Tailgate_and_Trip_Photos_10-4-03&image=t031004-34.JPG&img=24&tt=img

OklahomaRed
10/12/2006, 03:16 PM
I think it was the 1973 game. Favorite, because it was my first O.U. game to attend in person. I don't even remember how we got tickets, but we ended up setting in the student section, which was even better for a 13 year old kid. I remember watching the Selmon brothers (actually just LeRoy and Dewey), Rod Shoate (what a stud), and Tinker Owens. Great game. O.U. won 34-17. Good first game. :)

Tear Down This Wall
10/12/2006, 03:23 PM
Easily 1998...Jake Sills to Gerald Williams for the game-winning TD with about 1:30 left in the game.

That was the game where Gana Joseph got an unportsmanlike penatly before the game for jawing back and forth during the coin toss with fellow Miami, Fla. native Darren Davis, an ISU player at the time.

I remember thinking, "Sheesh, they haven't even tossed the coin yet and we're back 15 yards!"

SeattleRUF/NEK
10/12/2006, 03:53 PM
My favorite OU-ISU memory is seeing a nice pair of hooters as a result of a game of strip flippy cup when I was up there as a freshman in 03.

opksooner
10/12/2006, 09:15 PM
I drove up to Ames, the last time we played 'em, '03.

Danny Bradley went OFF!

MiccoMacey
10/12/2006, 09:36 PM
2002 was a great game for me because it helped relieve Mrs. MiccoMacey's family after their father (her Grandfather) passed away.

And we got to tell them that she was pregnant as well.

proudsoonergal
10/12/2006, 10:47 PM
2003 was memorable. I went up there and saw the game in person. We had pretty good seats - in fact, we went up to the ticket booth and changed them to an ultimately better spot. You could never do that for a home OU game! The game, of course, was fun to watch, and I remember driving around the campus, which was really pretty. The leaves were in the process of changing.

Regarding an actual football memory, 2002 was fun. I think Senaca Wallace had more INTs than completions in the first half. :D

Sooner24
10/12/2006, 11:10 PM

My only trip to Ames. Q got his first start and went on to help the team to a National Title the next year.

badger
10/12/2006, 11:21 PM
favorite memory:

seneca wallace visits norman, as does isu fan painted gold like a heisman. seneca wallace clobbered in norman. isu fan painted in gold like a heisman looks foolish, like the rest of the cyclones.

:D

SoonerStats
10/13/2006, 02:57 AM
It may or may not help this thread, but here are the top OU rushing performances against ISU:

http://www.soonerstats.com/fb/recordbook/player/rush_game.cfm?oppid=52

Also, one of my favorite memories (aside from a couple already mentioned) is when Freddie Nixon -- whom I had met a few times through my mom's job at her bank -- returned a punt 85 yards for a TD in 1977 (sixth longest PR in OU history).

TheHumanAlphabet
10/13/2006, 04:21 AM
Partying with the Iowa State Pep Band at the Holiday Inn in Midwest City, drinking so much I was made a member of the 80/20 and then the 98/2 club. Wild time, we got kicked out of the hotel and then I was taken home (blatsoed!) and promptly passed out in my room and woke up to my roommate telling me I had to go to Goddard - I had busted my eye open on the doorknob to the bathroom. Goddard sewed me up, the Dr. said I didn't need anesthesia (apparently a little trick they do on injured inebrated people) and then I was in block at 8 am ready to march!!! I was a "Macho Man!" on a Village People show, so I got to wear sunglasses that day...Couldn't see out that eye for 2 days...

Good times! Good memories!

Iowa State had the best parties and partiers around, but I suspect Britt was never around those or would never allow them today...Sad.

Taxman71
10/13/2006, 06:25 AM
This one time, we had a case of Beast after a basketball game and an Iowa St coach starting hitting on the ugly chicks..............