PDA

View Full Version : Corner Blitz

BermudaSooner
10/10/2006, 03:23 PM
In the Texas game and the Washington game, we sent Nic Harris off the corner at the QB. In both instances, Nic took a very inside line to the QB, the QB moved outside and hurt us. In the Texas game, it was a very costly mistake.

Do the coaches teach the corners to take that inside line, forcing the QB back to the outside (same side the corner came from)? I would think you would want to force the QB inside and into the push from the line.

Fugue
10/10/2006, 03:31 PM
Nic is always around the ball but in some cases just barely doesn't complete the play. That did cost 7. That was also his pic 6 that the ut reciever snatched away right?
14 point swing. So. Close.

snp
10/10/2006, 03:40 PM
Nic is always around the ball but in some cases just barely doesn't complete the play. That did cost 7. That was also his pic 6 that the ut reciever snatched away right?
14 point swing. So. Close.

That's being pretty generous. That would've been about a 105-yard interception with one of Texas's fastest WR's directly behind one of our slower DB's. I doubt a pic-6 would've been the outcome.

Fugue
10/10/2006, 03:48 PM
That's being pretty generous. That would've been about a 105-yard interception with one of Texas's fastest WR's directly behind one of our slower DB's. I doubt a pic-6 would've been the outcome.

picks it clean he's gone.
besides, didn't they score on that drive?

TXBOOMER
10/10/2006, 04:00 PM
I guess they are coaching him to take the nearest path which is the inside shoulder. If he playes the outside shoulder in both of those games you mentioned he would have absolutely blown up those QB's.

sooner518
10/10/2006, 04:20 PM
i dont know if it was Harris or someone else, but we did that a bunch against Oregon too. I was pulling my hair out every time it happenned

caphorns
10/10/2006, 04:34 PM
Harris is probably gone if he makes that pic. But he either didn't know where Pittman was or didn't know Pittman's capabilities. That should be a concern. We did score on the Sweed bomb 2 plays later. 14 point swing is dead on, but the credit should go to Pittman for making a great play on the ball. In general, receivers should win that battle 1on1. But Harris should not have been thinking pic with a taller receiver with better hands that close to him. At minimum, he should have made the tackle.

Harry Beanbag
10/10/2006, 04:42 PM
Our blitzers have been doing this all year and it's killing me.

There was one play, against Washington or Oregon, can't remember, where we had two guys coming from the same side. Instead of bracketing the QB and breaking him in half, they got in a single file line and both went for the inside shoulder, of course the QB slid outside and avoided both of them. :(

SOONERKAT
10/10/2006, 05:33 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the point of a corner blizt was to either 1.) get to the QB yourself, or 2.) force the QB up into the line to be swallowed whole by a DT or two that skipped lunch or a blitzing LB. I know this echoes what Bermuda said, but am I wrong? Nic obviously has the speed and has shown the abiltiy to get into the backfield, but has not been able to be as disruptive as he could be. Of course, there is the concern that DJ would be left in one-on-one if this is used more often.

snp
10/10/2006, 05:51 PM
picks it clean he's gone.
besides, didn't they score on that drive?

I thought you were talking about the actual TD play that they scored on Nic. I don't recall the other play so you're probably right.

arlington
10/10/2006, 06:25 PM
Soonerkat you are correct..Anytime you are the contain man on a given side, you attack the outside shoulder..Shelby was a terrific blitzer off the corner because even when he missed, he forced the QB to step up intoi the pocket..Everyone in the front 7 bhas slanted the other way to free up Nic to blitz from the outside so when he screws it up and the QB gets outside, we are scrambling and in big trouble.

BermudaSooner
10/11/2006, 07:37 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the point of a corner blizt was to either 1.) get to the QB yourself, or 2.) force the QB up into the line to be swallowed whole by a DT or two that skipped lunch or a blitzing LB. I know this echoes what Bermuda said, but am I wrong? Nic obviously has the speed and has shown the abiltiy to get into the backfield, but has not been able to be as disruptive as he could be. Of course, there is the concern that DJ would be left in one-on-one if this is used more often.

That's what I thought too--although I didn't exactly play Div 1 ball, so that's why I'm asking. Is he being taught that way, or is he consistently making a mistake?

Taxman71
10/11/2006, 10:16 AM
Aside from the bad blitzing angle, I cannot stand to see our blitzing DB or LB come to a complete stop 3 feet from the QB every time the QB pretends to throw or make a move. I could tolerate it from speedy QBs like Wash and Oregon, but this happened numerous times against McCoy.

Tear Down This Wall
10/11/2006, 12:28 PM
Nic Harris is a safety. He's not real good at doing things corner's do. But, don't tell BJW and Bob. Reminds me of another safety playing corner back in '96 by the name of Fogle.