PDA

View Full Version : Is Iowa State a threat at all..

Soonerus
10/10/2006, 12:25 PM
...does not seem like it....

The Maestro
10/10/2006, 12:26 PM
I hope we are as good as Toledo, Northern Iowa, McNeese State or whatever crappy team took them to overtime. This isn't your 1990 Cyclones team.

XingTheRubicon
10/10/2006, 12:47 PM
...does not seem like it....

kiss

of

death

JohnnyMack
10/10/2006, 12:54 PM
They have a mobile QB and some studs at WR. I don't think we win by more than 10.

TexasLidig8r
10/10/2006, 12:55 PM
Ioway State will be trying to match Blythe up on Wolfe all day long. If Ioway State is successful at this, it could be a ball game.

JohnnyMack
10/10/2006, 01:02 PM
Ioway State will be trying to match Blythe up on Wolfe all day long. If Ioway State is successful at this, it could be a ball game.

You're basing this off the ONE play that Sweed burned DJ on I take it? The play where we were late on a blitz, DJ had man coverage and got burnt by a 6'4" WR? Other than that play your passing attack was marvelous with those 75 yards you rolled up on us. :rolleyes:

King Crimson
10/10/2006, 01:04 PM
if we come out flat/Texas hangover or continue making mistakes....yes, they are a threat.

KABOOKIE
10/10/2006, 01:21 PM
I hope we hold them to under 240 yards........

BIG_IKE
10/10/2006, 01:24 PM
Yes, they are a threat. Their offense is pretty potent. The QB is one of the better ones we will face. It's all about momentum though. If we come out and hit em in the mouth and dont stop we will be good.

I watched them play Texas, and they stayed with em momentarily, until the momentum got killed and then it was curtains for them. as long as DJ does not get burnt more than once for a score we will be fine.

C&CDean
10/10/2006, 01:29 PM
I'm a lot more worried about the Sooners beating the Sooners than I am Iowa State. So far, we're our own stiffest competition.

TexasLidig8r
10/10/2006, 01:33 PM
You're basing this off the ONE play that Sweed burned DJ on I take it? The play where we were late on a blitz, DJ had man coverage and got burnt by a 6'4" WR? Other than that play your passing attack was marvelous with those 75 yards you rolled up on us. :rolleyes:

No.. how about Wolfe's dubious past history... the consistent ragging on why a high school running back is playing corner back.. how many times did he get roasted last year?.. (was he also responsible for coverage on Oregon's last touchdown pass?)

Perhaps it's also based on that Blythe is generally regarded as one of the, if not the, top wide receiver in the Big XII and the Ioway State quarterback is regarded as one of the better quarterbacks in the Big XII this year (Although that may not be saying much).

Perhaps its also based in part upon Blythe's performance against A&M last year when he caught 4 touchdown passes... Or the fact that the Big XII coaches voted him first team WR... or that he had a 1000 yard receiving year last year... or last year he averaged 19 yards a reception.

Perhaps, it's also based on the realization that Texas' passing yards may have been down because we also didn't need to pass in the 4th quarter?

You sound like a man in desperate need of a Nordstrom's or Stanley Korshak run! :D

JohnnyMack
10/10/2006, 01:36 PM
No.. how about Wolfe's dubious past history... the consistent ragging on why a high school running back is playing corner back.. how many times did he get roasted last year?.. (was he also responsible for coverage on Oregon's last touchdown pass?)

You sound like a man in desperate need of a Nordstrom's or Stanley Korshak run! :D

No he wasn't. It was Harris, the same guy who was late on the blitz that allowed Gomer to complete the TD pass to Sweed.

And yes. I am.

boomer214
10/10/2006, 01:44 PM
yeah, blame nic harris for wolfe getting beat 75 or 80% of the time he's in man coverage

TJKDone
10/10/2006, 01:44 PM
I'm a lot more worried about the Sooners beating the Sooners than I am Iowa State. So far, we're our own stiffest competition.

You are facing the best QB in the Big 12 IMO. I think they'll score some and maybe a lot regardless of how well you play on D. You don't have the horses of years past at any position IMO.

However, with AP you should be able to run/playaction all day long and I think the Sooners beating Sooners comes in on this side of the ball big time. If you guys false start and a couple get away from Paul a relatively easy game could get away from you.

I say Stoops has them ready and relatively penalty free.

OU 34 ISU 21

Hook'em

footballfanatic
10/10/2006, 01:56 PM

Perhaps it's also based on that Blythe is generally regarded as one of the, if not the, top wide receiver in the Big XII and the Ioway State quarterback is regarded as one of the better quarterbacks in the Big XII this year (Although that may not be saying much).

Perhaps its also based in part upon Blythe's performance against A&M last year when he caught 4 touchdown passes... Or the fact that the Big XII coaches voted him first team WR... or that he had a 1000 yard receiving year last year... or last year he averaged 19 yards a reception.

Perhaps, it's also based on the realization that Texas' passing yards may have been down because we also didn't need to pass in the 4th quarter?

The Iowa State QB is top-notch. He doesn't have much a suporting cast around him. What they did well against Texas was have the QB roll one way, then throw deep down the other side of the field. The receiver is good, but their biggest gains were to the other receiver. On defense, they are a marginal team. Expect AD to have a big second half after they tire.

crawfish
10/10/2006, 02:01 PM

A slight push to gain separation helped, too. ;)

The Maestro
10/10/2006, 02:01 PM
You are facing the best QB in the Big 12 IMO.

Well then your opinion sucks donkey balls.

TexasLidig8r
10/10/2006, 02:11 PM

He studied the Malcolm Kelly "Push em back, Push em back, waayyyyy back at Oregon" playbook! ;)

Luthor
10/10/2006, 02:17 PM
They have a mobile QB and some studs at WR. I don't think we win by more than 10.

You're right about their QB and WRs. Meyer(?) is as mobile a QB as we've faced and he makes good reads and throws if he has the time. I was surprised by their inept OL however which has 4 5th year seniors. Your DEs should be able to give their OTs fits.
They have 1 WR who is as good as anyone in the country and he plays like it. You guys have considerably better speed than they have and that should give you a significant edge.

MRNOTDUCKS
10/10/2006, 02:23 PM
Regarding Blythe, he is the real deal. One of those TD catches against A&M was an incredible one-handed grab. He is NFL material IMHO.

Austin Flynn is also a good receiver as well. Bret Meyer is the most complete QB in the Big XII.

I'll be pulling for the Sooners, but I think you might have your hands full this weekend.

Scott D
10/10/2006, 02:41 PM
since rus says they aren't, obviously they are.

With our (so far) inability to get the quarterback consistently that makes Meyer dangerous. Blythe's size/speed make him a likely candidate to Rashaun Woods us.

Basically if the same D-Line that has played in every game except MTSU shows up, it could be a long day.

JohnnyMack
10/10/2006, 03:26 PM

I didn't wanna be "that fan". ;)

fwsooner22
10/10/2006, 03:33 PM
He studied the Malcolm Kelly "Push em back, Push em back, waayyyyy back at Oregon" playbook! ;)

Good Gosh..........Give it a week off Lid................Please

StuIsTheMan
10/10/2006, 04:35 PM
In the two losses this year that has been the case, Sooners beating the Sooners. (Excluding ref calls that is) But even then we had a chance to win and choked. I just hope they can get it together and finish really strong. I WANT OREGON IN THE HOLIDAY BOWL....I WANT BLOOD DAMN IT!

Sorry got a little out of hand there. But AD needs to start stronger than he has. All these up the gut plays they did against Tejas were unreal. The game I am worried about is the Cowgirl game at the end of the season...that one has been a tough game for Stoops, historically speaking.

SOONERKAT
10/10/2006, 05:03 PM
The in-laws are all from Iowa so I have watched quite a bit of UI and ISU games over the last few years. The D is not as stout as we have seen, but the offense is for real. The two receivers, Blythe and Flynn, are very atheletic and don't drop balls. The QB is a dual threat and has the playmakers to make this a long day for the Sooner D. we simply cannot turn the ball over and keep the D on the field or we could easily be looking at starting confernce play 0-2. I as big of an OU homer as the next, but this team has the ability to make it a game. As an aside, AD should run for about 250, and with his added motivation, he probably will.

Stitch Face
10/10/2006, 05:56 PM
However, with AP you should be able to run/playaction all day long and I think the Sooners beating Sooners comes in on this side of the ball big time.

Thank God for AP.

sooneron
10/10/2006, 09:46 PM
if we come out flat/Texas hangover or continue making mistakes....yes, they are a threat.
I remember texas hangovers back in the day that would give Switz fits.

I think we come out hungry in this one. OUr team knows that they should have played better against texas- the D was all around good and the offense shot itself in the foot. I predict a 17-21 pt win.

38/45- 24

critical_phil
10/10/2006, 10:18 PM
fyi, "texass hangover" during stoops era:

51-6 vs. aTm
41-31 @ KSU
38-10 @ KU
49-3 vs. ISU
34-13 vs. Mizzou
31-21 @ KSU
19-3 @ KU

Rhino
10/10/2006, 11:22 PM
Iowa State isn't a pushover. However, we should beat them pretty easily. They'll get their points, but we'll get more than our fair share.

Blythe, Davis and Flynn are a great group of receivers, with Blythe being one of the best receivers around. They'll be a handful for our DBs.

Iowa State gives up 378 yards per game (232 through the air, 145 on the ground per game). Comparatively (for as bad as people rip OU's defense) OU only gives up 303 per game (174 through the air, 128 on the ground per game).

Sugalean
10/11/2006, 01:43 AM
I watched the ISU/NU game last saturday. The Clones have no defense. NU had 2 backs that don't start, rush for over a hundy. A.D. should be licking his chops. Add to that, they are last in the Big XII in pass defense (109th in nation), last in total defense before last weekend. Linebackers are the strong suit of the defense but they are kinda small. McCarney fired his saftey and played a true frosh in his place last week. Then they lost a linebacker in practice mid last week for the year, so they moved the disposed safety to WS linebacker. NU's running backs were bigger than 7 guys on the field on defense. The Huskers played it pretty conservative opting to pound the rock at them all game, went flat in the 3rd qtr w/poor execution and finished the game with a long drive to put the last nail in the coffin. ISU got a oh by the way TD at the end vs backups. 28-14 final but it could of and should of been worse.

On offense the Clones do have weapons but appeared to be having problems up front. Thus no running game. They became one dimentional and NU played mostly pass defense schemes and concentrated on putting pressure on QB Meyers. They ran mostly a shotgun spead but have a multiple offense featuring multiple formations. They will run anything from screens to reverses from about any formation. The Offensive coordinator (Barney Cotton) is a product and former player of Tom Osborne. The Sooners need to watchout for the bootleg pass, Cotton loves that play especially in the red zone. The RB Stevie Hicks is my homeboy and not a speed demon but more of a slasher. The WRs are tall, not particularly real fast but they do run good routes and know how to get separation. Watch out for another homeboy #81 Jon Davis who is having a good year.

The refs missed a TD ISU had when WR Flynn (a converted QB) caught a flag route in the EZ but the ref was out of position and ruled him OB. Replays clearly show he was in bounds. To make matters worse the replay booth ppl did not review the play. They also lost another TD on a ticky tac off. P.I. call on Blythe. So the Sooners were not the only ones looking at officials crossed eyed last weekend.

The QB Meyers can run but he has been staying at home more this yr. If you put pressure on him, he will throw it away instead of taking a sack. He also danced quite a bit on his passes after he was hit a few times.

I see OU winning by at least 21 if they take care of the rock.

Fraggle145
10/11/2006, 01:54 AM

We have faced mobile qb's all year... who besides Malcolm in the middle wasn't mobile? I agree with Dean. If we get the refs... I mean play penalty free like we did in the MTSU game then we win, if not see quote 1.

BIG_IKE
10/11/2006, 04:22 AM
Actually, Malcolm is more mobile than I thought he was...but yeah, I dont think we have faced a stationary QB yet..

Soonerus
10/11/2006, 09:46 AM
Sounds like from all of your reports, OU better get serious about Iowa State, they are a very capable team...

OUstud
10/11/2006, 03:01 PM
Take a look at ISU the past couple of years. In 2004, coming off of a 2-10 season, they started 2-4, 0-3 in the Big XII. Around mid-October, they got it together and came within a Bret Culberson blown FG vs. Mizzou of winning the Big XII North. In 2005, they started 3-3, 0-3 in the Big XII. Again, they got it together in mid-October and came within a Bret Culberson blown FG vs. KU of winning the Big XII North. It is mid-October, and while I don't think these Cyclones are the same teams of the past couple of years, I could definately see them giving us a game.

Of course, in 2002 I'm sure we all thought they'd give us a game in Norman, and we all know how that turned out.

william_brasky
10/11/2006, 05:48 PM
If their QB and D have their best game of the season, then yes.

We should be able to run, run, run the ball on them, especially second half.

Close first half, with us pulling away in 2nd.

OU 34
ISU 17

Soonerus
10/11/2006, 09:08 PM
I just think at home we will control the game....

Geekboy
10/11/2006, 09:14 PM
I didn't think Arkansas was a threat at all against Auburn at Auburn.

Whoa! And that wasn't a lucky win. Arkansas handed them their asses.

They also handed LSU a gift wrapped package which LSU promptly blew against Florida a few hours later.

Soonerus
10/11/2006, 09:17 PM
I should first ask where is the replay crew from before completing my final analysis...

Texas Golfer
10/11/2006, 10:13 PM

Very true! We're capable of beating ourselves in all of our remaining games.

goingoneight
10/11/2006, 10:16 PM
Thank God for AP.

Is it too late to redshirt AD, cuz everyone seems to think AP is All-American potential?

goingoneight
10/11/2006, 10:18 PM
I remember texas hangovers back in the day that would give Switz fits.

I think we come out hungry in this one. OUr team knows that they should have played better against texas- the D was all around good and the offense shot itself in the foot. I predict a 17-21 pt win.

38/45- 24

Having to drive the ball over 90 yards on a National Champion defense didn't help...

Texas Golfer
10/11/2006, 10:18 PM
AD should run for about 250, and with his added motivation, he probably will.

Unfortunately, AD will probably have to average 250 yards a game from here on out to be considered for the Heisman.