PDA

View Full Version : EZ says home & home

Flagstaffsooner
10/8/2006, 11:08 AM
Candidate wants game against Texas moved

By Michael McNutt
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - If he has his way, E.Z. Million will have a hard time finding a place to sit in any of the restaurants along Campus Corner during the Red River Rivalry weekend two years from now.
Million had no trouble finding a seat during lunch hour Saturday, a couple hours before the kickoff of the University of Oklahoma-University of Texas football game in Dallas.
Million, who has been pushing since 1993 to have the Red River Rivalry be a home-and-home series, said it's plausible the game could be played in Norman in October 2008.
The economic impact of the OU-Texas game has been estimated to be $30 million to $40 million for the city of Dallas.
"It's not about football," Million said. "It's about tourism and economic development. All tourism is economic development."
Voter decisions
The Red River Rivalry has been played in Dallas since 1929. If OU and Texas would decide to make it a home-and-home series, the games would be played in Norman every other year. OU is the home team in even-numbered years; the games would be played in the recently remodeled Gaylord Family -- Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.
Million, an independent candidate for lieutenant governor on the Nov. 7 ballot, said he also will be watching Election Day returns 200 miles away. Dallas voters will be voting on a dozen bond issues, including one that would provide $30 million in improvements for the Cotton Bowl, where the Red River Rivalry is played.
"The fate of the OU-Texas game is now in the hands of the Dallas voters on November 7," he said.
If voters approve the measure to provide money to improve the Cotton Bowl in time for the 2009 season, the game probably could not be played there in 2008 because of construction, Million said. If voters reject the Cotton Bowl improvement issue, it's possible Texas would play next year's game at its stadium in Austin, Million said. Seating capacity at the Austin stadium is being increased to 90,000, and suites and sky boxes are being added, similar to improvements made to OU's football stadium in 2003.
"Surely if they take the game to Austin, surely our people would be willing to play it here in Norman," Million said.
Tourism focus
Legislators next year should consider a measure requiring all Oklahoma taxpayer-supported colleges and universities to play their regularly scheduled conference home games within the state, he said.
Or legislators could call an election in November 2008 to have voters decide whether the OU-Texas game should be played every other year in Norman, Million said. To give voters an idea of what they're voting on, legislators should require the OU-Texas game be played in Norman in 2008, he said.
"Then we'll know a month later what we're voting on," he said.
Having the Red River Rivalry in Norman would be an economic boost to the state, Million said. It would bring many people in from outside the state, which would increase tourism for the state, one of the main goals of the office of lieutenant governor, Million said.
While there may only be 4,000 visitor tickets available, many fans would come for the game, he said. "Three weeks ago in Austin, Ohio State played Texas -- 35,000 Buckeyes fans showed up," he said.

Discuss:pop:

GottaHavePride
10/8/2006, 11:28 AM
EZ Million = Aggie *********.

sooner518
10/8/2006, 11:37 AM
who the hell is E.Z. Million? and why the hell would anyone elect someone named E.Z. Million to any sort of public office? He sounds like a used car salesman

sendbaht
10/8/2006, 11:43 AM
I just want to win, they could play it at Grove HS if they want.

Flagstaffsooner
10/8/2006, 11:47 AM
who the hell is E.Z. Million? and why the hell would anyone elect someone named E.Z. Million to any sort of public office? He sounds like a used car salesman
http://www.ezmillion.net/images/EZ-sm.jpgElmer Zen "E.Z." Million
Restoring Oklahoma's State Pride & Image
Personal Info (http://www.ezmillion.net/personalinfo.htm)
Lieutenant Governor (http://www.ezmillion.net/politicallinks.htm)
OU vs. Texas (http://www.ezmillion.net/ouvstexas.htm) Speech (http://www.ezmillion.net/regentsaddress.htm) Contact ([email protected])

Let's get Fired Up....... There is much to be done:

Play the OU-Texas Game in Norman in October 7,2006, and then

Establish the "Heartland (of America) Bowl in December 2007Calendar:
October 2004: After promising in 2002, to allow our 2004 Home Game with Texas to be played in Norman, OU's corrupt President, David Boren, sends the Game back to Dallas. Total economic damage to the State's economy since 1996 = $ 200,000,000
September 2005: The Sooner Chamber of Commerce discovers that Boren is stuffing his pockets with Texas money. Our best estimates are that Boren has made nearly $ 20,000,000 in eleven years as the President of the University of Oklahoma (since Nov. 1994) with most of this amount coming from Dallas area corporations.
October 2005:
The LAST OU-Texas Game at the Cotton Bowl (Texas is the Home Team in the odd-numbered years.)
January 2006: The UT Regents announce plans to add suites to Royal Stadium and increase seating capacity to 90,000 seats for the Fall 2007. While OU endorses the City of Dallas request for a 10-year extension on the Cotton Bowl agreement, UT does not.
April 2006: The Sooner Chamber of Commerce launches their "Boot Boren" campaign to force this corrupt administrator into retirement. Also, the legislature is asked to take action with a short statement: "All Oklahoma state-supported colleges & universities Must Play their Regularly Scheduled Home Games in the state."
May 2006: The final OU Regents meeting will be held in Norman on May 12th. The Oklahoma Legislature adjourns on May 26th
June 7, 2006:
The candidate filing period closes
October 7, 2006: The OU-Texas Game is scheduled to be played in Norman.
Q: Will Boren try again (for the 6th time) to move it to Dallas ?
A: If so, the Sooner Chamber of Commerce will ask the courts
to issue an injunction based upon "irreparable economic harm ... to prevent the OU football team from leaving the state, i.e.
"Play the Texas Game in Norman, or don't play it at all."

November 7, 2006: The General Elections: Governor, Lt. Governor, etc. and also, State Senators (24); and State Representatives (101)
October 2007: The Texas-OU Game will be played in Austin, TX.

Office: Sooner Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 950
Norman, OK 73070
(405) 366-7800
(405) 321-6967 FAX
e-mail: [email protected] ([email protected])

AlbqSooner
10/8/2006, 11:52 AM
EZ was a business professor at OCU and he was a ****** then too. He fails to account for the fact that there will not be the influx of 38,000 texass fans when the game is played in Norman since the tickets available to them will be in the range of 10,000 max. Take away the state fair of texass and the general atmosphere of the game as it is now and has been, and you will not get many, if any, people coming to town without tickets just to enjoy the party atmosphere.

Bad idea EZ - other than the Lottery, there is no way to an easy million.

Texas
10/8/2006, 12:00 PM
dont forget the fact that OU gets to host recruits in dallas when you are the home team.

this dude = ******.

Flagstaffsooner
10/8/2006, 12:05 PM
this dude = ******.Yes he is and so are you whorn.:texan:

Texas
10/8/2006, 02:01 PM
i guess that makes me the ****** with scoreboard :o

silverwheels
10/8/2006, 04:15 PM
I experienced my first RRS yesterday, and I have to say, **** you EZ Million. This game should never be moved from the Cotton Bowl during the Texas State Fair. Anyone who says otherwise is only interested in money or has never been to OU/Texas. Dallas is where the game belongs you sorry *** ********* piece of ****.

the_ouskull
10/8/2006, 04:32 PM
"It's not about football," Million said.

Since when is the OU / Tejas game not about football. All this f'in' guy is is another politician trying to find a way to get his hands on some "clean" money. When we take the tradition of college football and make it more about the money, that's a problem, not a "business decision."

the_ouskull

FaninAma
10/8/2006, 04:48 PM
i guess that makes me the ****** with scoreboard :o

No, the Texas players have scoreboard. You're just a ******.

badger
10/8/2006, 06:25 PM
There are many OU and UT alums in Dallas who want a "home game" and can't get season tickets. I think we play in Dallas the same reason we schedule away games at Tulsa (even though we'd make more $$$ by having Tulsa come to OU if they want to play us).

Statalyzer
10/8/2006, 10:18 PM
There is no reason this game should ever go home-and-home, even if Dallas doesn't do much to the stadium. This 50/50 split game atmosphere represents the best of college football, even more than most bowl games do, and we don't need to try and play it in Reliant Stadium II. If the whiney big money donors are upset they can't get a luxury suite, they let someone else's *** endure the hardship and horror of watching a game outdoors and they can watch it from the luxury suite known as their living room.

yermom
10/8/2006, 10:26 PM
I experienced my first RRS yesterday, and I have to say, **** you EZ Million. This game should never be moved from the Cotton Bowl during the Texas State Fair. Anyone who says otherwise is only interested in money or has never been to OU/Texas. Dallas is where the game belongs you sorry *** ********* piece of ****.

word.

TUSooner
10/8/2006, 10:30 PM
As a kid, I often wondered how OU could play the university of tejas in tejas, and at the tejas state fair, no less, and call it a "neutral site."

That was before I knew about the 50-50 ticket split, plus, I'm embarrassed to say I have never been to the RRS. I figurethe cuirrent set-up is a ploy by tejas to increase the quality of attendees of their fair.

In other words, I got nuthin.

badger
10/8/2006, 10:45 PM
hey resident alabama and auburn fans--- do you wish your game was still at a neutral site?

BudsBoy
10/8/2006, 10:50 PM
Well you could have convince me on home and home during my 90 minutes to get from the parking lot on the southeast corner of the stadium to the Central Expressway on my way to Plano. Game over - arrive in Plano 8 pm. Not cool.

Tidefan36854
10/8/2006, 10:51 PM
Being from Alabama, and being a 'Bama fan I have never been to a RRS. However, I have always hoped to be able to experience it because of the history and tradition of the game. I've always been told that the atmosphere of the RRS is awesome. Even though Legion Field was an obsolete dump compared to Bryant-Denny Stadium and AU's Jordan Hare Stadium, I miss the Iron Bowl at LF. There were tons of reasons given why Alabama and Auburn playing home and home would be SO much better, but at the end of the day, we as fans lost a part of history that my childern will never experience. I just hope a sleazy politician doesn't take away a game of that magnitude for you guys...

Tidefan36854
10/8/2006, 10:52 PM
hey resident alabama and auburn fans--- do you wish your game was still at a neutral site?

Wow, I was writing my previous post before even seeing this but absolutely, YES!!

GottaHavePride
10/8/2006, 10:54 PM
I'm still not sure why he thinks he - as a politician - should have any say in a football decision. that's the realm of university presidents, athletic directors, and football coaches, not politicians.

Tidefan36854
10/8/2006, 11:03 PM
I'm still not sure why he thinks he - as a politician - should have any say in a football decision. that's the realm of university presidents, athletic directors, and football coaches, not politicians.

It's simple. Politicians are salesmen. Everybody is lobbying for something, and every politcian's vote is for sale or trade for something else. EZ would milk the fact that HE brought (EZ) Millions of dollars of revenue to OK rather that letting Texas have it.

There is a new Kia Auto plant currently being built about 6 miles from the Alabama/Georgia state line that almost didn't happen because Georgia politicians were afraid that some Alabamians would get some of THEIR jobs. They almost lost it all together to Mississippi because of the lobbying of their so-called leaders in GA. Greed sells, and everybody's buying...