PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find this odd?

Okla-homey
10/11/2006, 07:23 PM
Here's the dealio. At school today, some guy was rather shocked that Mrs Homey and I were going to the Sooner game on Saturday instead of staying home to watch the TU game on pay-per-view (in conference play vs. East Carolina) at 2pm.

His point was, since I didn't go to OU and will be a TU grad in about a year and a half, I was some kind of weirdo Sooner wannabe fan -- especially since OUr season is, well, you know.

I told him I have been a Sooner fan for as long as I can remember going back to the Bud Wilkinson era (Bud left after the 1963 season, when I was four) and as a proud Native Oklahoman, Sooner loyalty always comes first.

I think he thinks I'm nuts. Wadday'allthink? Is it okay for a college grajit who din't grajitate from OU to be a loyal Sooner fan?

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2006, 07:26 PM
If it's not okay then I'm in trouble.

BajaOklahoma
10/11/2006, 07:31 PM
Why do you talk to Aggots?

Okla-homey
10/11/2006, 07:36 PM
Why do you talk to Aggots?

This guy is from Montana. I don't know if the University of Montana is aggtastic or not.

jk the sooner fan
10/11/2006, 07:59 PM
i sure as hell hope its ok......

OUHOMER
10/11/2006, 08:00 PM
well, I did not go to college and I am a Sooner fan. So I hear all the BS , If you did not go to school at OU you can not be a fan.

So yea you can be a fan even if you graduated from another school

SoonerBorn68
10/11/2006, 08:05 PM
Heh. I didn't graduate from OU, but I went there. And, since I'm a lifelong resident of Norman, I grant myself a pass.

GottaHavePride
10/11/2006, 08:13 PM
What does SuperSooner think about this?

handcrafted
10/11/2006, 08:25 PM
This guy is from Montana. I don't know if the University of Montana is aggtastic or not.

Isn't everything in Montana pretty much aggtastic?

crawfish
10/11/2006, 08:28 PM
My brother just started as a prof at TU this semester, and he's already getting flak about his OU gear and loyalty.

Silly Golden Hurricanes, thinking they matter. ;)

hurricane'bone
10/11/2006, 08:46 PM
My brother just started as a prof at TU this semester, and he's already getting flak about his OU gear and loyalty.

Silly Golden Hurricane, thinking they matter. ;)

Fixed.

royalfan5
10/11/2006, 08:51 PM
I tend to think that Grad school exempts you from the Usual rules governing sports loyalty. I think it is kind of stupid if you go to major D-1 univeristy as an undergrad to root for another one though. For example, being a K-State fan yet going to Nebraska. I think you should be loyal to your undergrad institution above all else. I would root for my undergrad alma mater to kick the **** out of the Huskers if they ever played, which they won't. If you didn't go to a D-1 school, I think you should be a fan of whomever you please. Just my thoughts.

yermom
10/11/2006, 08:57 PM
Homey, who did you root for when Allbarn played The Citadel a couple years ago?

:pop:

BeetDigger
10/11/2006, 10:53 PM
I think he thinks I'm nuts. Wadday'allthink?

We think he's right.

As far as being a fan however, root for whomever you want. Oh, and ignore those guys in the white coats, they're here to help you. :D

OUAndy1807
10/11/2006, 11:18 PM
you have to attend OU to be a fan.

tbl
10/11/2006, 11:25 PM
Good grief I hope you're not serious....

picasso
10/11/2006, 11:28 PM
I tend to think that Grad school exempts you from the Usual rules governing sports loyalty. I think it is kind of stupid if you go to major D-1 univeristy as an undergrad to root for another one though. For example, being a K-State fan yet going to Nebraska. I think you should be loyal to your undergrad institution above all else. I would root for my undergrad alma mater to kick the **** out of the Huskers if they ever played, which they won't. If you didn't go to a D-1 school, I think you should be a fan of whomever you please. Just my thoughts.
I came closer to going to oSu than OU and no way in Sam Hill was I going to be rooting for them in anything.

Mixer!
10/11/2006, 11:42 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000C1YPGC.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1134687700_.jpg

Octavian
10/12/2006, 12:01 AM
This guy is from Montana.

sheeut, Homey....that's all you had to say.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8070/untitledjv2.png (http://imageshack.us)

Scott D
10/12/2006, 12:06 AM
Here's the dealio. At school today, some guy was rather shocked that Mrs Homey and I were going to the Sooner game on Saturday instead of staying home to watch the TU game on pay-per-view (in conference play vs. East Carolina) at 2pm.

His point was, since I didn't go to OU and will be a TU grad in about a year and a half, I was some kind of weirdo Sooner wannabe fan -- especially since OUr season is, well, you know.

I told him I have been a Sooner fan for as long as I can remember going back to the Bud Wilkinson era (Bud left after the 1963 season, when I was four) and as a proud Native Oklahoman, Sooner loyalty always comes first.

I think he thinks I'm nuts. Wadday'allthink? Is it okay for a college grajit who din't grajitate from OU to be a loyal Sooner fan?

asks the guy who no doubt cheered for Alabama Aggie versus his Alma-mater. ;)

Stoop Dawg
10/12/2006, 12:35 AM
In general, people can root for whoever the hell they want.

However, Oklahoma is a little different and I think a lot of people don't get that. Since we have absolutely no pro teams in any sport, people take on OU as our state representative in the sporting world. And I think that's fine and dandy.

Okla-homey
10/12/2006, 05:13 AM

I was at that game and I rooted for my alma mater. It didn't do much good though.;) Somewhat ironically, that particular game is the probably the material reason OU (and not AU) played uSucc. At least that is what I believe.

Okla-homey
10/12/2006, 05:15 AM

I was at that game and I rooted for my alma mater, wore blue and white, and sat in the viz section. It didn't do much good though.;) Somewhat ironically, that particular game is the probably the material reason OU (and not AU) played uSucc. At least that is what I believe.

10/12/2006, 05:21 AM
I catch hell for being a Sooner fan all the time. I still root for my alma mater, but you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find a SWOSU Bulldogs game on College Station cable.

SoonerJack
10/12/2006, 07:44 AM
I root for the Sooners as a matter of state pride, family tradition. My sports heroes when I was a kid were: Steve Owens, Tinker Owens, Greg Pruitt, The Minnesota Vikings ('cause vikings rock and every other kid I knew was a Dallas Cowboys fan). People are absolutely amazed that I got my masters at silo tech and still root for the Sooners. It's abuse that I'll gladly take. Oh, and it is impossible to find the East Central University Tigers on tv.

Mjcpr
10/12/2006, 07:49 AM
I was a Sooner fan long before I ever thought about going to college.

Mostly it's aggy that has a problem with this and that's because they're mad nobody would be a fan of theirs UNLESS they went to school there....there would be no other reason.

jk the sooner fan
10/12/2006, 07:51 AM
yes, if you go to a game at aggy, they check diploma's at the gate

many of them leave the diploma in the window of their car to claim a handicap parking spot

OUDoc
10/12/2006, 07:53 AM
I had classmates in medical school who went to osu undergrad and, obviously, OU for medical school. I gave them tons of sh!t saying that they're Sooners now, but they still considered themselves Aggies. I think they're stupid, but I respect that. Be loyal to whomever you want. It doesn't make any difference where you go to school. (I'm glad I decided not to go to Stanford for undergrad. I'd be run off this board. ;))

jk the sooner fan
10/12/2006, 08:04 AM
my cousin graduated from law school at OU after getting his undergraduate at aggy.....i've tried that "you're a sooner now"....it just ****es him off and makes him testy

OUDoc
10/12/2006, 08:07 AM
....i've tried that "you're a sooner now"....it just ****es him off and makes him testy
Yeah. That's why I kept telling it to my classmates. :D

william_brasky
10/12/2006, 08:18 AM
I would like to hear what Sooner Scooter has to say about this matter.

NormanPride
10/12/2006, 08:24 AM
I was a Sooner fan long before I ever thought about going to college.

Mostly it's aggy that has a problem with this and that's because they're mad nobody would be a fan of theirs UNLESS they went to school there....there would be no other reason.

Many of them still aren't fans. They just go there to have a reason to hate us. :D

TUSooner
10/12/2006, 08:43 AM
you have to attend OU to be a fan.
Most famous troll bait EVAR!
Not that I'd know. :O

Anyway, Homey, your loyalty to Tulsa is well documented, but,
"There's only one... OKLAHOMA."
That is all

BeetDigger
10/12/2006, 09:01 AM
my cousin graduated from law school at OU after getting his undergraduate at aggy.....i've tried that "you're a sooner now"....it just ****es him off and makes him testy

Testy? You mean like Pat's avatars?

Vaevictis
10/12/2006, 09:06 AM

I always thought that that was pretty typical of Oklahomans. OU is the closest thing we had to major pro sports, so I always figured it was pretty common for non-OU graduates (college graduate or no) to pull for the team they pulled for growing up.

yermom
10/12/2006, 09:16 AM
I was at that game and I rooted for my alma mater, wore blue and white, and sat in the viz section. It didn't do much good though.;) Somewhat ironically, that particular game is the probably the material reason OU (and not AU) played uSucc. At least that is what I believe.

if you go one further, they had to play them because we bought out BGSU from playing them

Beef
10/12/2006, 09:25 AM
I thought the correct answer to questions like this were to tell people to go hump a goat.

C&CDean
10/12/2006, 09:31 AM
I was an OU fan in the 4th grade in Tucson, AZ, and had never even seen the campus. I went to college at the University of Arizona, University of Phoenix, University of Central Oklahoma (B.S.), and got my Master's at OU.

I like the Packers in the NFL, and the St. Louis Cardinals in MLB. I think the NBA should just go away.

So sue me.

Mixer!
10/12/2006, 03:31 PM
http://img2.imagepile.net/img2/452johnnycash_aboynamedsue_sheetmusic.jpg

Osce0la
10/12/2006, 03:34 PM
I had a girlfriend that went to UAB and people actually got mad at her for wearing Alabama shirts to school...

Come on, it's UAB...

10/12/2006, 05:32 PM
For fans who didn't actually attend or graduate from school A, the following equation applies:

School A+Love of Program=$$$

$$$=your athletic department getting cash and simply wondering why group B would consider holding their support until another national title is won.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/12/2006, 06:48 PM
I came closer to going to oSu than OU and no way in Sam Hill was I going to be rooting for them in anything.Hear here!!!

SoonerBorn68
10/12/2006, 09:38 PM
I've probably dropped as much $ on OU for tickets (all sports), fundraisers, parking, parking tickets, merchandise, etc. as some people have paid tutition. :)

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2006, 11:48 PM
For me it's a state pride issue. I take pride in what the state of Oklahoma represented through OU. I was an OU fan long before I was a Baylor student.

But OU is probably the biggest representative of the state of Oklahoma to the rest of the nation. I sure as hell do not want OSU to be the face of Oklahoma outside of the state.

This is slightly off subject but I was thinking of SB68's comments regarding tuition...

I've heard a lot of Aggie fans talk about how they donate money, buy season tickets, etc. becuase they owe so much to their school. I don't know if fans from other schools talk that way but it seems pretty crazy to me.

I love my school, but considering the tuition I pay (or anyone at any school pays) to get themselves through college it's hard to imagine some sort of life long debt owed to the university. I guess an exception to that would be if the school provided you with a free education.

royalfan5
10/12/2006, 11:55 PM
For me it's a state pride issue. I take pride in what the state of Oklahoma represented through OU. I was an OU fan long before I was a Baylor student.

But OU is probably the biggest representative of the state of Oklahoma to the rest of the nation. I sure as hell do not want OSU to be the face of Oklahoma outside of the state.

This is slightly off subject but I was thinking of SB68's comments regarding tuition...

I've heard a lot of Aggie fans talk about how they donate money, buy season tickets, etc. becuase they owe so much to their school. I don't know if fans from other schools talk that way but it seems pretty crazy to me.

I love my school, but considering the tuition I pay (or anyone at any school pays) to get themselves through college it's hard to imagine some sort of life long debt owed to the university. I guess an exception to that would be if the school provided you with a free education.
If people didn't feel a debt to Baylor you'd pay a ton more. Giving back helps pave the way for the next generation at your alma mater. Alumni giving rates is one of the biggest things for schools getting big gifts. The private school I went to had a high alumni giving rate which helped fund raising which got us constantly updated facilities, and lower tution. If you love your college you should give back.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2006, 12:14 AM
If people didn't feel a debt to Baylor you'd pay a ton more. Giving back helps pave the way for the next generation at your alma mater. Alumni giving rates is one of the biggest things for schools getting big gifts. The private school I went to had a high alumni giving rate which helped fund raising which got us constantly updated facilities, and lower tution. If you love your college you should give back.

Oh I totally agree with that. I'm not saying people shouldn't donate..if they didn't then we'd be totally unable to have the kind of facilities that we have.

My point was though carrying a lifelong sense of oweing a debt. But yeah that's a very good point. I don't disagree.

Mixer!
10/13/2006, 07:35 AM
What I find amusing about aggy: this season's sales pitch is "how orange are you?". They take it and turn it into a litmus test of what one must do to be considered a "true" fan, which includes mandatory purchasing of ST's to FB & MBB, and donating $xxxx.xx back to BSU. Also, one must HATE the guts out of ANYBODY who supports OU and/or wears Crimson and Cream. Most of all, OU's failures on the field/court are considered more important than their own team's successes. So **** that taliban mindset of theirs.

Howzit
10/13/2006, 08:03 AM
The answers you seek may be found here (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60740).

Wash your hands afterward.

Okla-homey
10/13/2006, 08:12 AM
The answers you seek may be found here (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60740).

Wash your hands afterward.

And never mind the fact every taxpayer in this great state gives money to OU. That alone should buy "fan rights" for those who wish to claim them. Of course, we all get bajillion$ back according to Pres/Gov/Sen Boren, but that's beside the point.;)

Howzit
10/13/2006, 08:18 AM
And never mind the fact every taxpayer in this great state gives money to OU. That alone should buy "fan rights" for those who wish to claim them. Of course, we all get bajillion$ back according to Pres/Gov/Sen Boren, but that's beside the point.;)

I KNOW!!!

That SoonerScooter is a bastard. Heavy on the tard.

jk the sooner fan
10/13/2006, 08:24 AM
that thread should be listed in the top 15 all time great threads here....

Mixer!
10/13/2006, 08:32 AM
Dear God in Heaven.... :mad: :eek: :(