PDA

View Full Version : I hear a lot of Bitching... on why OU lost to UT

EstablishedSooner1967
10/9/2006, 09:48 PM
Quit complaining about anything other than the following.

1. turnovers
2. penalties
3. reffs... if we would score more we would take the reffs out of the game.
4. CB play!

thats why OU lost... they moved the ball AD, and PT played well... enough to win if there were no TOs. UT has something like 224 total yards... they only had 50 yards to travel for scores...

sanantoniosooner
10/9/2006, 09:52 PM
It's my team and I'll cry if I want to
cry if I want to
cry if I want to

goingoneight
10/9/2006, 09:57 PM
That's exactly why people are bitching... Have you read any of these threads??? Basically, we are all seeing this team collapse in key moments and we're not sunshine pumping as usual...

Gearhart28
10/9/2006, 10:12 PM
They were dominated physically in the 2nd half, became frustrated and quit. It's not exactly a paradox.

rainiersooner
10/9/2006, 10:16 PM

1. turnovers
2. penalties
4. CB play!

thats why OU lost... they moved the ball AD, and PT played well... enough to win if there were no TOs. UT has something like 224 total yards... they only had 50 yards to travel for scores...

Other than 1-4, what are people bitching about? That pretty sums up my bitch.

westcoast_sooner
10/9/2006, 10:30 PM
I'm absolutely sick that we lost to those guys two years in a row. But it all boils down to execution, or lack thereof. We turned the ball over 5 times. We had 11 penalties. We fumbled the ball 6 times overall. That's 3 drives completely stopped, and 2 more that put us in at least a bad long yardage situation. We got lucky on that one long pass to Iglesias that he fumbled out of bounds.

Our D gave up some big pass plays, but total yardage against us was only 265. If we give up 265 and don't turn the ball over at all, we probably win that game.

To me, that doesn't sound like lack of talent, it sounds like lack of concentration. You can criticize the coaching if you want, but I'm thinking that this is more a couple of other things.

First, I think that it's youth. Most of the guys starting are freshmen and sophomores. Our O-Line has only one senior, and the rest are young. Our defensive tackles are young and inexperienced. Our receivers are all young as well.

Second, I wonder how much impact the week off had. We played more like we did against UAB, than we should have against a big time arch rival. We didn't take care of the ball, and didn't seem to have focus sometimes. IMO, you can make the case that this is also due to youth, though the coaches should have the team ready to play, regardless.

I think one of the things that hurts the most is that we all realize that AD won't play in another RRS, and we all wanted him to go out with a win.

RiddlerOK
10/10/2006, 09:56 AM
Yep and we still need a quarterback for next year too. Better hope we grow up soon because we won't have excuses any more in the areas where we are currently struggling.

I want to give kudos to Jacob Gutierrez for his head's up fumble recovery on the Texas kick. What a disaster it would have been if he hadn't made the play. He exemplified what concentration and desire are all about.

soonerlaw
10/10/2006, 04:07 PM
I want to give kudos to Jacob Gutierrez for his head's up fumble recovery on the Texas kick. What a disaster it would have been if he hadn't made the play. He exemplified what concentration and desire are all about.

You are absolutely right.

Rocker
10/10/2006, 08:13 PM

1. turnovers
2. penalties
4. CB play!

Interesting!

Crimsontothecore
10/10/2006, 08:50 PM
With 5 turnovers and 11 penalties, ANY other Big12 team would have lost by 35.

jdsooner
10/10/2006, 10:02 PM
They were dominated physically in the 2nd half, became frustrated and quit. It's not exactly a paradox.

I didn't see anyone quit. I am tired of this ridiculous criticism from people who sat on their butts and watched the game. We didn't quit; we made mistakes that contributed to a loss.

This was a game in which OU led in yardage and time of possession. Thompson was sacked twice. Texas punted 7 times, while OU punted 5 times. Does that sound like physical domination to you?

The important stats: Texas had 3 penalties for 30 yards and OU had 11 penalties for 72 yards. OU lost 3 fumbles and had 2 passes intercepted. Texas had 0 fumbles and 0 interceptions. This was not a game in which OU was dominated or a game in which the Sooners quit. It was a game that was lost because of turnovers and penalties.

I do not believe that the referees did a good job. Do you? I do not think that was the only reason or the main reason we lost the game.

I find your post offensive.

sooneron
10/10/2006, 10:07 PM
Try not to get offended by a 6 post troll

Texas Golfer
10/10/2006, 10:12 PM
I find it very humorous that the UT fans think they dominated us when they had over 100 fewer yards and less time of possession.

I realize that the team with the most points wins and the one with the less points loses but UT didn't beat us. We beat ourselves. The officials, once again, do get the assist.

LiteCOL
10/10/2006, 10:13 PM
Just a thought, but does anyone remember the last time OU lined up and just got beat by a better team? I don't think it happned last Saturday (the players just didn't execute).

When was the last time OU got beat and you said "If we play that game 10 times, they beat us 7 or 8."

I'd say texas last year, but before that, I'd have to go back to Bob's first year and say maybe Notre Dame or texas.

I don't want to talk about Blake's or Howard's time here...

sooneron
10/10/2006, 10:18 PM
One thing that I am tired of asmuch as the conspiracy theorists, are people thinking they have a right to tell me how to bitch or be a fan. I am an excellent fan/supporter. People tell me that they learn about the game when they watch a game with me. I don't know it all, but I don't tell people how to get over a crappy loss.

sooneron
10/10/2006, 10:19 PM
Just a thought, but does anyone remember the last time OU lined up and just got beat by a better team? I don't think it happned last Saturday (the players just didn't execute).

When was the last time OU got beat and you said "If we play that game 10 times, they beat us 7 or 8."

I'd say texas last year, but before that, I'd have to go back to Bob's first year and say maybe Notre Dame or texas.

I don't want to talk about Blake's or Howard's time here...
Not texas in 99, but Co. they beat us- there was no question in that game. Same for nd, we had the scoreboard at one point.

LiteCOL
10/10/2006, 10:25 PM
Not texas in 99, but Co. they beat us- there was no question in that game. Same for nd, we had the scoreboard at one point.

Yeah, I forgot about Colorado. We should have won the Notre Dame game, but if we played them 10 times, they would have beat us 7.

So, what does that mean? Why have we been losing to teams we should beat? And why lately in big games?

sooneron
10/10/2006, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I forgot about Colorado. We should have won the Notre Dame game, but if we played them 10 times, they would have beat us 7.

So, what does that mean? Why have we been losing to teams we should beat? And why lately in big games?
Youth? I have now watched the first three quarters in last week's game (on the bike) when I can really pay attention with no beer/other fans. They brought up an interesting stat- TWO SENIORS on offense. Do I wish that we would not have gotten beat on the two pass plays? Yes, but OUr D was really good on Saturday. Really good. I also think that mack and greg are back to their old ways- that 3rd down pass to Shipley in the old days would have been batted down by Strait or Woolf. I think we are close back there with Marcus, Reggie and Nic.

sooneron
10/10/2006, 10:34 PM

Prolly, 6 times. Jarius Jackson was good for 1 out of every two games that year.
We had no rushing attack to keep OUr D off the field that year.

soonervet
10/10/2006, 10:34 PM
I would say the "game we do not speak of" was one in which we took it from a better team. I say out of 10 games, we would be lucky to split.

LiteCOL
10/10/2006, 10:48 PM
Youth? I have now watched the first three quarters in last week's game (on the bike) when I can really pay attention with no beer/other fans. They brought up an interesting stat- TWO SENIORS on offense. Do I wish that we would not have gotten beat on the two pass plays? Yes, but OUr D was really good on Saturday. Really good. I also think that mack and greg are back to their old ways- that 3rd down pass to Shipley in the old days would have been batted down by Strait or Woolf. I think we are close back there with Marcus, Reggie and Nic.

I'll buy the youth part for last Saturday. The linemen who were jumping were Sophomores. Peterson's fumble was uncharacteristic, the "lateral" was questionable at best, and Iglesias is a youngster. The interceptions were late, and one of them looked like the receiver turned the wrong way.

My plan now - enjoy the rest of the season and watch OU finish 11-2!

sooneron
10/10/2006, 10:56 PM
I won't be surprised if we lose another on the road, but I think we have a decent chance to finish strong and win out.
It's all about perspective. What did you think we would finish at on Aug 3rd after the Bomar story broke?