PDA

View Full Version : Horns OL praises OU DL--says better than Ohio State

footballfanatic
10/11/2006, 09:39 PM
Texas, which gained more running yards against Ohio State than OU, compared the two defensive lines.

"Both are good, and both are physical," Longhorns offensive tackle, Tony Hill, said.
"But Oklahoma's defensive line covered more ground. They're a little bit quicker."

On a sad note, there's one lineman OU won't have to face next year. Matt Nader, a 5-star, 6'6", 300 lb. recruit from Austin Westlake, won't be playing for Texas next year. He collapsed during a game this year from an unknown heart condition--his heart actually stopped--but his life was saved by a sideline defibrillator. The game was cancelled. UT will honor his scholarship, but his playing days are over.

birddog
10/11/2006, 09:47 PM
oh. state's dl must not be very good.

i just saw our dl getting knocked around the park all day.

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/11/2006, 09:50 PM
Thats sad about the player though

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2006, 09:56 PM
They're just saying that so that Stoops won't get fired.

After all, they know that Stoops can't beat them, so the longer he stays there, the more wins they'll get year after year.

Man...we suck.

Octavian
10/11/2006, 09:57 PM
that's nice of him to say (and of you to post)...

we're getting better.

but we're not the kind of fanbase (http://texags.com/main/forum.topic.asp?forum_id=5&days=2) that takes much solace in moral victories (http://mb29.scout.com/fosuinsiderfrm1).

goingoneight
10/11/2006, 10:06 PM
And Colt McCoy praises OU secondary, in his head, I guess, too... Good read, thanks. I think we've got the speed and athleticism, we're strong, and individually OUr guys aren't your typical dumb athletes, or at least the ones I've seen speaking publicly... we're just a little clueless sometimes... like Stoops said though, it doesn't really make sense why this is if they're coached correctly. I take it if Stoops believes they're coached well, then it is a weird scenario.

Texas Golfer
10/11/2006, 10:06 PM
I'm sorry to hear that about Matt Nader. I'm glad he will be well.

soonerhubs
10/11/2006, 11:05 PM
Pretty cool for the college to honor his scholarship.

footballfanatic
10/11/2006, 11:12 PM
It's the right thing to do, but it's also smart business; If recruits know their scholarship will be safe whatever happens to them, they'll be more inclined to choose the school.

Sooner98
10/11/2006, 11:18 PM
That sucks for the kid, but I'm glad he's alright.

Texas Law Student
10/12/2006, 12:28 AM
Has any Texas player worth listening to ever trashed OU? Hell, I'm a Longhorn but I have nothing but immense respect for OU and especially Bob Stoops.

Sco
10/12/2006, 12:59 AM

After all, they know that Stoops can't beat them, so the longer he stays there, the more wins they'll get year after year.

Man...we suck.

:rolleyes:

LosAngelesSooner
10/12/2006, 02:21 AM
:rolleyes:
Sarcasm is a new thing for you, isn't it?

boomersooner28
10/12/2006, 02:49 AM
Uh, OSU has 2 D tackles that will be playing on Sundays. He must have been referring to the D ends.

BIG_IKE
10/12/2006, 05:14 AM
Well....

looking at Stats....

Selvin averaged 5 yards a rush against OU...

he averaged 8.5 against Ohio State..

Why Greg Davis stopped running the ball in that game is beyond me..

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2006, 05:47 AM
Well....

looking at Stats....

Selvin averaged 5 yards a rush against OU...

he averaged 8.5 against Ohio State..

Why Greg Davis stopped running the ball in that game is beyond me..

Beyond you?

When down by more than 10 points with less than a quarter to go, dont you usually try passing it more?

BIG_IKE
10/12/2006, 06:48 AM
Beyond you?

When down by more than 10 points with less than a quarter to go, dont you usually try passing it more?

Not if your using the Greg Davis Conservative/P***y playbook.
They averaged more yards per run play than pass play that game, thats unheard of. They ran screen after screen after screen.

Partial Qualifier
10/12/2006, 06:54 AM

indeed. Glad they had a defib handy! Every minute that guy lives for the rest of his life is a miracle. Usually these heart events in young athletes are fatal.

jwlynn64
10/12/2006, 08:27 AM
oh. state's dl must not be very good.

i just saw our dl getting knocked around the park all day.

If you hold a team to 220 total yards and 21 points, that gives your team a pretty good chance to win.

Face it, our D played pretty good Saturday, our O is what lost this game.

Going into the game, I thought that just the opposite would happen.

snp
10/12/2006, 08:31 AM
indeed. Glad they had a defib handy! Every minute that guy lives for the rest of his life is a miracle. Usually these heart events in young athletes are fatal.

Good thing it was Austin Westlake. They probably had about 15 doctors trying to whip out thei defib's while a dozen more were running to their cars to get the tools for open heart surgery.

tbl
10/12/2006, 08:50 AM
Indeed.

footballfanatic
10/12/2006, 09:10 AM
Good thing it was Austin Westlake. They probably had about 15 doctors trying to whip out thei defib's while a dozen more were running to their cars to get the tools for open heart surgery.

Well, you're not far from the truth. BOTH of his parents are doctors, and they were very personally involved in the efforts to save him. That kid is lucky, in many ways. It's hard to feel too sad about your career ending, when you almost lose your life.

TUSooner
10/12/2006, 10:24 AM

Man...we suck.

Can I get you something to drink? Maybe some cyanide?

It'll get better. :D

10/12/2006, 10:48 AM
The Nader kid collapsed at a local (for me) football game. That was a very scary scene. A coach I'm friends with said members of both teams were visably shaken by the deal.

Here's a letter Westlake coach Derek Long wrote to our local paper...

Special folks

I would like to convey a heartfelt thank you to the College Station community and to the administrative staff, coaching staff and players of A&M Consolidated High School. Despite having just learned of your own tragedy, your community was unbelievably helpful and compassionate after Westlake player Matt Nader collapsed on the sidelines Friday night. There was the retired DPS officer who gave me a ride to the hospital, the two fathers of players who offered Matt's family a place to stay, the man who brought ice coolers of drinks to the hospital and the countless others who came by the hospital to offer their prayers and well wishes. You are blessed to live in a loving, caring community.

You are also blessed to have a man the caliber of Jim Slaughter working with your football players. Coach Slaughter understands the importance of winning, but he also knows the life lessons these young athletes learn are the real victories. Friday night, I hope everyone learned that life is more important than a football game. I also think the players realized that an opponent on the field can be a friend after the contest. The young men of these two teams will be bonded forever by the events of Friday night.

The good news is that Matt is resting comfortably in South Austin Medical Hospital and has suffered no neurological or cardiac damage. He is continuing to undergo testing to determine the cause of the incident. No matter what the future holds, Matt has been blessed with a second chance, and he will make the most of it.

As the days pass, know that you are remembered for the kindness that was shown and that the Westlake community will have you in our thoughts and prayers as you deal with your tragedy.

DEREK LONG
Athletic director and Head football coach,
Westlake High School
Austin

Editor's Note: After this letter was written, doctors discovered Nader had suffered a lethal arrhythmia during the game, so they inserted an implantable defibrillator in his chest. Because of the possibility of a recurrence of the problem, Nader will not play football again.

Jock Ewing
10/12/2006, 10:50 AM

His parents are doctors. One is a cardiologist and, I believe, treated Matt on the sidelines.

Good luck with the rest of your season.

homerxsimpson
10/12/2006, 10:55 AM

Ironically, Hills himself got a similar deal from Mack. He was the victim of a vicious High/low double team in his senior year that tore his knee up pretty good. Took a whole lot of opperations, rehab and prayer just to get him walking right again (nerve damage gave him 'club foot'). The fact that he's playing (much less starting) is a bit of a minor miracle.

While there is no way Matt's condition will ever allow him to see the field again, it just goes to show that it's always a good idea to honor the schollys that you give out, cause you just never know....

Luthor
10/12/2006, 11:03 AM
I agree with Tony Hills' evaluation and I have no sour grapes over the tOSU loss. I respect their team just as I do OU. The reason we lost to tOSU wasn't because we did too many things wrong. It was because we didn't do enough things right and the primary source of that was a QB with 1 games worth of experience under his belt.

I'm not predicting that we would beat tOSU if we played again now. I am saying, however, that McCoy wouldn't be so confused and ill prepared to face a tOSU D unit that is about on par with the OU D unit.

sooneron
10/12/2006, 11:25 AM
I agree with Tony Hills' evaluation and I have no sour grapes over the tOSU loss. I respect their team just as I do OU. The reason we lost to tOSU wasn't because we did too many things wrong. It was because we didn't do enough things right and the primary source of that was a QB with 1 games worth of experience under his belt.

I'm not predicting that we would beat tOSU if we played again now. I am saying, however, that McCoy wouldn't be so confused and ill prepared to face a tOSU D unit that is about on par with the OU D unit.
I kind of disagree, I think OUr D is on par with where their D was back in week 2. Their D is better now- keep in mind, they had 2 starters on that unit and they hadn't truly gelled yet.

Sadly, OUr D started behind where their D was earlier in the season.

Luthor
10/12/2006, 12:40 PM
I kind of disagree, I think OUr D is on par with where their D was back in week 2. Their D is better now- keep in mind, they had 2 starters on that unit and they hadn't truly gelled yet.

Sadly, OUr D started behind where their D was earlier in the season.

At the risk of sounding like an OU supporter I have to say that I think I may have a better perspective that you do. The tOSU DB unit is likely better but their front 7 as a unit is absolutely not as good as OU. They have a solid DB corp, 1 outstanding LB and 1 outstanding DT. After the game in Austin the tOSU people I've mentioned are really the only ones who have distinguished themselves although the D as a unit has done well. You guys will likely have both DEs and 2 LBs play on Sunday. 4 out of 7 ain't shabby.

MiccoMacey
10/12/2006, 12:43 PM
You guys will likely have both DEs and 2 LBs play on Sunday. 4 out of 7 ain't shabby.

The hell you say, they ain't even started playin' on Saturdays this year...:D

LosAngelesSooner
10/12/2006, 01:53 PM
Can I get you something to drink? Maybe some cyanide?

It'll get better. :D
On the rocks, please.