PDA

View Full Version : Hah! My first case is over.

Okla-homey
10/11/2006, 11:29 AM
...as a shiney new legal intern. Uncontested OK "marriage dissolution" (a/k/a D-I-V-O-R-C-E) w/no kids involved. The d00d didn't show-up, but he had waived his appearance. My client is happy. It's all good.
Woo hoo!

For the record, family law is the debbil.

That is all.

Fugue
10/11/2006, 11:33 AM
I had one of those, he won't show up deals too when I was clerking. Problem was, he did show up and it was a garnishment dealio. And, he was supa po'd. It got fugly.

frankensooner
10/11/2006, 11:34 AM
I used to try to see how fast I could get out of the Judge's office on those. I think three and a half minutes was my record.

uncontested dayvorces aint the debbil. they are nuttin but bread and butter. ;) contested divorces, they are the debbil. ;)

Viking Kitten
10/11/2006, 11:35 AM
You go with your bad self, Homey. For the record, my mom was out of law school for two years before she could bring herself to represent in a divorce case where kids were involved.

Fugue
10/11/2006, 11:36 AM
I used to try to see how fast I could get out of the Judge's office on those. I think three and a half minutes was my record.

uncontested dayvorces aint the debbil. they are nuttin but bread and butter. ;) contested divorces, they are the debbil. ;)

especially considering that if they really wanted to, they could do it themselves for about 10 bucks plus filing fee, at least here in KS.

TexasSooner01
10/11/2006, 11:59 AM
...as a shiney new legal intern. Uncontested OK "marriage dissolution" (a/k/a D-I-V-O-R-C-E) w/no kids involved. The d00d didn't show-up, but he had waived his appearance. My client is happy. It's all good.
Woo hoo!

For the record, family law is the debbil.

That is all.

Congrats!

I chose to go with PI and Insurance Defense....A friend of mine was stalked by a wacko father that was ****ed that he didnt get custody of his kid! Family law can get real nasty! You are a brave soul! :D

TexasLidig8r
10/11/2006, 12:09 PM
lol.. I imagine our Homey won't be practicing family law once he gets his legal eagle solo wings. Unless you go to a "family law boutique" firm, it's hard to make a good living off of generic divorce cases.

I see Homey working for the man, squashing the little people one case at a time.. being the mouthpiece par excellence for huge megagazillion corporate monopolies. :D

Okla-homey
10/11/2006, 01:33 PM
lol.. I imagine our Homey won't be practicing family law once he gets his legal eagle solo wings. Unless you go to a "family law boutique" firm, it's hard to make a good living off of generic divorce cases.

I see Homey working for the man, squashing the little people one case at a time.. being the mouthpiece par excellence for huge megagazillion corporate monopolies. :D

Amen brother.

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2006, 01:54 PM

Back in my lawyer wantin' to bein' days it was sorta a dream of mine to become a corproate attorney for big business and squash the little guy.

I had fantasies of working for the tobacco and gun industries..Now I'd be perfectly content just to lobby on their behalf.

Okla-homey
10/11/2006, 07:39 PM
Back in my lawyer wantin' to bein' days it was sorta a dream of mine to become a corproate attorney for big business and squash the little guy.

I had fantasies of working for the tobacco and gun industries..Now I'd be perfectly content just to lobby on their behalf.

The NRA has a stable of staff attorneys who write amicus briefs all day. That and draft legislation for gun-friendly lawmakers. Just saying.

Oldnslo
10/11/2006, 09:25 PM
I've done 3 divorces. 2 of which were for the same guy. After each of them, I told myself that I wouldn't do another.

But Dad's friends had a knack for picking some not-so-lovin' wimmens. But, I swear, the last one was THE LAST ONE.