PDA

View Full Version : Torre to be fired

tulsaoilerfan
10/8/2006, 02:15 PM
Several news sources in NY are reporting that Lou Piniella will replace Joe Torre as Yankee manager; i guess it's easier to replace the manager than to get rid of all the has beens like Johnson, Sheffield, and the most overpaid player in baseball, AKA E-Rod; Torre deserves better than this from Steinbrenner

Scott D
10/8/2006, 02:16 PM
wonder if GDC still thinks he deserves manager of the year.

BeetDigger
10/8/2006, 09:51 PM
That is the best news I have heard for a long time. Torre is the best asset that team has. I like Lou, but lets see how his style fits with that collection of talent.

I know that a lot of teams will want Torre, but I think that he will ultimately take a year and see if St. Louis opens up.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/9/2006, 12:22 AM
Ahhh, we're getting closer to that magical period Yankee-haters proudly call the "salad days," the late 1980s. And Sweet Lou was in the dugout during the beginning of the decline. It's deja vu all over again.

JohnnyMack
10/9/2006, 02:35 PM
wonder if GDC still thinks he deserves manager of the year.

Heh.

GrapevineSooner
10/9/2006, 02:43 PM
I like 'delirious' Steinbrenner over 'I'll come to my senses and allow Cashman to assemble the team and Torre to manage it' Steinbrenner.

GrapevineSooner
10/10/2006, 02:18 PM
Damn you, Steinbrenner, for keeping Torre. :mad: ;)

Scott D
10/10/2006, 02:45 PM
I heard something interesting yesterday in regards to Torre. It was pointed out that for all of the regular season success the Yanks have had, Torre's more of a personality manager than a strategy manager.

TUSooner
10/10/2006, 05:17 PM
I hate it when Steinbrenner does the smart thing.

TopDawg
10/10/2006, 05:21 PM
The job Torre did managing the team this year with all the injuries certainly earns him consideration for manager of the year. I don't think he deserves to be crowned THE manager of the year, but he certainly did a good job.

And strategy has very little to do with the Yankees' post-season problems the last few years. It's a sudden inexplicable lack of offense in the post-season. They haven't been a formidable post-season team since giving up the series to Boston.

Scott D
10/10/2006, 07:18 PM
The job Torre did managing the team this year with all the injuries certainly earns him consideration for manager of the year. I don't think he deserves to be crowned THE manager of the year, but he certainly did a good job.

And strategy has very little to do with the Yankees' post-season problems the last few years. It's a sudden inexplicable lack of offense in the post-season. They haven't been a formidable post-season team since giving up the series to Boston.

General perception seems to be that the team felt Torre gave up when he started Jaret Wright instead of bringing Wang back for game 4. Moving A-Rod in the lineup twice when he was starting to hit decently certainly screwed with his fragile psyche.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/10/2006, 07:46 PM
The problem is that baseball is changing. You need 1 or 2 great starters, 2 or 3 good starters. You need a lineup that can produce runs through lots of different ways.

sooneron
10/10/2006, 10:00 PM
You heard it from someone in the ****storm, Torre is back back for ONE year to fill his contractual obligation, that is it. Then, he's gone.

TopDawg
10/11/2006, 12:22 PM
General perception seems to be that the team felt Torre gave up when he started Jaret Wright instead of bringing Wang back for game 4. Moving A-Rod in the lineup twice when he was starting to hit decently certainly screwed with his fragile psyche.

Well I don't know much about what the perception seems to be, but I do know what I saw and that was a bunch of Yankees who couldn't string together any hits after Game 1.