PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Phillips Going to Prison

Octavian
10/11/2006, 11:29 AM
A rap sheet extended:
Former Husker Phillips convicted on assault charges

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Former NFL and Nebraska running back Lawrence Phillips was convicted Tuesday of seven counts of assault with a deadly weapon for driving a car at a group of young men, injuring three.

The 31-year-old Phillips drove onto a field near Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum after losing a pickup football game on Aug. 21, 2005. He struck two boys, ages 14 and 15, and a 19-year-old man, and narrowly missed four others between 15 and 24 years old, according to the prosecutor.

The three who were struck sustained "severe bumps and bruises and cuts," Deputy District Attorney Todd Hicks said.

A Los Angeles Superior Court jury deliberated about an hour before finding Phillips guilty, Hicks said.

Phillips faces up to 20 years in state prison. A sentencing date is expected to be set Oct. 19.

The prosecutor told jurors that Phillips became agitated when his team fell behind in the pickup game. He left the field, accused the boys of stealing from him and drove onto the field at a high rate of speed, Hicks said.

Defense attorney Leslie Ringold argued that her client's actions were neither willful nor intentional, and said there was "woefully insufficient evidence of assault."

She said the car Phillips was driving first hit the front wheel of a bike and fishtailed.

Phillips was arrested that day and has remained jailed since.

He has a history of trouble with the law, going back a decade to his time as one of the nation's top college football players.

The St. Louis Rams released him for insubordination in 1997 after he played 25 games with them. Phillips signed with the Miami Dolphins later in the 1997 season, but was released after pleading no contest to hitting a woman in a nightclub.

Phillips was the top offensive player in NFL Europe in 1999 after setting league records for rushing and touchdowns with the Barcelona Dragons.

He signed with the San Francisco 49ers later that year, but was released for missing a practice. He also has played in the Canadian Football League.

Phillips (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/10/10/phillips.charged.ap/index.html)

Widescreen
10/11/2006, 11:50 AM
Something tells me he'll get "time served" and walk.

Tear Down This Wall
10/11/2006, 12:19 PM
He has what some would call a slight attitude problem. Maybe some time in the pokey will real thugs will cure him of it...nah.

soonersam
10/11/2006, 12:28 PM
this is shocking news..... such a fine young man

OUDoc
10/11/2006, 12:36 PM
She said the car Phillips was driving first hit the front wheel of a bike and fishtailed.

Yeah. He's lucky the bike didn't hit him head-on, otherwise Phillips might have been thrown through the windshield of his car. :rolleyes:

XingTheRubicon
10/11/2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah. He's lucky the bike didn't hit him head-on, otherwise Phillips might have been thrown through the windshield of his car. :rolleyes:

Hey, you scratched my anchor.

Scott D
10/11/2006, 02:09 PM
in other news, water is wet and the sun is hot.

bri
10/11/2006, 02:33 PM
The full headline should read:

Lawrence Phillips Going To Prison, To Form 'Thunder and Lightening' Backfield With Maurice Clarett

Scott D
10/11/2006, 03:25 PM
except it's more like they'd be forming a Dumb and Dumber Backfield.

royalfan5
10/11/2006, 03:27 PM
Maybe we can get a real Longest Yard Now. Is Art Schlicter to old to QB?

picasso
10/11/2006, 05:59 PM
what a waste. I saw him shred oSu one year and not even break a sweat.

Mjcpr
10/11/2006, 06:01 PM

That's been done to death.

apusooner
10/11/2006, 06:37 PM
how does a former NFL player lose a game of pick up football to teenagers?

OKC-SLC
10/11/2006, 08:28 PM
how does a former NFL player lose a game of pick up football to teenagers?
no kidding, wondered that myself.

and what kind of efftard teenagers would play a pickup game with not just any former NFLer, but one who BEATS PEOPLE ALL THE TIME.

Big Red Ron
10/12/2006, 01:53 AM
I blame Tom Osborn for not kicking him off the team for the entire season but istead bringing him back for the Championship game,

bri
10/12/2006, 07:28 AM
I blame all those girlfriends for not knowing when to shut the hell up. :D

royalfan5
10/12/2006, 07:54 AM
I blame Tom Osborn for not kicking him off the team for the entire season but istead bringing him back for the Championship game,
He only missed half the season. He was back before the championship game.

OUDoc
10/12/2006, 07:55 AM
I blame all those girlfriends for not knowing when to shut the hell up. :D
:D

I mean "boooooo". :mad: [/looks over shoulder for wife]

sshusker
10/12/2006, 08:36 AM
Coach Osborne's first reaction was to kick him off the team, then he changed his mind and suspended him for 6 games and made him go to anger management therapy. I guess he thought he could help him (obviously it did not). LP was a very good running back, but NU did not need him to win games that year, his back up was Ahman Green.

stoopified
10/12/2006, 09:42 AM
Tried to run people over because he lost a pick-up football game.Man I thought I was a sore loser.I'm guessing that he ain't going to get any more help from the Corn Nation.A little jail time would do him good,it is a crying shame St.Osborne didn't see that 10 years ago.

sshusker
10/12/2006, 09:54 AM
He deserves what ever punishment he gets. He has had several chances through his life and he gets worse every time. Some people never learn.

critical_phil
10/12/2006, 10:07 AM

which puts him on an elite list with names like weldon ledbetter.

BeetDigger
10/12/2006, 04:26 PM
Maybe we can get a real Longest Yard Now. Is Art Schlicter to old to QB?

And wasn't there an ex-Cowboy lineman who was busted for having like 400# of pot in his car. I think that is a felony, although I'm not sure what the legal limit is these days.

critical_phil
10/12/2006, 04:27 PM
c'mon peoples. that was comedy gold.

how often do you get a weldon ledbetter reference?????!11!111!!!

OKC-SLC
10/12/2006, 07:02 PM
c'mon peoples. that was comedy gold.

how often do you get a weldon ledbetter reference?????!11!111!!!
heh.

i'll spek it up hardcore for ledbetter action.

(my god, what did I just say?)