PDA

View Full Version : Effect of RRS on Recruiting

Desert Sapper
10/8/2006, 04:49 AM
Okay, I know I'm not the first to think it, but I'm wondering from some of the gurus here what the effect of the RRS will be on recruiting. The only thing that I can think of that might be a positive for us is that Colt McCoy looked like the starter of the future. Could that maybe swing a certain somebody OUr way? Trying to stay optimistic about losing on the biggest stage to the biggest team in the biggest state that we pull kids from.

man00
10/8/2006, 11:05 AM
I think Texas already have just about everyone they wanted, OU will have to fight it out with the rest of Big 12 schools for the left overs.

Desert Sapper
10/8/2006, 01:20 PM
When I said gurus I meant somebody that actually might know a little about recruiting...not a whorn homer. Sorry for the confusion.

Scott D
10/8/2006, 02:01 PM
he's pretty much got it right. Texas generally tends to get first pick of players out of their state. We'll find out how it'll sway those who may or may not be sitting on the fence.

The Consumate Showman
10/8/2006, 04:21 PM
Sapper, I've been on the phone since yesterday. Let me get some things straightened out and I'll let you know something this evening. Try to stay positive. I think you have to remember: OU outgained UT on offense, and, if not for some horrendous calls/no-calls, our D would have done much better(i.e. - the Sweed push off of DJ and the lateral TD). If we take away those two scores and assume that UT probably would have got a FG on the Sweed pass int call, the score is 17-10 and we might have had a chance to drive the field after the lateral call and score to tie it up.

Desert Sapper
10/9/2006, 12:17 AM
he's pretty much got it right. Texas generally tends to get first pick of players out of their state. We'll find out how it'll sway those who may or may not be sitting on the fence.

We've held OUr own in the past in Texas. This year, the MNC has given Texas a big boost with instate and some out of state kids. I'm just looking for a realistic assessment of where some of the kids we were in the hunt for are standing now. I'm not looking for 'We're Texas. We already locked up the best kids in the state. OU will have to deal with the table scraps.' There is a huge volume of great prospects still undecided in Texas. I'm hoping we are still holding OUr own after losing two RRS in a row. I'm also wondering if Colt's performance might give a certain unmentionable QB recruit cold feet. We all know that commitments prior to signing day are non-binding. I know the prospect of starting at OU next year or in 2 years is much greater than the same prospect at UT. Colt is the man. We saw that when he stepped into the pressure to make that throw.

Scott D
10/9/2006, 12:51 AM
If you are referring to quarterback, I would hope they'd have enough sense to not look for one in the state of Texas.

man00
10/9/2006, 08:48 AM
When I said gurus I meant somebody that actually might know a little about recruiting...not a whorn homer. Sorry for the confusion.

Would it make you feel better if I said OU will the picks of who they want?
But that would be a lie..OU held its own recruiting against Texas when OU
was winning, they will take a hit in Texas.

The Consumate Showman
10/9/2006, 08:58 AM
Okay Sapper. Sorry I didn't post yesterday evening. From what I gathered by talking to many of my freinds and family that live in Texas and have some kind of "knowledge" of said recruits, the general feel that I get is that the loss of the RRS will NOT hurt us as much as many people are thinking. What we have to keep in mind is that UT always takes about 3 RB's in every class...every year; the same goes for OLinemen. I think what a lot of recruits were really looking at weren't necessarily the final score, but rather, how did the teams respond and deal with what went on in the game. I think that the recruits OU are really concerned with in the '08 class realized that it was an unfortunate day for OU and they turned the ball over too many times to be successful...also, the lateral call and the Sweed TD where he O B V I O U S L Y pushed off on DJ were unfortunate calls/missed-calls. It's like Dean said last night, when it rains, it pours and right now OU is getting a monsoon of bad calls/no-calls/missed-calls. What OU has to do to prove to a lot of these recuits that they should come to OU is play well the rest of the way, IMO - win out!, and finally, show the nation that our players can rise above adversity and develop into a good 10-2 team and go to the Cotton Bowl. I think if we can win out and have a good time doing it, we will get a lot of said recuits that have been discussed.

Now, for this year's class, I don't know if we'll get Tolliver. The weird thing about him is that he does NOT want to go to UT, he has said that he likes lsu, but he was at the RRS cheering for OU. I think it's a toss up right now on this kid. He makes everyone scratch their heads and wonder. If I had to make a guess, I would say we have about a 60% chance to get him. He is actually one of the few recruits that i don't have any way of finding out things on, so I have to rely on what others say. It's hard to judge him. I still worry about getting Romine to get off the domers bandwagon and come to his family school. I think we might have a hard time swaying Christian Scott to come to OU now; if he does commit to us, I think it will be based on the fact that when he came to Norman, he enjoyed the hell out of his trip. I would like to see us go after Frank Alexander a little harder right now and go ahead and get him to commit and there is actually another kid in Louisiana that we have offered, can't remember his name, but by all accounts, he could very well be a good DE prospect for us (think he somehting like 6'4" 260). Also, don't forget about Richetti Jones...the pokes are puking up games left and right and he VERY well could change his mind if the lOSUr D keeps on laying big eggs like they have...

Rogue
10/9/2006, 08:35 PM
I have to think that if you're a good lineman prospect you're looking at OU and thinking "early playing time if I can survive Schmidt." Although I hear that UT is graduating lots of linemen this year.

TopDawg
10/10/2006, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the impact of this one game. Like Switzer said, UT has beaten us two years in a row with kids they recruited when we were beating up on them.

nytehorn
10/10/2006, 07:43 PM
DS, if you are talking about Chiles, you very well could be right. He has already mentioned he verbed to Texas because Mack promised him at least a shot at QB. Now, with Colt looking great, Snead and Harris pressing him, and 5 star Brantley coming in, he would have to really out-perform, which he is absolutely capable of, but may not want to take the chance, when he can go to OU with 90% chance of starting as a true freshman. Chiles is listed on Rivals.com as Athlete, but he wants to play QB. I don't see us being able to sign both 5 star players, and Brantley SEEMS a lock, so Chiles may be looking. I hope not, because he is the best player at any position we have committed, no matter what Rivals says. He is an AWESOME player.

The Consumate Showman
10/10/2006, 08:08 PM
DS, if you are talking about Chiles, you very well could be right. He has already mentioned he verbed to Texas because Mack promised him at least a shot at QB. Now, with Colt looking great, Snead and Harris pressing him, and 5 star Brantley coming in, he would have to really out-perform, which he is absolutely capable of, but may not want to take the chance, when he can go to OU with 90% chance of starting as a true freshman. Chiles is listed on Rivals.com as Athlete, but he wants to play QB. I don't see us being able to sign both 5 star players, and Brantley SEEMS a lock, so Chiles may be looking. I hope not, because he is the best player at any position we have committed, no matter what Rivals says. He is an AWESOME player.

I have bolded some things in your post because I think you have the players mixed up. DO N O T be surprised if Brantley decommits from you guys...later, much later. No matter what Chiles THINKS he is, he will more than likely NOT play QB at UT or OU if he was to decommit. OU is notorious for changing positions of players when they get on campus, so I don't think Chiles will be looking at OU to go to...aTm, TT...maybe. But you UT fans need to keep a close eye on Brantley. With Colt looking like the man in Ausitn for the next 3 years after this one and Snead on his tail and Mack recruiting more QB's in the next year or two, things are liable to get crowded at UT...OU N E ED S a crowd right now, and the Brantley's do know Stoops personally...

Desert Sapper
10/10/2006, 11:31 PM
I have bolded some things in your post because I think you have the players mixed up. DO N O T be surprised if Brantley decommits from you guys...later, much later. No matter what Chiles THINKS he is, he will more than likely NOT play QB at UT or OU if he was to decommit. OU is notorious for changing positions of players when they get on campus, so I don't think Chiles will be looking at OU to go to...aTm, TT...maybe. But you UT fans need to keep a close eye on Brantley. With Colt looking like the man in Ausitn for the next 3 years after this one and Snead on his tail and Mack recruiting more QB's in the next year or two, things are liable to get crowded at UT...OU N E ED S a crowd right now, and the Brantley's do know Stoops personally...

This was pretty much the reason I started this thread. I'm glad somebody else sees this as a possible boon from the emergence of McCoy in the RRS (stepping into the pressure to complete a TD pass on that one drive is the thing of legend -- he solidified himself as the UT starter, and he's only a RS Freshman). I'm praying daily that Brantley sees the light. I can't even imagine what a prep superstar with a good attitude could be like with more than a year under Coach Heupel. At UT, he's likely to sit for at least 3 years. Starting as a RS Junior isn't a bad situation, but starting as a RS Sophomore (or SOONER) is better. OUr receiving corps and line could be a huge sell for a QB, and everybody that follows recruiting knows how much a verbal means at this point in the recruiting season, especially from an out-of-stater.

BIG_IKE
10/11/2006, 07:16 AM
truth be told..I am an avid Texas High School football fan and follower...and from what I have seen Brantley/Chiles > McCoy/Snead

The Consumate Showman
10/11/2006, 09:21 AM
truth be told..I am an avid Texas High School football fan and follower...and from what I have seen Brantley/Chiles > McCoy/Snead

Very true. BUT, do you think Mack is going to put in a true frosh over a red shirt soph like McCoy next year? Not unless Colt goes down from injury. If Gerald Jones from Millwood doesn't go to TT, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chiles decommit also and go to Leach. Apparently, according to some of the whorns lurking around here, they feel he is looking because he wants to play QB.

BIG_IKE
10/11/2006, 09:25 AM
If Mack has any brains he would do whateverhe needs to get Chiles. I would LOVE for him to come to Norman. He has the ability to take over any game..I have never seen nothing like him. He looks more impressive than Young in high school.

CobraKai
10/11/2006, 10:50 AM
The Texas players that have now beat us in back to back years were recruited to a team that had lost 5 straight RRS games.

snp
10/11/2006, 11:26 AM
Chiles would seem like a bad fit for the Tech offense. Too short and not accurate enough to throw the ball 87 times per game.

The Consumate Showman
10/11/2006, 12:05 PM
Chiles would seem like a bad fit for the Tech offense. Too short and not accurate enough to throw the ball 87 times per game.

You're right. I guess I just did't think he would consider aTm because of what might happen with Franny.Maybe he'll go out of state.

snp
10/11/2006, 12:18 PM
Schools in the state of Texas that could beat A&M:

Texas
TCU
Texas Tech
Houston
UTEP
Baylor

Why anyone would go to A&M is beyond me.

JohnnyMack
10/11/2006, 02:16 PM
I hope we do lose out on some big name Saxet recruits. I'd like more Teddy Lehmans and Dan Codys than a bunch of silver spoon 5 stars.

BIG_IKE
10/11/2006, 03:34 PM

Texas
TCU
Texas Tech
Houston
UTEP
Baylor

Hell Rice may be able to get them do....they destroyed Army at Army 48-14

The Consumate Showman
10/11/2006, 08:09 PM
I hope we do lose out on some big name Saxet recruits. I'd like more Teddy Lehmans and Dan Codys than a bunch of silver spoon 5 stars.

No you wouldn't. Teddy's, Rocky's and Dan's don't come in pairs. Therre is usually ONE in each class, M A Y B E two or three if you're lucky. They get those high rankings for a reason and it seems to me that OU has simply had some bad luck in recruiting 4 & 5 stars as of late. But c'mon, would you rather have Gute or AD?

The Consumate Showman
10/11/2006, 08:10 PM

Texas
TCU
Texas Tech
Houston
UTEP
Baylor

You forgot Texas State...;)

nytehorn
10/11/2006, 09:09 PM
I am DEFINATELY not saying any of you are wrong, but after reading SOME of the "insiders" thoughts, Brantley should be ours. And even if he doesn't sign with us, will go to someone closer to home. Of course as we all know, he may sign with anyone in the country, he is well wanted. I tell you what though, I will trade you Brantley for Chiles ANYDAY!! Chiles will be the man no matter where he plays.

Desert Sapper
10/12/2006, 03:38 PM
I am DEFINATELY not saying any of you are wrong, but after reading SOME of the "insiders" thoughts, Brantley should be ours. And even if he doesn't sign with us, will go to someone closer to home. Of course as we all know, he may sign with anyone in the country, he is well wanted. I tell you what though, I will trade you Brantley for Chiles ANYDAY!! Chiles will be the man no matter where he plays.

Have you seen Brantley play? Me neither...

...but Stoops knows his family and HAS seen him play. Mack thought enough of him to offer him a scholarship (when he already has two underclass QBs), and Mack has hardly offered outside of Texas this year. Just sayin'.

nytehorn
10/12/2006, 08:43 PM
What I was saying is, is that Brantley is only a QB, maybe he becomes a superstar, but Chiles has the option of playing ANYWHERE on the field. Yes, we want both. I would LOVE to have 2 years from now, Brantley to Chiles touchdown, but BOTH wants to play QB. Someone has to give in.

Herr Scholz
10/13/2006, 09:54 AM
I'm praying daily that Brantley sees the light.
I wouldn't be the farm on it. Could change though.

But neither Brantley has ever set foot in Norman — and doesn't plan to.

"I'd say it's pretty slim we end up at OU," the dad said. "Will we visit? I doubt it."

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/10/13/13bohls.html

Pretty good article on the UT QB situation next year titled:
Too many quarterbacks of the future?
Mack's latest problem: Will Colt scare everyone away?

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
10/13/2006, 10:41 AM
Also, don't forget about Richetti Jones...the pokes are puking up games left and right and he VERY well could change his mind if the lOSUr D keeps on laying big eggs like they have...

I was curious....how in the holy hell does a stillwater, in BFE, OK land a kid like this from dallas lincoln. Did they throw a new car at him?????? I mean going from dallas to stillwater will be a total shock for him. I hope he comes to the OKLAHOMA school.

The Consumate Showman
10/14/2006, 12:40 AM
I was curious....how in the holy hell does a stillwater, in BFE, OK land a kid like this from dallas lincoln. Did they throw a new car at him?????? I mean going from dallas to stillwater will be a total shock for him. I hope he comes to the OKLAHOMA school.

Right now it seems like he wants to follow his piece of snatch.

man00
11/2/2006, 01:29 PM
I dunno if RRS has any effect of recruiting but right now Texas is #1 in recruitng
and OU is #28 but its a long way off until Feb.
http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp

KingDavid
11/2/2006, 01:59 PM
I dunno if RRS has any effect of recruiting but right now Texas is #1 in recruitng
and OU is #28 but its a long way off until Feb.
http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp

Man for man, Texas already had a more highly ranked class before the RRSO and nothing was going to change that in the RRSO.

A huge factor this year is that Texas can hand out about 2X more schollys than we can . . . We're pretty limited this year, from what I can tell . . . so we'll do very well to finish in the top 10.

Does it matter, though? If we can go back to the days of Mack Brown winning recruiting titles while we win the Big XII and go to the nat'l championship year after year . . . I'll take it.

man00
11/2/2006, 02:10 PM
Does it matter..Nope unless kids are turned off with OU. OU will likely finish in the top 15-20 range. But it is odd seeing OU need for QB, I would tought they
would ink one by now.