PDA

View Full Version : NK Troops Taunting Their Southern Counterparts

VeeJay
10/11/2006, 11:30 AM
From an AP news report:

Along the razor-wired no-man's-land separating the divided Koreas, communist troops were more boldly trying to provoke their southern counterparts: spitting across the demarcation line, making throat-slashing hand gestures, flashing their middle finger and trying to talk to the troops, said U.S. Army Maj. Jose DeVarona of Fayetteville, N.C., adding that the overall situation was calm.

Spitting, making throat slash gestures, and flipping people off. In the NFL, players get penalized and fined for that stuff.

These are some bad dudes, those North Koreans.

SoonerInKCMO
10/11/2006, 11:31 AM
Nah, if they were really trying to provoke 'em they'd start talkin' about their mommas.

leavingthezoo
10/11/2006, 11:33 AM
were they wearing football pads? 'cause that sounds a lot like nebraska. :D

bri
10/11/2006, 11:37 AM
Man, set off one underground nuke and all of a sudden you're all "nanny-nanny-boo-boo"...

royalfan5
10/11/2006, 11:40 AM
I'm sure the NK troops were just indicating they had it up to here.(Somebody had to make the Callahan joke and it might as well be me)

Widescreen
10/11/2006, 11:42 AM
What's the width of the DMZ? I didn't think it was close enough to flip someone the bird and have them really see it. Maybe they're using binoculars. Or maybe they're Heroes with supersight. :confused:

picasso
10/11/2006, 11:43 AM
grab you crotch and it is a wahr!

KABOOKIE
10/11/2006, 11:47 AM
Guantanamo, East/West Germany, North/South Korea...... Take your pick. These type of things are a common occurence at DMZs.

Fugue
10/11/2006, 11:50 AM
Guantanamo, East/West Germany, North/South Korea...... Take your pick. These type of things are a common occurence at DMZs.

thanks Cruise, I wished he'd of just thanked him. :mad:

KABOOKIE
10/11/2006, 11:50 AM
What's the width of the DMZ? I didn't think it was close enough to flip someone the bird and have them really see it. Maybe they're using binoculars. Or maybe they're Heroes with supersight. :confused:

Some places it’s fairly wide. In others, it’s just a fresh stripe of white paint. Remember that NK border guard that went nuts several years ago and began shooting at civilians walking across the border?

49r
10/11/2006, 12:03 PM
Maybe they're just saying "We're number one!"...

OUDoc
10/11/2006, 12:22 PM
War is hell.

mdklatt
10/11/2006, 12:25 PM
WE'VE GOT SPIRIT, YES WE DO! WE'VE GOT SPIRIT, HOW 'BOUT YOU?

Howzit
10/11/2006, 12:36 PM
WWIII could be started by the moon over the DMZ.

1stTimeCaller
10/11/2006, 12:42 PM
they won't be able to invade S Korea. Our counterfires from their initial artillery fires will devastate their batterys and then we will use the Red Rain technique and continously launch rockets from MLRS and/or HIMARS at the passes in S Korea.

The trick is gonna be watching for the N Koreans to pop up out of the tunnels they have leading into S Korea.

A weird game of whack-a-mole will ensue.

These are just my opinions, SPC4 is a high as I made it in the Army.

mdklatt
10/11/2006, 12:44 PM
and then we will use the Red Rain technique and continously launch rockets from MLRS and/or HIMARS at the passes in S Korea.

How long could we continously do this until the ammo ran out?

1stTimeCaller
10/11/2006, 12:46 PM
I have no idea, it is used to buy time and decimate the initial forces.

JohnnyMack
10/11/2006, 12:51 PM
then we will use the Red Rain technique

Why do you hate Peter Gabriel?

OUDoc
10/11/2006, 12:58 PM
then we will use the Red Rain technique

Really?

http://adorocinema.cidadeinternet.com.br/filmes/karate-kid/karate-kid03.jpg

jk the sooner fan
10/11/2006, 01:33 PM
red rover red rover, let kim jung il come over

this is NOTHING new, they do this kind of crap on the DMZ all the damn time....we're only hearing about the skirmishes now because of the nuke issue

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2006, 01:50 PM
Actually, they're doing far worse **** up on the Chinese border.

Scott D
10/11/2006, 02:08 PM
It'd be amusing to see China reduce NK to a grease spot.

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/11/2006, 02:14 PM
Well, crap. I usually stay out of these threads for the obvious reasons but this is as good a place as any...

I want to know more about China in the big picture. I know there's a brazillion of them, we know they're the main source for NK's food and stuff and we know they're not real happy with that crazy freak right now. They're standing by Russia on the 'we don't like this nooclear crap' tip and I'm thinking NK better not pi$$ them off.

Realistically - what could/should they do about their bat$hit crazy neighbor? They seem to have more pull/influence than anyone else.

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2006, 02:14 PM
It'd be amusing to see China reduce NK to a grease spot.

N. Korea is really becoming a pain in China's ***. Their troops have started crossing the border and rampaging through Chinese towns stealing money, food, etc.

China doesn't want a nuclear equipped N. Korea anymore than we do. It's very possible that this will lead to Japan (even with their constitutional restrictions), S. Korea, and maybe a couple of others arming themselves with nuclear weapons. Long term Chinese strategic planning calls for their eventual dominance in Asia (not necessarily actual control ala the Japanese co-prosperity spheres), and that becomes very difficult when their Asian neighbors start arming themselves with nuclear weapons in respose to N. Korea.

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2006, 02:19 PM
Well, crap. I usually stay out of these threads for the obvious reasons but this is as good a place as any...

I want to know more about China in the big picture. I know there's a brazillion of them, we know they're the main source for NK's food and stuff and we know they're not real happy with that crazy freak right now. They're standing by Russia on the 'we don't like this nooclear crap' tip and I'm thinking NK better not pi$$ them off.

Realistically - what could/should they do about their bat$hit crazy neighbor? They seem to have more pull/influence than anyone else.

The Chinese relationship with North Korea has a lot to do with the fact that they are both Communist. The problem is that the Chinese are rapidly making internal economic reforms that is freeing up their economy and leading to massive economic expansion. North Korea has remained a hardline Stalinist state. The problem of course is that while the hardliners still retain that tie to their communist allies, the more moderate internal reformers see it has a hindrance to Chinese expansion.

Realistically the Chinese do have a lot of pull with the N.Koreans but they haven't reformed so much that they're willing to pull out all the stops to prevent N. Korea from expanding their military capability (especially since a lot of it comes from China). Nonetheless, like I said in the last post, the N. Koreans are increasingly becoming a huge problem for China.

jk the sooner fan
10/11/2006, 02:27 PM
i think any "control" china exercises over NK has to be done in such a subtle way as to not give the impression that china favors the west over their own allies

SoonerProphet
10/11/2006, 02:44 PM
China and South Korea don't want millions of fookin' North Koreans flooding across the borders. The Chinese also don't want a united Korea allied with the US or the West either. Any moves by China to destabilize NK seem to be counterproductive of these two issues they face.

Stoop Dawg
10/11/2006, 02:47 PM
Two pages and no Monty Python reference?

You guys seriously dissappoint....

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2006, 02:48 PM
China and South Korea don't want millions of fookin' North Koreans flooding across the borders. The Chinese also don't want a united Korea allied with the US or the West either. Any moves by China to destabilize NK seem to be counterproductive of these two issues they face.

Well, there is a CHANCE they are hedging their bets on that.
It looks like the Chinese are convinced that N. Korea will collapse so they have been sending massive numbers of troops to the border. I think the overt justification is that they're trying to prevent N. Korean troops from pilliaging and citizens trying to escape the regime.

However, there are a large number of troops up there so it's possible China could be staging for a territory grab of N. korea should they collapse under the auspices of providing stability.

Stoop Dawg
10/11/2006, 02:51 PM
However, there are a large number of troops up there so it's possible China could be staging for a territory grab of N. korea should they collapse under the auspices of providing stability.

I'm no expert, but I can't see that going over well with the rest of the world.

"Now go away, or I will taunt you a second time!"

VeeJay
10/11/2006, 02:55 PM
http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/walmart.jpg

Free North Korea!

SoonerProphet
Well, there is a CHANCE they are hedging their bets on that.
It looks like the Chinese are convinced that N. Korea will collapse so they have been sending massive numbers of troops to the border. I think the overt justification is that they're trying to prevent N. Korean troops from pilliaging and citizens trying to escape the regime.

What kind of territory are they going to grab if NK goes flop? Possibly some land accessing the Sea of Japan?

I think China wants NK to remain a buffer state and will do as much as it can to prevent it from destabilizing any further. It does not want to absorb a refugee crisis, nor see a united Korea in alliance with Western interests. Of course a common hatred for all things Japan may go along way in that scenario.

jk the sooner fan
who here thinks the west would intervene if China militarily crossed over into North Korea?

not me

SoonerProphet
10/11/2006, 02:58 PM
Two pages and no Monty Python reference?

You guys seriously dissappoint....

Your Father Is a Hamster and Your Mother Smells of Elderberries
Now, go away before I taunt you for a second time! :D

Stoop Dawg
10/11/2006, 03:02 PM
who here thinks the west would intervene if China militarily crossed over into North Korea?

not me

Oh, make no mistake about it. China would receive strongly worded letters from the UN if they invaded NK. Of that, you can be sure.

jk the sooner fan
10/11/2006, 03:06 PM
yeah, we all know too well how ominous those letters can be

Scott D
10/11/2006, 03:21 PM
What kind of territory are they going to grab if NK goes flop? Possibly some land accessing the Sea of Japan?

I think China wants NK to remain a buffer state and will do as much as it can to prevent it from destabilizing any further. It does not want to absorb a refugee crisis, nor see a united Korea in alliance with Western interests. Of course a common hatred for all things Japan may go along way in that scenario.

At this point I think China wants to have a scenario come up where they can rid themselves of Bat**** Crazy Il-Jong and replace him with more of a puppet replacement. You know, sorta what we'd like to do with Venezuela.

Ike
10/11/2006, 03:42 PM
south korean troops responded to the taunts by openly eating sandwiches in front of their starving northern brethren.

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2006, 04:13 PM
I'm no expert, but I can't see that going over well with the rest of the world.

"Now go away, or I will taunt you a second time!"

China does a lot of things that don't sit well with the rest of the world.
Speaking objectively, China would have every right to do whatever it needed to do in order to secure its own borders. They could never get by with occuping the entire country, but they certainly could justify (at least for awhile) occuping a good chunk of the region bordering China.

SoonerProphet
10/11/2006, 04:17 PM
At this point I think China wants to have a scenario come up where they can rid themselves of Bat**** Crazy Il-Jong and replace him with more of a puppet replacement. You know, sorta what we'd like to do with Venezuela.

Yep, likely the Yanan group.

mdklatt
10/11/2006, 04:19 PM
They could never get by with occuping the entire country, but they certainly could justify (at least for awhile) occuping a good chunk of the region bordering China.

I think North Korea lost the right to sovereignty some time ago.

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2006, 04:22 PM
I think North Korea lost the right to sovereignty some time ago.
(I was referring to China)

The point was that in the case of an internal collapse of N. Korea, China could probably get by with occuping sections of N. Korea on their border.

And there is indication that may be what htey're planning to do considering the number of troops they've been sending up there.

Mixer!
10/11/2006, 04:39 PM
http://img2.imagepile.net/img2/95Plutonians-751799.jpg

"WE KNOW YOU EAT YOUR OWN FAHRTS!!"

mdklatt
10/11/2006, 04:39 PM
The point was that in the case of an internal collapse of N. Korea, China could probably get by with occuping sections of N. Korea on their border.

I know, and I be wouldn't opposed to them making that collapse happen on their own timetable. North Korea does not deserve to be a country anymore, if it ever did.

How would the Chicoms feel about a unified Korea under democratic rule (or at least what passes as such in ROK)?

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2006, 04:45 PM
How would the Chicoms feel about a unified Korea under democratic rule (or at least what passes as such in ROK)?

I think they'd be chagrined. ;)

mdklatt
10/11/2006, 04:49 PM
I think they'd be chagrined. ;)

Better that than dealing with the uncertainty of Kim Jong McCrazypants (now fortified with nuclear goodness!), I would think.