PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody tell me the last time OU beat

stoopified
10/10/2006, 04:10 PM
a good team while having 5 turnovers and 11 penalties in the same game?

I have read many scenarios for why we lost the UT game.Some blame offensive play-calling,others say it was our defensive scheme,there are theories that we aren't talented enough or that Bob has lost his edge.the truth is simple: 5 turnovers and 11 penalties cost us the game.They gave UT extra posessions,better field position,stopped OU drives and kept UT drives going that should have been stopped.

You simply cannot have that many mistakes and beat an average team,much less a good one.So I return to my original question,I know I cannot tink of a game we won with 5 turnovers and double-digit penalties.I dcan't think of ANY game I have ever watched where the vwinner had 5 turnovers,11 penalties.

I do believe that barring another catastrophic deluge of penalties and turnovers we will finish 10-2 for the regular season.

sanantoniosooner
10/10/2006, 04:13 PM
yeah, turnovers is the reason.

What is the reason for the turnovers?

Lack of preparation? Lack of concentration? Lack of intensity?

We were out hustled in some cases. Texas looked like they wanted to win more at times in the game.

TrophyCollector
10/10/2006, 05:40 PM
yeah, turnovers is the reason.

What is the reason for the turnovers?

Lack of preparation? Lack of concentration? Lack of intensity?

Yes
Yes
Yes

Also add...

Poor play calling - coaches put PT in a position to have to almost throw a lateral pass. Constant 3rd and longs let UT lay back and pound receivers after they caught the ball.

Poor defensive scheme - we didn't scheme our players into position to grab a pick or get a blind side hit to cause a fumble.

BTW, 1 of the turnovers was completely meaningless and another was nearly meaningless. If neither team turns the ball over, we still lose. In that 2nd half, we could have had an M-1 tank blocking for AD, 10 extra possessions and we still wouldn't have scored. And if we did, they would have just burned us with a long TD pass or run the ball down our throats anyway.

For this season, UT has significantly better players, better coaches, had a better gameplan, executed better, hit harder - in other words, we got our asses beat by a better team.

Blaming this loss on turnovers or refs or anything else is weak. In a game the better team (Texas) usually forces the weaker team (OU) to turn the ball over and the better team (Texas) doesn't make mistakes and give the ball away like the weaker team (OU) does.

Face reality, this season they are a BETTER FOOTBALL TEAM - from Mack down to the assistant waterboy.

The Maestro
10/10/2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks to soonerstats.com.

OU had 4 TO's and 11 penalties in a Stoops game. vs. Texas Tech in 2000 in a 28-13 win during our national title run. Also had 2 TO's and 13 penalties against texas that year. Still managed to pull out a 49 point win.

Other games that stood out...4 TO's and 13 penalties against texas in 1999. 4 TO's and 7 penalties against texas in 2002. 12 penalties vs. KSU last year and 16 penalties vs. OSU last year.

The only other 5 TO game I could find? Yeah, that one in Florida against Leinart, Bush and gang.

OUinFLA
10/10/2006, 07:50 PM
I dont remember much about penalties, but we sure used to have a lot of turnovers back in the wishbone days. Usually on the pitch back. However, we were also ramming the ball down everyone's throat, and controlled the game thanks to some steller defenses.
I could be wrong, time has a way of fading my exactedness.

sanantoniosooner
10/10/2006, 07:55 PM
in '02 OU had 4 INTs, but UT returned the favor 3 times.

I think it's more realistic to look at the turnover comparison than just the straight number for OU.

4 to 3 is in a different zip code compared to 5 to 0

footballfanatic
10/10/2006, 09:05 PM
I don't have the names, but a college football team once won a game without making a first down.

OUDoc
10/10/2006, 09:29 PM
I don't have the names, but a college football team once won a game without making a first down.
texas against us this year?

footballfanatic
10/10/2006, 09:53 PM
texas against us this year?

Funny. I think it happened back in the nineties. Somewhere in the Southeast. A Div II game.

OUinFLA
10/10/2006, 10:19 PM
was the score 2-0 ?

birddog
10/10/2006, 11:07 PM
define "good."

cvsooner
10/10/2006, 11:22 PM
I dont remember much about penalties, but we sure used to have a lot of turnovers back in the wishbone days. Usually on the pitch back. However, we were also ramming the ball down everyone's throat, and controlled the game thanks to some steller defenses.
I could be wrong, time has a way of fading my exactedness.

No, we fumbled a lot in the wishbone days, but we didn't lose the ball. Luckiest sonsaguns I ever saw...bounce it off the turf and right into Joe Washington's hands...or Davis would have it come back to him. Crazy, but true.

BermudaSooner
10/11/2006, 11:06 AM
If neither team turns the ball over, we still lose.

Not sure you can say this for certain. We have the ball at mid-field in the first half, completely dominating the game. If AD's knee or elbow hits conclusively earlier, this may have been a very different game.

Momentum is huge in this game. OU dominated the play in the first half, and only led by 3. I'm sure Mack pointed out that they took our best punch, and they were still standing.

I'm certainly not saying that had AD not allegedly fumbled that we would have won, but the outcome most certainly would have been different.

Or, what if we do have the ball 1st and 10 at the 14 down by 11 with 9 minutes to go? The way we moved the ball down field, we could have easily scored--we at least get a field goal and are down 1 score. You don't think that may have changed the outcome significantly? That fumble completely deflated the team.

stoopified
10/12/2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks to soonerstats.com.

OU had 4 TO's and 11 penalties in a Stoops game. vs. Texas Tech in 2000 in a 28-13 win during our national title run. Also had 2 TO's and 13 penalties against texas that year. Still managed to pull out a 49 point win.

Other games that stood out...4 TO's and 13 penalties against texas in 1999. 4 TO's and 7 penalties against texas in 2002. 12 penalties vs. KSU last year and 16 penalties vs. OSU last year.

The only other 5 TO game I could find? Yeah, that one in Florida against Leinart, Bush and gang.Thanks for proving my point Maestro,It IS almost impossible to win with 5 TO's AND double digit penalties.I appreciate your research.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/12/2006, 09:48 AM
Not sure you can say this for certain. We have the ball at mid-field in the first half, completely dominating the game. If AD's knee or elbow hits conclusively earlier, this may have been a very different game.

Momentum is huge in this game. OU dominated the play in the first half, and only led by 3. I'm sure Mack pointed out that they took our best punch, and they were still standing.

I'm certainly not saying that had AD not allegedly fumbled that we would have won, but the outcome most certainly would have been different.

Or, what if we do have the ball 1st and 10 at the 14 down by 11 with 9 minutes to go? The way we moved the ball down field, we could have easily scored--we at least get a field goal and are down 1 score. You don't think that may have changed the outcome significantly? That fumble completely deflated the team.

The last 2 turnovers were probably icing on the cake but AD's fumble (which was the right call) was big. It was a combination of turnovers, missed opportunities and penalties. The PI call on Finley was brutal. AD has a big hole on that 3rd and 2 late in the first half but tripped on PT and we had to settle for a FG. Kelly had a TD but was underthrown. Gresham had a TD early in the second half but we didn't connect there. The fumble call on the pass to AD was just the final straw.

I give the Hook 'em credit for outplaying us in the second half and hitting a couple big plays. Overall our defense was very solid though. We had a chance to be up 14-7 or 21-7 at the half though and didn't capitalize.

That game is over and done with now. Now we just need to clobber ISU.