PDA

View Full Version : North Korea reports first nuke test

afs
10/8/2006, 10:29 PM
Story brok 35 minutes ago and is all over news sites so I'm not going to link.

South Korea reports 3.5 ritcher scale readings from North Korea, USGS site report nothing from the area....

I call BS

Ike
10/8/2006, 10:40 PM
I just saw this too. CNN is claiming SK can't confirm yet....

could be BS.

Ike
10/8/2006, 10:42 PM
from the link in mdklatts thread:

http://aslwww.cr.usgs.gov/Seismic_Data/telemetry_data/INCN_24hr.gif

no telling what this means though...

picasso
10/8/2006, 10:57 PM
so it shook enough to make the dork fall over in his lifts?

GottaHavePride
10/8/2006, 11:00 PM
http://www.ljworld.com/photos/2004/10/15/scenevillian.jpg

Oops! I ferr over!

nanimonai
10/8/2006, 11:03 PM
Looks like they have a very nasty letter coming to them from the U.N.

Frozen Sooner
10/8/2006, 11:04 PM
Any real confirmation of this? The only thing that makes me suspicious is that the NKers are claiming that they "contained the radiation," which would serve to explain no radiation being detected from the blast.

I mean, they're crazy enough to fake a nuclear blast with a ****ton of HE.

picasso
10/8/2006, 11:05 PM
does it say do this 16 more times and there's gonna be trouble?

afs
10/8/2006, 11:12 PM
my prediction at work on friday was that NK would claim to have tested a nuke this weekend, but convinently enough, no one in the free world would have conclusive evidance either way to prove it.

I'm so glad that I'm moving to South Korea next month.

Okla-homey
10/8/2006, 11:17 PM
FWIW, last I knew we have satellites in geosynch orbit over the Korean peninsula capable of detecting a birthday cake with over five candles. If we're mum on this, there must be a reason.

Anyway, we should be busy packing the ships with the PRK's humanitarian rice shipments to tide them thru the coming winter. Lord knows we can't expect them to build/pop expensive nukes and buy food too.:rolleyes:

nanimonai
10/8/2006, 11:18 PM
does it say do this 16 more times and there's gonna be trouble?

Then they get a really nasty letter.

afs
10/8/2006, 11:19 PM
FWIW, last I knew we have satellites in geosynch orbit over the Korean peninsula capable of detecting a birthday cake with over five candles. If we're mum on this, there must be a reason.

Anyway, we should be busy packing the ships with the PRK's humanitarian rice shipments to tide them thru the coming winter. Lord knows we can't expect them to build/pop expensive nukes and buy food too.:rolleyes:

umm, i think the test was underground - good luck spotting that birthday candle under a mountain. also I think we're mum b/c majority of the US Armed Forces are on a 3-day weekend for Columbus Day. Ironically enough the last time the NK's test something big, the US Armed Forces were on a 3-day weekend (July 4th)

picasso
10/8/2006, 11:21 PM
I've got a test for NK.

pull my finger.

soonerboomer93
10/9/2006, 12:07 AM
They put us on alert for our evacuation plan after the shots were fired at the border over the weekend. The HSE guy just came and commented on the the testing, but they haven't elevated out status to anything higher yet.

Sooner98
10/9/2006, 12:17 AM

Yep, a strongly-worded letter from the UN should get the job done.

PhxSooner
10/9/2006, 12:22 AM
Where did they cross? I've seen the border areas of the DMZ; it's pretty hard to miss, what with signs every few feet, and mines everywhere. That is one creepy place.

Crazy guy+nukes= much badness

soonerboomer93
10/9/2006, 12:27 AM
Not sure, 5 North Korea soldiers entered it near a stream is all I know. 40 warning shots were fired by South Korean soldiers and they returned to their side

PhxSooner
10/9/2006, 12:33 AM
The whole DMZ is just one big disaster waiting to happen. At least no one died on this crossing.

Is it cold there right now? We were there in June (long ago), and it was rainy and nasty at the border; Seoul was nice.

Ike
10/9/2006, 01:13 AM
just for clarity...USGS is reporting a 4.2 magnitude tremor in NK.

its prolly not BS...

soonerboomer93
10/9/2006, 01:30 AM
hooray, At least I'm closer to Japan then the DMZ.

Ike
10/9/2006, 01:52 AM
thank god for that. stay safe man.

soonerboomer93
10/9/2006, 01:54 AM
Heck, it's honestly safer/as safe here as in the US.

Ike
10/9/2006, 01:57 AM
Heck, it's honestly safer/as safe here as in the US.

till the mad puppet gets ronrey anyway...

crawfish
10/9/2006, 08:24 AM
from the link in mdklatts thread:

http://aslwww.cr.usgs.gov/Seismic_Data/telemetry_data/INCN_24hr.gif

no telling what this means though...

I think it's his lie detector results. :D

JohnnyMack
10/9/2006, 09:11 AM
I'm gonna go watch Red Dawn.

StoopTroup
10/9/2006, 09:52 AM
I'm gonna start diggin a fallout shelter.

Be back later.

TexasLidig8r
10/9/2006, 10:28 AM
We need to send Alec Baldwin over there to negotiate on our behalf.

Okla-homey
10/9/2006, 11:25 AM
umm, i think the test was underground - good luck spotting that birthday candle under a mountain. also I think we're mum b/c majority of the US Armed Forces are on a 3-day weekend for Columbus Day. Ironically enough the last time the NK's test something big, the US Armed Forces were on a 3-day weekend (July 4th)

They can also detect the resulting EMP which occurs even if the nudet is underground, etc. I'm not saying anymore or somebody might arrest me.;)

Rhino
10/9/2006, 11:40 AM
We need to send Alec Baldwin over there to negotiate on our behalf. We need to send Chuck Norris over there to negotiate on our behalf.

Penguin
10/9/2006, 11:42 AM
This just means that GW gets to say "nucular" as much as he wants.

Vaevictis
10/9/2006, 12:50 PM
They can also detect the resulting EMP which occurs even if the nudet is underground, etc. I'm not saying anymore or somebody might arrest me.;)

From a sattelite? Man, those are some seriously sensitive instruments.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/9/2006, 12:51 PM
Thank God when Nancy Pelosi gets elected, the streets will fill with chocolate and the heavens shall open and angels will play a beautifu.l chorus uniting the world for the first time. Arabs and Jews will dance in the streets and hug one another. All we have to do is elect Nancy Pelosi!!!

Penguin
10/9/2006, 01:38 PM
Thank God when Nancy Pelosi gets elected, the streets will fill with chocolate and the heavens shall open and angels will play a beautifu.l chorus uniting the world for the first time. Arabs and Jews will dance in the streets and hug one another. All we have to do is elect Nancy Pelosi!!!

Are you serious? That sounds like one hell of a day! :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/9/2006, 01:46 PM
Totally Serious!!! Plus lower taxes, lower gas prices, and pay off the entire national debt!!

Stoop Dawg
10/9/2006, 02:17 PM
I think we can all see now that negotiations are the only way to deal with a nuclear threat.

Seriously though, kudos to China for breaking their ties to NK over this. If they actually have the balls to step up and take care of this mess themselves I'll consider them a true super power. (And that's what they really want, you know - for Stoop Dawg to consider them a real super power)

Scott D
10/9/2006, 02:29 PM

friend of mine in the Navy stationed out in Japan had to leave in the middle of an online gaming session last night because he got the call from work that everyone was coming in and on high alert.

Sooner98
10/9/2006, 05:05 PM
I'm gonna go watch Red Dawn.

They showed The Day After on SciFi Channel yesterday. Talk about gloom and doom.

Thank God we had the deterrent of Mutually Assured Destruction back then. No such deterrent with NK selling their nukes to terrorists.

Ike
10/9/2006, 06:13 PM

first...I think you mean gamma ray burst, not EMP...EMPs happen in the atmosphere and are pretty effectively "blocked" by geographic features.

depending on how far undergound the detonation is, I'm not so sure this is the case....especially with satellites. If the detonation takes place under enough rock, then the intensity of gamma rays escaping to the atmosphere won't be enough to create a detectable EMP. You might be able to detect a handful of gamma rays, however, unless your satellite is directly above the test site or nearly above the test site, you'll see fewer and fewer, with less and less energy due to compton scattering, depending on how much more earth and atmosphere a given gamma ray has to traverse to reach your sattelite. So even though we may have satellites capable of detecting such gamma ray bursts, its possible that if they are out of position by some amount (not directly overhead) by even as much as 10 degrees, that they may not see much of anything due to the extra rock and atmosphere that the photons would have to traverse.

Mjcpr
10/9/2006, 06:50 PM
first...I think you mean gamma ray burst, not EMP...EMPs happen in the atmosphere and are pretty effectively "blocked" by geographic features.

depending on how far undergound the detonation is, I'm not so sure this is the case....especially with satellites. If the detonation takes place under enough rock, then the intensity of gamma rays escaping to the atmosphere won't be enough to create a detectable EMP. You might be able to detect a handful of gamma rays, however, unless your satellite is directly above the test site or nearly above the test site, you'll see fewer and fewer, with less and less energy due to compton scattering, depending on how much more earth and atmosphere a given gamma ray has to traverse to reach your sattelite. So even though we may have satellites capable of detecting such gamma ray bursts, its possible that if they are out of position by some amount (not directly overhead) by even as much as 10 degrees, that they may not see much of anything due to the extra rock and atmosphere that the photons would have to traverse.

Beat me to it.

soonerboomer93
10/9/2006, 07:30 PM
Heh, I just received a copy of the e-mail notification the Embassy sent out regarding the test. For some reason it didn't go to my home address like it's supposed to.

JohnnyMack
10/10/2006, 09:21 AM
Beat me to it.

Yup. That would've only taken you another decade or so to come up with.

Howzit
10/10/2006, 09:24 AM

Ahhh....the old gamma-ray-under-teh-rock trick.

Mjcpr
10/10/2006, 09:25 AM
Ahhh....the old gamma-ray-under-teh-rock trick.

You don't know, that'd take you another decade to come up with!!!111

1stTimeCaller
10/10/2006, 09:34 AM
You don't know, that'd take you another decade to come up with!!!111

or at least 10 years

Mjcpr
10/10/2006, 09:37 AM
or at least 10 years

Decade, 10 years, whatever it takes.

Howzit
10/10/2006, 09:39 AM
Wait, I just looked this up and they're the same thing.

Dumases.

Mjcpr
10/10/2006, 09:40 AM

Dumases.

Beat me to it.

1stTimeCaller
10/10/2006, 09:41 AM
you two are thinking about a baker's dozen.

dumasessss

IB4OU2
10/10/2006, 09:49 AM
These will come in handy now-

http://www.losangeles.af.mil/SMC/PA/Fact_Sheets/dsp_fs.htm

Mjcpr
10/10/2006, 09:55 AM

Pffft.....Radio is more accurate than those things.

JohnnyMack
10/10/2006, 09:56 AM
Vince Young or like throwing an actual radio at the missles?

Mjcpr
10/10/2006, 09:57 AM
Vince Young or like throwing an actual radio at the missles?

I think either would be equally effective.

1stTimeCaller
10/10/2006, 09:59 AM
do you guys remember in Spies like Us when they use the drive-in screens to shoot at the ICBM and it blows up the MTV satellite and that chick's TV 'splodes cause she was watchin MTV at the time?

I hope they don't shoot the pron satellite.

Howzit
10/10/2006, 09:59 AM

Why don't they just watch Fox News?

IB4OU2
10/10/2006, 10:01 AM
Pffft.....Radio is more accurate than those things.

Radio can't throw worth a sh*t..........

btw, my group built the powers bus for the last one (DSP BLK-23) about 10 years ago.

Howzit
10/10/2006, 10:02 AM
do you guys remember in Spies like Us when they use the drive-in screens to shoot at the ICBM and it blows up the MTV satellite and that chick's TV 'splodes cause she was watchin MTV at the time?

Excellent pernt. Ima start doing screen prints tonight. And printing said screen prints.

And when all the neighbors start beating on my door, yelling, "Hey! We hear you have pron screen prints stashed," they can just forget it.

JohnnyMack
10/10/2006, 10:03 AM

You'd be blind, deaf and dumb.

Cause you're already dumb.

And you'll go blind from pulling on your....

Oh never mind.

1stTimeCaller
10/10/2006, 10:05 AM
You'd be blind, deaf and dumb.

Cause you're already dumb.

And you'll go blind from pulling on your....

Oh never mind.

speak up, I can't hear you

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/10/2006, 02:34 PM

Dumases.

You can't believe anything you read because liberals control written word!

Scott D
10/10/2006, 02:55 PM
I heard after detonating the nuke, Kim Il Jung immediately had his people tune in to the EIB Golden Microphone program to hear what william favor thoughts on it would be.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/10/2006, 02:56 PM
You can't trust anything you hear either...liberals control the airwaves!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/10/2006, 03:00 PM
Watch this but remember...The liberals also control everything you see!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3GPc_yMCE

Funny Albright video ;)

Jerk
10/10/2006, 05:36 PM
Watch this but remember...The liberals also control everything you see!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3GPc_yMCE

Funny Albright video ;)

THAT IS A RIOT!

Thanks!

afs
10/10/2006, 08:25 PM
what in the hell happened to this thread?

OklahomaTuba
10/10/2006, 08:39 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/e/e6/300px-Great_Leader_Comrade_Kim_Jong_Il_(122).jpg

Its really sad how true that video is.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/10/2006, 11:32 PM
Actual footage from today and the UN's response!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKQYsE_Qwec

Scott D
10/11/2006, 03:36 AM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/e/e6/300px-Great_Leader_Comrade_Kim_Jong_Il_(122).jpg

Its really sad how true that video is.

the guy in the middle is trying to guess who has more chins.