PDA

View Full Version : IOWA STATE SCOUTING REPORT

BIG_IKE
10/11/2006, 06:45 AM
This game could be a good or bad one for Sooners..
Historically, Iowa State has not beat us since 1990. However in OU's last 10 games 6 of them were decided by a touchdown or less. So it's really upredictable here. It depends on which Sooners show up..

Iowa State Facts for the game....

1. Iowa State is undefeated at night this year (3-0)
2. Iowa State is winless during the day this year (0-3)
3. The records of teams that beat ISU is a combined 15-3
4. Iowa,Texas and Nebraska are the teams that beat ISU and together they
have only lost to Ohio State and USC.

5. Iowa States 3 wins were by a combined total of 9 points

OFFENSE

QB Meyer is a dual threat QB who is not afraid to run. He ran for 85 yds and 3 TD's vs. Toledo, and 70 yds @ Iowa. However, he prefers to pass and does a great job of spreading the wealth to his 3 targets Blythe, Flynn and Davis. They each have around 25 catches and almost identical yardage amounts. Blythe however, seems to be the go to guy with 6 TD grabs.
The Cyclones rush for 103 ypg, pass for 246 ypg. and score 22 points pg.
Meyer has thrown for 1,448 yards this season and seems to throw well under pressure. His TD-INT ratio is the same as Paul Thompson. 8 TD passes and 5 INT's. The Cyclones, win or lose, average near 20 1st downs a game. Mostly by throwing, so they do have the ability to move the ball. They also lose less fumbles than the rest of the Big 12.

DEFENSE
On the negative side, Iowa State has the worst total defense in the Big 12, and the worst pass efficiency defense. Their opponents completed 75% of their passes! They rank #76 in run defense and #94 in total defense and #102 in pass efficiency. I think the weakness is however, the defensive line. Not getting much of a pass rush is the reason for their defensive downfalls.

On the bright side, they do have two Linebackers that come to play. Alvin Bowen is #1 in the nation in tackles at 86. He is averaging 14 per game. His partner in crime is Tyrone McKenzie, ranked #7 in the nation in tackles with 67 (11 per game). This is probably a combination of them being good and the d-line being subpar...

SPECIAL TEAMS
Kick Returner Deandre Jackson has been solid with a 19.6 yd return average, but not more than Ryan Baum who averages 18 yards per punt return and is #8 nationally in that category.

KEYS to OU Winning...

1. Make Meyer beat us with his legs.
2. Secondary play. They have 3 legitimate receiving threats.
3. Aggressive O-line play. Paul will have plenty of time to throw. Put some helmets on the LB's and AD runs for over 200.
4. Discipline. Iowa State is a scrappy team looking to capitalize on our mistakes.

KEYS to ISU Winning...

1. Establish some type of running threat.
2. Isolate fresh receivers and pick on DJ Wolf
3. BLITZ BLITZ BLITZ
4. Luck

My Prediction

Iowa State will keep it close until the 3rd quarter. I predict they will throw for 200+ yards...but I also think we run AND throw for 200.

SOONERS 35...IOWA STATE 21

BIG_IKE
10/11/2006, 09:53 AM
From a Cyclone fan...

I found another reason why we can beat OU ..who knows? Our big weakness has been pass protection. I was also surprised to see that we were that high in the conference.

SACKS BY Sacks Yards
---------------------------------------
1. Missouri............ 6 24 149
2. Texas............... 6 19 147
3. Kansas State........ 6 18 109
4. Oklahoma State...... 5 17 114
5. Colorado............ 6 15 112
6. Kansas.............. 6 14 82
7. Iowa State.......... 6 11 80
8. Texas A&M........... 6 10 69
9. Texas Tech.......... 6 9 41
10.Nebraska............ 6 8 69
11.Baylor.............. 6 6 43
Oklahoma............ 5 6 48

Wishful thinking..

Pepper
10/11/2006, 12:31 PM
An Iowa State grad at work told me this morning that he will consider it a victory if they hold AD under 200 yards rushing.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/11/2006, 12:36 PM
Man, I remember that 1990 game. On 4th and 11, everybody in the stands was yelling "Watch the QB sneak". Who was Defensive Coordinator then?

Landthief 1972
10/11/2006, 01:10 PM
KEYS to ISU Winning...

2. pick on DJ Wolf

That's like saying water is wet. :P

FroggyStyle22
10/11/2006, 01:48 PM
Blythe and Flynn love to push off to get separation. Hardly ever get called for it. Watch for it.

BIG_IKE
10/11/2006, 03:31 PM
Blythe and Flynn love to push off to get separation. Hardly ever get called for it. Watch for it.

From here on out I am referring to that as Sweeding.

"Holy crap did you see Randy Moss SWEED the safety!!!"

"The refs say Joe Jon SWEEDED that Whorn but I disagree"

"Pass Interference...SWEEDING on #81...15 yard penalty, repeat 3rd down!"

"Michael Irvin...one of the all-time great SWEEDERS, was inducted into the Hall of Fame"

dougsooner
10/11/2006, 03:46 PM
Way to go IKE. That is classic! I'm on board with that....