PDA

View Full Version : Salary Negotiation Knowledge Possesors

royalfan5
10/10/2006, 03:09 PM
So I will likely have to negotiate a salary in the near future. I have not had to do this before and I was wondering if any one had any useful tips.
TIA

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/10/2006, 03:10 PM
Do you know anyone else in your position, with your experience, and how much do they make? That would make things easier

sanantoniosooner
10/10/2006, 03:12 PM
Demand a bowl full of M&Ms with all of the brown ones picked out every day.

KABOOKIE
10/10/2006, 03:14 PM
Get a job offer from a competing company.

Petro-Sooner
10/10/2006, 03:15 PM
And a company car.

Viking Kitten
10/10/2006, 03:20 PM
Tell the person offering you the job you've got all the dirt on him/her, including the embarrassing photos. Then just sit back with a little smirk on your face.

Trust me... everyone's got a skeleton in their closet. Just convice them you know what it is. They'll pay you whatever you want to keep it quiet.

UNSeeN_
10/10/2006, 03:22 PM
Whatever it is, go HIGH. Once they have u employed, u won't be able to negotiate salary any further. That's it. Finito until u get a minimal raise. Get what u can and don't feel bad. They'll counter offer if they don't accept what you want.

Viking Kitten
10/10/2006, 03:26 PM
Put your salary request in writing, like this:

"U give me 55k/year pls k thx! 45K is joke LOL"

SCOUT
10/10/2006, 03:26 PM
Whatever it is, go HIGH. Once they have u employed, u won't be able to negotiate salary any further. That's it. Finito until u get a minimal raise. Get what u can and don't feel bad. They'll counter offer if they don't accept what you want.

I would recommend caution with this approach. If you go too high they will likely just remove you from consideration. People who take jobs that pay substantially below their asking price make for very unhappy employees. They may counter offer but may also have some reservations. You also can easily negotiate salary when you are employed. In fact, you probably have a stronger case once employed. Of course, this is assuming you are adding value and are perceived as difficult to replace.

With that said, I would do some research on job sites to see what companies are offering for a similar position. It isn't going to give you a clear cut answer but it can help narrow the range.

yermom
10/10/2006, 03:30 PM
yeah, it depends on the place... apparently some places give raises out like candy

unfortunately i do not work at one of those places

i guess you could try to figure out what kinda place you are dealing with ;)

soonernation
10/10/2006, 03:31 PM
Sleep with the boss’s daughter.

handcrafted
10/10/2006, 03:31 PM
There is no substitute for lots of research in this area. Hit the innerweb with all your might. They will lowball you so unless you are accurately informed you might succumb.

Check to see if there are any outsourcing/search firms in your area and see if they can give you some numbers.

Mjcpr
10/10/2006, 03:32 PM
There is no substitute for lots of research in this area. Hit the innerweb with all your might. They will lowball you so unless you are accurately informed you might succumb.

If that's what I think it is, don't do it unless you're really desperate for work.

sanantoniosooner
10/10/2006, 03:33 PM
If that's what I think it is, don't do it unless you're really desperate for work.
You think everything is that.

BoogercountySooner
10/10/2006, 03:48 PM
Are you a Nebraska fan?

royalfan5
10/10/2006, 03:50 PM
Are you a Nebraska fan?
yes, but I am willing to negotiate on that in exchange for more money.

BoogercountySooner
10/10/2006, 03:53 PM
yes, but I am willing to negotiate on that in exchange for more money.

Wear a Sooner hat they will think your worth more!:D

Hook line and sinker!

colleyvillesooner
10/10/2006, 04:14 PM
I asked for more and they compromised by meeting me in the middle. After that, I asked when the evaluation was. They said once a year on your hire date. So I asked if I could have a review after 6 months to evaluate how I was doing, and then again at a year. They agreed and I got raises both times.