PDA

View Full Version : Are The Coaches Trying To Force The Running Game?

FaninAma
10/8/2006, 02:29 PM
My only complaint with the coaching staff yesterday is that ,unlike Ohio State, they seemed hell bent on establishing a running game and by doing so neglected the medium range passing game that seemed to be working in the first half.

The play calling to start the 3rd quarter was really bad and allowed UT to get great field position.

BTW, Colt McCoy is horrible about locking onto his primary receiver. We just never made him pay for it.

GottaHavePride
10/8/2006, 02:32 PM
I think so, and I've said it in a few threads already.

FaninAma
10/8/2006, 02:56 PM
I think it's time the coaching staff stopped worrying about trying to win the Heisman for Peterson and start worrying about developing a gameplan that gives OU the best chance of winning.

T_Boner
10/8/2006, 03:58 PM
I think they were going with the standard (imagine that) game plan of coming out strong from halftime and pound AD, establish running, ball control, wear down Texas, etc…the problem is that game plan only seems to work against weaker opponents and Texas knew it was coming…

OUmillenium
10/8/2006, 04:00 PM
Great posts in this thread. I agree, too conservative to start the 2nd half.

Where was the QB run game?

With new clock rules, you do not have as much time/plays to waste. Gotta go for the jugular quickly.

soonerthanu
10/8/2006, 04:06 PM
If we would have came out tossing the ball around and not made any plays people would be saying why are we not running AD. Its a catch 22 and no matter what plays are called unless they work people will always seconed guess.

BASSooner
10/8/2006, 04:49 PM
We were trying to force the run quite a bit in this game. KW tried to balance both pass and run out pretty well. I favor his scheme to be unpredictable but I do not favor him trying to balance the pass/run ratio. In the past games, if we passed a lot in the beginning, he tries to force the run near the end which, most of the time, does NOT work. You could argue with me that AD still is able to rush over a 100 yards per game, but lots of the time, it just does not work. My point is, he should focus on execution rather than balance.

FaninAma
10/8/2006, 04:56 PM
If we would have came out tossing the ball around and not made any plays people would be saying why are we not running AD. Its a catch 22 and no matter what plays are called unless they work people will always seconed guess.

That's true but look at the yardage produced yesterday. Texas' weak spot was their LB's and DB in coverage. The strongest part of their defense was their DL and their run defense. If Ohio State had tried to force the running game then UT would probablly be undefeated this year.

GottaHavePride
10/8/2006, 04:58 PM
Yeah, those 10-yard passes were killing the Texas D, but when you throw a 10-yard route on 3rd and 18 it doesn't do any good.