PDA

View Full Version : I am probably going to get negged for this but....

nBoSTP
10/8/2006, 05:34 AM
As much as I love Paul Thompson right now, it may be time to start grooming a QB for next season. I know that Paul has earned the right to start every remaining game for the sooners. What I am saying though is get who they think will be the starter next season some valuable snaps in the second quarter of games so he isn't completely green next season.

sooneron
10/8/2006, 07:24 AM
It would help if that starter were on campus. I guess is COULD be Joey or Sam, I agree that someone is going to need some snaps, but the RRS is not the time, if that's what you're saying. Paul managed a decent game today. decent. I think they only added 2 wrinkles in the two weeks leading up to this game. two

MarylandSooner
10/8/2006, 07:28 AM
In a way I am in agreement with you, it would not hurt to start getting Joey or Sam some series throughout the game if possible. We are one big hit from having to use them anyway. Also, I think we might need to start giving some of those other freshman de-backs some playing time (Franks). Just a thought.

Scott D
10/8/2006, 07:36 AM
Should you get negged? nah

Should you be called out for being "Stuck in Stupid Gear"? absolutely.

nBoSTP
10/8/2006, 08:29 AM
I am not following you on why I am "Stuck in Stupid Gear"?

OUHOMER
10/8/2006, 08:40 AM
I am not following you on why I am "Stuck in Stupid Gear"?

We still have a chance of going 10-2 with a nice bowl game. Which means we still need to win and kick some a$$ along the way. Pulling PT does not make sense. If we are up like we are against middle tenn, then yes give them some snaps other wise we need to score and score big. Like you said I might get Neg for this, Even you knew it would not be a popular statement:rolleyes:

nBoSTP
10/8/2006, 08:43 AM
I want Paul Thompson to continue to be our Quarterback. Why cant we get a young QB some meaningful snaps ala Tim Tebow at Florida.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/8/2006, 08:53 AM
Seriously, I like Haizle and Bradford...but to even put them in the same category as Tebow at this point is crazy. This team is going to be favored in every game the rest of the way!!! It isn't like we are staring down the barrel of a 5-6 season...some of you people are bat **** crazy. I mean seriously, it was almost as bad last year after the TCU game and lots of people were saying we wouldn't win but maube 1 or 2 games...and we all know last season turned out so horrible!

TUSooner
10/8/2006, 08:57 AM
I agree we should groom next year's QB - whenever he have a 5-TD lead in the 2d half of our remaining games. We had one tough loss and we're definitely out of the hunt for the MNC. But that's no reason to write off the season "til next year." BOOMER SOONER

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/8/2006, 08:58 AM
I want Paul Thompson to continue to be our Quarterback. Why cant we get a young QB some meaningful snaps ala Tim Tebow at Florida.

because that's how teams tailspin to 6-6. you saw it with oregon and bellotti's fascination with getting leaf snaps. it absolutely killed all of their momentum.

i don't think there is any way we are favored at mizzou.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/8/2006, 08:59 AM
True, Mizzou might shock the world!! Ewing theory in full effect

nBoSTP
10/8/2006, 09:01 AM
I am not giving up on the season I just dont want next season to be another year we have to suffer with an inexperienced QB

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/8/2006, 09:04 AM
Well we are going to have an inexperienced QB no matter what. The key is that the O-Line should be making the step from Solid to wrecking ball

nBoSTP
10/8/2006, 09:05 AM
I would also like to see our D force more stuff instead of letting stuff happen to them.

DrZaius
10/8/2006, 09:09 AM
PT should play the rest of the season. He is our best chance to win out the rest of the season.

GrapevineSooner
10/8/2006, 11:05 AM
Giving one of our younger QB's snaps sounds all well and good. But we still have a chance to go 10-2 or 9-3. In the end, having a better record far outweighs any good de-greening a QB would at this point.

Plus, PT doesn't deserve that. He bailed our coaching staff out of a potentially difficult situation after Bomar was dismissed. He's our man and he deserves to be our man through the end of the year.

FlatheadSooner
10/8/2006, 11:16 AM
Paul earned his way into his starting position and he's performed beyond anyone's expectations. I thought he, again, was one of the bright spots in yesterday's game.

That being said, I agree with getting the backup some playing time - when it's appropriate.

tulsaoilerfan
10/8/2006, 11:17 AM
Speaking of next season, how bad of a situation are we going to be in at QB? Are we going to have to start a true freshman?

sooner518
10/8/2006, 11:40 AM
start the best guy. if we get ahead by a good margin, get the next guy as many snaps as we can, and let him throw the ball a little bit.

TXBOOMER
10/8/2006, 12:09 PM
because that's how teams tailspin to 6-6. you saw it with oregon and bellotti's fascination with getting leaf snaps. it absolutely killed all of their momentum.

i don't think there is any way we are favored at mizzou.

Agree about Mizzou. If we go into the season next year with a green QB it is gonna suck. I like having a chance to win the Big 12 and I don't like OUr chances with the third year in a row with a green QB minus AD. I don't think there is anyway we would lose 4 more on this schedule letting Bradford get some meaningful time. Halzle is not the man, the coaches have pretty much said that indirectly and off the record. They need to get a football player from a JUCO that can play the position as a starter or back up. Too bad they didn't go after Chase Daniel (Bomar' Red Shirt arse f$$$ed that up).

Crimson Kid
10/8/2006, 01:38 PM
We need to get those green qb's some playing time, or we'll be in the same boat next season, if it's a tight game i see leaving the starter in, but if he's doing poorly or were in a blowout, put them and and get them some exp for next seaon so they won't be deer's in headlights.

Scott D
10/8/2006, 01:47 PM
Speaking of next season, how bad of a situation are we going to be in at QB? Are we going to have to start a true freshman?

I'd recommend looking at 2008 in regards to next season.

Echoes
10/8/2006, 02:11 PM
I know what ya mean man, about getting a new qb some snaps. I don't really feel that way, I think we will be fine.

I think that Bradford will be a stud, he certainly has the physical attributes for it at least.

I have a question though for you guys, something I never understood. Why is it that the quarterback position is the only one that you have to be 'trained' for? Is what I mean by this is, like last year we kept encouraging Bomar and what not, saying that he just does not have enough experience there yet, he needed more practice. What is the year on the bench watching, and the year he spent practicing day in and day out at the college level provide then?

Basically is what I am trying to say is, why do newly starting quarterbacks get all this 'training slack' in real game experiences? I know that the quarterback position is probably the hardest on the field, but still... We play people at the beginning of the year who has never played, and if they screwup, they're done.

Scott D
10/8/2006, 02:15 PM
the expectations of a quarterback are vastly different. the need to read a situation, discern coverages, know your receiving options are all things that generally tend to come over time. Most first year starters especially if they are Freshman - Sophmore know their first read, but not their second, third, etc.

I'd argue it's not the only position that it's risky to have inexperience, but at safety also.

Echoes
10/8/2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I mean I would definetly agree that its the hardest position on the field, and would take a lot of poise. But I don't know, is it really that much harder then say a linebacker? What about a running back, having to find holes and hold onto the ball? It just seems that I would want our QB's to be more prepared when they hit the field for the first time. With Bomar last year, and whoever starts next year. I would have suspected a year to observe the college game from the sidelines, as well as observing the quarterbacks in front of you and practicing for days and days would make you more able to come out there and be ready to go with it.

Scott D
10/8/2006, 02:41 PM
The best way that I can think to describe it, is that it takes getting to a certain point for the game to visually 'slow down' for a quarterback. Game experience is pretty much the only way to do that.

FaninAma
10/8/2006, 02:54 PM
I am a little more optimistic bout the QB situation for one reason....Huepel is a helluva a QB coach. I think you can credit him for the improvement in Thompson. I can't wait to see what he can do with a player like Bradford.

oufan199
10/8/2006, 04:16 PM
I am a little more optimistic bout the QB situation for one reason....Huepel is a helluva a QB coach. I think you can credit him for the improvement in Thompson. I can't wait to see what he can do with a player like Bradford.

I like your comment. Thompson has indeed been better than most of us hoped, but he's still not very good for a program of OU's caliber. He's certainly not a national-championship type QB. To Thompson's credit, he's been a team player and he's done the best he can. Looking back, it was a flat-out crime to pull him after ONE game of his starting career in 2005 against TCU. The coaches thought they were making the best move at the time, but in retrospect it was a disaster.

OUstud
10/8/2006, 06:12 PM
True, Mizzou might shock the world!! Ewing theory in full effect

YMSSRA

badger
10/8/2006, 06:34 PM
As much as I love Paul Thompson right now, it may be time to start grooming a QB for next season. I know that Paul has earned the right to start every remaining game for the sooners. What I am saying though is get who they think will be the starter next season some valuable snaps in the second quarter of games so he isn't completely green next season.
do we have a tim tebow...