PDA

View Full Version : Another reason that I hate everybody

sanantoniosooner
10/11/2006, 06:38 PM
So here's the deal...

I bid a room addition for some friends(years ago) and they decided to use someone else. No big deal. The other contractor drops the ball and I bail them out. No big deal again.

Then they want a deck built and I insist they get other bids so they'll know I'm giving them a good deal. I promise them that if they get a better bid, I'll look it over, to make sure it's apple and apples, and beat the price if at all possible.

They end up dropping me for someone else without any reasonable explanation or opportunity to meet or beat the price. I was a little irritated, because I put a lot of time into the deal and had scheduled other work around it. I let the husband know that I'd like to talk about it sometime, but they've never approached me.

FAST FORWARD to now....

They call me up and would like me to fix a grout line with a crack, because of the slab the other contractor had poured. It's been about 3-4 years, but I swallowed my pride and went over to see how I could help them out even though we've had nothing but small talk in the last few years.

Then....

I get a call from a young contractor that I've used before that needs help with a tub to shower conversion. He's never done it and want some advice. I offer to come to the job and find out it's at this house. He was told not to mention that he was working for them to me. I told him that I'd love to help him out, but I don't feel comfortable helping them out. This was some work that they had mentioned to me way back, but they told him I was unavailable, without asking me of course.

I'm of the opinion that I don't owe them squat at this point and if they don't want to sit down and clear the air, they may as well lose my phone number.

Can anyone convince me otherwise?

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/11/2006, 06:42 PM
Nope.

jk the sooner fan
10/11/2006, 06:43 PM
hell no, you went farther than most i think

how much to do my kitchen? you can sleep in the guest bedroom and surf soonerfans all day

just let the dogs out once a day

1stTimeCaller
10/11/2006, 06:46 PM
burn their house down and offer to rebuild it for them

sanantoniosooner
10/11/2006, 06:48 PM
I'll post some pics of the kitchen I'm finishing up when it's done. Unfortunately, I only travel for smaller jobs. But if it was a summer job, I'd consider it. Depending on how elaborate it is. This current one is over $20,000, but it's primo.

Back to the source of my disgust....

I want to like these people but they're making it real hard.

jk the sooner fan
10/11/2006, 06:49 PM
ok, how bout you travel up here for a weekend and let me help you tile my bathroom.......61sq feet

sanantoniosooner
10/11/2006, 06:51 PM
maybe too small to cover the expense.

PM me if serious. If not, quit wasting my time. I've already got $100 worth of time in your job. :D

jk the sooner fan
10/11/2006, 06:56 PM
i wasnt kidding! i havent picked out/purchased any tile yet

when i do i'll see if you're interested

colleyvillesooner
10/11/2006, 06:59 PM
i wasnt kidding! i havent picked out/purchased any tile yet

when i do i'll see if you're interested

I think you'll like these:

http://www.onehorseshy.com/prods/31474906_240x240_F.jpg

;)

BajaOklahoma
10/11/2006, 07:26 PM
SAS, they aren't worth your time. Their loss, not yours.

And when you come up here to do JK's bathroom, I also need my daughter's bathroom floor tiled. And I do have the tile picked out. :P

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2006, 07:32 PM
I don't want to waste SAS's time, so I'll ask this question in general.

If I were ever going to have my own house built I would want it built partially underground, but here's the thing...

I want a swimming pool above my living room so that my ceiling actually looks up at the pool so I'd need a glass/plexiglass pool bottom or something like that.

Is such a thing possible?

sanantoniosooner
10/11/2006, 07:36 PM
If you are Hugh Hefner.

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2006, 07:38 PM
If you are Hugh Hefner.
Really? Does he seriously have something like that?

1stTimeCaller
10/11/2006, 07:42 PM
Really? Does he seriously have something like that?

Sure it can be done. It would take a lot of $$ to make it happen. Eventually it would leak though.

SoonerInKCMO
10/11/2006, 07:47 PM
I don't want to waste SAS's time, so I'll ask this question in general.

If I were ever going to have my own house built I would want it built partially underground, but here's the thing...

I want a swimming pool above my living room so that my ceiling actually looks up at the pool so I'd need a glass/plexiglass pool bottom or something like that.

Is such a thing possible?

I'm sooo gonna come over and pee in SicEm's pool if he ever gets one of these. "What's that yellow cloud floatin' around??" :D

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2006, 07:48 PM
Sure it can be done. It would take a lot of $$ to make it happen. Eventually it would leak though.

See, I swam competitively for 10 years and I always loved being in the water. I kind of miss that, so I thought it'd be awesome to actually feel like you were living INSIDE the pool. That's the effect I'm going for. It'd be awesome if I could build the house in a kind of reverse aquarium.

SelmaBamaFan
10/11/2006, 07:54 PM
Ima sneak in and ninja skinny dip in his pool.

Hope he isnt watching TV at the time...

sanantoniosooner
10/11/2006, 07:56 PM
I'm still mad people :mad:

whatsername
10/11/2006, 08:05 PM
I'm still mad people :mad:
I don't blame you, I'd be mad too.

If they're not willing to talk with you and clear the air, then it's probably not worth your time and worry.

GottaHavePride
10/11/2006, 08:12 PM
SAS, they are obviously buttheads that are taking advantage of your good nature to bail them out when their cheap-*** ways catch up to them. Fugheddaboudit.

soonerboomer93
10/11/2006, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. If they call you, tell them you need to clear the air, or you won't do anything for them. They're not worth your time.

royalfan5
10/11/2006, 08:53 PM
It just seems to me to be a bad idea to do contracting work for your friends. It seems like there would be a lot of ways to screw up a friendship theirin.

OCUDad
10/11/2006, 09:02 PM
This thread is disturbing in two ways:

First, it's clear you don't owe these people a thing. You have gone above and beyond the call with them, and it's time to cut the cord.

But what REALLY bothers me is that you have now started two threads in recent history. (1) Why Does Everyone Hate Me? and (2) Another Reason That I Hate Everybody.

I think it's time for an intervention. Maybe you need a visit from someone who loves everyone and whom everyone loves. Is Dean available?

sanantoniosooner
10/11/2006, 09:18 PM
I hate you more than most.

BoogercountySooner
10/11/2006, 09:27 PM
Hold off until Xmas and I'll go straighten it out for you!:P

Octavian
10/11/2006, 09:39 PM
of course you should give them another chance.

and you should bring sammiches...

if you're lucky, maybe they'll say thanks.

if not, maybe they'll say thanks on their next project...

or, you could just forget to call them back and see how they like it...

Stoop Dawg
10/12/2006, 12:30 AM
Back to the source of my disgust....

I want to like these people but they're making it real hard.

I find that gobs of money make me like people more (well I like the gobs of money, really, but it makes the people tolerable). Offer to bid on their next project - but make your bid about double the normal price. Actually, don't even spend any time on the bid, just bid $50,000 without even looking at it or asking any questions.

They'll either get the hint or make you rich. Either way, you win.

olevetonahill
10/12/2006, 12:49 AM
why are you ****ed at them ? they used you . you let em . be ****ed at yourself for letting em.
quit callin em friends and just call em pricks and move on

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2006, 01:47 AM
of course you should give them another chance.

and you should bring sammiches...

if you're lucky, maybe they'll say thanks.

if not, maybe they'll say thanks on their next project...

or, you could just forget to call them back and see how they like it...

Don't listen to the pacifist.
They have f-ed you over and now it's time for you to f-k them over royally.
You are in the right here NOT them.
Offer to redo their foundation but do it with styrofoam.

william_brasky
10/12/2006, 05:16 AM
SA, drastic times call for drastic measures. Might I suggest the following:

http://static.flickr.com/48/143300040_c731c0d5b4_m.jpg

NormanPride
10/12/2006, 08:38 AM
Everything can be solved with a flaming poo bag.

Mjcpr
10/12/2006, 08:51 AM
Sounds like you charge too much.

BeetDigger
10/12/2006, 08:57 AM
Haven't you heard about the saying that we use in Texas?

Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice, won't get fooled again