PDA

View Full Version : Little Known Fact in our 47 Game Win Streak..

Blues1
10/9/2006, 07:10 PM
Win number 46 - Sat, Nov 02 1957- Kansas State at Manhattan, Kan.
OU 13 - K-State 0 (W)

Bud Drops the The Successful Spilt T for this game and goes to the "Single Wing" to beat Kansas State 13 to 0 .....

Yes we could have beat Kansas State probably with any formation back in those days...But could you imagine any Coach today going to a totally different offense during the middle of the season and Winning at their house...??

The next week at Mizzou back to the Spilt T and beat them 39 to 14...

My Point - If you have "THE TALENT" you can Win with any system or formation -- Bud Wilkinson thought out of "The Box"

If you think The Ninja Formation was different - Bud would also use some other weird formations that made the Ninja formation look normal....I just think sometimes we get caught up in thinking we need a "System" to be succesful -- Football History doesn't always say it's that way...

The Surprise Factor can Still Work....!!

Now I'm Rockin'

Octavian
10/9/2006, 07:12 PM
Win number 46 - Sat, Nov 02 1957- Kansas State at Manhattan, Kan.
OU 13 - K-State 0 (W)

Bud Drops the The Successful Spilt T for this game and goes to the "Single Wing" to beat Kansas State 13 to 0 .....

Yes we could have beat Kansas State probably with any formation back in those days...But could you imagine any Coach today going to a totally different offense during the middle of the season and Winning at their house...??

The next week at Mizzou back to the Spilt T and beat them 39 to 14...

My Point - If you have "THE TALENT" you can Win with any system or formation -- Bud Wilkinson thought out of "The Box"

If you think The Ninja Formation was different - Bud would also use some other weird formations that made the Ninja formation look normal....I just think sometimes we get caught up in thinking we need a "System" to be succesful -- Football History doesn't always say it's that way...

The Surprise Factor can Still Work....!!

Now I'm Rockin'

but then we lost to an unheralded, unranked Notre Dame team two weeks later at home...

just sayin'

Blues1
10/9/2006, 07:14 PM
Yes - But maybe the Single Wing Idea got us past Mizzou...???

OU Adonis
10/9/2006, 08:10 PM
OU switched to the wishbone midseason 1970.

OU stats in 1970

Yards rushing/game 269
Yards Passing/game 87

Total Yards/game 355

OU stats in 1971

Yards rushing/game 470
Yards Passing/game 87

Total Yards/game 557!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I don't think we should scrap the offense. I just wanted to point out what a remarkable offensive coordinator Barry Switzer was.

Man, can you imagine averaging 557 yards a game in 2006?

Blues1
10/9/2006, 08:41 PM
OU switched to the wishbone midseason 1970.

OU stats in 1970

Yards rushing/game 269
Yards Passing/game 87

Total Yards/game 355

OU stats in 1971

Yards rushing/game 470
Yards Passing/game 87

Total Yards/game 557!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I don't think we should scrap the offense. I just wanted to point out what a remarkable offensive coordinator Barry Switzer was.

Man, can you imagine averaging 557 yards a game in 2006?

Amen & Amen ---

We need a OUT of the Box type guy with lots of guts.....That is IF you want another National Championship....??

Once Again JMHO....We are Stuck or caught up in system that ain't going to get us there...and I don't blame the players - We have the talent....I can handle a 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 or even a 8 and 4 Season but rather be in "The Big Game" come January 8th - but not now this year...
Cotton - Hoilday - Alamo -- Here we come....

Which one do we want...???

Oldnslo
10/9/2006, 08:55 PM
Heh. I wonder if Barry would be up for a stint as our OC. Maybe a "special guest star" kind of gig.

That would be teh awexome.

Blues1
10/9/2006, 09:20 PM
I bet Barry would Love to have his Ideas put in place - You know he has a opinion on "What to Do" - How you would go about doing it without embrassing other Coaches is a trick I don't think we could figure out at this time....Somebody would get their feathers ruffled - But I bet we'd hear something IF we asked him....!!!

Soonrs
10/9/2006, 09:21 PM
Here is a another little known fact:

On September 25th, 1954, OU played TCU and beat them 21-16. TCU actually had a touchdown that won the game but the receiver admitted that he did not catch the ball. A touchdown was negated and OU won the game because one player choose to be honest.

Wow! How the game has changed!

On September 16th, 2006........

oufan199
10/9/2006, 09:42 PM
Amen & Amen ---

We need a OUT of the Box type guy with lots of guts.....That is IF you want another National Championship....??

Once Again JMHO....We are Stuck or caught up in system that ain't going to get us there...and I don't blame the players - We have the talent....I can handle a 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 or even a 8 and 4 Season but rather be in "The Big Game" come January 8th - but not now this year...
Cotton - Hoilday - Alamo -- Here we come....

Which one do we want...???

I respect your views, but I say we DON'T have the talent. What I saw Saturday was a team that had not nearly the team speed Texas had on defense, below-average linebacking and an offensive line that couldn't block a defensive end or knock a cornerback out of the way. Given the exact same circumstances (eight men in the box, eyeballing every Peterson move), Jason White would have thrown for 400 yards Saturday. But then he was a Heisman winner. We don't have that kind of QB at present. That's not a slam at Paul Thompson, but it's just a fact.

Blues1
10/9/2006, 09:55 PM
I don't think we The Best Talent we have had in recent years -- But I do think we have enough talent this year to be 5 and 0 at this point - (we all know the reasons we are not) - but This team has had the chance to Win those 2 loss's -- IF we were 5 and 0 - I would like to believe we would be able to build on that and get Better Game by Game - But right now I don't know IF this team can Win the rest of the games....A lot depends on were their heads are at this point and IF they can come back from two disapointing defeats..??

jwlynn64
10/9/2006, 11:48 PM
I respect your views, but I say we DON'T have the talent. What I saw Saturday was a team that had not nearly the team speed Texas had on defense, below-average linebacking and an offensive line that couldn't block a defensive end or knock a cornerback out of the way. Given the exact same circumstances (eight men in the box, eyeballing every Peterson move), Jason White would have thrown for 400 yards Saturday. But then he was a Heisman winner. We don't have that kind of QB at present. That's not a slam at Paul Thompson, but it's just a fact.

Based upon your statement, I have to say that you are viewing the game through disappointment colored glasses.

How did our inferior talent team, make 5 turnovers, 11 penalties and still equal Texas in all offensive stats except the score?

What we had Saturday was a less disciplined team than Texas. Even with Offensive and Defensive lines that are not as good as Texas, we moved the ball better than Texas during the course of the game.

Of course, the middle to the end of the fouth quarter were different because we had to start passing but up until that point, we were as good if not better than Texas. We just always found a way to screw up when we got near scoring position.

Also, I haven't heard anyone mention the final interception of the game. From my position (later confirmed by the replay on the screen) it looked like the Texas corner back had his arms completely around our receivers waist while they were waiting for the ball to get there. Isn't that considered pass interference?

The turnover didn't mean any thing but it seems crazy that the refs totally ignore the rules just because the game is out of reach.

rhombic21
10/10/2006, 12:18 AM
If you could recruit talent to play in it, the flexbone/spread offense that Navy runs would be impossible to defend. I also think that OU should go back to the spread/shotgun running game that we used when we had Quentin, and last year when AD was hurt. That fits a lot better with our passing game, which is considerably better out of the 'gun than it is under center, and takes a lot of pressure off the OL because they can't stack 8 or 9 in the box against it as easily. Maybe it isn't AD's strength, but he'd still get his yards in it, and the rest of the offense would click a lot better. I actually think that our offense could be more effective next year when we get back to what we were using in 2002 and 2003, and stop trying to be a power run team. The Pistol formation that Nevada runs would be a good way to combine the I formation and the shotgun.

But our problem isn't our scheme. The scheme could be better, but it's good enough to win with. Our problem is that we can't execute correctly for 4 quarters, and we continue to have problems avoiding penalties and turnovers.

oufan199
10/10/2006, 07:32 AM
Based upon your statement, I have to say that you are viewing the game through disappointment colored glasses.

How did our inferior talent team, make 5 turnovers, 11 penalties and still equal Texas in all offensive stats except the score?

What we had Saturday was a less disciplined team than Texas. Even with Offensive and Defensive lines that are not as good as Texas, we moved the ball better than Texas during the course of the game.

Of course, the middle to the end of the fouth quarter were different because we had to start passing but up until that point, we were as good if not better than Texas. We just always found a way to screw up when we got near scoring position.

Also, I haven't heard anyone mention the final interception of the game. From my position (later confirmed by the replay on the screen) it looked like the Texas corner back had his arms completely around our receivers waist while they were waiting for the ball to get there. Isn't that considered pass interference?

The turnover didn't mean any thing but it seems crazy that the refs totally ignore the rules just because the game is out of reach.

Total yards don't tell the story, either. One factor that hasn't been mentioned in many if any posts is the terrible field position OU had nearly all game. Much of the blame for that was no defensive takeaways and several awful kickoff returns that didn't even net us the 20-yard line, and our usual poor punting. (I've long been convinced that OU could have taken eventual NFL Hall of Famer Ray Guy (the old Oakland Raider punter, for all you young bucks) and turned him into a 32-yard average punter. It just seems like a Sooner tradition, sort of like good running backs and the Sooner Schooner.) The kick returns are a microcosm of the way OU has played this year: two good returns by Peterson, and three or four terrible ones. So one reason OU had more yards was it had a lot longer field to navigate. I can only remember one time when Texas had really bad field position, and it had to punt. I don't have the numbers to back myself up, but I'm sure we lost the battle of field position big-time.

snp
10/10/2006, 10:00 AM
You are advocating a mid-season switch of offense based upon the results of one of the most dominitaing teams in the history of football versus one of the biggest doormats. Nevermind the parity that has increased over the years.

And no. Just because you have talent doesn't mean you can switch to any formation and still win. I'd love to see what would happen if PT started throwing the ball 55 times a game. We might turn the ball over 6 times, but at least we'd be way outta the box! Let's start punting the ball on 3rd down, that's pretty whacky and original as well.

Blues1
10/10/2006, 10:39 AM
You are advocating a mid-season switch of offense based upon the results of one of the most dominitaing teams in the history of football versus one of the biggest doormats. Nevermind the parity that has increased over the years.

And no. Just because you have talent doesn't mean you can switch to any formation and still win. I'd love to see what would happen if PT started throwing the ball 55 times a game. We might turn the ball over 6 times, but at least we'd be way outta the box! Let's start punting the ball on 3rd down, that's pretty whacky and original as well.

I don't know IF I'm advocating any major changes - Just saying we had two weeks to get ready for this game and I didn't see anything that Looked that much different - Just wondering "What IF" we had tried some Real Different ideas and or plays for this game....Both Bud and Darryl usually did....IE The Quick Kick etc...

cvsooner
10/10/2006, 12:27 PM
One of the best teams I ever saw play was the 74-75 Sooners. Totally undefeated in 1974, and National Champs, and repeat national champs in 1975.

However, one of the worst days I ever sat through in Owen Field was a remarkable Saturday in 1975...when Kansas came to town with a defensive back playing quarterback.

The Sooners--with Joe Washington in the backfield, Steve Davis at quarterback, Selmons on the defensive front--could NOT do ANYTHING right that day. I don't know what it was...but Kansas came to play. Sooners lost, only scoring a field goal. 24-3, I think it was.

My point, and I do have one, is two-fold: first, anybody could have a bad day. That day in Norman (at home, no less), the best college football team in the country could lose if they weren't clicking, and the other team was. Second point...they rallied after that and still won a national championship.

(And earlier that season, survived a Colorado scare, 21-20, when the tying extra point hit the upright!)

This is a young squad, still. Somehow they aren't concentrating, aren't focusing, aren't learning fast enough, aren't remembering. I'm sure they work on stuff in practice...and then go out and can't seem to keep it together for 60 minutes. There are flashes of awesome brilliance. That's why it's so frustrating.

Defense played fairly well on Saturday. Not great...but really only one long, sustained drive. I expected a close game, 24-21 or something like that. I figured the defense could hold them to three touchdowns. With the personnel we've got, this group won't dominate. Their job is to keep it close. And somehow we've got to get better pressure in the backfield and not give up the big play.

The offense never really got it together. I thought I was on track for 24-21 even when they were up 21-10...and then Iglesias fumbles when he's clobbered. Game nearly over at that point. May as well have been. But...the defense held, forced a punt. Thompson was inaccurate on some throws...expected that. Receivers didn't catch some well-thrown balls, either. Caught some they probably shouldn't have.

Field position was huge. Penalties were even more huge. The turnovers...eh. They didn't help. The worst thing is they kill a drive. Only one led to points, really, and that put the game away. A critical mistake to be sure, but the penalties just sap a team's momentum, and the worst part is you do it to yourself.

This team has yet to learn how to win. Season's not over...could still be a very good team and finish out at 10-2. (Or really 11-1, if not for Oregon's debacle.) Pretty good year, in my book.

Challenge for the coaches is to make the lessons stick. I still see ball carriers running down the sideline with the ball in the wrong arm. I see the same dumb penalties over and over and over. These are correctable. But the players have to do it. The coaches can show them. But it ultimately falls on the player.

One final thought: McCoy played okay. I do wish he'd take some testosterone so his voice would drop two octaves. He sounds like Clay Aiken. And who names their kid Colt?

stoopified
10/10/2006, 03:52 PM
We beat ourselves with turnovers and penalties vs.UT.The ONLY surprising thing about the outcome is that we only lost 28-10.Pretty close game considering 5 turnovers and 11 penalties.