PDA

View Full Version : We should be in Spread Offense...Like Tech

Blues1
10/9/2006, 02:19 PM
We should be in Spread offense...Like --- Tech JMHO...!!!

Our Offense Line could block better IF spread out - AD would could fine larger running Lanes - PT should or could scrabble better - And put another RB like PAtrick or Nevada Kid back there to balance out the backfield since our FB Doesn't really do that much anyway....We got plenty of WR's to catch the ball...We probably be able to recruit better QB's - "The Deep I formation with AD just tells the Opposing defense here comes AD" - Another Fast tail back in the backfield would take pressure OFF AD and give the defense something else to worry about...Shorter pass's for PT to complete - Lots of Screens and shovel pass's to AD or Patrick - We could keep 70% of our current playbook just Spread everyone out....It would be a lot more exciting = We have the talent to make it work...!!! - Dink & Dunk then let AD and Patrick (or The Nevada Kid) run wild ---- Less chance of blizting DE's to stop AD in the backfield -- Scoring only 10 points vs any good team just don't cut it --- Once again Just my Humble O....!!!!

ashley
10/9/2006, 02:21 PM
You have got to be kidding.

Blues1
10/9/2006, 02:23 PM
NOPE == When OU fans can see the plays coming - so does the other guy...!!!

sooner518
10/9/2006, 02:23 PM
I think we should run the ninja formation every play too.

usmc-sooner
10/9/2006, 02:27 PM
well we are running a spread defense

Scott D
10/9/2006, 02:32 PM
Square Peg, Round Hole, Triangular Box.

Blues1
10/9/2006, 02:35 PM
Square Peg, Round Hole, Triangular Box.

Sometimes you gotta Think OUT of The Box .......:D

Scott D
10/9/2006, 02:38 PM
not when the pieces are stuck inside the box.

crawfish
10/9/2006, 02:38 PM
I know I'M excited about winning all those championships that Tech's been winning...

Blues1
10/9/2006, 02:41 PM
I know I'M excited about winning all those championships that Tech's been winning...

We have TALENT tech doesn't - I know it won't happen anyway - But I still can see the about 60 % of our plays before they happen -- AND that ani't Good...!!!

OUstud
10/9/2006, 02:58 PM
How about the Pistol offense?

The Maestro
10/9/2006, 03:00 PM
Tech offense = impressive stats + fewer wins. No thanks.

As long as we have a back like AD, predictability is fine with me. Newsflash--# 28 is going to carry the ball A LOT! Now go block somebody!

Blues1
10/9/2006, 03:02 PM
From What we've Seen so far....Just ask yourself one question - Who would you rather see running and coaching our Offense Today - Mike Leach or Kevin Wilson...???

The Maestro
10/9/2006, 03:03 PM
From What we've Seen so far....Just ask yourself one question - Who would you rather see running and coaching our Offense Today - Mike Leach or Kevin Wilson...???

Kevin Wilson. Tech has two losses. 3 points against TCU and a 17 point loss at home to Missouri with two INT's returned for touchdowns. Again, no thanks.

Newbomb Turk
10/9/2006, 03:07 PM
Who would you rather see running and coaching our Offense Today - Mike Leach or Kevin Wilson...???

Why no Chuck Long?

snp
10/9/2006, 03:08 PM
If you want us to give you some credibility, you could at least go look up "the Nevada kid" name.

But your whole rant on offensive strategy pretty much destroys your street cred anyways.

Boomerbrad
10/9/2006, 03:14 PM
NINJA!!!
http://www.kushanku.de/aktuell/grafik01/ninja_yari_200.jpg

;)

Blues1
10/9/2006, 03:21 PM
Once again - We Have the Talent -- Tech Doesn't -- 2006 Team records doesn't mean squad - IF Mike Leach was here we be at 4 and one - Maybe 5 and 0 - Field goals would have been TD's --- I hate to say it But Losing Mike Stoops And Mike Leach cost us --- Barry and Bud were Offensive Minded Coaches who thought out of the box (Just look at the records) -- We need a offensive minded Coach with that kind thinking - Bob Stoops is Great head Coach - But All head coaches need a Right hand Man who can open up the play book with New ideas and progressive thinking - Sorry to say I don't see it happening at this point in our Season...JMHO...!!!

Scott D
10/9/2006, 03:38 PM
hmm...interesting conundrum.

btw, jkm what do I win for stating that it'd take less than 6 games for them to turn on Wilson?

Texas Golfer
10/9/2006, 03:43 PM
It's really not a bad idea, Blue, if you really think about it. The holes aren't opening up in our current setup. Also, we have a very speedy QB in PT. Perhaps he should do some QB draws to bring the LBs and CBs up.

Blues1
10/9/2006, 03:46 PM
Personally I think Wilson is a Very Good Coach -- I just think we Lost too much other Great talent to Arizona and Tech....Success came Quick for everyone -- maybe just too much for our own Good...???

Tulsa_Fireman
10/9/2006, 03:48 PM
This, like the others have said, is brainless. Here's why.

Spread MAKES you susceptible to DB blitzes and zone blitzes by giving press coverage looks. Spread MAKES you susceptible to D-line penetration because double team combos, TE chips, et cetera, aren't there to be had. Spread, with the oversized splits like the Texass Tortilla Tech does, actually puts space in the scheme, nearly eliminating zone read looks, push-chips, and taking blocked D-Linemen into LB pursuit lanes, not to mention the essential one-on-one space blocking technique an offensive lineman needs because he knows, with the 3 foot gap, no one, and absolutely no one, is gonna be there to help. Spread can increase turnovers via pick and actually play into a run-minded defense by playing safeties up (everyone remember K-State's 10 defenders 3 yards from the line of scrimmage?) to press and eliminate the high percentage route plus give needed run support with a nickel or dime set, playing to defensive speed. ALL of which does jack flippin' squat to help a downfield style running back like AD make things happen. It's why Q worked so well in that scheme.

And it's why AD wouldn't.

Go crack your playbook and think about it some more, Blues. You got some film to watch, yet.

Scott D
10/9/2006, 03:50 PM
Personally I think Wilson is a Very Good Coach -- I just think we Lost too much other Great talent to Arizona and Tech....Success came Quick for everyone -- maybe just too much for our own Good...???

seems to me that Leach was in Lubbock when we went 12-0 in 2000.

Blues1
10/9/2006, 04:06 PM
Yep - But we were still running mostly his Offensive in 2000 - at least that's the way saw it.....

Look I'm not a Football Coach just a guy who played some college ball - I just know I called that swing pass to AD before it happened - plus about 22 other plays before the center snapped the ball -- My guess is I'm not the only Sooner fan here that also did that.... You tell me...!

Tulsa_Fireman
10/9/2006, 04:12 PM
You tell me...!

I did. :confused:

Scott D
10/9/2006, 04:15 PM
Yep - But we were still running mostly his Offensive in 2000 - at least that's the way saw it.....

Look I'm not a Football Coach just a guy who played some college ball - I just know I called that swing pass to AD before it happened - plus about 22 other plays before the center snapped the ball -- My guess is I'm not the only Sooner fan here that also did that.... You tell me...!

yeah, but I'm pretty sure a year ago that was all the fault of Chuck Long. Or so many who post here would have us believe....if Long is gone, and the problem is the same...then clearly it wasn't Long.

yermom
10/9/2006, 04:19 PM
i'm fine with predictable if we can execute

i'm thinking 60% is pretty low considering how many 1st or 2nd and 15's we had

Blues1
10/9/2006, 04:20 PM
Only thing I know IF I can see a From a few or many of the plays coming -So does the other guy....Spread Formation - Single Wing - I could care Less -- I'm A Sooner fan who wants Wins....By any legal way we can get them...!!!

R'

yermom
10/9/2006, 04:23 PM
i thought the offense was fine, like the play action on 2nd and 1

we put up a lot of yards, we just aren't disciplined

we can't even punch it in in the redzone

picasso
10/9/2006, 05:03 PM

:confused:
we won a national title running that Tech offense.

usmc-sooner
10/9/2006, 05:24 PM
yeah, but I'm pretty sure a year ago that was all the fault of Chuck Long. Or so many who post here would have us believe....if Long is gone, and the problem is the same...then clearly it wasn't Long.

cept Chuck's problem followed him to SDSU. You should see their offense.

I was dissapointed in Saturday's offensive play calling but our offense is from game 1 through Texas is much better than Chuck's offense last year.

OU Adonis
10/9/2006, 05:28 PM
:confused:
we won a national title running that Tech offense.

Which was the only time its ever won a national championship.

Quiz for you guys. What style offense has won more championships than any other style?

Blues1
10/9/2006, 05:32 PM
My Guess is
#1 Single Wing
#2 Pro -Style 2 back offense
#3 Wish Bone

usmc-sooner
10/9/2006, 05:32 PM
Which was the only time its ever won a national championship.

Quiz for you guys. What style offense has won more championships than any other style?

wishbone, or option style offense.

birddog
10/9/2006, 05:49 PM
blues1, not rockin' anymore?

Blues1
10/9/2006, 05:51 PM
After a Loss - I kinda hold back on the Rockin' Stuff ....But by next week should be back in Action.....
Rock on'

OU Adonis
10/9/2006, 06:00 PM
wishbone, or option style offense.

That is correct.

Unless you want to count all the championships pre 36 when the AP poll started coming out. The single wing would be the #1, then option #2.

Blues1
10/9/2006, 06:06 PM
Being a OLD GUY -- I had to go with the Single Wing...!!!

Anybody remember "The All Star Game In Chicago" Every August in the old days...??
The College All Stars Vs The Pro Champs ---- Some times the college boys Won...!!!!
Now that was Rockin'

Pepper
10/9/2006, 06:19 PM
Except our running game was terrible back in that offense. We took the line splits down and then Quentin Griffin had a huge year. Before that we couldn't hardly run at all.
Plus how hard is it going to be for AD to get to the edge in that formation, which is where he gets a lot of yards. By the time he gets there the secondary would close in.
Did you ever think maybe our difficulty running the ball was because the defense is bringing more people than we can block?

Blues1
10/9/2006, 08:18 PM
I think I've seen AD up the middle gaining Lots of yards as well --

We had two weeks to get ready for this Game -- I just think we could have been a little more imaginative in our apporach - Saw a few New things but nothing that was a Real Big Surprise....IF AD can't get past one or two guys on his own (Which he can) then putting 8 or 9 in the Box should work in our favor at least once or twice a game....Remember his run up the middle in Oregon game...This game could have been a "W" but mistakes at wrong time plus lack of surprise cost us a Victory -- JMHO...

MikeInNorman
10/9/2006, 09:30 PM

Have you?

I was dissapointed in Saturday's offensive play calling but our offense is from game 1 through Texas is much better than Chuck's offense last year.

If you hadn't noticed, this IS the offense from last year, and the year before, and the year before.

Scott D
10/10/2006, 12:13 AM

yeah, SDSU hasn't really been known as a hotbed of talent over the years.

usmc-sooner
10/10/2006, 08:07 AM
Have you?

If you hadn't noticed, this IS the offense from last year, and the year before, and the year before.

yes I have and it sucks at SDSU worse than it sucked here. But we have more talent than SDSU. SDSU lost one game one game by 21 points and threw 13 passes all game. Just compare our offense last year points and yards vs this year, and last year we had 2 OL go high in the pro draft.

usmc-sooner
10/10/2006, 08:08 AM
yeah, SDSU hasn't really been known as a hotbed of talent over the years.

no they haven't but they usually manage a good offense.

Scott D
10/10/2006, 09:41 AM
no they haven't but they usually manage a good offense.

their conference isn't really known for defense either :)

I never rate an offense on it's first year. Would you say that Florida's offense is light years ahead of where it was one year ago?

But let's go back to the matter at hand....the problem with this current version of the offense is twofold. We'd actually be worse off in a Tech offense than we are now because Adrian Peterson would be an even worse fit for that offense than he is for the current one.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/10/2006, 09:54 AM
I might be in the minority here but I like Wilson's play calling so far. I saw at least 3 and maybe 4 Tds that we didn't get Sat because of exectution. The pass where Kelly was greatly underthrown, that was a TD. The PA pass to Gresham in the second half that is a TD if he catches the ball. The pass to Finley called back by a bogus PI call. AD tripping over Thompson on a run that had TD written all over it.

I thought our offensive scheme was very sound and if we had done a little better job of taking care of the ball we would be still celebrating our 2-3 TD victory right now.

MikeInNorman
10/10/2006, 10:33 AM
yes I have and it sucks at SDSU worse than it sucked here. But we have more talent than SDSU. SDSU lost one game one game by 21 points and threw 13 passes all game. Just compare our offense last year points and yards vs this year, and last year we had 2 OL go high in the pro draft.

Please tell me which game(s) you have watched and what you know about the situation. Just curious, you seem to know an awful lot.

This will be interesting, since there is an EXTREMELY limited area of the country where any SDSU game could be seen, even by pay-per-view, due to the horrible Mountain West TV package. Wisconsin is the only game on ESPN, and that was pay-per-view. You aren't paying money to watch CL, are you usmc? ;)

ashley
10/10/2006, 10:49 AM
AD is not that kind of back nor is PT that kind of QB. AD is certainly an I back.

usmc-sooner
10/10/2006, 06:47 PM
Please tell me which game(s) you have watched and what you know about the situation. Just curious, you seem to know an awful lot.

This will be interesting, since there is an EXTREMELY limited area of the country where any SDSU game could be seen, even by pay-per-view, due to the horrible Mountain West TV package. Wisconsin is the only game on ESPN, and that was pay-per-view. You aren't paying money to watch CL, are you usmc? ;)

no I have friends in San Diego. One is a DI at MCRD and some other friends up North in Camp Pendleton.

tulsaoilerfan
10/10/2006, 07:05 PM
We ran the spread when Heupel was here; as we got better talent, we got away from it and became a more traditional offense. IMO, the spread is a gimmick offense that can be held in check by teams with great speed on defense, and a team that passes that much will never win a MNC.