PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to fly with Sen. Inhofe?

KABOOKIE
10/8/2006, 09:32 PM
:D

Top News

Senator Inhofe, Aide Uninjured In Runway Mishap
Fri, 06 Oct '06

RV-8 Ground-Looped On KRVS Runway
It was a close call for Oklahoma senator James Inhofe Thursday, when his RV-8 ground-looped on landing at Tulsa's Jones Riverside Airport (RVS). Fortunately, Inhofe (right) and his passenger -- a longtime aide to the Senator -- were unhurt in the mishap.

"No scrapes or bruises. No nicks or cuts. No injuries at all," said Danny Finnerty, who was sitting behind the senator in the tandem aircraft, to the Tulsa World. "We walked away from the plane."

"Everything was fine until the tail wheel hit the runway," Finnerty added. "Jim felt like his rudder control was not what it should have been, so it was mechanical, certainly. As soon as we hit, we fish-tailed and spun around a couple of times. "

The plane didn't fare quite as well in the incident, however -- as Finnerty says the plane (file photo of type, below) suffered significant damage. "The plane looks a lot worse than it was," he said.

Inhofe and Finnerty were returning home after a trip to Guthrie, OK and a campaign stop in Duncan, OK for state legislative candidates.

The 71-year-old senator is no stranger to general aviation, of course. He is a veteran pilot who owns several planes, and has spoken out for general aviation causes many times in the Senate.

This was also not his first scrape with trouble in an airplane -- in 1999, the senator made an emergency landing in Claremore, OK after his Grumman AA-5B threw its entire propeller assembly.

Inhofe also escaped injury in that mishap -- landing the Tiger on a grassy section between the runway and taxiway after the aircraft started to porpoise.

Okla-homey
10/8/2006, 11:07 PM
IMHO, people past 70 (except for Chuck Yaeger, of course) have no bidness flying airplanes. Further, some have no bidness at the controls of any veehickle.

Frozen Sooner
10/8/2006, 11:17 PM
IMHO, people past 70 (except for Chuck Yaeger, of course) have no bidness flying airplanes. Further, some have no bidness at the controls of any veehickle.

Does it make anyone else nervous that Ted Stevens has a pilot's license?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/9/2006, 01:21 AM
And you've chosen 70 because.....

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2006, 01:23 AM
Does it make anyone else nervous that Ted Stevens has a pilot's license?

It makes me nervous that Ted Stevens exists.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/9/2006, 01:27 AM
It makes me nervous that Ted Stevens exists.You go, Teddy! BTW, I never did get your take on the video you sent.

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2006, 01:32 AM
You go, Teddy! BTW, I never did get your take on the video you sent.

Oh yeah yeah, i'll PM you back right now.

mdklatt
10/9/2006, 08:55 AM
Inhofe also made an emergency landing after an engine failure a few years ago.

EDIT:

This was also not his first scrape with trouble in an airplane -- in 1999, the senator made an emergency landing in Claremore, OK after his Grumman AA-5B threw its entire propeller assembly.

Okla-homey
10/9/2006, 09:00 AM
And you've chosen 70 because.....

I don't know. It just felt right and I went with it. I'm crazy like that.;)

mdklatt
10/9/2006, 09:04 AM
I don't know. It just felt right and I went with it. I'm crazy like that.;)

We already have a mechanism in place to get incompetent old farts out the cockpit--flight reviews. Maybe they should change the frequency from 24 months to 12 months once you hit a certain age, but I don't think even that change is warranted based on accident statistics.

Old drivers on the other hand....

KABOOKIE
10/9/2006, 09:05 AM
I don’t know. I’ve been around many pilots and I’ve seen plenty of people of all different ages that shouldn’t be flying. The sport pilot license is still a pretty good thing. The Senator’s RV-8 probably fits the sport category and if he ever balls it up because of old age chances are pretty good it’ll be just him and whoever is with him.

StoopTroup
10/9/2006, 09:06 AM
I say 71. :D

Okla-homey
10/9/2006, 09:07 AM
I don’t know. I’ve been around many pilots and I’ve seen plenty of people of all different ages that shouldn’t be flying. The sport pilot license is still a pretty good thing. The Senator’s RV-8 probably fits the sport category and if he ever balls it up because of old age chances are pretty good it’ll be just him and whoever is with him.

IMHO, if the good senator wants to fly his sporty-planes that's fine I guess, but perhaps he shouldn't fly passengers too.