PDA

View Full Version : Football announcers always get this wrong:

TUSooner
10/8/2006, 10:43 PM
Whenever a guy jumps up to catch a pass, they say something like, "You've got to catch the ball at it's highest point." "It's highest point" is like 30 or 40 feet above the ground (or more, depending on the length of the pass), at the top of the arc of the pass's trajectory. No human being can catch the ball at it's highest point, unless maybe it's a 2-yard pass. The announcers should say what they really mean: You should catch the ball at the highest point of THE JUMP, not the ball's highest point. This has been bothering me for some time, so I had to say something about it. Thank you; that is all.

:pop:

Pepper
10/8/2006, 10:57 PM
You don't expect ex-athletes to understand physics do you?

TUSooner
10/8/2006, 11:45 PM
You don't expect ex-athletes to understand physics do you?
I'd hope Madden & Michaels would know. :D

Taxman71
10/9/2006, 06:47 AM
My gripe (I hav seen it analyzed at least 10 times this season) is downing punts in college....it does not matter where your feet or body are (i.e.-touching the goal line does not automatically result in a touchback). What matters is whether the ball crossed the plain, regardless of the player downing the ball.

This means you...the black guy who does the ESPN big 10+1 games.

AlbqSooner
10/9/2006, 06:54 AM
My gripe is inconsistency in announcers. In the game Saturday, PT completed a pass that the announcer said, "The only reason that was a completion is that he threw that ball high enough to allow only the receiver to go up and get it." Approximately 5 plays later, after a an interception, the same announcer (a former NFL QB) said,"He made the mistake of throwing that ball high in the air. He should have thrown it low so the receiver could go down and get it but the defender could not."

TUSooner
10/9/2006, 08:30 AM
My gripe is inconsistency in announcers. In the game Saturday, PT completed a pass that the announcer said, "The only reason that was a completion is that he threw that ball high enough to allow only the receiver to go up and get it." Approximately 5 plays later, after a an interception, the same announcer (a former NFL QB) said,"He made the mistake of throwing that ball high in the air. He should have thrown it low so the receiver could go down and get it but the defender could not."
Griese did defend PT after the last INT: he said the receiver made no effort to go down for the ball like the tejas DB did.

That play, btw, like AD's no-play on the "lateral", exemplified the lack of an edge on OUr part.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/9/2006, 08:57 AM
Here's my fav cliche as of late. Typically post interception, "Oh, I'm sure he'd [QB] love to have that one back."

Well, if that isn't the most obvious of rhetoric.