PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Oklahoma Sooners-A Ewing Theory Candidate?

royalfan5
10/9/2006, 03:18 PM
Some of you are likely familar with the Ewing Theory, some of you likely are not. In a nutshell the Ewing Theory refers to some teams ability to play better after losing a superstar player, e.g the Knicks and Ewing. While I am not a Sooner fan, I am an avid college football fan, and I believe that the 2007 Sooners may be a Ewing Theory Candidate. Please note that I am in No Way disparaging Peterson's abilities as a player, and in no way implying that he is hurting the Sooners However after browsing through y'all's reactions to the Sooners season so far, it seems that there seems to be a lot of handwrining over flat play and conservative play calling. I believe that this can stem from the mental effects of playing with a player of AD caliber on the other players and coaching staff. I think that maybe your Sooners put too much faith in AD's ability to save the team and just expect him to make plays and that hinders their focus and intensity, and in regards to the coaching staff, he provides them with too much of a security blanket, e.g. let's just give AD the ball and take the low risk play rather than pushing the envelope. Next year, without Peterson the players may up their intensity because they don't have a special player to bail them out, and the coach's won't have him as a security blanket leading them to open things up, if y'all develop a competent QB. Then the 2007 Sooners emerge as a surprise team. I believe this same thing is playing itself out right now with Mizzou sans Brad Smith.

Blues1
10/9/2006, 03:34 PM
I hate to agree with a Horn - But this time I do...Running AD at Tulsa all through the 2nd Half is one thing - But it Won't work vs Texas or any Top 10 team with a Smart Defense Coach....JMHO...!!!

RacerX
10/9/2006, 04:14 PM
I think he's a Husker.

royalfan5
10/9/2006, 04:21 PM
I think he's a Husker.
I've heard that about him.

birddog
10/9/2006, 04:25 PM
i was under the impression he was a royal fan.:D

soonerlaw
10/9/2006, 04:31 PM
I love to watch AD play, but at the same time, I remember when he was hurt last year and we had to play A&M . I surely thought we would lose w/o him. But the other rb's did pretty well. I just wish we could have given him a better OL these past few years. He could have broken the all time rushing record in three years.

JohnnyMack
10/9/2006, 04:40 PM
i was under the impression he was a royal fan.:D

Now that would be sad.

The Maestro
10/9/2006, 04:47 PM
I love to watch AD play, but at the same time, I remember when he was hurt last year and we had to play A&M and at Nebraska. I surely thought we would lose both those games w/o him. But the other rb's did pretty well.

Um....AD's stats at Nebraska last year, Buddy.

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg
-------------------------------------------------
Peterson, Adrian 24 155 9 146 2 58 6.1

We lose at Nebraska last year without AD. That one guy passed for 157 yards that day.

justanotherguy
10/9/2006, 08:38 PM
I had this very same thought, but didn't want to take the time to post it. Lazy I guess.

royalfan5
10/9/2006, 08:50 PM
I had this very same thought, but didn't want to take the time to post it. Lazy I guess.
That's why I have 3K+ posts and you have 8

OUinFLA
10/9/2006, 09:08 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh, post count smack!
The finest kind.
Baja alert!

goingoneight
10/9/2006, 09:15 PM
I hate to agree with a Horn - But this time I do...Running AD at Tulsa all through the 2nd Half is one thing - But it Won't work vs Texas or any Top 10 team with a Smart Defense Coach....JMHO...!!!

TU has a better defense than us... But we got Stoops, so we're even... :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/9/2006, 09:21 PM
Don't worry Stuups will be fired soon!!!

TXBOOMER
10/9/2006, 09:39 PM
I like your theory, but breaking in another new QB next year for the third consecutive year, we'll probably go 9-2 or 8-3. RB's are much easier to replace than QB's. Josh and Jason spoiled me (Nate wasn't bad).

OUstud
10/9/2006, 09:43 PM
Take one look at DeMarco Murray's HS video and that will ease your concerns about AD being gone. :D

Now Paul, that's another story...

tbl
10/9/2006, 09:47 PM
Yup... we'll be FINE at RB next year. Just fine. QB, who knows?

BTW, I do agree with your theory. I just hope it proves true and the coaches/players do indeed step it up. It'd be nice to do it RIGHT NOW, but we'll see.

rainiersooner
10/9/2006, 10:20 PM

Because of you I have one more post than I did when I linked to this thread! Schweeeet!!! :)

Blues1
10/9/2006, 10:40 PM
Take one look at DeMarco Murray's HS video and that will ease your concerns about AD being gone. :D

Now Paul, that's another story...

Yep -- have seen the video's.... This young man should be playing right now - Put him in the backfield with AD - A good fake to AD and a Pitch out to DeMarco and 4 field goals would have been Touchdowns....And we be 4 and 1 and maybe 5 and 0......and again - JMHO

You can bet your Life Barry would have used this Trick....!!!

GottaHavePride
10/9/2006, 10:47 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh, post count smack!
The finest kind.
Baja alert!

People with high post counts must not have lives.

justanotherguy
10/10/2006, 08:44 AM

:)

well played...

TopDawg
10/10/2006, 09:40 AM
I think a better name for this theory is the Manning Theory, since it ties directly to college football. Who'd've thunk the Vols would win a national title the year after Peyton left?

I would be extremely surprised if he did, but I'm still holding out hope that AD returns to OU next year.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/10/2006, 09:43 AM
How about Tennessee winning the NC after Peyton Manning left with Tee freaking Martin at QB. It has been done, certainly.

As good as AD is, even if Murray is great we will have some dropoff at RB. It is possible that the OL takes up some of that slack by improving. We have to improve at CB but I think we will. Everywhere else we look either real good, or appear to have players ready to step in.

#1 question is what is usually is, QB. I don't think anyone believes that Bradford will be ready to take over as a RS freshman and my suspicion is that Halzle will never be more than a solid back-up. So I think our QB for next year is playing Juco ball somewhere. If we land the right guy then we can make a serious run next year.

TopDawg
10/10/2006, 10:27 AM
How about Tennessee winning the NC after Peyton Manning left with Tee freaking Martin at QB. It has been done, certainly.

Good example! I'd forgotten about that!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/10/2006, 11:13 AM
Good example! I'd forgotten about that!

LOL

I was typing that post same time you were, got a phone call and then went back and finished it and posted it. Great minds think alike.

TopDawg
10/10/2006, 11:19 AM
#1 question is what is usually is, QB. I don't think anyone believes that Bradford will be ready to take over as a RS freshman and my suspicion is that Halzle will never be more than a solid back-up. So I think our QB for next year is playing Juco ball somewhere. If we land the right guy then we can make a serious run next year.

I dunno. McCoy has done a good enough job as a RSFr QB and Bomar wasn't too shabby last year. If our O-line improves it looks like we'll certainly have the tools on offense and defense to give a young QB time to develop without losing.

TMcGee86
10/10/2006, 12:21 PM
The thing that makes me somewhat less worried about the QB situation next year is that we are winning with PT throwing the ball, and not running.

PT has done great, yet still lacks the touch on deep balls and others that great QB's have.

We will definitely miss his leadership ability, but the team will have a much different fell next season anyway w/o AD and Rufus, so I imagine leaders will step up.

I dont think it will be an impossible task to find someone who can throw the ball as well, if not better than PT.