PDA

View Full Version : Does this reasoning make any sense??

Crimsontothecore
10/9/2006, 10:00 PM
I've heard it everywhere the last two days...co-workers, sports talk radio hosts, message boards. Lots of people have the opinion that losing to UT destroys OU's recruiting in Texas.
I've come to the conclusion that that theory is BS! Here's why:
1. We are on a two game losing streak to UT even though we have some of those top tier texas players that it is said we will no longer get.
2. We won a NC in 2000 with a roster that didn't include the best players from Texas.
3. Even after losing 5 straight to OU, UT managed to get players good enough to win it all last year.

In my opinion the 2000 team and Adrian Peterson are two great examples of why good coaching is far more important than great players.
OU didn't win 5 in a row over UT bacause we had better players. We had superior coaching. I have full confidence in Bob's ability but i think he needs to take a serious look at his staff and make changes if need be.

sanantoniosooner
10/9/2006, 10:02 PM
recruiting is my last worry right now. UT usually gets the cream of the crop from Texas. That was/is/will be true.

birddog
10/9/2006, 10:02 PM
there's just too many quality players in texass and elsewhere to not get good recruits. the important thing is what the coaches do with them from year 1 to year 4.

Blues1
10/9/2006, 10:04 PM
IF we Win out ..?? -- Probably No Coaching Changes -- IF we Don't Look for something to Happen...JMHO again..!!

rainiersooner
10/9/2006, 10:10 PM
Not to mention that the 2000 team was recruited by some pretty sorry coaches on the backs of some pretty sorry W-L records.

GreaterState
10/9/2006, 10:15 PM
I agree that this recruiting-killing theory is at least highly overrated. The 2000 walloping didn't really change Vince Young's mind about coming to Texas. That's only one example, but I think more is made of this than needs to be -- one of those things that gets talked about a lot because there's a lot of boards and talk radio airtime to fill.

soonerlaw
10/10/2006, 04:13 PM
Schools only have what, 20-25 scholarships to fill each year, and I bet there are hundreds of quality football high school football players in Texas each year. I think there are plenty for both UT and OU. If we start losing recruits to A&M or Tech, then it might be worrisome.

One major way it does affect recruiting is a once in a lifetime player like AD. A player of that caliber deciding right now might decide on UT as opposed to OU, and that one player could make a huge difference in a program. But as many 5 star recruits there are that don't pan out, it is hardly something to worry about.

caphorns
10/10/2006, 04:27 PM
Bob always comes through with a good class. We'll see what happens but I bet he can tread water for long enough, especially if it's just a two year cycle.

Scotty
10/10/2006, 04:28 PM
don't take this the wrong way I'm not whining about our play calling, but would it be likely that our next offensive coordinator is RIGHT under our nose?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/10/2006, 04:37 PM
don't take this the wrong way I'm not whining about our play calling, but would it be likely that our next offensive coordinator is RIGHT under our nose?

A mustache?

Scotty
10/10/2006, 04:40 PM
silly me.

don't take this the wrong way I'm not whining about our play calling, but would it be likely that our next offensive coordinator is [figurative language]RIGHT under our nose?[/figurative language]

Rogue
10/10/2006, 04:40 PM
JH?

Scotty
10/10/2006, 04:41 PM
It would make sense wouldn't it?

Assuming that KW won't have some sort of a major screw job in the near future.

washington's fave
10/10/2006, 04:42 PM
I agree, Big Bob needs to re-evaluate his coaching staff. But I think all the game day coach's are solid. The coach that needs to be jettisoned is the coach that keeps running off all the o-line & d-line & stuff-backers. We have had some talented players leave for the all encompassing reason of not being tough enuff in one man's eyes. His eye's need to be off the OU campus. Just think if we still had BIG MO Dampeer - he may have been a dull light bulb but boy did he make plays when it was game time. And remember all the o-line players that have left this team the last couple of years!! He might be able to get players in tip top condition but he should not be allowed to run good players off just because they do not fit his mind set of a tough player.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
silly me.

don't take this the wrong way I'm not whining about our play calling, but would it be likely that our next offensive coordinator is [figurative language]RIGHT under our nose?[/figurative language]

Well I like Kevin Wilson Ok but if this were 8-10 years ago the mustache would be an improvement. :P

stoopified
don't take this the wrong way I'm not whining about our play calling, but would it be likely that our next offensive coordinator is RIGHT under our nose?I assume you mean Heupel?While I agree that may be true,it will be a while before we hire a new o-coordinator (4-5 years).

Scotty
10/10/2006, 04:46 PM
Yes I wasn't suggesting we make a OC change anytime soon. Just that the next one might be JH.

picasso
10/10/2006, 04:46 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80232

Stitch Face
10/10/2006, 04:51 PM
IF we Win out ..?? -- Probably No Coaching Changes -- IF we Don't Look for something to Happen...JMHO again..!!

What's up? Have you stopped R' over there for some reason?

BIG_IKE
10/10/2006, 05:01 PM
If OU and Texas both got 25 scholarships a year that would still only be enough to get HALF of the TEXAS TOP 100....

Get over it folks, recruiting is about relationships....getting your recruits to produce is about coaching.

As long as UT and OU keep having winning seasons they are gonna get great players. And when you stop winning, you have your tradition to fall back on. we will be just fine.

Like it has previously beenj said..Texas generally gets who they want out of Texas. They arelready have like 23 committments for 07'...they arent even looking at Seniors anymore, they are working on the 08' recruiting class. Not a bad idea..gives them more time to focus on football in the spring.

boomrsoonr
10/10/2006, 05:15 PM
I'm pretty sure a good number of the 2000 NC team came out of Texas. And we all know how well that series turned out during the 90's.

cvsooner
10/10/2006, 05:32 PM
In some ways, it's almost a boon. "With kids like you," coaches can say, "we can beat Texas and win the National Championship. We're only missing a couple of pieces. And players like you can make a difference."