PDA

View Full Version : How Quickly We Forget The 90's

TXBOOMER
10/10/2006, 10:05 PM
We are going to be 11-2 at best or 9-4 at worst this year and I am in football depression.

Flying Scotsman
10/10/2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah...the '90s. I miss 'em! (right...)

Seats were cheap. Lots of leg room. Easy to get in and out of Norman! We partied when we beat Tech in Norman - Yes *^)@!*&% TECH!

<singing> Those were the days my friends, I thought would never end ....

sooneron
10/10/2006, 10:12 PM
How much were we paying Boo?

yeah, I thought so.
Let's go hold a candlelight vigil outside Bob's house to say how lucky we are to have him. His 4 million dollar house with a friggin solarium!

I don't hate Bob, but he needs to start making his coaches/buddies accountable.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/10/2006, 10:41 PM
I bet Boo wasn't making 32,000$

birddog
10/10/2006, 10:55 PM
the '90's are forever etched into my brain. never in my life had i celebrated so much over a sooner win in those days. de'mond parker busting off 350 against sdsu. getting 150 yards in penalties a game. ah, those were the proverbial salad days.

i thought we were going to win the nc every year.

sooneron
10/10/2006, 10:57 PM
Obviously, acid was abundant back then! :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/10/2006, 11:02 PM
The thing with Stoops salary is the fact that walk around and look at OU jerseys. 10 years ago, you would never ever see that many OU jerseys. Now you open up national magazines and you see #28 or #16. Just from sale of merchandise, if you take say 50 cents off everything sold, it would be enough to pay his and everyone on the staff's salary. Also how much Bowl money did we get when Blake was here. How much television revenue did we get when he was here.....yes Stoops is paid just about right and if he wants a 10 story mansion...more power to him.

Octavian
10/10/2006, 11:24 PM
In less than 8 years

A Heisman winner

2 Heisman runners-up

27 All-Americans

2 AP Players of the Year

2 Nagurski Award winners

2 Thorpe Award winners

2 Butkus Award winners

A Bednarik Award winner

A Lombardi Award winner

A Walter Camp winner

2 O’Brien Award winners

A Maxwell Award winner

A Unitas Award winner

An Outland Trophy winner

A Mosi Tatupu Award winner

A 5-3 vs. a Texas program under Mack Brown that's also won a national title

A 43-2 record in Norman.

A 78-18 overall record (80-16 if '05 TT and '06 Oregon are officiated correctly).
*on pace to win 100 games faster than any coach in history.

3 Big XII Championships

A National Championship

The absolute worst thing that could ever happen to Oklahoma's program would be for Stoops to leave while Mack is still at Texas.

Bob's not above criticism (no one is) but he created all the high expectations we now currently share as a fanbase.

I hope Bob will stay for at least 15 years (Wilkinson's tenure lasted 17, Switzer's 16). If he does, I think we'll win another NC and several more BigXII titles in that span.

Whenever he does leave though, OU will most likely experience another 10 year span in which we're never better than 9-3ish and the fanbase will constantly compare the new guy(s) to Stoops in an unrealistic manner - ala Gibbs, Solich, etc.

Legendary coaches always get better in their fanbase's collective conscience after they're gone (Nebraska fans seem to have already forgotten it took Osborne 22 years to win his first championship).

I just hope The Monster isn't the reason that Bob leaves.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/10/2006, 11:38 PM
Plus Two Pro Bowlers come from OU now, Roy Williams and Tommie Harris and that won't hurt our national recognition

SoonerBorn68
10/10/2006, 11:41 PM
FEED ME!

Octavian
10/10/2006, 11:43 PM

OR ELSE!! :D

sooneron
10/10/2006, 11:47 PM
In less than 8 years

A Heisman winner

2 Heisman runners-up

27 All-Americans

2 AP Players of the Year

2 Nagurski Award winners

2 Thorpe Award winners

2 Butkus Award winners

A Bednarik Award winner

A Lombardi Award winner

A Walter Camp winner

2 O’Brien Award winners

A Maxwell Award winner

A Unitas Award winner

An Outland Trophy winner

A Mosi Tatupu Award winner

A 5-3 vs. a Texas program under Mack Brown that's also won a national title

A 43-2 record in Norman.

A 78-18 overall record (80-16 if '05 TT and '06 Oregon are officiated correctly).
*on pace to win 100 games faster than any coach in history.

3 Big XII Championships

A National Championship

The absolute worst thing that could ever happen to Oklahoma's program would be for Stoops to leave while Mack is still at Texas.

Bob's not above criticism (no one is) but he created all the high expectations we now currently share as a fanbase.

I hope Bob will stay for at least 15 years (Wilkinson's tenure lasted 17, Switzer's 16). If he does, I think we'll win another NC and several more BigXII titles in that span.

Whenever he does leave though, OU will most likely experience another 10 year span in which we're never better than 9-3ish and the fanbase will constantly compare the new guy(s) to Stoops in an unrealistic manner - ala Gibbs, Solich, etc.

Legendary coaches always get better in their fanbase's collective conscience after they're gone (Nebraska fans seem to have already forgotten it took Osborne 22 years to win his first championship).

I just hope The Monster isn't the reason that Bob leaves.
I don't want Bob to leave and I don't want to point out how many of those kids were at OU/ planning on going to OU before Bob showed up. However, he is not above reproach. 55-19 proves that.

Desert Sapper
10/10/2006, 11:56 PM
All is not lost because we dropped the RRS. The team showed some serious promise at times and a serious lack of discipline at others. Tell me when (other than the one RRS in 1996) that any Boo team showed serious promise. Tell me when a Boo team didn't show serious lack of discipline...the whole game. We'll be fine. With some breaks and more consistent, more mistake-free play, we could win the rest of our games and make it to at least the Cotton. OUr QB has started 6 games total in his career. OUr whole line (minus Messner) is Sophomores. OUr whole receiving corps (minus the TEs) is Sophomores. Take away some of those youth mistakes and we are still hanging with UT in the second half. More starts will translate into more discipline which will translate into wins. Nobody that we play the rest of the regular season is as good as UT.

Octavian
10/10/2006, 11:56 PM
I don't want Bob to leave and I don't want to point out haow many of those kids were at OU/ planning on going to OU before Bob showed up. However, he is not above reproach. 55-19 proves that.

oh, I agree.

And it's awesome to have high expectations. We should...we're OU.

It'd just be nice to have the widespread high expectations tempered w/ some widespread realism that no coach is gonna win every big game or make it to every national title game or beat his superpower rival every single year.

And, really...it probably is...if the internet had been around during the 70s and 80s and fans were able to jump on and type up their knee-jerk feelings, we would've probably had the same type of criticism for Switzer during several spans after his bad losses.

westcoast_sooner
10/12/2006, 12:03 AM
We just have serious expectations every friggin year because we are Oklahoma Football. We have 7 MNCs. We have 4 Heisman winners. We have a 47 game winning streak - something that will likely never be broken. We have stuff that most other teams can only envy. We have stuff that the team we lost to last weekend, will NEVER have.

Yeah, we're not perfect, we don't win every single game, and we all wish we did. We all want to run over every single opponent, win the MNC every year, but that isn't going to happen. But I'll take our coaches, Stoops, BJW, KW, and all the rest, and our players over anyone else's in the country.

That's just my opinion. The 90s were a nightmare, and since '99 we've been as close to the top as we can get. Sorry if I'm an eternal optimist and tend to see the Sooners through Crimson glasses, but that's the way it is.

BIG_IKE
10/12/2006, 07:04 AM
damn the 90's....I never want to live through nothing like that again.
Those losers to the South were unranked most of that decade and we only beat them twice!!

1990 UR Texas beats #4 Oklahoma
1991 UR Texas beats #6 Oklahoma
1992 UR Texas beats #16 Oklahoma
1993 #10 Oklahoma beats UR Texas
1994 #15 Texas beats #16 Oklahoma
1995 TIE BALLGAME
1996 UR Oklahoma beats #25 Texas
1997 UR Texas beats UR Oklahoma
1998 UR Texas beats UR Oklahoma
1999 #23 Texas beat UR Oklahoma

This is probably the worst football decade of my life.
My dad however, always tells me about a 13 year stretch from 1957 to 1971 where the Sooners only beat Texas once during that period. Thank God I was not around then..my Dad is a true fan.