PDA

View Full Version : Why do people suck at answering emails?

proud gonzo
10/8/2006, 05:39 PM
I've sent I don't know how many emails since wednesday to the people in my tv group about when we're meeting to work on stuff for class. I've left messages on people's phones. i've posted stuff on facebook. nobody's responding to anything and it's making me mad.

birddog
10/8/2006, 05:59 PM
*hint hint*

:)

proud gonzo
10/8/2006, 06:00 PM
people suck at answering emails for the same reason people post messages that look like they're supposed to mean something and even have a smiley face but really don't mean crap?

:) :)

mdklatt
10/8/2006, 06:39 PM
I've sent I don't know how many emails since wednesday to the people in my tv group about when we're meeting to work on stuff for class. I've left messages on people's phones. i've posted stuff on facebook. nobody's responding to anything and it's making me mad.

In my experience, students suck at answering e-mails. Or more accurately, your generation. You young'uns are all about the instant gratification--cell phones and text messages. I hear from a number of students that they only check their e-mail once a week or so, so if I want to get in touch with them I have to call them. Long distance to their cell phone. Even though they live in Norman. :mad:

Back in my day, e-mail was all new fangled, and we-huddled around the warm glow of a VMS or Unix workstation on those long winter nights, just waiting for something to show up in our pine and/or elm inbox. We marveled at being able to talk to someobody across campus or across the country without lifting a phone. And now it's gone full circle back to the phone.

GottaHavePride
10/8/2006, 06:56 PM
In my experience, students suck at answering e-mails. Or more accurately, your generation. You young'uns are all about the instant gratification--cell phones and text messages. I hear from a number of students that they only check their e-mail once a week or so, so if I want to get in touch with them I have to call them. Long distance to their cell phone. Even though they live in Norman. :mad:

Back in my day, e-mail was all new fangled, and we-huddled around the warm glow of a VMS or Unix workstation on those long winter nights, just waiting for something to show up in our pine and/or elm inbox. We marveled at being able to talk to someobody across campus or across the country without lifting a phone. And now it's gone full circle back to the phone.

That's freakin' weird. I check my email about 4 times a day.

mdklatt
10/8/2006, 07:05 PM
That's freakin' weird. I check my email about 4 times a day.

Maybe you're old enough to remember when e-mail was a big deal. I checked my e-mail at least ten times a day when I was a student, and now I'm in front of a computer all day so it's basically continuous.

BajaOklahoma
10/8/2006, 07:45 PM
PG, this is the sucky part of life. It is supposed to prepare you for dealing with the real world where many group members don't do their assignments and the project is done by a few or even one.
Lil Baja was in the same boat last month. The groups were assigned by the teacher and the groups were given due dates from Sept to Nov. Her "group" had two weeks to complete the project and present. One member never attended class and one was assigned to the group on the Thursday before the presentation on Tuesday - with no contact info. Uggggh!

mdklatt
10/8/2006, 07:57 PM
It is supposed to prepare you for dealing with the real world

That pretty much sums up what college is about.