PDA

View Full Version : “Handicap” People

KABOOKIE
10/9/2006, 09:00 AM
If you can drive your handicapped *** to the store, walk into the store unaided by any mechanical means, and load up a month’s worth of groceries into a cart……YOU ARE NOT HANDICAPPED!!!!! Don’t give me this, “I have a valid medical condition bull****.”

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Okla-homey
10/9/2006, 09:05 AM
If you can drive your handicapped *** to the store, walk into the store unaided by any mechanical means, and load up a month’s worth of groceries into a cart……YOU ARE NOT HANDICAPPED!!!!! Don’t give me this, “I have a valid medical condition bull****.”

The simple fact is, if an M.D. or D.O. will sign off on the state application, anyone can get a handicapped placard in Oklahoma without further review.

But hey, at least they won't allow chiroquackters to sign them.

crawfish
10/9/2006, 09:09 AM
I once saw a guy getting yelled at for parking in a handicapped spot with no apparent handicap...who then proceeded to lift up his pant leg showing a prosthetic leg. I'm sure the other guy felt like a jerk. :)

StoopTroup
10/9/2006, 09:10 AM
I need one.

But I promise to only use it in Stoolwater or Texas.

sanantoniosooner
10/9/2006, 09:12 AM
I once saw a guy getting yelled at for parking in a handicapped spot with no apparent handicap...who then proceeded to lift up his pant leg showing a prosthetic leg. I'm sure the other guy felt like a jerk. :)
:D

jk the sooner fan
10/9/2006, 09:17 AM
i saw a family a week or so ago, parked in front of walmart....they had a van with a wheelchair lift.....so obviously normally they'd need it, but the only person in the car was able to walk just fine......its crap like that that ****es me off....leave that spot for somebody that really needs it

StoopTroup
10/9/2006, 09:21 AM
I know several guys in his position who won't use a handicap sign.

Their reasoning is because they don't think of themselves as handicapped.

Many are just grateful to be alive after losing a limb.

I do think there should be Wheelchair Handicap spaces and Temporary Handicapped spaces for folks who are trying to recover from a serious health condition and spaces for folks who do really need the help that parking close helps improve their lives.

The abuse that goes on does PO alot of people it would seem.

Me...there are days that I could really use a temporary.....but...I mostly park as far away from everybody else anyway because of all the morans who door ding and leave shopping carts in the parking lots.

I think we should leave it up to the truely Handicapped to help make suggestions to the current issuance of the signs.

It's a tough thing to police.

IB4OU2
10/9/2006, 09:21 AM

Well since I park in those spots and crawl on hand and knee to get to my grocery cart I guess I'm OK then........I'll soon be selling pencils on the corner too. My question to you is how can you tell by just looking at someone that they don't deserve the need for handicap parking?

10/9/2006, 09:23 AM

I'll bet this guy never uses a special parking space...

http://friendshipbeyondborders.com/expedition/images/nawang%20_ice2.jpg

StoopTroup
10/9/2006, 09:24 AM
i saw a family a week or so ago, parked in front of walmart....they had a van with a wheelchair lift.....so obviously normally they'd need it, but the only person in the car was able to walk just fine......its crap like that that ****es me off....leave that spot for somebody that really needs it
I agree....but how do you know if that driver was picking up the person in the wheelchair and didn't want to leave the vehicle in a fire zone?

sanantoniosooner
10/9/2006, 09:24 AM
A guy down here went into a rant on the local radio station about handicapped people taking normal peoples spaces. He likes to park in the back and it irritated him to see a handicapped hanger where he normally parks.

I guess it never occurred to him that the car could have belonged to a handicapped person, and the person borrowing it had enough integrity to not take advantage of the situation.

jk the sooner fan
10/9/2006, 09:25 AM
I agree....but how do you know if that driver was picking up the person in the wheelchair and didn't want to leave the vehicle in a fire zone?

he just appeared to be shopping to me, parked, got out, walked in, grabbed a cart and off he went

StoopTroup
10/9/2006, 09:26 AM
he just appeared to be shopping to me, parked, got out, walked in, grabbed a cart and off he went
You should have made a citizens arrest. ;)

Mjcpr
10/9/2006, 09:27 AM
You should have made a citizens arrest. ;)

http://www.jimnolt.com/Graphics/wallys_McCoy%20barn.JPG

StoopTroup
10/9/2006, 09:30 AM
I know a guy who has had multiple back surgeries who has his good and bad days.

Some days it would seem he's fine and others you would swear he's about to have to crawl into the store.

Usually the good days are when he goes to the store and the faster he gets in and out the better. The day after he gets out...he's down for the count for a couple of days.

If he had parked way out...he might not have even made it home.

It's just so hard to say who needs it and who doesn't IMO.

StoopTroup
10/9/2006, 09:34 AM
What about all the folks who use the handicapped bathroom stall and pee all over it and then leave.

That really ****es me off.

yermom
10/9/2006, 09:40 AM
i thought you guys were talking about golfers ;)

StoopTroup
10/9/2006, 09:44 AM
i thought you guys were talking about golfers ;)
We are...

Those guys who use carts really **** me off. ;)

Osce0la
10/9/2006, 09:53 AM
I've got a friend that has a prosthetic leg and he never uses a handicap parking spot (I don't think he even has any of the handicap car tag things)...

sanantoniosooner
10/9/2006, 09:57 AM
So....

What I've gathered from this thread is that handicapped people should either be disfigured in some obvious way or tough it out and park where the rest of us do.

Does that sum it up?

KABOOKIE
10/9/2006, 09:58 AM
Well since I park in those spots and crawl on hand and knee to get to my grocery cart I guess I'm OK then........I'll soon be selling pencils on the corner too.

Well, good for you. At least you're an honest person.

My question to you is how can you tell by just looking at someone that they don't deserve the need for handicap parking?

I'm talking about people who drive and walk just fine with their very own f’ing legs. You know, I’m not requiring some a-hole to do handsprings to fit my description. Trust me. I know first hand that there are plenty of people who deserve to park their. Some DH that has all their limbs and walks just fine on their own isn’t one of them. OK?

StoopTroup
10/9/2006, 10:00 AM
I agree with you Kabookie.

It's a tough thing to police though.

yermom
10/9/2006, 10:03 AM
well, it's up to them... i mean you aren't always going to spot them

now if they are skipping along and leapfrog with their buddies that is one thing, but just because they are walking unassisted doesn't mean they aren't in pain or something, or that the longer walk would over exert them

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/9/2006, 10:11 AM
I have no problem with handicapped spots, I just wonder why they have them at Sonic.

jk the sooner fan
10/9/2006, 10:14 AM
because its a federal law that any parking lot has to have "x" amount of handicap spots....and since its lined as parking places...they have no choice

sooner n houston
10/9/2006, 10:15 AM
Ok, I'm one of those people y'all love to hate. Looking at me you would not know I have a handicap. You may think I'm lazy as you zoom past me because I walk rather slow.
Thirty years ago I broke both my legs, in several places, in a car accident. Today if I am on them too much my left leg will open up with an ulcer at the ankle, some times right down to the bone. So yes I use my handicap sticker and save myself all the steps I can. I walk with a limp that you have to really study to see unless I've been on these old legs too much already today, then you can see the wadel in my gate and the pain in my eyes.
I see your glares often and know what you think. I wish one of you would challenge me some time. I would love to show you the purple mess that is the skin on my ankles. I could show you the scars from where the bones protruded from my upper legs all those years ago and even the holes left from 101 days in double traction by the pins screwed into my bones, just below the knee, to help straighten and heal my upper legs.
If it make you feel better, superior, whatever glare away. I belive most people that you see and judge as being unworthy of a handicap parking spot are like me and would gladly trade places with you.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/9/2006, 10:15 AM
because its a federal law that any parking lot has to have "x" amount of handicap spots....and since its lined as parking places...they have no choiceYeah still weird. Just like braille drive up ATMs

RacerX
10/9/2006, 10:21 AM
I agree with you Kabookie.

It's a tough thing to police though.

:D

leavingthezoo
10/9/2006, 10:27 AM
you're just mad because if someone else didn't already have the handicapped parking spot you could slip in there, get in, get out and hopefully no one notices.

'fess up. :D

(i get way more mad at obviously -imo- able bodied people who park in front of the store marked by red as if the firezone doesn't apply to them)

crawfish
10/9/2006, 10:28 AM
The bathroom on my office floor is shared by all companies on the floor. It *used* to have 3 urinals and three toilets...a longer handicapped stall at the end with a raised toilet. Well, a Del Monte sales group moved on the floor...they have a global company policy for handicap accessibility, meaning they had to redo the bathroom. The new handicapped toilet is a thing of beauty...there's enough room to park an extra-wide wheelchair right next to it and comfortably climb atop the throne. The stall is nearly as big as my office. To do this, they removed *one* urinal and *one* stall. In a nutshell, we added about 30 people to our floor and lost two places to pee.

To top it off, there are NO handicapped people at the Del Monte facility. Or on our floor, for that matter. :mad:

leavingthezoo
10/9/2006, 10:30 AM
To top it off, there are NO handicapped people at the Del Monte facility. Or on our floor, for that matter. :mad:

i bet someone here would break your legs for you to change that situation. ;)

IB4OU2
10/9/2006, 10:32 AM
Well, good for you. At least you're an honest person.

I'm talking about people who drive and walk just fine with their very own f’ing legs. You know, I’m not requiring some a-hole to do handsprings to fit my description. Trust me. I know first hand that there are plenty of people who deserve to park their. Some DH that has all their limbs and walks just fine on their own isn’t one of them. OK?

I understand but there's just really no way of knowing if the person is deserving or not was my point. If you saw me there'd be no question but other people you just can't tell. Btw, I've been walking to the game from just north of the corner of Boyd and Jenkins and it's been tough but I slowly get there and it takes a day or so to get over the effects of the long walk but I'm to cheap to pay the 150 dollars to park in the Asp avenue parking lot. :)

KABOOKIE
10/9/2006, 10:42 AM
Which brings up an entirely different rant. I use the handicrapper at work only if I'm in danger of sharting and if the room is booked solid. I ran into the ****ter one day and had straight *** ****. I HAD TO F’ING GO! The only stall that was open was the handicrapper and I took it and proceeded to destroy the shine off the ceramic. As I’m starting to finish up a co-worker in wheel chair comes in and starts to bitch out loud. Never mind the obvious fact that the **** house is full. Man he gave me a stare and muttered something to the effect of, “It’s handicapped for a reason…” Too f’ing bad dude. All bets are off when it comes to taking a dook.

sanantoniosooner
10/9/2006, 10:44 AM
There is a HC stall in there to ensure they have a place to go.

Not ensure that it's available 24/7.

KABOOKIE
10/9/2006, 10:49 AM
you're just mad because if someone else didn't already have the handicapped parking spot you could slip in there, get in, get out and hopefully no one notices.

'fess up. :D

Nah, I just park in the fire zone! ;)

sooner_born_1960
10/9/2006, 12:18 PM

Exactly. They still gotta get in line like everyone else.

mdklatt
10/9/2006, 12:22 PM

Yeah, the handicrapper is not the same as a handicapped parking spot.

Frozen Sooner
10/9/2006, 12:39 PM
Yeah still weird. Just like braille drive up ATMs

This one isn't that hard to understand from a business standpoint.

Keys for both drive-up and non-drive-up ATMS are made with the same mold. Doesn't cost any more to make 'em with braille and it would cost money to build two separate molds. Plus you'd have to have two separate inventory systems for replacement parts.

Frozen Sooner
10/9/2006, 12:40 PM
Snap visual judgement of people is always the best way to go.

mdklatt
10/9/2006, 12:41 PM
This one isn't that hard to understand from a business standpoint.

Keys for both drive-up and non-drive-up ATMS are made with the same mold. Doesn't cost any more to make 'em with braille and it would cost money to build two separate molds. Plus you'd have to have two separate inventory systems for replacement parts.

So how come the drive-up thingy at McDonald's says "braille menu available upon request", Mr. Smart Guy?

Frozen Sooner
10/9/2006, 12:42 PM
So how come the drive-up thingy at McDonald's says "braille menu available upon request", Mr. Smart Guy?

Passengers?

mdklatt
10/9/2006, 12:44 PM
Passengers?

But presumably there as at least one seeing person in the car....

I know that's what it's for, I just think it's funny. Kind of like the radio commerical I heard one time: "If you are deaf, or know somebody who is...."

Frozen Sooner
10/9/2006, 12:50 PM
But presumably there as at least one seeing person in the car....

Well, obviously there is. They recognize that, otherwise something in print saying that Braille menus are available would be kind of worthless.

Many people with handicaps do not like having to rely on other people and do so as little as possible. Were I blind, I would much rather have a braille menu than have to have someone read the menu off to me. Much less humiliating.

Scott D
10/9/2006, 12:54 PM

let's see. Both of my cars have handicapped plates, both my wife and mother in law have handicapped tags to hang over the rear view mirror, my wife's license even has it denoted that she's handicapped. Mother in law let her license expire since she no longer feels capable of driving. My wife can drive, and most of the time walk without the assistance of a cane. Mother in law carries a cane with her and uses it most of the time unless she chooses to push a cart. The two of them tend to go grocery shopping together.

I guess by your definition my wife's back problems shouldn't really be problems defined as handicapped for driving purposes. I probably could get listed as handicapped for my knees, but I'm a stubborn bastard who won't see a doctor about my knees (and the right one generally is swollen to the size of a softball daily).

Plenty of people are handicapped in terms of back/leg/neck problems, but that doesn't mean they can't do certain things you consider to fall in the category of 'fully capable' for short periods of time.

nanimonai
10/9/2006, 03:43 PM
I'll take the animal kingdom +7.5 in a straight-up fight.