PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a breakdown of our offensive formations?

tulsaoilerfan
10/9/2006, 06:56 PM
IE, how many times do we run AD out of the one back set vs the traditional I formation? IF AD is the best back in the country, why do we not run him out of the I formation more than we are this season? I realize we don't have JD back there, but surely a fullback leading AD through the hole is better than AD waiting and taking a handoff 8 yards deep in the backfield, isn't it? Color me confused on this one

OU Adonis
10/9/2006, 08:01 PM
An I back is 7 yards back if I recall. So he has to run an extra yard every play.

tulsaoilerfan
10/9/2006, 09:51 PM
An I back is 7 yards back if I recall. So he has to run an extra yard every play.
Not my point; what i'm asking is why don't we run him more out of the I formation? Hell even the King dumped his beloved 'bone for the I when Dupree was at OU to take advantage of his talents

birddog
10/9/2006, 09:56 PM
we've been using alot of double tight ends instead. hopefully someone will jump in and explain what a double set will give you that an i can't. i just don't know.

sanantoniosooner
10/9/2006, 09:58 PM
A lot of our plays have been offensive to me.

1stTimeCaller
10/9/2006, 09:59 PM

That's true, unless you need to back the I back up another yard because either they are too quick or the QB is too slow in getting the ball back to the I back.

It's all about timing, the yardage the I back is off the LOS is determined by the timing.

did that make sense?

bri
10/9/2006, 10:01 PM
IE, how many times do we run AD out of the one back set vs the traditional I formation? IF AD is the best back in the country, why do we not run him out of the I formation more than we are this season? I realize we don't have JD back there, but surely a fullback leading AD through the hole is better than AD waiting and taking a handoff 8 yards deep in the backfield, isn't it? Color me confused on this one

Well, your first mistake? Assuming that there's a hole to lead AD through. :D

Egeo
10/10/2006, 01:21 AM
we've been using alot of double tight ends instead. hopefully someone will jump in and explain what a double set will give you that an i can't. i just don't know.
better players?
a gap advantage somewhere - its really hard for teams to defend 9 gaps

OU Adonis
10/10/2006, 02:36 AM
our offensive formations break down without us having to do it for them.

I kid, I kid.

I don't think our problems are really offense related per say. Fundamentals are.

Blitzkrieg
10/10/2006, 10:23 AM
The FB brings the linebacker back into the box. With another wideout, or 2 TEs, it's spreads the defense thinner, and if we get a hole, AD is long gone.

That's the logic of no FB, especially if they are not that good.

IronSooner
10/10/2006, 10:27 AM
The FB bring the linebacker back into the box. With another wideout, or 2 TEs, it's spreads the defense thinner, and if we get a hole, AD is long gone.

I think they also figure that there's a better chance of getting a hole toward an edge rather than inside. A FB helps clear out a LB from an interior gap so you can run through the A or B gap. However, our interior OL are so bad (IMO) this year that any running success we're going to have will come near the edges. By having an extra TE you can maybe get a kickout block on an end or seal an end inside, giving AD a better hole with fewer guys to beat once he's past the DL.

Blitzkrieg
10/10/2006, 11:05 AM
If we had JD, we'd be in more two back. I like spreading them out.

The offensive woes have not been in scheme, but execution.

Rogue
10/10/2006, 11:51 AM
Hell even the King dumped his beloved 'bone for the I when Dupree was at OU to take advantage of his talents

And lived to regret it! Our offense is what it is. I'm not saying you don't make some adjustments based on the talent on the field, but changing a whole offense for one guy seldom works.

Blues1
10/10/2006, 12:26 PM
And lived to regret it! Our offense is what it is. I'm not saying you don't make some adjustments based on the talent on the field, but changing a whole offense for one guy seldom works.

AMEN -- I was Hoping to see a 2 Back Running Offense this Year - Like the One I saw Northwestern Have during the years I understand Wilson was running it...That Offense Rip the He!! out of The Big 10 ...When Patrick got into the game Saturday I said Well they are gonna Run Patrick - Sure enough Patrick for maybe a yard gain...

We have a QB that can Run and Pass good enough to be a threat - You Put TWO Backs in backfield that both have Breakaway Speed and Now you have Northwestern Offense that Killed the Big Ten....

The chance of AD reaching his Goals for the Season are Not to bright - The Hiesman is probably Gone - We Have a over load of Talented Backs (Especially IF you include DeMarco) -- Forget The Deep I - Get the Fastest Backs on the Field and Use their God Given Talents.....Let PT Run every chance he thinks he can some yards.... And You won't see 8 in The box..

I can installed this offense in One Week and I won't charge over $50,000 ----:D

tulsaoilerfan
10/10/2006, 07:08 PM
The FB brings the linebacker back into the box. With another wideout, or 2 TEs, it's spreads the defense thinner, and if we get a hole, AD is long gone.

It just seems to me that we do better running the ball out of the I formation; maybe i'm just delusional:eek:

TrophyCollector
10/10/2006, 07:18 PM
While we are on the subject, why do we even have that zone read play in our ****ing playbook? Does it do a bit of good to fake it if the QB is never going to keep the ball?

And when is the last time we ran a screen or draw of any kind?

bri
10/10/2006, 07:48 PM
The reason we don't see more of the N'Western spread run game is that AD is more comfortable out of the deep I. He's not a shotgun running back, like Q. Trying to run him out of nothing but the spread would be like trying to run the Wishbone with Troy Aikman.

SoonerLB
10/10/2006, 09:18 PM
It don't matter if you don't have an offensive line that can block.
And then there is the fact that every defense we face is keying on AD, especially when he is the only guy back there, and can rarely run up the middle because his offensive line is getting shoved back towards him instead of opening holes for him to run through.