PDA

View Full Version : can someone show D.J. how to commit a pass interference penalty?

usmc-sooner
10/9/2006, 11:57 AM
or how to shoot a double leg take down on the WR as he's running by him. Heck just trip them for all I care. :mad:

n8v_ndn
10/9/2006, 12:03 PM
We need to hire a Director of Tackling Enhancement

Soonermagik
10/9/2006, 12:06 PM
How about we just take Wolfe out??? Move Reggie Smith back to corner and put Walker on the other side!! I'm sorry, but Wolfe has been burned for too many big plays.

usmc-sooner
10/9/2006, 12:11 PM
what I don't get is people especially in the NFL would kill for shut down corners like Reggie and we get one of the few guys with this ability and move him to safety. If your going to move a corner to safety it should be D.J. or Lendy not Reggie.

yermom
10/9/2006, 12:14 PM
i was thinking the same thing, he could have knocked him down before he caught that TD, at least it's not a spot foul like in the NFL

sooner518
10/9/2006, 12:15 PM
what I don't get is people especially in the NFL would kill for shut down corners like Reggie and we get one of the few guys with this ability and move him to safety. If your going to move a corner to safety it should be D.J. or Lendy not Reggie.
it would seem to me that DJ and Lendy are too small to do any kind of run support from the safety position.

yermom
10/9/2006, 12:36 PM
maybe Lendy, but i think DJ would be fine

i think the idea is that Reggie can do more from the Safety spot, can help out with broken coverages or whatever, he covers more of the field this way

Tear Down This Wall
10/9/2006, 12:45 PM
Guys, when it comes to secondary changes, why are we even including D.J. at all? He's a tailback.

Besides, safeties Keenan Clayton, Brett Bowers, and Jason Carter are just standing on the sideline. Oh yeah...in two years, Keenan Clayton hasn't been taught how to tackle. In three years, Brett Bowers, hasn't been taught how to do...anything apparently. He's the new Jowahn Poteat. And, in five years, we've gotten special teams play from Jason Carter, but rarely little else.

And, here's the kicker - safeties are supposed to be the position Bob is best at coaching. Go figure.

The Maestro
10/9/2006, 12:59 PM
I agree that Keenan Clayton made some mistakes early on, but does he not get another chance and D.J. Wolfe does? There were articles about Keenan before the season about what a playmaker he was going to be. To me, having him, Darrien and Nic at safeties and putting Reggie and Marcus at corners makes more sense...especially if you want to blitz and leave your corners on an island. D.J. should NEVER be put in that position!

Tear Down This Wall
10/9/2006, 01:31 PM
I agree that Keenan Clayton made some mistakes early on, but does he not get another chance and D.J. Wolfe does? There were articles about Keenan before the season about what a playmaker he was going to be. To me, having him, Darrien and Nic at safeties and putting Reggie and Marcus at corners makes more sense...especially if you want to blitz and leave your corners on an island. D.J. should NEVER be put in that position!

Maestro, that's exactly the point. Clayton commits one error on the field and he's on the bench for the rest of the year? D.J., bless his heart, is moved to a position he's not suited to play and makes mistakes every game, but they keep going back to him. I don't get it.

soonerlaw
10/9/2006, 01:35 PM
Might have been just me, but didn't Limeass Sweed push off DJ on that TD play? I don't think he got all that separation on his own.

FaninAma
10/9/2006, 01:42 PM
When we had Reggie and Walker in at the corners against Oregon is when we shut them down. Then boom! Holmes is back in and he gives up a TD to let Oregon get the score to 33-27. I thought Walker had been hurt again and that's why Holmes was in but then Walker came back in and all I could do was shake my head and say ,"WTF".

Bobby Jack Wright is a decent recruitier but he needs to be given as liitle coaching responsibility as possible.

FaninAma
10/9/2006, 01:44 PM
Might have been just me, but didn't Limeass Sweed push off DJ on that TD play? I don't think he got all that separation on his own.

Yes he did but DJ was already beat and that's why the ref didn't call it. The pass would have been completed anyway,

IronSooner
10/9/2006, 02:01 PM
When we had Reggie and Walker in at the corners against Oregon is when we shut them down. Then boom! Holmes is back in and he gives up a TD to let Oregon get the score to 33-27. I thought Walker had been hurt again and that's why Holmes was in but then Walker came back in and all I could do was shake my head and say ,"WTF".

Bobby Jack Wright is a decent recruitier but he needs to be given as liitle coaching responsibility as possible.

Glad I wasn't the only one stupified by that. I just don't get the mid-season secondary carousel. Makes me wonder what the coaches spent the last six months doing.

usmc-sooner
10/9/2006, 02:11 PM
Glad I wasn't the only one stupified by that. I just don't get the mid-season secondary carousel. Makes me wonder what the coaches spent the last six months doing.

well last year it was the o line and qb they did this with, makes me wonder what they've been doing the last 2 years.

FormerSoonerProf
10/9/2006, 02:19 PM
Except for what they've done with getting Paul Thompson to play QB in a pinch (read Heupel here), coaching overall has been pathetic. The defense is inconsistent - no hurrying up of the opponent's plays, no hitting the opponent's QB, nonexistent coverage by the secondary, weak LB play....Now, on the other side, the offensive line shakes and shivers and commits all kinds of motion penalties, and cannot open up any holes for AD...
All of this points to poor quality coaching and an indifference by coaches to get the players disciplined.

Tear Down This Wall
10/9/2006, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't write BJW off permanently. He did a heck of a job when he coached the DEs. What's the sin in actually just going out and hiring a secondary coach? Anyone?

usmc-sooner
10/9/2006, 02:36 PM
how about stealing Mark Stoops from Mike Stoops for Bob Stoops.

Scott D
10/9/2006, 02:37 PM
how about stealing Mark Stoops from Mike Stoops for Bob Stoops.

quit thinking like me...now, I mean it...honestly.

yermom
10/9/2006, 02:40 PM
at least him moving to AZ hosed the U :)

Tear Down This Wall
10/9/2006, 02:41 PM
Why not steal them both? :D I mean, really...f'n Arizona? Those guys have national title rings from three different schools (Bob from Florida and OU, Mike from OU, Mark from Miami).

Venables and Mike on the sideline again, screaming at any wrong twitch from their charges. Those were the days. It beats the heck out of watching Bob spend the afternoons railing the side judges.

tulsaoilerfan
10/9/2006, 07:02 PM
It's scary as hell, but i agree with most of this thread, and that's the first time i've been able to say that all weekeend:D

tulsaoilerfan
10/9/2006, 07:03 PM
Put Reggie and Walker at corner, move DJ back to Tailback, and put Clayton and Carter at safety and live with the results; all this damn shuffling around sure as hell isn't working; i'm beginning to think BV and BJW aren't even at the games we are watching

Sooner_Bob
10/9/2006, 07:10 PM

Apparently cohesion isn't a priority . . . or something.